{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Matt Preston signs for Barnet

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Matt Preston signs for Barnet

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:48 am

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2020-2021

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:46 am

So apart from KP who’s left without a club who we let go last season ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:58 am

yorkshire stag wrote:So apart from KP who’s left without a club who we let go last season ?

Just Craig Davies as far as I’m aware.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:39 pm

Thought preston could of stopped in the league tbh.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:38 pm

lifestags wrote:Thought preston could of stopped in the league tbh.

On the form from two years ago, without a doubt. Last years form, he’s done well to land Barnet.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:12 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

On the form from two years ago, without a doubt. Last years form, he’s done well to land Barnet.

too true sandy, clogger was utter tommy last season. not at all surprised he's now NL.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Re: Matt Preston signs for Barnet

Postby HitchcocksShins » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:37 pm

Didn't he wear exact same top for when he was announced for us?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:20 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Didn't he wear exact same top for when he was announced for us?

One top, he's only got one top!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:17 pm

Unlucky Barnet. Liability player.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Good luck Matt. Played superbly under DF, struggled like most last season under clueless management. Barnet have a good player, he will do well there.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:12 pm

Good luck Matt,lets hope you send a Direite into near earth orbit, like you did that Cambridge Utd player.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:32 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

On the form under DF (like Pearce) far better than any centre halves we have now. Barnet have got themselves a good signing.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:54 am

clogger's at his proper level now, I reckon he's waited for an offer from a fl club and got none.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:12 am

I can’t recall a player who has two polar opposite seasons in my time watching Stags. Very good under DF to a complete liability under JD and GC.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:12 am

Forget him being a complete failure as he was here but why do we think certain players played better under Flitcroft than other managers?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:31 am

Dan wrote:Forget him being a complete failure as he was here but why do we think certain players played better under Flitcroft than other managers?
Please enlighten us Dan.
Could it be they fitted into the system he played ? Was it because they liked him as a manager ? Or maybe he had the ability to get the best out of players?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 am

Dan wrote:Forget him being a complete failure as he was here but why do we think certain players played better under Flitcroft than other managers?

Whatever your thoughts on him, it can’t be denied that he and Futcher organised the best defence in League a Two. He also got the best out of Jacob Mellis.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:29 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Whatever your thoughts on him, it can’t be denied that he and Futcher organised the best defence in League a Two. He also got the best out of Jacob Mellis.

And CJ
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:46 am

It's a good question. I think fitness is the answer. I can't be denied that Flitcroft's side was the fittest we've ever had. Last season was probably the least fittest we've ever had. That lead to stupid mistakes and late lunging tackles and being a second slower than the other side. How many times did that ring true last season.

The thing with fitness is people mention the side of the 70s having pints and cigarettes and still being able to win. Well the opposition was doing the same too.

The increased fitness meant that we were a second faster than the opposition and enabled the centre backs to calmly take a touch and bring the ball out. Lots of times Pearce would control the ball and get past the 2 attackers and advance with the ball at his feet. Last season we just "got a touch to it" and decided our job was done.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:49 am

He wasn't a complete failure, he was part of our incredible defence in his first season under DF.

The hours Df put in with the team on the training ground really showed at times, but then again league two players showing why they are league two also showed a lot.
That team were going the extra mile most weeks but caved in and thought they'd won it towards the end.

Heard it from a couple people at the club and people from swindon that the training under Df was a level above and certain things didn't stop until they had perfected something.

I know were all still gutted at that season but the management team and that squad were the best we've seen for a long time and now were miles off, they even got Mellis playing the best he's ever played. All if buts and maybe's now so hopefully we can get back to that standard one day.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:16 am

Sedgwick wrote:

He wasn't a complete failure, he was part of our incredible defence in his first season under DF.

The hours Df put in with the team on the training ground really showed at times, but then again league two players showing why they are league two also showed a lot.
That team were going the extra mile most weeks but caved in and thought they'd won it towards the end.

Heard it from a couple people at the club and people from swindon that the training under Df was a level above and certain things didn't stop until they had perfected something.

I know were all still gutted at that season but the management team and that squad were the best we've seen for a long time and now were miles off, they even got Mellis playing the best he's ever played. All if buts and maybe's now so hopefully we can get back to that standard one day.

Spot on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:21 am

DF definitely got the best out of quite a lot of players, CJ was a big one, it baffles me how he still managed to put in all that work, and managed to end the season with absolutely raspberry all to show for it. A lot of fans clearly still have a hangover from that gigantic self inflicted failure, you’ve gotta move on!

I think Preston can do a job at L2, and he was part of the best defence in the league not that long ago. But I do think he was the weakest link in it, and last season he was a bigger liability than most. Best of luck to him.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:50 am

Sedgwick wrote:

I think Dan was referring to DF being a failure, rather than Preston.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

:D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:29 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Dan really doesn't like David Flitcroft, & doesn't turn down any opportunity to let us know.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum