{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Managerial choices

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Managerial choices

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:15 pm

I know they've done a lot for the club in the last 10 years, but their recent decisions are worrying.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Re: Radford's tenure

Postby The One » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:16 pm

You do post some rubbish at times
The One
Manager
Manager

Re: Managerial choices

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:27 pm

Bottled it youth... Youve already edited your original message and thread title.

Just go to sleep and post again tomorrow.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:29 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Bottled it youth... Youve already edited your original message and thread title.

I know.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:31 pm

Managerial choices? .... Cox, Evans and Flitcroft were good choices at the time (all proven managers at some level).

Russell, Murray, Dempster & Coughlan were dubious choices at the time (no track record) - and all proved to be lacking.

It is time we appointed a manager with a proven track record.

GC has a few games to turn this around (and i really hope that he does) ... Otherwise it is up to David Sharpe to bring in a manager with a pedigree.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:47 pm

Vice President wrote:Managerial choices? .... Cox, Evans and Flitcroft were good choices at the time (all proven managers at some level).

Russell, Murray, Dempster & Coughlan were dubious choices at the time (no track record) - and all proved to be lacking.

It is time we appointed a manager with a proven track record.

GC has a few games to turn this around (and i really hope that he does) ... Otherwise it is up to David Sharpe to bring in a manager with a pedigree.

If Sharpe is at all on the ball he must already be sounding out a list of names.

As with every season I like to give a manager until the first round of the FA Cup before fully praising him or asking for him to be sacked, but I'm afraid I have to break my own rule this season.

The football is dire, now don't get me wrong I would love to see Pep/Klopp style free flowing football, but I am fully willing to accept well executed direct football aka Paul Cox in the Conference years, however, the aimless hoofball we are being served up is amongst the worst in my fifty years at The Mill.

I hate breaking my tried and tested rule but, I'm afraid it's time up for me and over to you Mr. Sharpe.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:55 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
adamstag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:I know they've done a lot for the club in the last 10 years, but their recent decisions are worrying.

Why don’t you find Keith Haslam and suck him off?

Very odd conclusion.

Not really.

I mean, really?

What else would you like?

Wow.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:02 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Bottled it youth... Youve already edited your original message and thread title.

He did quite a big edit job on original post
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:07 pm

The One wrote:

Can’t possibly understand why :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:15 pm

The Radfords had plenty to say after the Orient game, be nice to hear what they thought about today's match, which was even a shadow of that performance.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:19 pm

The One wrote:You do post some rubbish at times

Why is it rubbish?! Just because the radfords have done so much for MTFC doesn't mean they are above critisism.
Clearly the GC appointment has been a disaster and it was JR who rushed into it... Bringing in another unproven rookie (also paying compo for him) not taking his time to conduct the process properly.
I've been saying this ever since Evans left we need a proven EXPERIENCED lower league manager.

Now he's stuck with a manager who has signed 12 players and who is on what I presume a decent salary/contract... And tonight he's come out saying he wants 3/4 more players!.

Over to you JR....
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:23 pm

The One wrote:

Yes I did. It was a bit kneejerk so had to amend it for my own mental health.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:25 pm

are you expecting every manager to win a league title or something?

Cox.. got us out the conference
Murray... switched to football and had a decent season with no money, rightly replaced with...
Evans... Turned us into a serious league two club
Flitcroft... Best we've had for ages
Dempster... right choice wrong time, rightly sacked
GC... Not going well in difficult times.. but you never really know.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:41 pm

Too be fair to JR and Carolyn, we were all highly delighted when JD was sacked and there was talk of replacing him with a League 1 manager whose team was 4th in League 1 and who had just beaten Ipswich Town away at Portman Road. I was. Things like that don't normally happen at Mansfield Town.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Old amber » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:42 pm

There’s an old saying learn by your mistakes!! The biggest mistake the club has made was sacking Flitcroft... ok he failed
In the play offs... but I’m sure given a bit more time he would taken us further... and he would have learned by his mistakes... I’ll probably get slated for this... if so just look where we are now.
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:49 pm

Old amber wrote:There’s an old saying learn by your mistakes!! The biggest mistake the club has made was sacking Flitcroft... ok he failed
In the play offs... but I’m sure given a bit more time he would taken us further... and he would have learned by his mistakes... I’ll probably get slated for this... if so just look where we are now.

Yes you will get slated for it.

What the Flitcroft brigade forget is that his football was poor from January/February with no prospect of an improvement. It’s ok looking at three months in isolation and waxing lyrical about it but that wasn’t the reality as the purple patch was sandwiched between mediocrity.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Old amber » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Even his mediocrity was better than what we’ve had since .... are you one of the Paul Cox brigade..
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sweden Stag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:58 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Old amber wrote:There’s an old saying learn by your mistakes!! The biggest mistake the club has made was sacking Flitcroft... ok he failed

Yes you will get slated for it.

What the Flitcroft brigade forget is that his football was poor from January/February with no prospect of an improvement. It’s ok looking at three months in isolation and waxing lyrical about it but that wasn’t the reality as the purple patch was sandwiched between mediocrity.

Poor DF transfer window then. He brought in players which upset our rhythm.

Injuries to Olejnik, White and Rose.

The inept refereeing in the first leg of the playoffs at Newport which was the far worst piece of refereeing in any Stags game I have been able to watch over the years.

One thing: DF bottled it TWICE. No other Stags boss has done it.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:01 pm

Flitcrofts last 25 games in charge, which equates to all games after 1/1/19 - W10 D6 L9 (40% win percentage).

Completely mediocre compared to Coughlans 17.3% win percentage from his last 25 games or Dempsters 21.7% win percentage.

Don't let the truth get in the way of the anti Flitcroft nonsense though.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:06 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Flitcrofts last 25 games in charge, which equates to all games after 1/1/19 - W10 D6 L9 (40% win percentage).

Completely mediocre compared to Coughlans 17.3% win percentage from his last 25 games or Dempsters 21.7% win percentage.

It might be a 40% win ratio, but it’s mid table form over the course of a season. Better than Coughlan and Dempster of course.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:10 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Flitcrofts last 25 games in charge, which equates to all games after 1/1/19 - W10 D6 L9 (40% win percentage).

Now take out his purple patch Oct to January and what was it then? The truth is he had a three month spell that skewed his stats. And that patch ended 4 months before he was sacked.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:15 pm

So you want me to exclude August, September, October, November, December and January (6months) but include February, March and April (3months) to back up your point?

Why would we dismiss 2/3 of the season, didn't they happen?

Do you work for the Tory government propoganda team?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:16 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:So you want me to exclude August, September, October, November, December and January (6months) but include February, March and April (3months) to back up your point?

Why would we dismiss 2/3 of the season, didn't they happen?

Do you work for the Tory government propoganda team?

You’ve got a point KKT. It just shows that you only need to have a really good three month spell, and be pretty average the rest of the time, to get within one point of promotion.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:20 pm

If only every football league manager in the last quarter of a century could have been so ordinary we might have had more playoff appearances and promotions! (Curle and Dearden excluded of course).

It's funny because Curle is another who regularly draws criticism form a few on here.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:48 pm

Keith Hill or Paul Cook Or if similar pedigree
Agree experienced manager required with name in the game
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Next