{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Coughlan

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Conker wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:If the Radfords don't SACK him tonight,then they've completely lost interest in the club. The manager is completely out of his depth and the players were just not bothered,either that, or everyone one if them is useless.

So if they don’t sack him tonight we need new owners aswell? Christ.

But hyperbole that innit! I think it’s Sharpeys recommendation to them (and the board) anyway surely, why employ a CEO and then take decisions for him
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Vice President wrote:I was never convinced at the time that GC was the right choice. He never struck me with confidence. And his lack of eye contact in interviews always concerned me as a manager & motivator - (Sorry, I'm a Psychologist!) - but that isn't the issue.

I do not believe that he has assembled a good enough team - and I don't believe that he (or his coach) can instill sufficient confidence into the current squad.

He is a decent chap, and I like him ... but his record: (win ratio, performances, the defence, tactics, decision making) are appalling. Ultimately, the results are unacceptable.

I'm sorry, but GC needs to go now (as does his assistant).

JR needs to take his time in selecting the right person this time. The right manager might not be available right now. So we might need to appoint an interim caretaker (and that doesn't necessarily have to be an 'internal' appointment - if David Sharpe has any ideal contacts for an interim caretaker for example).

Either way, it is time for a change. Big decision. It is now over to David Sharpe & JR to do the right thing.

Too much blarney no action
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Will be tonight or Tuesday night IMO.

I do think you’re right Belly with your point on another thread re the triumphalism surround being right about a manager failing. It’s no coincidence that this forums at its busiest following a defeat or when the managers under pressure.

The same as every team's forum is.

Have you got any stats on it?

Can knock some stats up for you if you like ‘Parki’. Are you going to change your username every time we get a new manager?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Will be tonight or Tuesday night IMO.

I do think you’re right Belly with your point on another thread re the triumphalism surround being right about a manager failing. It’s no coincidence that this forums at its busiest following a defeat or when the managers under pressure.

The same as every team's forum is.

Have you got any stats on it?

Can knock some stats up for you if you like ‘Parki’. Are you going to change your username every time we get a new manager?

Yes please knock some stats up.

On the last bit you've lost me?? Second username in about 5-6 years???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Staggyfox » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:31 pm

Oh dear oh dear. 2nd bottom....new manager needed? Probably....but who? With several clubs in dire financial straits and on the brink of folding......maybe an in house caretaker to just keep us above the relegation zone.....till a more experienced one comes available.
Staggyfox
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gavinbrookes » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:52 am

bellwhiff wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:Bellwhiff do you think he should go?

Reluctantly yes. I think three half time subs is indicative that he doesn’t have an idea what he’s doing and it’s an admission of getting it wrong.

To be honest, I have never been convinced by Coughlan. I don't think we create enough from open play. The creativity has been sucked out of the midfield and the defence play like bunch of strangers. Alas, he has to go, otherwise this is going only one way.

JR has done a lot for this club. However, I worry that once he finally gets bored/gives up/moves on, his legacy will be tainted by poor and rushed appointments of (largely) inexperienced managers.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:01 am

gavinbrookes wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Reluctantly yes. I think three half time subs is indicative that he doesn’t have an idea what he’s doing and it’s an admission of getting it wrong.

To be honest, I have never been convinced by Coughlan. I don't think we create enough from open play. The creativity has been sucked out of the midfield and the defence play like bunch of strangers. Alas, he has to go, otherwise this is going only one way.

JR has done a lot for this club. However, I worry that once he finally gets bored/gives up/moves on, his legacy will be tainted by poor and rushed appointments of (largely) inexperienced managers.

That certainly seems the case.
He got it right with Cox and Evans ( although the latter didn't honour his contract ), so he can't be blamed for that appointment.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:08 am

Amber Andy wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

He got it right with Cox and Evans ( although the latter didn't honour his contract ), so he can't be blamed for that appointment.

Got it right with Evans? surely he got it right with Flitcroft then who finished higher than any of them
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 am

He did get it right with Cox.

He did get it right with Evans. There was a mentality shift and we were going well, it can’t be denied.

There was nothing wrong with the Flitcroft appointment either once he got in to his full season. The disastrous start was costly at the back end of the Evans season though.

Dempster and Coughlan both really poor appointments though that have set us back years. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think both of them were rushed appointments.

We have to get back to employing an experienced manager with some tangible success on his CV - Our best 2 seasons have come with managers who have. It’s no coincidence.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:23 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Got it right with Evans? surely he got it right with Flitcroft then who finished higher than any of them
He got it wrong sacking David Flitcroft.
I think the appointment in the first place was wrong. We needed someone who would have kept the momentum that Steve Evans had created.
As has been said above the David Flitcroft appointment was too quick.
Strangely enough I think it woukd have been better having John Dempster as caretaker for a few games whilst trying to find a better fit.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:27 am

BH_Stag wrote:He did get it right with Cox.

He did get it right with Evans. There was a mentality shift and we were going well, it can’t be denied.

There was nothing wrong with the Flitcroft appointment either once he got in to his full season. The disastrous start was costly at the back end of the Evans season though.

Dempster and Coughlan both really poor appointments though that have set us back years. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think both of them were rushed appointments.

We have to get back to employing an experienced manager with some tangible success on his CV - Our best 2 seasons have come with managers who have. It’s no coincidence.

I agree DF was a good appointment for the second season and the mistake was to sack him.
For reasons given above DF original appointment was too quick.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:28 am

It's just such a total mess . Where do you start?
Stech . A total liability since he arrived . Stone showing good promise. Logical answer play Stone .
Defence . Is anyone convinced with Rawson or Menayese . Positional sense is diabolical . If either are to survive they need a leader next to them organising . We don't have one .
Midfield . The MTFC Achilles heel of recent times . Clarke looks decent but will probably spend half the season on the medical table . Maris unconvincing . Perch steady but not creative . Lapslie looked good but so did one or two others in the first game like O'Keefe . Still have nobody to open up defences .
Strikers . Maynard . Priven striker getting no service . Cook showing he can score goals and hold the ball up . Natural fit to play together .
Instead we have a Bowery love in from the manager . One of the worst signings I've seen . He can't hold the ball up , has no pace , doesn't win headers and scuffs every shot .
The obvious conclusion is to at least drop him and Stech . Coughlan won't do either .
And the overriding issue is the whole team . What's the plan . What are the tactics . We play with wing backs that don't get over the half way line . No width . We don't get behind them No midfield creativity. A liability leading the line and another at the back of it . A real mess .
Too much for him to turn around in the potentially limited time we COULD have left before this season is POTENTIALLY curtailed early and the trap door opens without a Macclesfield to save us .
Make the change now .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:33 am

My view view is the relatively new CEO should make a decision based on what he is seeing and recommend it to the Chairman/owner.

We should then appoint a caretaker whilst applications are sifted, mark my words there will already be applications on the CEO's mat because that's how football works.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:36 am

victor A block wrote:It's just such a total mess . Where do you start?
Stech . A total liability since he arrived . Stone showing good promise. Logical answer play Stone .
Defence . Is anyone convinced with Rawson or Menayese . Positional sense is diabolical . If either are to survive they need a leader next to them organising . We don't have one .
Midfield . The MTFC Achilles heel of recent times . Clarke looks decent but will probably spend half the season on the medical table . Maris unconvincing . Perch steady but not creative . Lapslie looked good but so did one or two others in the first game like O'Keefe . Still have nobody to open up defences .
Strikers . Maynard . Priven striker getting no service . Cook showing he can score goals and hold the ball up . Natural fit to play together .
Instead we have a Bowery love in from the manager . One of the worst signings I've seen . He can't hold the ball up , has no pace , doesn't win headers and scuffs every shot .
The obvious conclusion is to at least drop him and Stech . Coughlan won't do either .
And the overriding issue is the whole team . What's the plan . What are the tactics . We play with wing backs that don't get over the half way line . No width . We don't get behind them No midfield creativity. A liability leading the line and another at the back of it . A real mess .
Too much for him to turn around in the potentially limited time we COULD have left before this season is POTENTIALLY curtailed early and the trap door opens without a Macclesfield to save us .
Make the change now .

Very well put and spot on.
Just to add though, Sweeney is just as bad as the other two so makes it even bleaker.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:59 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
victor A block wrote:It's just such a total mess . Where do you start?
Make the change now .

Very well put and spot on.
Just to add though, Sweeney is just as bad as the other two so makes it even bleaker.

worryingly i think i remember most of these powder puff signings are here on TWO year contracts
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:01 am

bigalstag1 wrote:If the Radfords don't SACK him tonight,then they've completely lost interest in the club. The manager is completely out of his depth and the players were just not bothered,either that, or everyone one if them is useless.

Or alternatively, they keep him on while searching for a replacement? ;)

That seems the more sensible approach to me
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:14 am

If someone spent time organising the back 4/5 they'd be ok... theyre not the worst players.

In previous seasons when futcher spent a lot of time with the defence.. If white went out to meet an opposing player for example the other 3 would shift across together and fill any gaps and CJ would drop back to cover Mal.. Its one of those things you don't really notice or appreciate but were badly missing it now. Same with if Mal drove forward there was always a shift and cover if we lost the ball..

Also as a team when defending, if the other team were switching play we'd all move scores together and often teams had no way through. Yesterday one pass and flick across the box and were all over the place and wide open and they get their second goal.

Its a mess at present. Maybe the manager can sort it but its a million miles off currently and he needs some ugly wins asap to be given time.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:53 am

The signs that CG was not good enough came from end of last season as improvement to me was minimal but we went with him as not his own players and deserved a chance
The pre season was poor and the season is poor so he must go ASAP and we can’t too far behind this season
Already 8 from even a play off place
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:57 am

tillydog123 wrote:The signs that CG was not good enough came from end of last season as improvement to me was minimal but we went with him as not his own players and deserved a chance
The pre season was poor and the season is poor so he must go ASAP and we can’t too far behind this season
Already 8 from even a play off place

hahahah forget about the playoffs... mid table would be brilliant at this stage
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:27 pm

Sedgwick wrote:If someone spent time organising the back 4/5 they'd be ok... theyre not the worst players.

In previous seasons when futcher spent a lot of time with the defence.. If white went out to meet an opposing player for example the other 3 would shift across together and fill any gaps and CJ would drop back to cover Mal.. Its one of those things you don't really notice or appreciate but were badly missing it now. Same with if Mal drove forward there was always a shift and cover if we lost the ball..

Also as a team when defending, if the other team were switching play we'd all move scores together and often teams had no way through. Yesterday one pass and flick across the box and were all over the place and wide open and they get their second goal.

Its a mess at present. Maybe the manager can sort it but its a million miles off currently and he needs some ugly wins asap to be given time.

That's all I've wanted from GC so far: an organised & hard working team, producing workmanlike performances & functioning as a unit. That for me is the absolute minimum, & fundamental to have before tinkering with any style or attractive play.

The 1st few draws were almost expected while the squad bedded in & there were signs the squad were capable, if far too squanderous in front of goal. However, recently it appears as though we've regressed - the fire seems to gone out of their bellies & tactics questionable

I imagine GC will have a handful of games to try and see if the squad responds & shows more spirit, but imo it'll be a stay of execution while a new Gaffer is sought.
Perhaps there may be some turnaround in the time he has left, but signs are ominously bleak - imo last orders are being called in the last chance salloon
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:48 pm

Nobody can blame JR and Carolyn for appointing GC as manager. He was 4th in League 1 and had just beaten Ipswich Town away. He had a win rate of 44.64% (P56 W25 D18 L13). Mansfield have never appointed a manager from that high in the league before. The likes of Nathan Jones and Paul Tisdale had also already turned us down.

I would always prefer to interview the best candidates but I think even with interviews GC would probably have got the job. He does have the gift of the gab. I think most of us do like him and want him to succeed. His post match assessments are probably the most honest of any Stags manager. On paper, he was a very good appointment but it has just not worked out to date. The only quibble would have been his direct playing style but the Cowleys, Steve Evans, Gareth Ainsworth and Keith Curle have all done well with a similar style. He also only had 56 games as a manager under his belt but Richie Wellens, Ryan Lowe, Neal Ardley and Gary Rowett were all inexperienced managers.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36645
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Nobody can blame JR and Carolyn for appointing GC as manager. He was 4th in League 1 and had just beaten Ipswich Town away. He had a win rate of 44.64% (P56 W25 D18 L13). Mansfield have never appointed a manager from that high in the league before. The likes of Nathan Jones and Paul Tisdale had also already turned us down.

I would always prefer to interview the best candidates but I think even with interviews GC would probably have got the job. He does have the gift of the gab. I think most of us do like him and want him to succeed. His post match assessments are probably the most honest of any Stags manager. On paper, he was a very good appointment but it has just not worked out to date. The only quibble would have been his direct playing style but the Cowleys, Steve Evans, Gareth Ainsworth and Keith Curle have all done well with a similar style. He also only had 56 games as a manager under his belt but Richie Wellens, Ryan Lowe, Neal Ardley and Gary Rowett were all inexperienced managers.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36645

Gary Rowett plays the worst but most effective football ive ever seen. :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:49 pm

How long is Coughlans contract?
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:How long is Coughlans contract?

I'm sure I heard that it was until June 2022 (2.5 year deal) but where I heard that I can't recall. Possibly a news article or most likely a chap "in the know" in the pub. So take it with a huge pile of salt
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:02 pm

If its aslong as that I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum