{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

EFL to stage pilots with up to 1000 fans this weekend

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: EFL to stage pilots with up to 1000 fans this weekend

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:18 pm

They’re only increasing more because they are doing more tests. There could be millions of people walking around with COVID who don’t even know it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:21 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Just so I understand.

I can't meet more than 5 people in a public space, but I can go to a public place with 999 other people if I'm watching football.

Seems eminently sensible. :/

Don’t even try it. Even those putting in the rules don’t understand what they’re doing or why they’re doing it so we’ve got no chance!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:Let people in but tell them they must always wear a mask until they get back to their vehicles. I’m sure even those who are against wearing one (or who think they’re better than anyone else) would wear one if they got to see their club play ‘live’.

With proposed capacity restrictions of 25% or whatever I don’t think there’ll be a need to wear a mask when sat in your seat watching the game. Nobody on the row in front or behind and a few seats spare either side, as well as it being outside mitigates risk a lot in my opinion. I think wearing one in the queue, in the concourse areas/toilets, and making your way to your seat would be sufficient, but I suppose everybody has their own viewpoint on it!

Just as a comparison to this, my other hobby away from football is watching stock car racing. As this is classed as an amateur sport rather than the elite categorisation of professional football, race meetings have been taking place again since early August at some venues. These venues are obviously outdoors, mainly with uncovered terracing, some with small areas of covered terracing, and some with areas of seating both covered and uncovered. Each of the venues is running to restricted capacities of around 10-20% of full capacity as agreed with local EHOs to allow for social distancing. The majority of the tracks have been instructed to make mask wearing compulsory in all areas, even on open terracing, and also in uncovered seating despite them using the same distancing rules as our season tickets have been sold at (every 3rd seat on every 2nd row).
I am not saying this will be the case when football grounds re-open, but as this has been imposed by EHOs at other sports venues throughout the country I would think it is highly likely that when the gates are finally opened mask wearing is likely to be compulsory to begin with.
So last season your two sporting passions were both "car crashes". One at the stock car stadium and the other at the one call stadium. I :D
On a seious note mask wearing would seem sensible, however I can't see fans in stadium until t, t and trace is running properly.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:27 pm

Luton were chosen to let fans in on Saturday but the club have refused to let fans in.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Can’t see any club going for the 1,000 limit as they are not making money from it, just costing money with stewarding costs etc.

Only folk allowed in will be season ticket holders, and the club have their money already.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby The One » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Dan wrote:Luton were chosen to let fans in on Saturday but the club have refused to let fans in.

Dog Kennel Road is a dump thats why, the surrounding area same. Also high case numbers there.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Dan wrote:They’re only increasing more because they are doing more tests. There could be millions of people walking around with COVID who don’t even know it.

Not true, the same number of tests are available but more people want them.

You cannot identify an infected person if they are not tested.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:32 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Dan wrote:They’re only increasing more because they are doing more tests. There could be millions of people walking around with COVID who don’t even know it.

If you have Covid-19 you won't be walking around. Not further than the garden gate, at any rate. You might be carrying the virus SARS-CoV-2, and be mildly infectious, and walk about town. But not Covid. I'm not being pedantic; it's important to know the difference between the virus that can cause the disease and the disease itself.
Having tried it myself I'm surprised that so many people seem to have symptoms and yet are able to stand in a queue after driving some miles. I was only interested in staying at home, resting and breathing.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Morecambe aren’t doing it now either.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:48 pm

The One wrote:
Dan wrote:Luton were chosen to let fans in on Saturday but the club have refused to let fans in.

Dog Kennel Road is a dump thats why, the surrounding area same. Also high case numbers there.

And I’d like to understand why they chose Luton ? When the place was locked down not so long ago . At least the club have sense
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:23 pm

oldweststander wrote:

Fact is you can't possibly have an infinite number of tests. The problem is the lack of planning on how to effectively use the number of tests available. It appears a mass scramble. Fail to plan, plan to fail.
Going back to the subject of the thread, no point in EFL experimenting with numbers, as things stand. Schools and work places need to be the priority.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:33 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:Let people in but tell them they must always wear a mask until they get back to their vehicles. I’m sure even those who are against wearing one (or who think they’re better than anyone else) would wear one if they got to see their club play ‘live’.

With proposed capacity restrictions of 25% or whatever I don’t think there’ll be a need to wear a mask when sat in your seat watching the game. Nobody on the row in front or behind and a few seats spare either side, as well as it being outside mitigates risk a lot in my opinion. I think wearing one in the queue, in the concourse areas/toilets, and making your way to your seat would be sufficient, but I suppose everybody has their own viewpoint on it!

Just as an FYI, Carlisle have gone with the above policy for their pilot event this weekend. Masks required upon entry and making way to seats but fine to remove when in your spot. Not looked in to what other clubs have adopted but could be the way forward.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Just as an FYI, Carlisle have gone with the above policy for their pilot event this weekend. Masks required upon entry and making way to seats but fine to remove when in your spot. Not looked in to what other clubs have adopted but could be the way forward.

I agree that it's the way forward. Enforcing mask wearing whilst social distancing in seats is likely to meet resistance and could be counter-productive (as well as useless anyway). But certainly people will feel safer with masks if obliged to wait in a queue, or when passing close by other people. As autumn takes hold people will naturally get more coughs from other viruses or from cold air, and it's going to be a bit awkward if you're coughing away in a queue to get into the ground and everyone's looking worried.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Dan, in all fairness the good people of Luton had probably arranged to spend the weekend chucking old mattresses and furniture into their gardens. So they may have struggled to get 1000 through the gate.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Fans at PSG tonight.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Dan wrote:Fans at PSG tonight.

Some big crowds in Germany over the weekend as well. Good to see!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:29 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

Definitely. Let’s hope it goes well at the 8 selected ones on Saturday. The National League reckon they’re having 1,000 fans in when their season starts on October 3rd. Let’s wait and see.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:48 pm

Glovers and/or a hand sanitiser are as important as masks. You forget what you unintentionally touch then have a drink from a bottle or a sweet.

Looks like AFC Mansfield let fans in without masks while watching the game. Wonder if there been any track and trace reports
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:06 am

From a footballing point of view, i think its a tad unfair lol.

Had we had a crowd on Saturday, it could have been the difference of 3 points for us. We then we go to our next game potentially playing in front of a home crowd early.

Disadvantages etc.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:20 am

I see Carlisle are charging everyone for a ticket this Saturday even season ticket holders.

It turns out Carlisle sold only a 22 match season ticket starting in October.

They seemed to have known about this possibility for months.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 am

part time pete wrote:I see Carlisle are charging everyone for a ticket this Saturday even season ticket holders.

It turns out Carlisle sold only a 22 match season ticket starting in October.

They seemed to have known about this possibility for months.

the logistics of selling 1000 tickets to 1800 season ticket holders are certainly tricky

https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/2 ... kend-game/

https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/2 ... nce-again/
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 am

sunray wrote:Glovers and/or a hand sanitiser are as important as masks. You forget what you unintentionally touch then have a drink from a bottle or a sweet.

Looks like AFC Mansfield let fans in without masks while watching the game. Wonder if there been any track and trace reports

I'm not sure that gloves make any difference to be honest, unless you are changing them every 5 minutes.
Gloves can become contaminated just like your hands so they can carry the virus in the same way that your hands would, and transfer through touching your face or eating.
Regular hand washing or use of hand sanitisers is far better protection than wearing gloves.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
sunray wrote:Glovers and/or a hand sanitiser are as important as masks. You forget what you unintentionally touch then have a drink from a bottle or a sweet.

I'm not sure that gloves make any difference to be honest, unless you are changing them every 5 minutes.
Gloves can become contaminated just like your hands so they can carry the virus in the same way that your hands would, and transfer through touching your face or eating.
Regular hand washing or use of hand sanitisers is far better protection than wearing gloves.

Just live inside a space-suit.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:55 am

Dan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Definitely. Let’s hope it goes well at the 8 selected ones on Saturday. The National League reckon they’re having 1,000 fans in when their season starts on October 3rd. Let’s wait and see.

Some of the smaller NL teams would be delighted to have a crowd of 1000 especially if away fans are banned
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum