{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Home camera

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Home camera

Postby 88BenM » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:37 am

Terrible performance aside, the last 2 weeks this camera man has been giving me motion sickness! Zoomed so far in that the only piece of play you can see is what is happening on the ball. No way of seeing the bigger picture, what is happening off the ball with players in space, making runs etc. It must also make analysis difficult to disect, that Bradford 2nd goal, the lad appeared from out of shot and he'd put it past Stech in seconds.

Is it just me? I realise we aren't running with Sky Sports, but it wasn't like this last season! Can somebody have a word and tell him/her to zoom out?
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Home camera

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:54 am

To be fair it might be worth leaving the lens cap on
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:00 am

88BenM wrote:Terrible performance aside, the last 2 weeks this camera man has been giving me motion sickness! Zoomed so far in that the only piece of play you can see is what is happening on the ball. No way of seeing the bigger picture, what is happening off the ball with players in space, making runs etc. It must also make analysis difficult to disect, that Bradford 2nd goal, the lad appeared from out of shot and he'd put it past Stech in seconds.

Is it just me? I realise we aren't running with Sky Sports, but it wasn't like this last season! Can somebody have a word and tell him/her to zoom out?

I thought it was me getting old but, particularly last week, it was quite uncomfortable to watch. Although it has been uncomfortable to watch all season.

In fairness, it is better now it is actually in focus unlike the Tranmere game
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:25 am

Give the lad a break he is still learning the job, a bit like GC.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:29 am

part time pete wrote:Give the lad a break he is still learning the job, a bit like GC.

I don’t think we should give him a break, he should have a medal.

Anything that can divert attention from the dross that our club has descended to is a welcome diversion.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:34 am

the cameraman is provided by IMG who are contracted to provide the footage for Sky Sports, Quest etc etc. There is only one camera in the gantry (in Covid times). I've no idea if he is the same cameraman for home games as last season and previous seasons. To me, it looks similar in terms of zooming in/out to previous seasons at home games. He made a very bad error in the first 25 minutes of the Exeter game when he was out of focus, and you could hear him apologising to the studio at half time on the footage.

the analyst films the game from the West Stand, on a much wider zoom.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 am

Martin Shaw wrote:the cameraman is provided by IMG who are contracted to provide the footage for Sky Sports, Quest etc etc. There is only one camera in the gantry (in Covid times). I've no idea if he is the same cameraman for home games as last season and previous seasons. To me, it looks similar in terms of zooming in/out to previous seasons at home games. He made a very bad error in the first 25 minutes of the Exeter game when he was out of focus, and you could hear him apologising to the studio at half time on the footage.

the analyst films the game from the West Stand, on a much wider zoom.

Do adi tv not provide them anymore? They used to use proper broadcast cameras and were fairly good. I know one cameraman who still works for adi and usually does Burton/ Derby games, has been doing this season also so maybe league two is different.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:30 am

it is certainly a proper broadcast camera. adi tv are no longer involved I don't think, it is now IMG, but I would guess they mostly kept the same cameramen.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby lifestags » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:45 am

Completely agree, I like to watch the whole play when watching the game, like to see who is making them self available for the ball etc

Also really annoying from set pieces, he tries to follow the ball, just zoom out on the penalty box.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:47 am

In the Conference days I was sometimes drafted in to do the filming. You're at a disadvantage with one camera, because you're constantly deciding how far to zoom in. Leave it too wide angle and there's not enough detail to see what's going on, zoom in too close and you may miss something important. Give the guy a break, it's tricky.

I was happy enough if it was all in focus with a good view of the goals, and although my inexperience meant that it was never going to be ideal, at least I managed to cover all the important incidents.

The most difficult one was when Martin drafted me in with less than a day's notice, and the video camera wasn't working, nor the spare. I had to use my home video camera. Which was good quality, but didn't hook up to the club's gear. I didn't have a video tripod either, so had to improvise with a photographic tripod. I forget which game it was but there were loads of goals so I was busy!

Trying to get the footage on DVD was a nightmare. It has to be ready before the away team leaves, and it took ages to get it from the camera to disc. I guess that it's rather easier now, with no DVD burning involved.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:59 am

Bradders wrote:In the Conference days I was sometimes drafted in to do the filming. You're at a disadvantage with one camera, because you're constantly deciding how far to zoom in. Leave it too wide angle and there's not enough detail to see what's going on, zoom in too close and you may miss something important. Give the guy a break, it's tricky.

I was happy enough if it was all in focus with a good view of the goals, and although my inexperience meant that it was never going to be ideal, at least I managed to cover all the important incidents.

The most difficult one was when Martin drafted me in with less than a day's notice, and the video camera wasn't working, nor the spare. I had to use my home video camera. Which was good quality, but didn't hook up to the club's gear. I didn't have a video tripod either, so had to improvise with a photographic tripod. I forget which game it was but there were loads of goals so I was busy!

Trying to get the footage on DVD was a nightmare. It has to be ready before the away team leaves, and it took ages to get it from the camera to disc. I guess that it's rather easier now, with no DVD burning involved.

It is incredibly hard you're right, having a wide and close camera should be the minimum for those reasons... its ace being able to watch at all :)
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:33 pm

It was Mansfield 5-0 Dartford bradders. You did a great job. I was looking at the footage during lockdown.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby diablo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:53 pm

:lol:
wardy12345 wrote:To be fair it might be worth leaving the lens cap on

:lol:
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Bradders » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:It was Mansfield 5-0 Dartford bradders. You did a great job. I was looking at the footage during lockdown.

Thanks. I still have all the raw footage of that one, possibly one of the first matches in HD, but at the time it was all manic action and you couldn't look away for a second. So I was pleased to just not miss anything too crucial.

It was a great experience, although a bit nerve-racking. It's amazing seeing Mark Stevenson behind the scenes as well; there's a lot more to the job than people realise, a lot of pressure, and the club is so lucky to have such a hard working talent in position.

No doubt the filming side is more professional now, but it's fun trying to get something competent out on zero budget.

I'm sure that you know all about the pitfalls of providing football coverage with dodgy equipment. I'm looking forward to your memoirs!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:31 pm

Bradders wrote:In the Conference days I was sometimes drafted in to do the filming. You're at a disadvantage with one camera, because you're constantly deciding how far to zoom in. Leave it too wide angle and there's not enough detail to see what's going on, zoom in too close and you may miss something important. Give the guy a break, it's tricky.

I was in the gantry with you that day and can attest to how much of a pain in the b-side that was, you did a great job in a pinch given the circumstances!
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:37 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:

I was in the gantry with you that day and can attest to how much of a pain in the b-side that was, you did a great job in a pinch given the circumstances!

Thanks. I don't remember anyone else being there, but I didn't have time to look around, and certainly not chat - so sorry if I appeared rude!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum