{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tranmere scorefred sponsored by Stags family ifollow TV

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Who was your man of the match?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Stech
1%
Menayese
1%
Rawson
No votes
Sweeney
1%
O'Keeffe
64%
Maris
1%
Clarke
8%
Benning
1%
Charsley
1%
Bowery
No votes
Cook
19%
Sinclair
No votes
Maynard
No votes

Total votes : 72

Re: Tranmere scorefred sponsored by Stags family ifollow TV

Postby spanishstag » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Thought it was a really good performance ,defence done the job ,no messing about just clear the danger ,midfield were in control ,andy cook was a right handful for their defence .Cant argue about anyones choice for MoM ,the icing on the cake for me was cooks performance and what he said in the interview about wanting to be here
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:41 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
The One wrote:
Nottsstag100 wrote:Billy the fish and diablo are the reasons why I hate this site sometimes

Very promising display we were on top for the majority and should have won it, need to kick on for next game

Midfield seems very creative compared to last year

Borderline trolling from those two

Nothing borderline about it.

Oh Dry your eyes Bell boy , it’s a message board to voice your opinions is it not ? Was I impressed with what I saw yesterday not at all , will I been tuned in watching on ifollow paying my money next game ? You bet I will

Haha.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Each to their own opinion & all that, but we're perhaps overlooking some of the transformation made here?

We were an unfit/unhappy team flirting around the wrong end of the table, and that game would have probably gone down as a scrappy 1-0 defeat last year

It's too early to say for sure, but yesterday suggests we've vastly improved our main issues: namely an absent midfield & shaky defence. We still have key players out & Bowery was never signed as a 20+ goal striker.

The main issue & focus for GC was to sort from the back & work forwards, and given our preferred forward line was absent then I can perhaps see why the scoring side fell short. Could be better, but could be a hell of a lot worse for an opening game of the season

Keeper looks like the best we've had for a while since Marriott.

Rawson and Meneyese both looked solid and tbh at times Rollin reminded me of Pearce just more agile and quicker/ better with the ball.

O'keefe is just brilliant, got back as much as he got forward.

Clarke won the ball well and knew when to play it and when to go long.

Maris, showed the difference between himself and Khan already, looks promising.

Charsley also improved and chased everything, quite good at winning the ball back.

Bowrey, will do damage against sides in this league.

Cook, brilliant... fit, chasing everything down, winning headers etc just missing a goal simple as that.

That’s basically What I think. A good performance. We deserved to win the game in my opinion . Players look a lot fitter.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:49 pm

spanishstag wrote:Thought it was a really good performance ,defence done the job ,no messing about just clear the danger ,midfield were in control ,andy cook was a right handful for their defence .Cant argue about anyones choice for MoM ,the icing on the cake for me was cooks performance and what he said in the interview about wanting to be here
A goal or two would help.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:41 am

Amber Andy wrote:
spanishstag wrote:Thought it was a really good performance ,defence done the job ,no messing about just clear the danger ,midfield were in control ,andy cook was a right handful for their defence .Cant argue about anyones choice for MoM ,the icing on the cake for me was cooks performance and what he said in the interview about wanting to be here
A goal or two would help.

Yes it would ,but i dont think cook and bowery will start together very often we were without rose and maynard is not up to speed yet ,reid must figure in GC s plans there are goals in this squad
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:46 am

Cook, Maynard, Bowery and Rose are 4 established league strikers, they'd likely walk into 80%+ of sides in this league. It's a tough job to keep them all happy with their game time. Then you've got Reid, a young hungry lad wanting to make a name for himself in the league. It'd be a bit silly for GC to play 2 up top and then put 3 strikers on the bench, especially considering Perch is on the bench and Sinclair has done very little (if anything) wrong so far. With McLaughlin joining he won't be happy being out the squad completely so we need a bench space for him (or Benning).

We need to have 1 player who is classed as trained by the club in matchday squad so Sinclair is all but guaranteed a spot somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if we start going into games without a substitute goalkeeper.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice dilemma. This is a good squad, after one game I'd even go as far to say this could be that one extra step needed after Flitcroft's 4th place finish. What we have now is basically what we should have had last season. Ask me again in 4 or so games time to get a real handle on our squad and capabilities, we've still got 2 good players to come in in Maynard and McLaughlin who are behind the rest of the squad.

I'm optimistic about the season. Yes you can argue we are 3 games into the season and we've drew 1 and lost 2 but it's clear to me that those Cup games were treated as friendlies, the Preston game interrupted our pre season preparation so was treated as such. The man City game to the Tranmere game had 5 changes to the starting XI and 6 players not even in the Tranmere match squad.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 am

gazza1988 wrote:Cook, Maynard, Bowery and Rose are 4 established league strikers, they'd likely walk into 80%+ of sides in this league. It's a tough job to keep them all happy with their game time. Then you've got Reid, a young hungry lad wanting to make a name for himself in the league. It'd be a bit silly for GC to play 2 up top and then put 3 strikers on the bench, especially considering Perch is on the bench and Sinclair has done very little (if anything) wrong so far. With McLaughlin joining he won't be happy being out the squad completely so we need a bench space for him (or Benning).

We need to have 1 player who is classed as trained by the club in matchday squad so Sinclair is all but guaranteed a spot somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if we start going into games without a substitute goalkeeper.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice dilemma. This is a good squad, after one game I'd even go as far to say this could be that one extra step needed after Flitcroft's 4th place finish. What we have now is basically what we should have had last season. Ask me again in 4 or so games time to get a real handle on our squad and capabilities, we've still got 2 good players to come in in Maynard and McLaughlin who are behind the rest of the squad.

I'm optimistic about the season. Yes you can argue we are 3 games into the season and we've drew 1 and lost 2 but it's clear to me that those Cup games were treated as friendlies, the Preston game interrupted our pre season preparation so was treated as such. The man City game to the Tranmere game had 5 changes to the starting XI and 6 players not even in the Tranmere match squad.

I think under previous management, and squads, I'd have been worried about how we'd keep them all happy. But feel more confident that they all know the role they play and we can play to their strengths, and GC is more than capable of handling that pressure from players. It's very clear that it's down to the players to show why they should be included.

I like our strike options now. One thing that Lincoln did extremely well in their promotion season was being able to switch their style of play very quickly with 1 or 2 subs. Sometimes you need to be able to lump it up to big strikers, other times it's nice to pass it through.

I'm the same as you, optimistic for the season. I hope we're more consistent, but I think we have had much better pre-season prep for fitness (Cook being prime example) and our 11 yesterday was much more balanced
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:27 am

Really pleased with how we played, loads better then what we showed in pre season, we looked strong and organised, midfield looked like it had legs and quality. Cook did really well too, We still have Maynard and Rose to come back in also Mclaughlin too, good squad.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:05 pm

8 games a month will need 4 strikers.
It's great to hear about fitness being so good.
It's going to be a hard slog for any footballer.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:06 pm

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 pm

Most players completed 11k+ on Sat...not sure how that compares to 'best practice' but sounds good! Would be interested to see how many k we were doinf last season, cant imagine the likes of Mellis doing anywhere near that!
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum