{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Morecambe thread sponsored by give me sunshine(kickoff 6.30)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Morecambe thread sponsored by give me sunshine(kickoff 6

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:16 pm

I thought we had a spell of about 25 mins in the first half where we looked really decent. Sweeney missed an absolute sitter, the wingers were putting some really good balls into the box and the goal was really well worked.

I thought we were going to go for the jugular in the second half, but I can't remember a serious attempt on goal? We gave them control of the game and then he brought Bowery on which was a clear signal of intent.

The line up tells us that he has lost faith in his own system. A CB played RB and only one up top after signing enough strikers to play two regularly.

On the face of it a draw away at Morcambe on a wet tuesday night should be considered a reasonable result, but in the context of our season so far, GC's win ratio and the way we are set up to play, simply reinforces my view that he is not the man for the job.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:23 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
James wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:What does Sharpe do anyway?

Knew this rubbish wouldn’t take long. It was Stevo last week, Mez in pre season..

I'm sure someone had a moan about the training facility as well not long ago :lol:

Since that place opened we've got steadily worse. Just saying.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:24 pm

A much improved performance despite the early setback. I thought we held up well after going a goal down and could easily have crumbled.

Perch has settled the back three somewhat although they still look very suspect. We looked much better until we got into their box where we were decidedly average at best. Andy Cook tried well but with no partner was pretty ineffective really. I think he was subbed to prevent him being booked as the refwarned him about persistent fouling.

Bowery offered absolutely nothing and our threat disappeared when Cook went off. Had GC been brave enough to bring Maynard on instead of Bowery I think we could have won but it wasn’t to be.

To sum up, still not great but at least didn’t look like certain relegation fodder. We have the players but need the man to direct them properly.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 pm

sunray wrote:Dempster got no help from the board, Coughlan had the help of a DofF and the results are getting worse.
Caroline was right in her support of Flitcroft. Perhaps the board should swallow their pride and get Caroline to persuade him to return and finish the job

Flitcroft bottled it, not once, but twice. Others who bottled it were the EFL, and referee Charles Breakspear big style in the playoff finals first leg at Newport.

We were truly ROBBED of promotion (as also the UK are the ONLY country NOT using the away-goals ruling in playoffs). FACTS.

Dempster was hampered by loads of injuries early on last season as well as suspensions so he never got the chance to field a settled side. Coughlan's record so far isn't that good, that's true, but yet on a few occasions, the officials have bottled it. Two cases: last season at home to FGR, TOO MUCH injury times in both halves when there was nothing to add more time than stipulated for, and this season (yet again at Newport) a penalty against us which was decisive the wrong way.

Btw, NOT clutching at straws, but posting FACTS.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
James wrote:

Knew this rubbish wouldn’t take long. It was Stevo last week, Mez in pre season..

I'm sure someone had a moan about the training facility as well not long ago :lol:

Pies cold and WSU toilets flooded
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:26 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I thought we had a spell of about 25 mins in the first half where we looked really decent. Sweeney missed an absolute sitter, the wingers were putting some really good balls into the box and the goal was really well worked.

I thought we were going to go for the jugular in the second half, but I can't remember a serious attempt on goal? We gave them control of the game and then he brought Bowery on which was a clear signal of intent.

The line up tells us that he has lost faith in his own system. A CB played RB and only one up top after signing enough strikers to play two regularly.

On the face of it a draw away at Morcambe on a wet tuesday night should be considered a reasonable result, but in the context of our season so far, GC's win ratio and the way we are set up to play, simply reinforces my view that he is not the man for the job.

agreed, two wingers were causing problems and the goal was a great move and clever finish... then that was it. Nothing from the manager.

Meneyese needs to be dropped, play O'keefe where he should be playing and bring benning back. Gordon and Mchlaughln out wide and were getting somewhere.

Perch, Maris and Charsley did well tonight but needed more than cook up top.

But knowing this idiot he will ditch it all and go backwards again. Cook probably dropped on Saturday.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:26 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
James wrote:

Since that place opened we've got steadily worse. Just saying.

We also bottled our best chance of promotion to league one in bloody years, never recovered from it and made bad managerial choices.

Just saying.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:32 pm

What is the point of being the manager if you fall out with players, clearly have favourites and don't play the best players. That to me is mismanagement. The result is an improvement for a desperately poor side. His style of management shows no improvement.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:33 pm

First excuse... I didn't have Clarke, Lapslie or benning... Thats the point of having a squad graham.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Makes me feel sick seeing how well Lincoln are doing (another win for them tonight). A properly run football club unlike us.

I was thinking that myself, what have they done that we haven't? Appoint a good manager :lol:?

They stuck with their manager after failing in the play offs.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 pm

Sedgwick wrote:First excuse... I didn't have Clarke, Lapslie or benning... Thats the point of having a squad graham.

Lapslie was suspended.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:39 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Makes me feel sick seeing how well Lincoln are doing (another win for them tonight). A properly run football club unlike us.

I was thinking that myself, what have they done that we haven't? Appoint a good manager :lol:?

They stuck with their manager after failing in the play offs.

bingo! Sacking a manger for getting us 4th, we deserve everything we get! But onwards and upwards, im sure they've learnt from it.

Interview with radio notts, asked if he will get time.... says it's not up to him.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:26 pm

James wrote:

Why is it 'rubbish'? Genuine question really... Since he's arrived everything has gone downwards...results...recruitment..confidence among the fans it at an all time low so I think we need some kind of statement from him regarding the current situation.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:
James wrote:

Why is it 'rubbish'? Genuine question really... Since he's arrived everything has gone downwards...results...recruitment..confidence among the fans it at an all time low so I think we need some kind of statement from him regarding the current situation.

Another one in the demand it all brigade. Sharpe had no say in this managerial appointment, because he wasnt here when GC was appointed and we've not improved since GC came in, not a Sharpe issue.

Recruitment... if I went back to the threads where all these new signings were announced everyone was buzzing. I don't think we've signed bad players, we've just got off to a bad start and there's obviously a lack of confidence throughout the team. I would also imagine that the players we signed were coughlans targets, maybe some players were suggested by Sharpe.

What do you actually want Sharpe to come out and say? Everyone at the club knows we aren't in a good position right now, I don't see how him coming out and saying that would actually do anything. To blame it on Sharpe is just daft.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:38 pm

I think the recruitment has been shocking, There's no quality in the side at all. That squad is bottom half L2 at best
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:01 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:I think the recruitment has been shocking, There's no quality in the side at all. That squad is bottom half L2 at best

Thanks Sir Alex
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:I think the recruitment has been shocking, There's no quality in the side at all. That squad is bottom half L2 at best

I don't agree with you, fans were pretty pleased when these signings were happening this summer.

Stech - Promoted from league two before in a very good Luton squad.
Rawson - Main stay in a forest green side who were usually up there fighting for promotion
Menayese - Most seemed pleased when he signed, even though we knew little about him
O'Driscoll - One for the future we think
O'Keefe - One for the future but loads had good things to say about him at Macclesfield

O Clarke - a great signing from a mainstay in A league one side
Maris - Always been a steady league two player, has played well against us in the past
Perch - Experience and some steel in midfield

Maynard - Well everyone was buzzing when he re signed, we know what he's about.

There's more I can go on about, I don't think we lack quality. We lack confidence and a good tactical system imo.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:57 pm

Ive been berated for asking the question about David Sharpe, but nobody answered it yet?
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:Ive been berated for asking the question about David Sharpe, but nobody answered it yet?

What do you want him to Al? He’s the chief executive of the club. Just like Carolyn was for the last few years. He oversees the day to day running of the club.

He’s not going to be doing interviews talking about team selection or tactics.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 pm

We are an extremely well run football club, we now own our own ground, have outstanding training facilities and one of the highest wage budgets in the division. I suggest you are talking utter crap. Now if you wish to say that it was a big mistake by our owners to sack a manager who finished 4th then I'd agree. If you say Dempsters appointment was wrong, I'd agree. On paper GC was a good appointment but to date it's not worked out. So are we a poorly run club, absolutely not, have the owners made a couple of bad decisions, yes.

Lincoln have had 2 manager's in 6 years, go figure why they are doing well ......
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:00 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

I don't agree with you, fans were pretty pleased when these signings were happening this summer.

Rawson - Main stay in a forest green side who were usually up there fighting for promotion
Menayese - Most seemed pleased when he signed, even though we knew little about him
O'Keefe - One for the future but loads had good things to say about him at Macclesfield

Maris - Always been a steady league two player, has played well against us in the past

There's more I can go on about, I don't think we lack quality. We lack confidence and a good tactical system imo.

Bobby you forgot to mention Our first choice striker Bowery :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:02 am

Rob wrote:

We are an extremely well run football club, we now own our own ground, have outstanding training facilities and one of the highest wage budgets in the division. I suggest you are talking utter crap. Now if you wish to say that it was a big mistake by our owners to sack a manager who finished 4th then I'd agree. If you say Dempsters appointment was wrong, I'd agree. On paper GC was a good appointment but to date it's not worked out. So are we a poorly run club, absolutely not, have the owners made a couple of bad decisions, yes.

Lincoln have had 2 manager's in 6 years, go figure why they are doing well ......
Rob how "on paper" was GC a good appointment ?

He had little management experience and it shows.

His tatics are basic, his team selection is bizarre and his game management is poor to say the least.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:28 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Rob wrote:

Rob how "on paper" was GC a good appointment ?

He had little management experience and it shows.

His tactics are basic, his team selection is bizarre and his game management is poor to say the least.

Obviously must have been in hibernation for last few months since wage cap came in as all budgets are same for everybody so your talking crap again. DF was rightly sacked for blowing auto promotion in the opinion of JR of course and its his opinion that matter most. Hope GC turns this around and gets us moving up the table but im not expecting getting promoted this season or relegated either. JD started with a poor team and alot of deadwood has now been cleared out and a few bad apples as well. That type of disruption does not go away overnight even with a dozen new players coming in. Given time our results can pick up but changing manager now will make it worse again. Stick with it the signs are getting better cos they reached rock bottom and the only way is up from here.
:coys:
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bros » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:10 am

Surely what is needed is the dreaded vote of confidence
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:18 am

Amber Andy wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Bobby you forgot to mention Our first choice striker Bowery :)

Yeah no one was really buzzing with that signing, I'll give you that one
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum