{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Never mind a new gaffer ,will we sign anyone this week

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Never mind a new gaffer ,will we sign anyone this week

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:02 am

it will be a real statement of intent from the club if we don’t sign anyone, after GC told the media he needed a couple of signing
you can almost here the words “ back him, or sack him”
be interesting to see which the club do this week
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:41 am

stagmanrob wrote:If we do sign anyone they'll either be desperate or coming here for the wrong sort of reasons.

No half decent player with ambition is going to want to come here if they look at the league position, manager's record, and do any research into his god awful tactics and system.
I agree. Probably the only hope is a decent youngster or two on loan.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:47 am

stagmanrob wrote:If we do sign anyone they'll either be desperate or coming here for the wrong sort of reasons.

No half decent player with ambition is going to want to come here if they look at the league position, manager's record, and do any research into his god awful tactics and system.

Not sure, few good players still out of contract... Rhys Bennett comes to mind? And other clubs always manage to get wonder kids on loan, another Ben Whiteman will do us ;)
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:54 am

He just needs to keep working on his 3-5-2 system and have a Plan B to go to 4-4-2 or 4-3-4 or 4-2-3-1

Cheltenham were chasing the game last night and they switched from a 3-5-2 system to a 4-2-3-1. It didn't work and they conceded a third goal when they were going to three at the back in the last 5 minutes.

GC needs to work on having his back three being more comfortable bringing the ball out of defence and even pushing forward when we are on the attack. Rollin Menayese and Ryan Sweeney can both do this if coached well. Farrend Rawson is not as good at doing this but we could drop James Perch into the middle of the back three with Ollie Clarke/George Maris playing as a more advanced holding midfield player and Ollie Clarke/George Maris and Harry Charsley further forward.

I'm sure Alistair Smith and Mal Benning could also play in a back three if necessary and bring the ball out of defence and look for a pass. Alistair Smith is tall enough to make a decent defender. He just needs to toughen up a bit.

Perhaps we can also work on having one of our players delivering a long throw. Cheltenham scored their first goal on Saturday from a Ben Tozer long throw. It could be a useful weapon with the likes of Cook, Menayese, Sweeney and Rawson in the area.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:56 am

I've yet to see Smith pass the ball in any other direction but sideways
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:00 am

Richard Cranium wrote:I've yet to see Smith pass the ball in any other direction but sideways

I don't think you watch the EFL Trophy so you will have missed this one :lol:

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 am

Grimsby had four loan players in their team last night. Two from Bristol City, one from Brighton and one from Forest.

Owura Edwards (18) on loan from Bristol City who is a wide player/No 10 and who likes to run with the ball looks like he could make a player. He was very lively.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:24 am

Do we have any ‘friends’ in football....other teams seem to frequently get top youngsters on loan to help them but bar Whiteman and Walker we get dross.
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:40 am

S7AGS wrote:Do we have any ‘friends’ in football....other teams seem to frequently get top youngsters on loan to help them but bar Whiteman and Walker we get dross.

Teams also look at how their players will be treated and develop at clubs they are loaned to. I’m sure we treat them well but previously they may not have got much playing time at our place or the way we played may not have been in line with how clubs wanted them developed.

Under our current regime I’m not sure any club would consider their players were being ‘developed’ in the right way. If we don’t fit the criteria we won’t get the loanees. I wouldn’t send a player here at the moment, would you?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:42 am

Billy the fish wrote:He hasn’t a clue he was quite content with his squad a few weeks ago yeah can understand wanting to Replace Rose who he hadn’t played (injured ?? ) but was straight onto the Northampton bench . I wouldn’t trust him with anymore budget to waste after his summer recruitment ..

hardly going to come out and say he's being transferred so we cannot play him is he lol
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:47 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:He just needs to keep working on his 3-5-2 system and have a Plan B to go to 4-4-2 or 4-3-4 or 4-2-3-1

Cheltenham were chasing the game last night and they switched from a 3-5-2 system to a 4-2-3-1. It didn't work and they conceded a third goal when they were going to three at the back in the last 5 minutes.

GC needs to work on having his back three being more comfortable bringing the ball out of defence and even pushing forward when we are on the attack. Rollin Menayese and Ryan Sweeney can both do this if coached well. Farrend Rawson is not as good at doing this but we could drop James Perch into the middle of the back three with Ollie Clarke/George Maris playing as a more advanced holding midfield player and Ollie Clarke/George Maris and Harry Charsley further forward.

I'm sure Alistair Smith and Mal Benning could also play in a back three if necessary and bring the ball out of defence and look for a pass. Alistair Smith is tall enough to make a decent defender. He just needs to toughen up a bit.

Perhaps we can also work on having one of our players delivering a long throw. Cheltenham scored their first goal on Saturday from a Ben Tozer long throw. It could be a useful weapon with the likes of Cook, Menayese, Sweeney and Rawson in the area.

Tippy, you ok.

Your comments are usually pretty good but I do think this time you are expecting a great deal from players who can't do there expected job nevermind putting Smith and or Benning in a back three etc.

Opinions are just that, take care.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:59 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:I've yet to see Smith pass the ball in any other direction but sideways

Have we even made a chance like that this year?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:02 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Can't seem to string 3 forward passes together nevermind a defence splitting one
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Bowery v Tranmere is the only one I remember.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:32 pm

oldweststander wrote:Tippy, you ok.

Your comments are usually pretty good but I do think this time you are expecting a great deal from players who can't do there expected job nevermind putting Smith and or Benning in a back three etc.

Opinions are just that, take care.

I'm just setting out possible options for GC if there are no new signings, he sticks with his back three and he needs players who could possibly do a job there in the case of further poor results or injuries. DF did play Mal Benning in a back three as well as Hayden White.

I certainly think it might be worth trying James Perch in the back three like Newport County have used Matty Dolan. It would be better than playing a back six.

The problem for Alistair Smith is that he is 22 and so he needs to be making an impact in League 2 now. There are younger midfield players playing regularly in the first team at other clubs such as Stevenage, Grimsby, Carlisle, Cheltenham, Col U, Exeter, Crawley, Morecambe, Oldham, Scunthorpe etc
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:56 pm

No signings means new boss.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Kernow wrote:No signings means new boss.

You'd think that wouldn't you... can see some Ricky Ravenhill style signings in Jan from the new man ya know what I mean
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:[Bowery v Tranmere is the only one I remember.

Ollie Clarke played a great ball to Andy Cook against Exeter City early on.

From Martin's report:
"The Stags were off to a fast start, and in a great move Ollie Clarke found Cook with a great ball, and Cook shot into the side netting after 2 minutes. It really was a great reverse-pass from Clarke."

Whoscored
Assists (Key Passes Per Game)
Harry Charsley 2(2)
James Perch 1(1)
Malvind Benning 0(2)
Ollie Clarke 0(1)
Corey O'Keeffe 0(1)
Jamie Reid 0(1)
Andy Cook 0(0.8)
Stephen McLaughlin 0(0.7)
Jordan Bowery 0(0.5)
Nicky Maynard 0(0.4)
George Maris 0(0.4)
Rollin Menayese 0(0.2)
Ryan Sweeney 0(0.2)
Farrend Rawson 0(0.2)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Been told if we win Saturday, Loans might be signed to strengthen.. is that right, we can sign loan players after Friday??
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Been told if we win Saturday, Loans might be signed to strengthen.. is that right, we can sign loan players after Friday??

No. Get a new source :D
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Been told if we win Saturday, Loans might be signed to strengthen.. is that right, we can sign loan players after Friday??

no it's not right. The transfer deadline is Oct 16.

After that you can just sign players who were out of contract before Oct 16.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby spanishstag » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:47 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

No. Get a new source :D

Its hard when your used to dealing with the big boys :lol:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:28 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

I would say there will be a few of those in that category looking for a club.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:59 pm

Daniel Sturridge and Danny Welbeck are available
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:41 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Thank you Martin
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum