{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tranmere scorefred sponsored by Stags family ifollow TV

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Who was your man of the match?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Stech
1%
Menayese
1%
Rawson
No votes
Sweeney
1%
O'Keeffe
64%
Maris
1%
Clarke
8%
Benning
1%
Charsley
1%
Bowery
No votes
Cook
19%
Sinclair
No votes
Maynard
No votes

Total votes : 72

Re: Tranmere scorefred sponsored by Stags family ifollow TV

Postby The One » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:17 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Tranmere will be delighted with a point.

Really ? You watching the same game ? We huffed and puffed and created little , Bowery and Cook upfront to start told you everything about this team ..: Irish clown hasn’t a clue roll on the influence of of David Sharpe on the managerial front Paul cook incoming ..

For a man who posted this on Tuesday:
Billy the fish wrote:We’ve looked poor all pre-season in defence I fear the worse Saturday..

At least you are consistent on your thoughts on the current squad

Don’t understand what your defending George unless it’s the point we didn’t ship 3+ goals ?

Did we ship 3 goals ? NO
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:18 pm

I think things will only get better.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:23 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Tranmere will be delighted with a point.

Really ? You watching the same game ? We huffed and puffed and created little , Bowery and Cook upfront to start told you everything about this team ..: Irish clown hasn’t a clue roll on the influence of of David Sharpe on the managerial front Paul cook incoming ..

For a man who posted this on Tuesday:
Billy the fish wrote:We’ve looked poor all pre-season in defence I fear the worse Saturday..

At least you are consistent on your thoughts on the current squad

Don’t understand what your defending George unless it’s the point we didn’t ship 3+ goals ?

I was defending you - you have been consistently flame baiting and negative about the squad. You didn't jump on the 0-0 to be negative as some opportunistic whim. For you, it is a long term campaign of disliking GC
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:28 pm

Liked the no nonsense defending today, there was no fanning about with it at the back, the ball was launched up field at any sign of danger.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Think we deserved 3 points for starting with squad numbers 1-11
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:35 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:55 pm

The One wrote:
Nottsstag100 wrote:Billy the fish and diablo are the reasons why I hate this site sometimes

Very promising display we were on top for the majority and should have won it, need to kick on for next game

Midfield seems very creative compared to last year

Borderline trolling from those two

Nothing borderline about it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:17 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
The One wrote:
Nottsstag100 wrote:Billy the fish and diablo are the reasons why I hate this site sometimes

Very promising display we were on top for the majority and should have won it, need to kick on for next game

Agree
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:05 pm

Liked look of Cook today
Well done to him and deserves good run in the team
Happy with result but win on first day would have been better though
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:03 am

Each to their own opinion & all that, but we're perhaps overlooking some of the transformation made here?

We were an unfit/unhappy team flirting around the wrong end of the table, and that game would have probably gone down as a scrappy 1-0 defeat last year

It's too early to say for sure, but yesterday suggests we've vastly improved our main issues: namely an absent midfield & shaky defence. We still have key players out & Bowery was never signed as a 20+ goal striker.

The main issue & focus for GC was to sort from the back & work forwards, and given our preferred forward line was absent then I can perhaps see why the scoring side fell short. Could be better, but could be a hell of a lot worse for an opening game of the season
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:08 am

The two big positives yesterday was keeping a clean sheet and Andy Cook losing weight which will aid us greatly through the season, well done Andy.
KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:17 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Each to their own opinion & all that, but we're perhaps overlooking some of the transformation made here?

We were an unfit/unhappy team flirting around the wrong end of the table, and that game would have probably gone down as a scrappy 1-0 defeat last year

It's too early to say for sure, but yesterday suggests we've vastly improved our main issues: namely an absent midfield & shaky defence. We still have key players out & Bowery was never signed as a 20+ goal striker.

The main issue & focus for GC was to sort from the back & work forwards, and given our preferred forward line was absent then I can perhaps see why the scoring side fell short. Could be better, but could be a hell of a lot worse for an opening game of the season

Keeper looks like the best we've had for a while since Marriott.

Rawson and Meneyese both looked solid and tbh at times Rollin reminded me of Pearce just more agile and quicker/ better with the ball.

O'keefe is just brilliant, got back as much as he got forward.

Clarke won the ball well and knew when to play it and when to go long.

Maris, showed the difference between himself and Khan already, looks promising.

Charsley also improved and chased everything, quite good at winning the ball back.

Bowrey, will do damage against sides in this league.

Cook, brilliant... fit, chasing everything down, winning headers etc just missing a goal simple as that.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:30 am

It was pretty obvious that GC's instructions were "get it up front as quickly as possible" which was pretty apparent to anyone actually watching the game, we had two big men up front and the ball was lumped in the air to them as often as possible.In my experience for this tactic to succeed is you need a target man ( the excellent Cook) and a quick runner unfortunately we appeared to have a not so quick thinking runner in the role.Tranmere were trying to play football which was why the statistics showed they had more possession than us. I think on balance a draw was a fair result and credit to both defences.Tranmere will be happy with an away point . I think the next game will see changes of personel but the tactics will remain although personally I would prefer us to play more football and mix the tactics a bit, but as ever its goals he count..my MOM Carey O'Keefe
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:57 am

diablo wrote:

It was pretty obvious that GC's instructions were "get it up front as quickly as possible" which was pretty apparent to anyone actually watching the game, we had two big men up front and the ball was lumped in the air to them as often as possible.In my experience for this tactic to succeed is you need a target man ( the excellent Cook) and a quick runner unfortunately we appeared to have a not so quick thinking runner in the role.Tranmere were trying to play football which was why the statistics showed they had more possession than us. I think on balance a draw was a fair result and credit to both defences.Tranmere will be happy with an away point . I think the next game will see changes of personel but the tactics will remain although personally I would prefer us to play more football and mix the tactics a bit, but as ever its goals he count..my MOM Carey O'Keefe

If you look at the stats in depth and not just the 1% more possession :lol: ....Tranmere played more long balls, aimless ones at that.

Stags Tranmere

181 Accurate passes 196
61% Pass success 60%
69 Long balls 95
35 Crosses 17
47 Accurate long balls 23

Tranmere played more simple passes back snd fourth then lumped it forward. Stags played it when needed and got it forward when needed, Ollie Clarke did this brilliantly, we hardly went sideways or backwards for the sake of it, don't think you were paying attention and clearly backtracking after a stupid comment in the first place.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:19 am

Bowery reminds me of Emile Heskey, he won’t score loads but his strike partner will love him. Need to put a Micheal Owen next to him and a goal scoring midfielder behind him to get the best out of him.

That said as a target man I’d go with Cook as he offers a bit more of a goal threat and he looks like he’s got the desire to put the hard work in this season.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:20 am

Maybe some perspective too from Tranmere fans who think we are the worst of the sides they’ve played recently. Think they are just bitter myself. If we’re bad . are Tranmere!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:23 am

Sedgwick wrote:
diablo wrote:

If you look at the stats in depth and not just the 1% more possession :lol: ....Tranmere played more long balls, aimless ones at that.

Stags Tranmere

181 Accurate passes 196
61% Pass success 60%
69 Long balls 95
35 Crosses 17
47 Accurate long balls 23

Tranmere played more simple passes back snd fourth then lumped it forward. Stags played it when needed and got it forward when needed, Ollie Clarke did this brilliantly, we hardly went sideways or backwards for the sake of it, don't think you were paying attention and clearly backtracking after a stupid comment in the first place.

Cogger also said that a couple of the centre backs would be getting a clip round the ear for going long too often in the second half.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:04 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Each to their own opinion & all that, but we're perhaps overlooking some of the transformation made here?

Just about sums my views up perfectly Mutiny. I'm not overly optimistic about our chances this season, but am a little more so after Saturday.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:02 am

Good solid opening day performance for me that !

Green shoots from the dark days of last season

well done GC & well done the players .....even Bowery
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:04 am

diablo wrote:

If you listen to his aftermatch interview ,he says he will have to give his defenders ,i think he says ,a clip round the ears for playing it long too many times
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:57 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Maybe some perspective too from Tranmere fans who think we are the worst of the sides they’ve played recently. Think they are just bitter myself. If we’re bad . are Tranmere!!!

Seeing as they’ve not played a league game since March, aren’t we also by definition the best they’ve played recently?... too much to try and draw definitive conclusions from that game. My view is we were better but not glittering by any means
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:00 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Maybe some perspective too from Tranmere fans who think we are the worst of the sides they’ve played recently. Think they are just bitter myself. If we’re bad . are Tranmere!!!

Seeing as they’ve not played a league game since March, aren’t we also by definition the best they’ve played recently?... too much to try and draw definitive conclusions from that game. My view is we were better but not glittering by any means

Agreed and having finished 21st last year, i would take that for the first game of the season every time.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:01 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
The One wrote:

Oh Dry your eyes Bell boy , it’s a message board to voice your opinions is it not ? Was I impressed with what I saw yesterday not at all , will I been tuned in watching on ifollow paying my money next game ? You bet I will
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:11 pm

Really encouraging reading the majority of the comments on here. Usually it’s all doom and gloom if we’ve not won 5-0 so it makes a refreshing change.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:31 pm

I've added a man of the match poll.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager