{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Graham Coughlan Stevenage post match & game highlights

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:32 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Kinda worrying that our experienced midfield 3 barely competed with their 19 and 20 year old midfield 2.

Age is just a number mate. Look at what the City kids did to us. If you’re good enough you’re old enough.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:50 pm

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Kinda worrying that our experienced midfield 3 barely competed with their 19 and 20 year old midfield 2.

Age is just a number mate. Look at what the City kids did to us. If you’re good enough you’re old enough.

our midfield without Ollie is weak as wazz

needs at least one maybe two quality additions this week
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:52 pm

Didn’t get to watch the game on Saturday, was away and having watched the highlights I think my hole in one on the Crazy golf course (straight through the middle of the cannon) had more drama.

We watch to be entertained to take our mind off work, the problems of daily life, these terrible times and for a sense of coming together.

Those highlights weren’t much of a rallying cry to get behind the Stags and forget your cares and woes for 90 minutes.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:58 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Didn’t get to watch the game on Saturday, was away and having watched the highlights I think my hole in one on the Crazy golf course (straight through the middle of the cannon) had more drama.

We watch to be entertained to take our mind off work, the problems of daily life, these terrible times and for a sense of coming together.

Those highlights weren’t much of a rallying cry to get behind the Stags and forget your cares and woes for 90 minutes.

Watching us at the moment only seems to add to the woes of daily life mate.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 pm

before i forget .....James Perch

did he actually play a ball forward ?

he was playing so deep i thought we had set up with the back 6, he had to be playing to orders

i could only handle a few seconds of the highlights
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:36 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:before i forget .....James Perch

he was playing so deep i thought we had set up with the back 6, he had to be playing to orders

Yes, plenty. He started most successful moves. When a team sets up with a deep block, the midfielders have to come deep to get the ball and try and get things going, otherwise they won’t get a kick.

There’s been a load of complete rubbish talked about yesterday’s performance. It was dull and we lacked a creative spark. But we drew 0-0. It was a close game, like every game has been this season in terms of the scoreline. We had 13 shots, 3 on target and 2 others hit the woodwork. Anyone would think we lost 6-0 having read the comments.

Ive seen some people on here saying it’s the worst performance they’ve seen in years. They have extremely short memories. Last season we lost 3-0 at home to Cheltenham, 8 shots total, 0 on target. We lost 4-0 to Cheltenham, 1 shot on target. We drew 0-0 at Macclesfield, 5 shots.

Under Flitcroft we drew 0-0 at Crawley, 6 shots, 1 on target. We lost 1-0 at County, 8 shots, 0 on target. We lost 1-0 at Newport, 8 shots, 1 on target.

Under Evans we lost 2-0 at Crawley, 3 shots. We lost 3-0 at Cheltenham, 1 shot on target.

So there’s a shedload of other games in which we performances worse than we did on Saturday, with various different managers.

The problem is that some have already made their minds up about GC. They might be right. Certainly, the results have not been good enough, whether you measure them from December 19, or from the start of this season, that cannot be disputed.

Personally, I’m judging him on this season, and on league games. I could care less about the other competitions, but accept that the performances were awful. In the league games I think every performance has had some positives, some more than others. I’m yet to see a game which had none, although the Exeter game was pretty close. They’ve been nowhere near as bad as some have made out, but the product on display has not been pretty to watch in the most part. Whether he GC can mould the positives into winning games is down to him. I think he deserves more time, but he needs a win in the next two games IMO or he will be shown the door, such is the modern way.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:48 pm

Dan wrote:

Absolutely. Feel Man City's would be of a higher standard but yeah I'd have almt least expected us to compete better, especially with man advantage, even Maynard had to come back and help out at one point.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:14 pm

Do you think James Perch was a GC signing or a David Sharpe signing?

I was laughing at GC saying James Perch is not going to play 45-50 games per season because that would mean we would have to win a few cup games which is never going to happen.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:58 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Yes, plenty. He started most successful moves. When a team sets up with a deep block, the midfielders have to come deep to get the ball and try and get things going, otherwise they won’t get a kick.

There’s been a load of complete rubbish talked about yesterday’s performance. It was dull and we lacked a creative spark. But we drew 0-0. It was a close game, like every game has been this season in terms of the scoreline. We had 13 shots, 3 on target and 2 others hit the woodwork. Anyone would think we lost 6-0 having read the comments.

Ive seen some people on here saying it’s the worst performance they’ve seen in years. They have extremely short memories. Last season we lost 3-0 at home to Cheltenham, 8 shots total, 0 on target. We lost 4-0 to Cheltenham, 1 shot on target. We drew 0-0 at Macclesfield, 5 shots.

Under Flitcroft we drew 0-0 at Crawley, 6 shots, 1 on target. We lost 1-0 at County, 8 shots, 0 on target. We lost 1-0 at Newport, 8 shots, 1 on target.

Under Evans we lost 2-0 at Crawley, 3 shots. We lost 3-0 at Cheltenham, 1 shot on target.

So there’s a shedload of other games in which we performances worse than we did on Saturday, with various different managers.

The problem is that some have already made their minds up about GC. They might be right. Certainly, the results have not been good enough, whether you measure them from December 19, or from the start of this season, that cannot be disputed.

Personally, I’m judging him on this season, and on league games. I could care less about the other competitions, but accept that the performances were awful. In the league games I think every performance has had some positives, some more than others. I’m yet to see a game which had none, although the Exeter game was pretty close. They’ve been nowhere near as bad as some have made out, but the product on display has not been pretty to watch in the most part. Whether he GC can mould the positives into winning games is down to him. I think he deserves more time, but he needs a win in the next two games IMO or he will be shown the door, such is the modern way.
At least we are not Morecambe who have lost four games already this season including three at home in all competitions, had five and seven goal thrashings at home and have a negative goal difference. I bet their players are glad their fans are not allowed in to witness these home performances.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:08 am

I particularly watched Perch on Saturday, he was my MOM.
I agree he didn't pass the ball forward a great deal but his job was to lie deep and be available. He was, in my view, well suited, he was always available, didn't give the ball away and always found a man when passing.

As for Maris, he came with a reputation as a play maker and he too rarely passed forward, with respect, even my wife noticed that. Charsley is busy without delivering anything and O'Keefe has now gone off the boil.

We didn't show any real attacking ideas until Benning came on and I know there are some on Stagsnet who don't rate him but he is far more effective than McCloughlin, if that's how you spell it.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:38 am

ST4GS wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

At least we are not Morecambe who have lost four games already this season including three at home in all competitions, had five and seven goal thrashings at home and have a negative goal difference. I bet their players are glad their fans are not allowed in to witness these home performances.

I don't get it. Do you mean Morecambe? They are top as it stands.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:00 am

Is Andy Burgess still head of recruitment?

He never seems to get a mention by anyone.

Is it a dig at him, or Sharpe because he was Director of Football when players were recruited?

Funny that before he was under pressure, he claimed to be happy with what we had got.

Think he's asking to be sacked by the looks of it.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:10 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I don't get it. Do you mean Morecambe? They are top as it stands.

Yes, he means Morecambe.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:19 am

oldweststander wrote:I particularly watched Perch on Saturday, he was my MOM. I agree he didn't pass the ball forward a great deal but his job was to lie deep and be available. He was, in my view, well suited, he was always available, didn't give the ball away and always found a man when passing.

James Perch could do this in the middle of a back three like Matty Dolan was doing it for Newport. We do not need to play a back six.

Saying that, I gave MOM to Farrend Rawson as I thought a defender deserved it for a clean sheet and he was my pick of the back three followed by Ryan Sweeney. Rollin gave the ball away too much. O'Keeffe struggled to get into the game again, McLaughlin got injured and Stech made a massive error which should have cost us a goal. Mal Benning did quite well when he came on and got us going forward and put a few crosses in.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:37 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
oldweststander wrote:I particularly watched Perch on Saturday, he was my MOM. I agree he didn't pass the ball forward a great deal but his job was to lie deep and be available. He was, in my view, well suited, he was always available, didn't give the ball away and always found a man when passing.

James Perch could do this in the middle of a back three like Matty Dolan was doing it for Newport. We do not need to play a back six.

Saying that, I gave MOM to Farrend Rawson as I thought a defender deserved it for a clean sheet and he was my pick of the back three followed by Ryan Sweeney. Rollin gave the ball away too much. O'Keeffe struggled to get into the game again, McLaughlin got injured and Stech made a massive error which should have cost us a goal. Mal Benning did quite well when he came on and got us going forward and put a few crosses in.

my point of discussion was he must have been playing to instructions, we sat far to deep with an almost back 6
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:29 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Is Andy Burgess still head of recruitment?

Is it a dig at him, or Sharpe because he was Director of Football when players were recruited?

Funny that before he was under pressure, he claimed to be happy with what we had got.

I reckon he knows we’ve been sounding out other managers.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Dan wrote:

If he clearly doesn't get along with David Sharpe, he won't last long. Look what he did with Malky Mackay at Wigan.
By all accounts Mackay was a horrible bloke to play for anyway though.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:09 pm

It didn't take David Sharpe long to fire Malky Mackay at Wigan Athletic. He was appointed Chairman on 3rd March 2015 and sacked Mackay on 5th April 2015. He also sacked Gary Caldwell after 14 games in late October 2016 after Caldwell got Wigan promoted to the Championship. He then appointed Warren Joyce as Wigan manager on 3rd November 2016 but sacked him four months' later on 13th March 2017. He appointed Paul Cook as manager on 31st May 2017.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Dan wrote:

Any idea who? (genuine question)

Is their win% acceptable? ;) :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It didn't take David Sharpe long to fire Malky Mackay at Wigan Athletic. He was appointed Chairman on 3rd March 2015 and sacked Mackay on 5th April 2015. He also sacked Gary Caldwell after 14 games in late October 2016 after Caldwell got Wigan promoted to the Championship. He then appointed Warren Joyce as Wigan manager on 3rd November 2016 but sacked him four months' later on 13th March 2017. He appointed Paul Cook as manager on 31st May 2017.

It’s unlikely to be Sharpes decision though Darren. He may be able to influence the Radfords but I assume they will still have the final say.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:42 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It didn't take David Sharpe long to fire Malky Mackay at Wigan Athletic. He was appointed Chairman on 3rd March 2015 and sacked Mackay on 5th April 2015. He also sacked Gary Caldwell after 14 games in late October 2016 after Caldwell got Wigan promoted to the Championship. He then appointed Warren Joyce as Wigan manager on 3rd November 2016 but sacked him four months' later on 13th March 2017. He appointed Paul Cook as manager on 31st May 2017.

It’s unlikely to be Sharpes decision though Darren. He may be able to influence the Radfords but I assume they will still have the final say.

And the rest of the board
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:59 pm

Ahh, the infamous Mansfield Town board of 'Directors'. What an irony that is.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:20 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Ahh, the infamous Mansfield Town board of 'Directors'. What an irony that is.

???
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:36 pm

oldweststander wrote:

I particularly watched Perch on Saturday, he was my MOM.
I agree he didn't pass the ball forward a great deal but his job was to lie deep and be available. He was, in my view, well suited, he was always available, didn't give the ball away and always found a man when passing.

As for Maris, he came with a reputation as a play maker and he too rarely passed forward, with respect, even my wife noticed that. Charsley is busy without delivering anything and O'Keefe has now gone off the boil.

We didn't show any real attacking ideas until Benning came on and I know there are some on Stagsnet who don't rate him but he is far more effective than McCloughlin, if that's how you spell it.

Perch would do well as a centre back instead of Meneyese.... that would allow three midfielders playing in midfield.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum