{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Transfer Deadline Day

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Transfer Deadline Day

Postby Paulstag » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:24 am

Following on from yesterday's press conference it would appear that we may have some incomings and outgoings today.

Who do you think will leave?
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Transfer Deadline Day

Postby oldweststander » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:31 am

Paulstag wrote:Following on from yesterday's press conference it would appear that we may have some incomings and outgoings today.

Much to my disappointnent Benning, he changed the whole aporoach to the game when coming on last Saturday. He does frustrate but I'd always have him in my side.

Dare I say it, Cook, been out of the side recently when, on form, he should have been in the starting eleven.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:39 am

I think Benning may well move on and 1 more is signing today.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:40 am

oldweststander wrote:
Paulstag wrote:Following on from yesterday's press conference it would appear that we may have some incomings and outgoings today.

Much to my disappointnent Benning, he changed the whole aporoach to the game when coming on last Saturday. He does frustrate but I'd always have him in my side.

Dare I say it, Cook, been out of the side recently when, on form, he should have been in the starting eleven.

I do find the whole Cook situation strange.

Last year he wanted away but came back, got his head down, lost weight and was our best player this season and then dropped.

its all very odd
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 am

It would make no sense to let Benning go in terms of the make up of the squad. Unless we signed somebody who can play out an out left back we’ll lose the ability to change the formation to a back 4 - something we were bemoaning the other week before we signed a winger!

He may well want to leave though if he feels that he will find himself out of the team.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:00 am

stag324 wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

I do find the whole Cook situation strange.

Last year he wanted away but came back, got his head down, lost weight and was our best player this season and then dropped.

its all very odd

Quite.

Build the team round him.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 am

Why Benning? We will need a replacement.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:19 am

Although we did look better with Benning on the pitch last week, I don’t think that performance was typical of his games over the last 12 months.

Mal has been one of the biggest disappointments for me knowing what he is actually capable of. I think he has lost his way under this manager and is only a fraction of the player we all came to love and respect.

I can’t see him regaining his previous form while ever GC is in command and from the player’s point of view, a move is probably the best thing. If we are to continue with the same manager, then we shouldn’t stand in Mal’s way and allow him to take up a new challenge and fulfil his obvious potential.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:23 am

I suspect Benning is in the same category as CJ and Rose, contract extension triggered but unwilling to sign a new deal. Gives the club the option of cashing in. He hasn’t looked happy for a while now.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:33 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I suspect Benning is in the same category as CJ and Rose, contract extension triggered but unwilling to sign a new deal. Gives the club the option of cashing in. He hasn’t looked happy for a while now.

I agree Mussy but the question is ‘Who is his replacement even if we were only going to use him as cover for McLaughlin.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 am

Captain Cunno wrote:I think Benning may well move on and 1 more is signing today.

Jason Cummings? :lol: :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:38 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I suspect Benning is in the same category as CJ and Rose, contract extension triggered but unwilling to sign a new deal. Gives the club the option of cashing in. He hasn’t looked happy for a while now.

I agree Mussy but the question is ‘Who is his replacement even if we were only going to use him as cover for McLaughlin.

I think O’Keeffe and Gordon have played LWB in the past. He may feel that’s enough. Not sure on them on pure left backs, but I think he’ll only switch to a back four in desperate circumstances, and I would guess that if he’s in a situation where desperate circumstances are required, he won’t be in a job.

Still, it would help any new manager coming in, unless he’s planning on signing someone today of course.

Callum McFadzean is still a free agent I think.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:13 am

Conker wrote:Why Benning? We will need a replacement.

I agree, maybe with McClaughlin, is that right, out and with a poor injury record, Benning won't be allowed to leave but he doesn't seem to be first choice anymore?

I'd pick him every week, well infront of anyone else.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:27 am

Apparently GC and Benning don't get along very well so won't be surprised. Surely we aren't going to go with just one left sided senior player though? And one thsts not even a left wing back anyway
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:29 am

A genuine argument Benning time here has come to a end considering his form, but we need to bring in somebody else who’s a natural LB/LWB if we let him go.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:30 am

Has that Jake Taylor at Forest signed for anyone yet? Was on loan at Vale last season, We've been linked a couple of times
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 am

Richard Cranium wrote:Has that Jake Taylor at Forest signed for anyone yet? Was on loan at Vale last season, We've been linked a couple of times

Isn't he at Scunthorpe?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:56 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:Has that Jake Taylor at Forest signed for anyone yet? Was on loan at Vale last season, We've been linked a couple of times

Isn't he at Scunthorpe?

Yes he is.

Surely we aren’t going to sign another orthodox central midfielder?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:59 am

I think we need a striker with some pace. We don't have that much mobility up top apart from Reid and he's not the fastest
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:02 pm

Reid looks pacey to me.

I don’t see a problem with our front line, I do see a problem with creating chances for them.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 pm

Conker wrote:Reid looks pacey to me.

I don’t see a problem with our front line, I do see a problem with creating chances for them.

Don't think we need any more midfielders or wide players though, unless one leaves
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Dan wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:I think Benning may well move on and 1 more is signing today.

Jason Cummings? :lol: :D

Good guess :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:23 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Conker wrote:Reid looks pacey to me.

Don't think we need any more midfielders or wide players though, unless one leaves

Agreed - I think our problem is tactically and confidence right now. If we are a bit weak anywhere it’s defence for me.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Paulstag » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Benning to Gillingham???
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby James » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Paulstag wrote:Benning to Gillingham???

No way is Benning L1 standard, despite what he might think.
James
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum