{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Wanna tell you a story...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Wanna tell you a story...

Postby DazMondo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:27 pm

I know this is not current, but I have a story from the 70s and 80s that did not surprise me really, but it was still bad, which ever way you looked at it.

I have thought about posting it before, but to be fair I couldn't be bothered.

Back in 2016, my family had a two week holiday in Sardinia. In the villa next door were a couple from Surrey in their late 70s. Both were very fit for their age.
One night we invited them over to our bbq.
The man's name was Rob and he was a former football league referee before becoming a sports teacher.
Some of our party were from Durham and Rob thought we were all from that way until the bbq.
Anyway, on mentioning that I was a stags fan, it transpired that he had reffed a few of our games and been a linesman at some games that he could remember.
When the beers began to flow, he stated that he had wronged Mansfield Town on several occasions.
He told me and the brother in law, that he hated Mansfield and Halifax Town with a passion. I can't remember why he disliked Halifax but he hated us because his car was vandalised at a night game. All his tyres were slashed and nowhere was open to deal with his problem meaning he couldn't get home and was eventually put up for the night by a linesman who lived in Sheffield and had to return to Field Mill the next day to have all his tyres replaced, he said Mansfield Town and the police offered him no help at all.
From then on, whenever he reffed our games, he did everything in his power to stop us from winning. He could not tell me which games in specific but he did remember one game was in a cup game where he disallowed a perfectly good goal, turned down a blatant penalty and we lost.
I've tried finding out which game that it could have been, but not having any programmes means I can't find his full name. Carlisle in 75 springs to mind. Maybe someone else will know.

He also told us it was common practice amongst refs in those days for many reasons. He told us one ref hated Southend because they scored in the last minute once and cost him 8 draws on the pools. He also said some refs would pay you back handers before games, so they could win bets.
But worst of all, he said managers and directors would bribe you or offer you things like free holidays or Cup final tickets.
He knew Don Revie or members of the Leeds board would do this often.
Like I say, it doesn't surprise me. He did mention he regretted it, but it was rife throughout the game in that period. He also mentioned that lots of refs would end midweek matches early, especially southern refs chosen to officiate up north. Nobody wanted Hartlepool on a Tuesday night were his exact words.

I wonder how many other refs disliked us, we have had our fair share of unbelievable decisions go against in my 40 years of spectating.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Wanna tell you a story...

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:37 pm

It all makes sense now...
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby w12stag » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:22 pm

It's life always was, always will be.
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Uncle » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:21 pm

DazMondo wrote:When the beers began to flow, he stated that he had wronged Mansfield Town on several occasions.
He told me and the brother in law, that he hated Mansfield and Halifax Town with a passion. I can't remember why he disliked Halifax but he hated us because his car was vandalised at a night game. he said Mansfield Town and the police offered him no help at all.
From then on, whenever he reffed our games, he did everything in his power to stop us from winning. He could not tell me which games in specific but he did remember one game was in a cup game where he disallowed a perfectly good goal, turned down a blatant penalty and we lost. .

That is one of the funniest stories I've read on here.... Don't get mad, get even.
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby KJW STAG » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:49 pm

;) i think he was already crooked if he had is tyres done , just made him worse .
KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby 1975stag » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 pm

Wonder how we pissed Clattenburg off before the Cardiff final then .....
1975stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Big yella » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:15 pm

1975stag wrote:Wonder how we pissed Clattenburg off before the Cardiff final then .....

Marriner against Liverpool.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:55 pm

The referee for the Carlisle United FA Cup game in Feb 1975 was Jack Taylor who refereed the 1974 World Cup Final between West Germany and Holland in Munich and awarded two penalties, the first ever given in a World Cup Final.. He gave one to Holland in the 2nd minute which Johan Neeskens scored and then one to West Germany in the 25th minute which Paul Breitner scored.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 pm

Jack was a Wolverhampton butcher.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MOTG » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:19 am

Interesting story. Could it of been Robert (Bob)Mathewson ? He was from Bolton but born in Newcastle. He was an ex player himself . With him being originally from Newcastle and thinking you were from Durham. Just a thought .
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:43 am

The moral of the story is don't slash the refs tyres :lol:

These people are of course still human beings, I've always thought it counter productive when managers like Evans spend the whole game berating the referee as he did (and he is on the worst for it).
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:07 am

Rob wrote:The moral of the story is don't slash the refs tyres :lol:

These people are of course still human beings, I've always thought it counter productive when managers like Evans spend the whole game berating the referee as he did (and he is on the worst for it).

Worked for the Cowley's
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:19 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Worked for the Cowley's

I didn’t know the Cowleys slashed refs tyres. :D
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:02 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Worked for the Cowley's

No it didn't, they were sacked from their last job :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Rob wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Worked for the Cowley's

No it didn't, they were sacked from their last job :lol:

Worked at Lincoln might I add then.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:49 pm

I don't agree Bobby, they did well at Lincoln because they had a decent wage budget and had time to build a strong squad. Nothing to do with refs. I think most refs are highly unlikely to be swayed by the behaviour on the sidelines and I would say my own experience is that you are more likely to get a 50-50 if you've not been a dick all game :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:17 pm

Referees are failed footballers who've never had se
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:38 pm

MOTG wrote:Interesting story. Could it of been Robert (Bob)Mathewson ? He was from Bolton but born in Newcastle. He was an ex player himself . With him being originally from Newcastle and thinking you were from Durham. Just a thought .

That's really interesting because he also told us about a well known ref at that time who was a Newcastle fan but lived miles from there.
Apparently he got to ref Newcastle games and let's say he was their 12th man and he also reffed Sunderland games (the brother in law is Sunderland through and through) whom never got the decisions going their way.

Rob, I think was from the South, he had a soft southern accent and was a fan of Arsenal and he didn't think much of the North. The brother in law had spoken to him much more than me prior to the invite, so he maybe told him he was from Durham.
Hence, he thought we were all from Durham.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:41 pm

Totally unrelated to the OP but a guy in my village is a scout (still working for a L2 club) and was employed by MTFC in the Haslam / Curle days. Seen him a few times on trains back from games and his insights to things at that time are eye opening. He didn't seem bothered on holding back!
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:Totally unrelated to the OP but a guy in my village is a scout (still working for a L2 club) and was employed by MTFC in the Haslam / Curle days. Seen him a few times on trains back from games and his insights to things at that time are eye opening. He didn't seem bothered on holding back!

Come on then! :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Dan wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:Totally unrelated to the OP but a guy in my village is a scout (still working for a L2 club) and was employed by MTFC in the Haslam / Curle days. Seen him a few times on trains back from games and his insights to things at that time are eye opening. He didn't seem bothered on holding back!

Come on then! :D

Being honest, I've normally had a few too many drinks by the time I get the train home to remember. He did tell me that him and another staff member had to have a sit-in in one of offices until they got paid, they were there most of the night apparently. He didn't have too many nice words to say about the unmentioned one.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum