{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Paul Cox??

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Paul Cox??

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:05 am

Paul Cook could cut it
Agree if CG shambles goes on give him a call
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:00 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Dan wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I agree Gazza.

Cox did well in his first season in the league and for a brief spell there was talks of us possibly sneaking a playoff spot.

Then the budget was cut to about 800k as I recall?

Then Murray came in and struggled just as much as Cox did under those circumstances until the following summer when he embarked on probably the best transfer window I can ever remember us having by signing Pearce, Bennett, Rose, Green and Benning!

Since Evans arrived we have spent silly money and gotten a poor return, except for when Flitcroft came within a whisker of promotion by losing out to teams who had equal or greater spending as we did (one even went out of existence as a result).

Coughlin hasn't done anything to suggest he is a better manager than Cox and he definitely has had better financial backing in L2.

Hopefully he delivers in the future but I personally don't think he will.

There was no other team in League Two who were spending £5,000 a week on a player like we did, not even Bury. Bury were spending money they hadn’t got, we were spending money like it was going out of fashion. Or rather Flitcroft was. Then he bottled it. Again. There’s a reason he’s still unemployed, talk to some of the players who played under him & you’ll see why. Good riddance.

Do you know that for a fact Dan, or are you just stating it to fit your narrative ?
What about County ?
As far as I understand it, the reason we didn't take up the option on Hemmings was because he was on £8k per week at Oxford and wanted more than we were prepared to pay him on a permanent deal.
We signed Walker on the rumoured £5k per week, and County signed Hemmings on a shade over £6k per week if rumours are to be believed.
I would say Flitcroft got the better deal out of those two.

Dan knows nowt, just says things to fit his narrative then passes it off as fact because he sits a few yards from a pitch with a camera.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:14 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Dan wrote:

Cox did well in his first season in the league and for a brief spell there was talks of us possibly sneaking a playoff spot.

Then Murray came in and struggled just as much as Cox did under those circumstances until the following summer when he embarked on probably the best transfer window I can ever remember us having by signing Pearce, Bennett, Rose, Green and Benning!

Since Evans arrived we have spent silly money and gotten a poor return, except for when Flitcroft came within a whisker of promotion by losing out to teams who had equal or greater spending as we did (one even went out of existence as a result).

Coughlin hasn't done anything to suggest he is a better manager than Cox and he definitely has had better financial backing in L2.

There was no other team in League Two who were spending £5,000 a week on a player like we did, not even Bury. Bury were spending money they hadn’t got, we were spending money like it was going out of fashion. Or rather Flitcroft was. Then he bottled it. Again. There’s a reason he’s still unemployed, talk to some of the players who played under him & you’ll see why. Good riddance.

Do you know that for a fact Dan, or are you just stating it to fit your narrative ?
What about County ?
As far as I understand it, the reason we didn't take up the option on Hemmings was because he was on £8k per week at Oxford and wanted more than we were prepared to pay him on a permanent deal.
We signed Walker on the rumoured £5k per week, and County signed Hemmings on a shade over £6k per week if rumours are to be believed.

Dan knows nowt, just says things to fit his narrative then passes it off as fact because he sits a few yards from a pitch with a camera.

:lol: :lol: Says Walter Mitty :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:18 am

Paul Cook would laugh his tits off if we called... Wouldn't touch us with a bargepole (and who can blame him?!
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:03 am

Flitcroft had lost it and would not have got us promoted the following year. We were dire from late January onwards and never looked like a promotion side since then (with the exception of Exeter away). If anything we would have done a county and got relegated.

Yes we have been rubbish since but bringing failure back for another go isn’t the answer.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:05 am

Total Wages for Club (including non playing staff)
2011-2012: £1,344,256 (Paul Cox finished 3rd in National League)
2012-2013: £2,328,070 (Paul Cox won National League)
2013-2014: £2,071,080 (Paul Cox finished 11th in League 2)
2014-2015: £1,486,334 (Paul Cox and Adam Murray finished 21st in League 2)
2015-2016: £1,464,626 (Adam Murray finished 12th in League 2)
2016-2017: £1,884,466 (Adam Murray/Steve Evans finished 12th in League 2)
2017-2018: £3,200,441 (Estimated) (£1,600,221 for 6 months from 1st July to 31st December 2017). (Steve Evans/David Flitcroft finished 8th)

Note: These wages will include the employer’s national insurance contributions of around 13.8%

The spending on wages definitely increased when Steve Evans arrived. I always thought Adam Murray did a decent job overall as manager based on his playing budget but lost the fans due to the disappointing home performances.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:09 am

Manager League Win Ratios
Freddie Steele 50.9%
Paul Cox 48.4%
Harry Martin 48.0%
Dave Smith 46.8%
Steve Evans 45.3%
Peter Morris 45.2%
Tommy Cummings 43.4%
Raich Carter 43.2%
Charlie Mitten 43.1%
Jack Hickling 42.6%
David Holdsworth 41.7%
Keith Curle 40.5%
George Jobey 40.0%
Harry Parkes 39.7%
Harry Wightman 38.9%
David Flitcroft 37.9%
Steve Parkin 37.8%
Stan Mercer 36.2%
Stuart Watkiss 35.7%
Tommy Eggleston 35.5%
Danny Williams 34.9%
Billy Dearden 34.2%
Duncan Russell 33.3%
Ian Greaves 33.2%
George Foster 32.8%
Mick Jones 32.6%
Andy King 32.2%
Stuart Boam 31.9%
Adam Murray 31.9%
Billy McEwan 31.8%
Roy Goodall 31.8%
Jack Poole 31.7%
Carlton Palmer 31.0%
Paul Holland 30.8%
Peter Shirtliff 30.5%
Jock Basford 27.5%
Sam Weaver 27.4%
Billy Bingham 26.7%
Charles Bell 25.0%
John Dempster 23.8%
Graham Coughlan 21%
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:03 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Manager League Win Ratios
Freddie Steele 50.9%
Paul Cox 48.4%
Harry Martin 48.0%
Dave Smith 46.8%
Steve Evans 45.3%
Peter Morris 45.2%
Tommy Cummings 43.4%
Raich Carter 43.2%
Charlie Mitten 43.1%
Jack Hickling 42.6%
David Holdsworth 41.7%
Keith Curle 40.5%
George Jobey 40.0%
Harry Parkes 39.7%
Harry Wightman 38.9%
David Flitcroft 37.9%
Steve Parkin 37.8%
Stan Mercer 36.2%
Stuart Watkiss 35.7%
Tommy Eggleston 35.5%
Danny Williams 34.9%
Billy Dearden 34.2%
Duncan Russell 33.3%
Ian Greaves 33.2%
George Foster 32.8%
Mick Jones 32.6%
Andy King 32.2%
Stuart Boam 31.9%
Adam Murray 31.9%
Billy McEwan 31.8%
Roy Goodall 31.8%
Jack Poole 31.7%
Carlton Palmer 31.0%
Paul Holland 30.8%
Peter Shirtliff 30.5%
Jock Basford 27.5%
Sam Weaver 27.4%
Billy Bingham 26.7%
Charles Bell 25.0%
John Dempster 23.8%
Graham Coughlan 21%

And some on here refer to Cox as 'clueless' :lol:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:48 pm

Interesting that JR thinks he sacked Holdsworth too soon also. Not a bad win percentage either. There’s definitely been a few knee jerk decisions. The Cox situation just went stale I suppose. Having sacked Flitcroft, the hiring decision was terrible and its set us back a few seasons. I really hope GC turns this round but I just can’t see it atm. I’d still stick with him until the end of the season. You never know.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:20 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Manager League Win Ratios
Freddie Steele 50.9%
Paul Cox 48.4%
Harry Martin 48.0%
Dave Smith 46.8%
Steve Evans 45.3%
Peter Morris 45.2%
Tommy Cummings 43.4%
Raich Carter 43.2%
Charlie Mitten 43.1%
Jack Hickling 42.6%
David Holdsworth 41.7%
Keith Curle 40.5%
George Jobey 40.0%
Harry Parkes 39.7%
Harry Wightman 38.9%
David Flitcroft 37.9%
Steve Parkin 37.8%
Stan Mercer 36.2%
Stuart Watkiss 35.7%
Tommy Eggleston 35.5%
Danny Williams 34.9%
Billy Dearden 34.2%
Duncan Russell 33.3%
Ian Greaves 33.2%
George Foster 32.8%
Mick Jones 32.6%
Andy King 32.2%
Stuart Boam 31.9%
Adam Murray 31.9%
Billy McEwan 31.8%
Roy Goodall 31.8%
Jack Poole 31.7%
Carlton Palmer 31.0%
Paul Holland 30.8%
Peter Shirtliff 30.5%
Jock Basford 27.5%
Sam Weaver 27.4%
Billy Bingham 26.7%
Charles Bell 25.0%
John Dempster 23.8%
Graham Coughlan 21%

And some on here refer to Cox as 'clueless' :lol:

Cox's record in League 2 was poor, which I guess is where clueless came from. We were a big club in the non-league and were expected to have a good record. A fairer comparison would be to weight performance based on the league we were in, which would probably put Peter Morris well clear. As it is, these stats are pretty meaningless.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:27 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Flitcroft had lost it and would not have got us promoted the following year. We were dire from late January onwards and never looked like a promotion side since then (with the exception of Exeter away). If anything we would have done a county and got relegated.

Yes we have been rubbish since but bringing failure back for another go isn’t the answer.

I don't agree with bringing him back but you cannot possibly know how we'd have done last season had we kept him. What we do know is how we actually did, we also know we finished in our highest league position in 15 years in 18/19. To say DF would have relegated us is laughable! Now Adam Murray, who you want back, has the same league record as Stuart Boam :lol: :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:53 pm

Rob wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Flitcroft had lost it and would not have got us promoted the following year. We were dire from late January onwards and never looked like a promotion side since then (with the exception of Exeter away). If anything we would have done a county and got relegated.

I don't agree with bringing him back but you cannot possibly know how we'd have done last season had we kept him. What we do know is how we actually did, we also know we finished in our highest league position in 15 years in 18/19. To say DF would have relegated us is laughable! Now Adam Murray, who you want back, has the same league record as Stuart Boam :lol: :lol:

With half the resources. If Murray was that bad, why did we rely on his players for the last three years and how come one of them has just brought the biggest transfer fee for nearly two decades?

Oh and he’s on his second management spell in the Championship (ok as caretaker but who knows) and what has Mr Flitcroft managed since he left, oh yes an assistants job and the sack at a relegated team. Maybe I should put about ten emojis laughing at you.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:44 pm

Barnsley fans seem to like Muzza from what I can gather from the one or two I know.

Not saying I want him back, but if you get to speak to him, he's learned a lot since, and will tell you he made mistakes here by being too negative.

Good managers will learn from their mistakes, and I think Muzza is lucky that his bad spells here and at Boston haven't ruined his reputation. He's also young enough to keep progressing. Hope he goes on to do well.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:43 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Rob wrote:

With half the resources. If Murray was that bad, why did we rely on his players for the last three years and how come one of them has just brought the biggest transfer fee for nearly two decades?

Oh and he’s on his second management spell in the Championship (ok as caretaker but who knows) and what has Mr Flitcroft managed since he left, oh yes an assistants job and the sack at a relegated team. Maybe I should put about ten emojis laughing at you.

Murray was a great footballer for us and was rightly given time as manager, more than most given the dross he served up. His record here was awful, the football was dire, after he was rightly sacked he was then sacked at Boston. Yes he's stood in for departed Barnsley manages a couple of times and I genuinely wish him well, maybe Barnsley will give him a go for real. I don't want either of them back and want GC to succeed, you have even said yourself we don't want to re-hire failures, make your mind up.
Last edited by Rob on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:58 pm

And who did Flitcroft bring to the club with the fortune he spent?

Flitcroft nearly ruined Hamilton by playing him all over the park and it shows what a good player he is that he has succeeded despite that. The tactical genius played a winger at full back for the most important game of the season when others were available.

You write the script to suit and are totally blinkered. Flitcroft blew it twice in spectacular fashion.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:51 pm

Dan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Dan wrote:

What about County ?

:lol: :lol: Says Walter Mitty :lol:

Avoided my question though Dan.
Do you have any evidence to support your statement that nobody else was paying a L2 player £5k a week ?
What about the figures for County ? Are they incorrect ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:06 pm

I doubt that, We know why it went wrong around Jan time....

Bobby injured, White Injured, Having to replace him with Gethin Jones who was hopeless... Grant was supposed to be an upgrade on Elsnik and didn't look arsed most of the time. We couldn't really have a big push in Jan that was required because we still had players like Anderson on a big wage sat in the stands and we still managed to come so so so close.

Over the summer Dempster didn't address any issues because he either didn't know about them or thought we were fine... Flitcroft would have sorted these issues out and gone again. It was certainly worth giving him some time to sort it. Just how I see it of course.

But I also wouldn't bring him back, were so far off that side he would have a near impossible task trying to play that way with this lot.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:29 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

I doubt that, We know why it went wrong around Jan time....

Bobby injured, White Injured, Having to replace him with Gethin Jones who was hopeless... Grant was supposed to be an upgrade on Elsnik and didn't look arsed most of the time. We couldn't really have a big push in Jan that was required because we still had players like Anderson on a big wage sat in the stands and we still managed to come so so so close.

Over the summer Dempster didn't address any issues because he either didn't know about them or thought we were fine... Flitcroft would have sorted these issues out and gone again. It was certainly worth giving him some time to sort it. Just how I see it of course.

But I also wouldn't bring him back, were so far off that side he would have a near impossible task trying to play that way with this lot.

Spot on regarding the injuries to Bobby and White. Spot on regarding Jones and Grant. Add Nicky Ajose as well. He was instrumental in blowing it due to missing a penalty at Port Vale in the first half. In that game, Walker was suspended due to a red card against Forest Green. DF blew the January transfer window big time. Not only DF blew it, so did also the EFL and those who appointed officials at the end of that particular season. The EFL did blow it by not looking more closely into the Bury situation before the end of that season. Had they done so, had the EFL docked Bury sufficient number of points for them blowing the playoffs (and the Shakers might still have been an EFL club). Those who appointed officials blew it firstly by appointing Darren Drysdale for the then final home fixture against Stevenage (DD has been VERY inconsistent over the years, enough printed) and secondly, appointing a ref whose performance was by a million Swedish miles the worst even seen in a Stags game (was able to watch that particular Newport game). Yet another thing, had the EFL used the away goals ruling in playoffs, the Stags had played the final against Tranmere (and maybe won it). Fact is, that it was the third time in playoff history the Stags missed out on playoff finals due to the non-usage of the away goals ruling (other ones were 1995 against Chesterfield and 2012 against York), but on the otherh hand, the Stags benefitted in 2004 against Northampton. In any other country than the UK, the Stags had reached three playoff finals but missed out on one with the away goals ruling. So-called rant over.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:03 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Dan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

What about County ?

Avoided my question though Dan.
Do you have any evidence to support your statement that nobody else was paying a L2 player £5k a week ?

Yes thanks.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:38 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:And who did Flitcroft bring to the club with the fortune he spent?

Flitcroft nearly ruined Hamilton by playing him all over the park and it shows what a good player he is that he has succeeded despite that. The tactical genius played a winger at full back for the most important game of the season when others were available.

You write the script to suit and are totally blinkered. Flitcroft blew it twice in spectacular fashion.

Ruined Hamilton? By getting him into the team of the season, not bad for a player who was "nearly" ruined. :lol:

So you'd prefer Gethin Jones at RWB?

We wouldn't have needed Nicky Ajose had the board not forced DF to sell one of Angol or Rose (quick check Angol has a career avererage of 1 goal every 3 games according to Wikipedia)

3 players on a high wage doing nothing in Mirfin, Diamond and Anderson. He tried to move them on but nobody wanted them. Imagine those 3 wages off the bill, he could have got a backup RWB and a backup CB (remember we only started the season with 3, Turner arrived in January and needed time to settle into the side) then we wouldn't have needed Hamilton at RWB and likely wouldn't have needed MacDonald at RWB either.

Elsnik was recalled because Derby wanted us to sign him for a fee (his contract was set to end that season) there was an article about it.

Let's not forget about the facial injury suffered by Rose in the Newport game. For the following games we needed a player like Rose who is good in the air and wins the odd free kick to take the pressure off the defence.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:01 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:And who did Flitcroft bring to the club with the fortune he spent?

Ruined Hamilton? By getting him into the team of the season, not bad for a player who was "nearly" ruined. :lol:

So you'd prefer Gethin Jones at RWB?

We wouldn't have needed Nicky Ajose had the board not forced DF to sell one of Angol or Rose (quick check Angol has a career avererage of 1 goal every 3 games according to Wikipedia)

3 players on a high wage doing nothing in Mirfin, Diamond and Anderson. He tried to move them on but nobody wanted them. Imagine those 3 wages off the bill, he could have got a backup RWB and a backup CB (remember we only started the season with 3, Turner arrived in January and needed time to settle into the side) then we wouldn't have needed Hamilton at RWB and likely wouldn't have needed MacDonald at RWB either.

Elsnik was recalled because Derby wanted us to sign him for a fee (his contract was set to end that season) there was an article about it.

Let's not forget about the facial injury suffered by Rose in the Newport game. For the following games we needed a player like Rose who is good in the air and wins the odd free kick to take the pressure off the defence.

Excellent post
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:03 am

The long and short of Flitcroft was that Swindon found him out with their gameplan over that Christmas and got a 0-0, completely counteracted us and nullified us.

Other clubs got wind and followed suit, Flitcroft had half a season to formulate a plan B and didn't resulting in a massive dip in form that he couldn't resolve.

It was for that reason that I thought we shouldn't have kept him on.

Will everybody agree with that? I dare say not
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:02 am

adamstag wrote:The long and short of Flitcroft was that Swindon found him out with their gameplan over that Christmas and got a 0-0, completely counteracted us and nullified us.

Other clubs got wind and followed suit, Flitcroft had half a season to formulate a plan B and didn't resulting in a massive dip in form that he couldn't resolve.

It was for that reason that I thought we shouldn't have kept him on.

Will everybody agree with that? I dare say not

I can see your reasoning, and usually I would agree. However I felt at the time that he had too many factors out of his control and the football was actually pretty good for a good portion of the season. I was willing to give him the season to go one better if he didn't then bye bye Flitcroft and give someone else a shot. Let's be honest here. Had Evans stayed and got us play offs and didn't get promoted would we have wanted him sacked? Personally I wouldn't he'd have a 12th place finish to a play off FINISH (just for Dan who can't understand that usually a season doesn't finish in February) and is progress towards the main goal. Hence why Flitcroft got us 8th and then 4th which is progress and why I think it was wrong to sack him. However no progress the following season then it's bye bye.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:51 am

We can argue till the cows come home about what DF would’ve done the next season but one thing is for sure , the style of football played under him was some of the most entertaining football played for a very long time proven by the fact 4 of the team were in the team of the season. Going to watch the stags home and away was exciting and after 50 years of going that hasn’t happened often. The football since has been awful .
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Dan wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:Avoided my question though Dan.

Yes thanks.

So the County fans who said they were paying Hemmings over £6k per week were wrong then ?
How much were they paying him ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum