{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Signing today - Stephen McLaughlin

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Signing today - Stephen McLaughlin

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:58 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Short term deal

Modern definition - Pre salary cap players hung out for more money hoping to force clubs to pay over the odds wages to players though after the salary cap they had to take what was offered at the last minute.

Or maybe he has injury issues.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 pm

Stephen McLaughlin becomes another player to play for all three Notts clubs in the EFL along with Colin Calderwood, Trevor Christie, Darren Ward, Jason Lee, John Thompson, Kieran Freeman, Craig Westcarr, Jorge Grant etc

Any others?
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:25 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Modern definition - Pre salary cap players hung out for more money hoping to force clubs to pay over the odds wages to players though after the salary cap they had to take what was offered at the last minute.

Injury Issues???? I know that at times our recruitment process in the past has been on a par with going down to the Seamen’s Mission and signing on the Pirate with the shiniest wooden leg but I can’t see Dave Sharpe being that blunt that we would sign on another ‘nearly cripple’?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Stephen McLaughlin becomes another player to play for all three Notts clubs in the EFL along with Colin Calderwood, Trevor Christie, Darren Ward, Jason Lee, John Thompson, Kieran Freeman, Craig Westcarr, Paul Anderson etc

Any others?

Jimmy Knowles
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:33 pm

Jimmy Knowles has not played for Forest's first team.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:40 pm

Some quick feedback from Southend fans on Stephen McLaughlin:

"Very good left winger and great left foot who chips in with a few goals too. Always works hard for team. Coughlan will know him very well. Gutted to have lost him."

"Good player. Has been a great servant to Southend."

"So sorry to see him go. Could have been a big player for us this season. A good servant to the club."

"Good luck to him. Fully committed player bit unfortunate with injuries."

"Blows hot and cold. A tidy player with confidence"

"Thunderbolt shot, but as said blows hot and cold, however he is a good player that I wish was still with us"

"Weakness. He doesn't get back enough and lazy son of a bitch and strengths he can score some cracking goals"

"Too many off days compared to good, needs a good run of games to get the best out of him again."

"Good crosser of the ball. Excellent touch. Work rate average at best. raspberrys in a challenge. Always whingeing. Glad to see the back of him."

"When initially on loan I liked him. He was also ok for his first season then..... a total waste of time other than an occasional glimpse of ability - waste of a decent salary."

"Just past his sell buy date. Thanks for the loyalty over the last few raspberry years"

"Mixed feelings. First couple of seasons, on his day he was the best player on the pitch, but past couple of years too many injuries, inconsistent and I'd noticed the lack of tracking back etc, usually ran out of steam around 70mins. Maybe the new challenge will what he needs."
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagsfan11 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Stephen McLaughlin becomes another player to play for all three Notts clubs in the EFL along with Colin Calderwood, Trevor Christie, Darren Ward, Jason Lee, John Thompson, Kieran Freeman, Craig Westcarr, Paul Anderson etc

Any others?

Jorge Grant
Stagsfan11
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:51 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Probably a deal till a January whilst hoping the Covid situation improves. Keeps himself fit playing games giving us his experience and then considers his options then Suits both parties
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:55 pm

Stagsfan11 wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Stephen McLaughlin becomes another player to play for all three Notts clubs in the EFL along with Colin Calderwood, Trevor Christie, Darren Ward, Jason Lee, John Thompson, Kieran Freeman, Craig Westcarr, etc

Any others?

Jorge Grant

Who have been permanent signings for all three clubs? - Trevor Christie, Darren Ward, Jason Lee, John Thompson, Craig Westcarr
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:36 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Or he's a winger willing to give wing back/centre mid a chance and wants a get out if he doesn't enjoy it/cant adapt.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:35 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Stephen McLaughlin becomes another player to play for all three Notts clubs in the EFL along with Colin Calderwood, Trevor Christie, Darren Ward, Jason Lee, John Thompson, Kieran Freeman, Craig Westcarr, Jorge Grant etc

Any others?

He played for Stags January 1st 2012, Forest January 8th 2012 and County January 14th 2012. Unique.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:09 pm

:) Welcome Stephen to MTFC
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:45 am

Welcome to MTFC Stephen & good luck
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:34 am

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:02 am

Good signing and shame he missed all the pre season
Slightly worried about good and bad days though from Southend fans
We need consistency this season with a big C
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:10 am

It will be nice to have someone with a Johnny Miller/Louis Briscoe type rocket shot again.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:25 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It will be nice to have someone with a Johnny Miller/Louis Briscoe type rocket shot again.

not forgetting the ability to cross a ball !!! imagine that option
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:47 am

If they could cross a ball then they would not be playing in League 2 :lol:

CJ used to roll some lovely balls across the edge of the area but we never had any midfield players charging forward to smash them in.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:58 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:If they could cross a ball then they would not be playing in League 2 :lol:

CJ used to roll some lovely balls across the edge of the area but we never had any midfield players charging forward to smash them in.

Must have been under Flitcroft because CJ forgot how to kick a ball last season.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:20 pm

I've written up the interview for the latest news archive:

Stephen McLaughlin told iFollow Stags:
"It's been a long time coming, it's been going on for a while now.
"The gaffer ... (was the main attraction) ... I've know him for quite a while now.
"My mind is ready (to play on Saturday), but I don't know if I'm fit enough to go straight back in to game time yet. I think Saturday will be too soon for me.
"We're going to have a game on Tuesday and I'm going to get 45 minutes there, and we'll see how I come out the other end of that.
"I'm a left winger, I like creating and scoring goals. I work hard for the team.
"Last season, the only positions I didn't play was centre half and right back. I played up front, midfield, on the right, on the left, left back. It doesn't really bother me. I like playing on the left or coming in off the right.
(Question about short term deal).
"I've known Graham for a long time, and I trust him, so if I get in and get playing, you never know what will happen after that."

-------------------
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:51 pm

I’d love to know what took it so long to get done. That could cost us big time in the long run.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:55 am

16/09/20: Statement by Southend Chairman, Ron Martin.

I assume Stephen MacLoughlin is included in Ron Martin's reference to overpaid underperforming players.

"Mark Molesley inherited a young squad as a consequence of me taking my scalpel to the squad throughout last year. There were many players last season (and the year before if the truth was known) who enjoyed big salaries but did not perform to either their ability or maybe our recruitment could be criticised too. Throughout last year we negotiated the payoff of four players and contracts came to an end in June… a change around of some 13 personnel. Changes needed to be made and this was a deliberate strategy to clear the decks for the new management team. We have reduced the balance owed to HMRC, by a third but cashflow over the past six months has been very limited and we have had the carry the club costs through this difficult Covid period including paying off overpaid/underperforming players."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:23 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:16/09/20: Statement by Southend Chairman, Ron Martin.

I assume Stephen MacLoughlin is included in Ron Martin's reference to overpaid underperforming players.

"Mark Molesley inherited a young squad as a consequence of me taking my scalpel to the squad throughout last year. There were many players last season (and the year before if the truth was known) who enjoyed big salaries but did not perform to either their ability or maybe our recruitment could be criticised too. Throughout last year we negotiated the payoff of four players and contracts came to an end in June… a change around of some 13 personnel. Changes needed to be made and this was a deliberate strategy to clear the decks for the new management team. We have reduced the balance owed to HMRC, by a third but cashflow over the past six months has been very limited and we have had the carry the club costs through this difficult Covid period including paying off overpaid/underperforming players."

That can also read we signed and paid wages that were above our income and its all the players fault
The One
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum