{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cambridge to host 2 test events

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Cambridge to host 2 test events

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:29 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Cambridge to host 2 test events

Postby spanishstag » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:02 pm

2500 in a stadium with a capacity of just over 8000,albeit it does have 4 stands ,wonder how many will be allowed at the mill
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:34 pm

When finishing off the 19/20 season Prem and Championship players commented that they felt home advantage was lost with no fans in the ground. Are Cambridge therefore at an advantage over others playing at home in L2 on the same day? I'm all for progress to get things moving more widely and perhaps it's a bit of a picky moan from me, but why should they have 2,500 fans cheering them on against Carlisle when other teams in L2 won't have that?
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:50 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:When finishing off the 19/20 season Prem and Championship players commented that they felt home advantage was lost with no fans in the ground. Are Cambridge therefore at an advantage over others playing at home in L2 on the same day? I'm all for progress to get things moving more widely and perhaps it's a bit of a picky moan from me, but why should they have 2,500 fans cheering them on against Carlisle when other teams in L2 won't have that?

Good point , but I’d guess Bolton(Lock down) wouldn’t be happy if all league 4 home games let a percentage of fans in ?? We have to start somewhere
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:27 pm

Maybe the people that decided it are Cambridge educated and had a bit of say with the EFL, nudge nudge wink wink? Why were they were given preferential treatment? It certainly does give them an advantage, financially too.
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:When finishing off the 19/20 season Prem and Championship players commented that they felt home advantage was lost with no fans in the ground. Are Cambridge therefore at an advantage over others playing at home in L2 on the same day? I'm all for progress to get things moving more widely and perhaps it's a bit of a picky moan from me, but why should they have 2,500 fans cheering them on against Carlisle when other teams in L2 won't have that?

I think the studies done since lockdown have shown that home advantage is not to do with the crowd.

Although no one has compared it to when there are home fans AND no away fans so maybe thats a point.

In answer to the point above I think Cambridge have been involved in a joint project with whoever decides this so that’s why they have been chosen.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:28 am

Old timer wrote:Maybe the people that decided it are Cambridge educated and had a bit of say with the EFL, nudge nudge wink wink? Why were they were given preferential treatment? It certainly does give them an advantage, financially too.

That is a hell of leap to make, I am not convinced anyone running the EFL had an education let alone an Oxbridge one :lol:
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:43 am

Once crowds are allowed back to games it is almost certain that’d it will be home fans only . If the 2 game trial works and fans are allowed back simply make Cambridge games no fans for the next .two games .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:46 am

one f in mansfield wrote:

Once crowds are allowed back to games it is almost certain that’d it will be home fans only . If the 2 game trial works and fans are allowed back simply make Cambridge games no fans for the next Two games while everyone else catches up . The only potential disadvantaged clubs then are the two away clubs who have played Cambridge.
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:46 am

one f in mansfield wrote:
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:20 am

What were people expecting ? That all grounds would be opened up on the same day without any advance trial events to ensure the plans were workable ? If Cambridge have worked with the relevant authorities to help devise the national procedures then they have earned the right to do this. Also, it mentions the fact that they have both seating and terracing, something which would exclude many clubs including ours from hosting the trial. As one of the games is in the EFL trophy the impact on the league will be minimal. With regards to the comment on financial gain, I would imagine that most of the attendees will be season ticket holders who have already paid anyway.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Il cervo bianco » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:13 am

:good_post:
Il cervo bianco
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:56 am

Exactly Dave. The first game has 1000 maximum attendees. This probably wouldn't come under a season ticket but we have to start somewhere, plus these games are usually only a tenner or so. Would people rather we were the lab rats? Or are we upset that we are missing out on £10,000 (assuming 1000 adults pay £10 each).

The league game is for 2500 to attend. That likely to be the amount of season ticket holders they have (pure guess but sounds about right). You've also got the University there which is around 10 miles from the ground. I'd wager some of the capacity will be researchers from there gathering data.

Think about it this way. Cambridge are the lab rats to see if it's safe to restart spectators at sports. That money they make on spectators and non-season ticket holders is their compensation for being the test subjects.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:46 am

Cambridge are the lab rats, one of the first to have their test events that will benefit us all. Any lessons learnt from their game will greatly benefit ourselves and any test events that we have. If the SAG and the club apply any learning from the Cambridge game surely it should expedite fans returning to Field Mill.

Where I sit in the West Stand Lower, thanks in part to the design of the stadium and the requirements of social distancing, there a few hurdles to overcome. Namely, queuing at the turnstiles and will all turnstiles be open to accommodate the crowd; the queue for the kiosk backing up to the turnstile entrances; the narrow tunnels at the toilets and rear of the stand; one way systems to be introduced; how this is all to be communicated etc, etc.

Cambridge may be the start of a shorter learning curve for the Stags to enable to get back to some sort of new normal.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby MansfieldMick » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:26 pm

Interesting to watch the Rugby yesterday Harlequins v Bath at the Stoop, 2700 fans let in with a capacity of 14,000. Surely if you can let this amount into a open aired sports ground then I fail to see why we can't let 2000 in next Saturday??? They have the same situation, turnstiles, kiosks, toilets as football stadia. Thoughts anyone???
MansfieldMick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:36 pm

MansfieldMick wrote:Interesting to watch the Rugby yesterday Harlequins v Bath at the Stoop, 2700 fans let in with a capacity of 14,000. Surely if you can let this amount into a open aired sports ground then I fail to see why we can't let 2000 in next Saturday??? They have the same situation, turnstiles, kiosks, toilets as football stadia. Thoughts anyone???

it was a test event, like the Cambridge football one.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:37 pm

MansfieldMick wrote:Interesting to watch the Rugby yesterday Harlequins v Bath at the Stoop, 2700 fans let in with a capacity of 14,000. Surely if you can let this amount into a open aired sports ground then I fail to see why we can't let 2000 in next Saturday??? They have the same situation, turnstiles, kiosks, toilets as football stadia. Thoughts anyone???

Nearly 3000 (2998) cases yesterday. I feel no crowds for sometime if these figures carry on.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MansfieldMick » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:44 pm

The One wrote:

Nearly 3000 (2998) cases yesterday. I feel no crowds for sometime if these figures carry on.

I agree but why let fans into rugby grounds? Surely it's all or none IMO.
MansfieldMick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:47 pm

MansfieldMick wrote:
The One wrote:

Like someone said it was a test event, also prior to todays case release.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:54 pm

The One wrote:
MansfieldMick wrote:
The One wrote:

Think you can dismiss any hope of a return to football stadiums any time soon.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:59 pm

oldweststander wrote:
The One wrote:
MansfieldMick wrote:
The One wrote:

Think you can dismiss any hope of a return to football stadiums any time soon.

Agree there
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Is their game at the weekend going ahead still?

Any idea how many they got in last night?
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:11 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Upper West » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:20 pm

862. Probably about what they would normally get for a match in this competition.

I notice the sponsors are Checkatrade again. It was Leasing.com last season.
Upper West
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:24 pm

Upper West wrote:

862. Probably about what they would normally get for a match in this competition.

I notice the sponsors are Checkatrade again. It was Leasing.com last season.

there are no sponsors this season, it is just the EFL Trophy
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum