{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Pack Mentality

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Pack Mentality

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:08 am

I’ve noticed on here the pack mentality. We are half a dozen games into a season and most people have turned on the manager. The demands of today’s society for wanting it all, now is shameful. The manager needs a chance to do his job. The way the howling mob have turned on him is embarrassing.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: Pack Mentality

Postby Old amber » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:17 am

Totally agree.. the so called “pack” think we have the given right to be sitting on top of the league... No defeats,maximum
Points ,etc ... give the bloke a chance... we’ll at least for a bit longer!
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:41 am

I agree, sadly it's nothing new and not unique to us either. It's also pretty much the same ones who were baying for Flitcrofts blood, have they learned nothing? You fail if you keep sacking managers every 6-12 months, it was a bad mistake sacking the manager for finishing 4th, it would be another one to sack the current manager just 5 games in!

I will say I have not been at all convinced by Coughlan since day one, but he must be given every chance to make it work. Of course there may come a time when even the more patient amongst us have had enough.
Last edited by Rob on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:43 am

Agreed....apparently the answer is change manager every 15-20 games and always play 4-4-2.

Next they will be holding protests for a change of ownership.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:44 am

Ive been very vocal about letting a manager build something and that we won't be world beating straight away obviously... but from what ive seen there's not much to suggest GC will build a decent side or get them playing. Hes got to get points on the board while building, big ask but it needs to be done.

We were better at times yesterday, actually keeping the ball and playing it along the deck but it was backwards and sideways then often aimless. This team wants for a chance rather than creating one.

Clean sheet yesterday and no stupid errors was an improvement but this side needs a win before they become too cared to loose.

One thing I noticed was the lack of men getting forward, often when we smacked it long there was only Nicky and Reid near their box.. reminds me of the Crawley at home game a few years ago after Evans took over... Think we had the likes of Hoban, Ash Hemmings, Clements and Oscar Gobern playing but they all got forward and I think clem bagged two goals and we won 3-0. I don't think we have bad players but they are simply not getting it at the minute.

If we stick with this system, Perch and Charsley have to play side by side with Maris in front of them... were so unbalanced and there's no chance to link up.

Were missing:

- A defender that can bring the ball out... rather than letting perch sit in front of them doing their job and being a man down in midfield.

- A centre mid who can pick a good forward pass

- A right winger.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:49 am

I'm assuming that I am part of this imaginary pack?

I know you don't watch us play very often Belly so I'll forgive your lack of informed opinion. What I will say is this.

He hasn't on had half a dozen games, he has had 23. In this time he has a 17.3% win rate which I easily the worst in the club's history.

The entertainment value of watching the Stags is as low as I can ever remember. Even Billy's relegation team had regular shots on goal. The club needs fans to watch games more than ever. I would guess that less and less people will waste their time and money watching this product.

The club has invested heavily in improving its facilities, squad and bringing in an experienced CEO who has a good footballing pedigree. They are not getting enough bang for their buck.

A decent amount of the fan base have already turned against him and now he appears to be getting spikey with the club hierarchy, based upon last night's interview.

All factors considered, there is only one way that this is heading. Some of us can see that and some of us can't. It's as simple as that.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:04 am

Rob wrote:I agree, sadly it's nothing new and not unique to us either. It's also pretty much the same ones who were baying for Flitcrofts blood, have they learned nothing?

I don't think it is the same people who wanted Flitcroft out. Ally of the comments, including my own have said the same thing.

We should be patient with a manager, but not one who is clearly the wrong manager. Flitcroft fitted the criteria for right manager and Coughlan formats the criteria for wrong manager imo
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:05 am

If we were in the league above, I would agree. However we are one relegation from the pit of misery and that just can’t be risked again.

The tactics of GC are not just awful to watch, the way he plays them are totally ineffective. We did make a howler yesterday when Stech sliced the ball but he was quick to recover and got away with it. We haven’t been the outstanding team in any of our matches so far and have never deserved to win. We are currently averaging 0.6 points per game which equates to less than 30 over the full season. There are no signs of recovery and GC has said that he intends to stick with his blueprint.

We are unable to have a large squad or exceed the salary cap this year which makes a reasonable start more imperative. A new manager has to work with what we’ve got.

If these were GC’s first 8 games in charge, I could see an argument but they aren’t. The football since his appointment eleven months ago has been little better and we are going backwards. If this continues we will be relegated, no ifs no buts. I also think this years relegated teams will have bigger points totals than those of previous years so the task to stay up will be harder. We simply can’t rely on clubs going bust for us to survive.

So yes I am in the sack him now camp for the simple reason that I have seen enough to make my mind up.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:10 am

bellwhiff wrote:I’ve noticed on here the pack mentality. We are half a dozen games into a season and most people have turned on the manager. The demands of today’s society for wanting it all, now is shameful. The manager needs a chance to do his job. The way the howling mob have turned on him is embarrassing.

Get off your high horse. Everybody has an opinion, and yours is no better or holier than anybody else’s just because you want to give him more time.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:27 am

BH_Stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I’ve noticed on here the pack mentality. We are half a dozen games into a season and most people have turned on the manager. The demands of today’s society for wanting it all, now is shameful. The manager needs a chance to do his job. The way the howling mob have turned on him is embarrassing.

Get off your high horse. Everybody has an opinion, and yours is no better or holier than anybody else’s just because you want to give him more time.

Of do raspberry off you precious dickwad. Where am I denying you an opinion you clown ?
By the very definition of me opening a thread, I’m offering up the chance for you to state it.

You really are mince aren’t you ?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:30 am

The board bully is in full Belly mode!

Belly, instead of looking to pick fights and calling people names that my 12 year old wouldn't laugh at, can you offer an opinion on the pro's and cons of Coughlans tactics?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:39 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:The board bully is in full Belly mode!

Belly, instead of looking to pick fights and calling people names that my 12 year old wouldn't laugh at, can you offer an opinion on the pro's and cons of Coughlans tactics?

I’m not picking a fight. I stated my thoughts and someone came back and intimated that I don’t think anyone else has an opinion which is clearly raspberries.

I’m not going to offer any opinion other than the fact is that sacking a manager after half a dozen games into his full season in charge is clearly a knee jerk reaction and symptomatic of the I Want It Now attitude of some of the fans and of wider society.

I’m not looking for a fight, I stated my thoughts. If you have other thoughts, state them. Just don’t flipping moan about me stating mine. Counter them.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:46 am

It's not just the half dozen games this season thou is it mate? He also had a disasterous / uninspiring end to last season.
I think many are turning on him due to the sheer boredom of his un-entertaining teams and his seeming unwillingness to change his 3-5-2 system that clearly doesn't work.

Why is it shameful to have this opinion?
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:50 am

"The way howling mob have turned on him is embarrassing" is clearly written to invite a fight.

I have already countered on both this thread and others and now invite you to offer an opinion as to the pro's and con's of his tactics?

Surely there must be reasonable counter argument to the points I have raised amongst others who form part of the "howling mob". Please state them.

"He's only had half a dozen games this season" is one, albeit it is easily swatted away when he can be proven to be statistically the worst manager in the club's history to have managed at least half a league seasons worth of fixtures.

Things I would be interested to know are your thoughts on the following questions:

1. How do the players GC signed compliment his tactical "blueprint"?

2. What changes could have been made yesterday to be proactive in trying to win the game?

3. Would you recommend any changes to the line up for the next game and if so why?

4. Which part of GC's performance can be used to inspire confidence that he can take the club to where the fans and board want to go?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:07 am

bellwhiff wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Of do raspberry off you precious dickwad. Where am I denying you an opinion you clown ?
By the very definition of me opening a thread, I’m offering up the chance for you to state it.

Speaking of precious :lol: Labelling people as shameful, embarrassing and ‘howling mob’ hardly offers itself towards any other opinion does it.

You barely ever talk football, just subtle digs here and there. Your post wasn’t to support Coughlan or back up an opinion as to why he should have more time, just a vehicle for you to have a pop at anybody who wants a change.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:40 am

I’m not sure how anyone could think it’s ‘embarrassing’ for people to want a manager to be sacked who’s won 4 in 23 in all competitions - a 17% win rate which is the worst in Mansfield history.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:46 am

We can put argument and counter arguments on here as much as we want, but it’s JR that will decide what fate is in store for GC. I’d like him to at least have a dozen games this season, with his own players. Last season isn’t irrelevant but there were big issues that can’t be apportioned to GC. We all need to stand by him for a while longer, he’s one of us. We shouldn’t throw him under a bus just yet.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Old amber » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Ok last season he inherited a squad of which was part the previous managers choices...but now he has his own players
I’ll give him until Xmas .... I think ?
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:30 pm

Old amber wrote:Ok last season he inherited a squad of which was part the previous managers choices...but now he has his own players
I’ll give him until Xmas .... I think ?

He’ll be lucky to make November.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Yesterday,,I ran out of patience with the manager.

We have not seen ANY improvenent in performances over all.

The new Keeper is poor, the back three are all over the place, the midfield just love to pass backwards. The front two, whoever is selected, are trying to score from opponents mistakes, nothing is being created for them to work with.

In the after match interview GC said he wants two players before the deadline passes, a midfielder and a forward player. Is this when Agogo turn up?

There will always be a pack, because some folks care and feel let down by, so called, better players.

As for sacking the manager, no not yet, but he has to start to deliver before ten games in. Get to ten with only single figure points and you are in trouble.
Last edited by oldweststander on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:01 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Rob wrote:I agree, sadly it's nothing new and not unique to us either. It's also pretty much the same ones who were baying for Flitcrofts blood, have they learned nothing?

I don't think it is the same people who wanted Flitcroft out. Ally of the comments, including my own have said the same thing.

We should be patient with a manager, but not one who is clearly the wrong manager. Flitcroft fitted the criteria for right manager and Coughlan formats the criteria for wrong manager imo

It was a general comment and of course there are some who didn't want DF sacked who now want Coughlan sacked. 5 matches is just not enough and of course some point to last season but that was pretty much an inherited squad. This is now his squad and it will take time to develop. Furthermore, those who did call for Flitcrofts head thought the grass would be greener, we'll it wasn't. You can blame poor appointments but the truth is with every new manager comes a rebuild, can we really afford yet another rebuild just 5 games in?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:45 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Speaking of precious :lol: Labelling people as shameful, embarrassing and ‘howling mob’ hardly offers itself towards any other opinion does it.

You barely ever talk football, just subtle digs here and there. Your post wasn’t to support Coughlan or back up an opinion as to why he should have more time, just a vehicle for you to have a pop at anybody who wants a change.

It wasn’t a flipping pop. It was a comment on how people have turned. If you can’t see it then that’s your loss. I find it embarrassing. If the cap fits.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:57 pm

We all want a manager for the long term right? Its the only thing we've not done as a club... but for that to happen GC has to show he's capable, so far he hasn't.

You can discount last season because it wasn't his side, it was a real mess but its carried on with his players.

Obviously he won't get us to immediate success with one transfer window, but there needs to be clear improvement.

You can say ok against Stevenage we had plenty of possession, didn't concede any stupid goals due to mistakes etc which is an improvement on previous games.

But now we need to really look capable of winning a game, playing with a bit of confidence and an idea of what were doing.

Bradford H 1-0 W
Morecambe A 1-1 D
Cheltenham A 2-0 L
Barrow H 1-0 W
Walsall H 2-1 W

Something like this needs to happen to give him time or its only going one way.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:24 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:I’m not sure how anyone could think it’s ‘embarrassing’ for people to want a manager to be sacked who’s won 4 in 23 in all competitions - a 17% win rate which is the worst in Mansfield history.

And having had a squad overhaul.

I was one for discounting last season's results, but now we haven't improved 1 iota with his own players and preseason, you have to consider the overall picture.

It simply is awful.

Belly was the same when Dempster was in charge. It's just misguided loyalty. It comes from the right place, but it's not really a well founded opinion in terms of footballing acumen.

We all want to afford a manager time to build. But we can't be finishing in a relegation scrap, which our form would suggest we're in. What exactly is Coggers building? I want a manager to build something, but not this one!

You can't begrudge people for having desires above finishing bottom of the 4th division.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:26 pm

We are in a very disappointing position but I don’t think the club should even be considering sacking him yet, ask me again after another 5 games. It’s also a fair response that we don’t want to leave it too long like with Dempster, who should have been sacked after Cambridge battered us 4-0.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum