{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

interview with John and Carolyn

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: interview with John and Carolyn

Postby five to three » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:37 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Rob wrote:I am perhaps on my own here and I do hope I am wrong, but all the signals appear to me to point to a slow, but inevitable exit from the club for the Radfords. Sometimes other things in life are just more important, they have done a wonderful job for the club and words cannot express what they have done for us, but I suspect the last few weeks will be looked back upon as the beginning of the end.

Or they just want someone to run the club for them while they in portugal.

At a fans forum a year or two back now they said something along the lines of "they want there kids to enjoy running MTFC when they're older". I genuinely believe that they arnt going anywhere for a long long time.

I think it is a case that one of them has had their fuss out of the club but at least the other one continues to care.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby James » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:33 am

five to three wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Rob wrote:I am perhaps on my own here and I do hope I am wrong, but all the signals appear to me to point to a slow, but inevitable exit from the club for the Radfords. Sometimes other things in life are just more important, they have done a wonderful job for the club and words cannot express what they have done for us, but I suspect the last few weeks will be looked back upon as the beginning of the end.

Or they just want someone to run the club for them while they in portugal.

At a fans forum a year or two back now they said something along the lines of "they want there kids to enjoy running MTFC when they're older". I genuinely believe that they arnt going anywhere for a long long time.

I think it is a case that one of them has had their fuss out of the club but at least the other one continues to care.

Which one doesn’t care then?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:17 am

Part 2

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:22 pm

I've transcribed most of the interview for the news archive, and for anyone who's unable to watch the video:

John and Carolyn Radford interview on iFollow Stags, broadcast Friday 4 Sept 2020

Question on the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on football and rewind the clock:

Carolyn: "For me it was a case of football should only come back when it was safe to do so. We were definitely not advocates of trying to push to finish the season.

John: "The club did take advantage of the furlough scheme with the people who work in the stadium. I think that was ok for League Two clubs to do. Other than that we had to fund a lot of things ourselves. The Football League have given the club an advance on future payments.

Carolyn: "But it's only an advance."

John: "Losing your paying customers on a weekly basis hurts a football club as much as it hurts cinemas, bowling alleys, restaurants, etc, we all suffered.

John: "The club will get revenue if any of our fans buy iFollow Stags tickets (match passes), especially on the away games.

Carolyn: "If you can really push friends and family to support the football club or just want to help out, please ask them to purchase the away iFollow passes, because we get 100% of the revenue after the first 500 sold. The clubs that have bigger away followings are going to do better out of this. We want everybody to watch the away games on iFollow, pay £10, because that's really the only income that we're going to have, other than us funding it ourselves.

John: "And hopefully we can open the stadium as soon as possible. We can't wait for it to get back to normal.

John: "The club's secure, we've got a good fanbase, good sponsors. The club is not in financial difficulty in any sort of way.

Carolyn: "Hopefully we've put together a really competitive squad.

John: "We need our fans to support in the stadium, we need our fans to support us on iFollow Stags. The more our fans can support us, the easier journey our club will have.

Question on David Sharpe appointed as new CEO:

Carolyn: "We (John and I) both love the football club and want it to thrive and prosper and be sustainable. A lot of that has to do with somebody on the ground being there day in day out driving the place forward. We've all learnt how to do zoom, but a football club needs strong people on the ground pushing it forward day in day out. And I felt that I couldn't give the commitment that was required to get the club going forward.

John: "You only need to look at our training ground and see how well that's come on, and our training ground has got Steve Hymas here and what a fantastic job he has created down here.

John: "Carolyn's not been able to put the time in down at the stadium. She's joining me as co-chair. We need someone that's had the experience, enthusiastic and can put the time in, and David (Sharpe, as CEO) will do that.

Carolyn: "David is so enthusiastic, he's a good guy, we've know him for a number of years now. His work ethic is second to none.

John: "David will be reporting to Carolyn and myself on a regular basis, which he's already been doing (as Director of Football). We'll be giving him direction. He'll come up with new ideas. And his integrity is second to none.

Carolyn: "I think he's going to look at every department, make sure everything's running smoothly, give everybody energy and direction. I want the stadium to look immaculate. And have high standards.

Question on the proposed hotel and Bishop Street stand:

John: "A lot of hotels have closed down at the moment. They've just built a new Travelodge around the corner. We've got the planning. I think it depends how well we do on the field as to which project gets put up first. Certainly if we go into League One, one of the projects will be done, either the Bishop Street stand or the hotel. But we have to look at what the current economics are. There's no point in throwing money into a big white elephant. We need to see how we can see the town growing.

Question: what are you expectations for the new season:

John: "I want us to do really well. But let's do better than last season at the very least.

Carolyn: "I want the team to make us proud and provide really entertaining football, win matches, and if you do that you're going to do very well.

Question: what's your message to the fans ahead of the new season:

Carolyn: "Please buy your away iFollow passes and help your football club.

John: "On iFollow Stags. Please. Thank you."

---------------------
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:05 pm

Instead of buying iFollow passes, for which I’m guessing the club don’t get 100% of, why don’t the club set up a new account that we can donate directly in to rather than giving some to iFollow or other clubs? Just an idea.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum