{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

interview with John and Carolyn

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

interview with John and Carolyn

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:49 pm

14 minute interview with John and Carolyn (recorded a few days ago when they were in the UK) is available to view for iFollow Stags subscribers
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: interview with John and Carolyn

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:06 pm

What do they say?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:11 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:What do they say?

They explain why David Sharpe has been promoted.

Aim for this season: "let's do better than last season!"

They would like you to buy iFollow match passes, especially for away games, as that will be just about the club's only source of income in these difficult times. "And please encourage your friends to do the same."
"Q: Final message to the fans?" "Please buy your away iFollow match pass and help your football club."

You'll be able to watch bits of the interview from tomorrow on the club's social media.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

They would like you to buy iFollow match passes, especially for away games, as that will be just about the club's only source of income in these difficult times. "And please encourage your friends to do the same."
"Q: Final message to the fans?" "Please buy your away iFollow match pass and help your football club."

You'll be able to watch bits of the interview from tomorrow on the club's social media.

Thanks for the summary Martin.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

The whole thing should be available for all to watch, Its the owners of the club. I always support iFollow but this is one interview that shouldn't be behind a paywall.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:32 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

The whole thing should be available for all to watch, Its the owners of the club. I always support iFollow but this is one interview that shouldn't be behind a paywall.

in fact, you will be able to watch all of it on the club's social media, over the coming couple of days
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:45 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

in fact, you will be able to watch all of it on the club's social media, over the coming couple of days

It's a good system. Pay extra and get to see the videos first, or see them later for free. Remember the old days when you had to wait for the Chad to be published before finding out anything at all? And you had to pay, and the only comment you could make was via a letter in next week's edition! We've come a long way since then.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:51 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Aim for this season: "let's do better than last season!".

Love this. That shows they’ve learnt from putting unnecessary pressure on the manager by saying we want to smash the league. Plus it lowers everyone’s expectations (well nearly everyone!) so when fans do get back in they (hopefully) won’t put any extra pressure on the team.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:33 pm

I am perhaps on my own here and I do hope I am wrong, but all the signals appear to me to point to a slow, but inevitable exit from the club for the Radfords. Sometimes other things in life are just more important, they have done a wonderful job for the club and words cannot express what they have done for us, but I suspect the last few weeks will be looked back upon as the beginning of the end.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:57 am

Rob wrote:I am perhaps on my own here and I do hope I am wrong, but all the signals appear to me to point to a slow, but inevitable exit from the club for the Radfords. Sometimes other things in life are just more important, they have done a wonderful job for the club and words cannot express what they have done for us, but I suspect the last few weeks will be looked back upon as the beginning of the end.

Or they just want someone to run the club for them while they in portugal.

At a fans forum a year or two back now they said something along the lines of "they want there kids to enjoy running MTFC when they're older". I genuinely believe that they arnt going anywhere for a long long time.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:18 am

Plenty to do to really progress t'club. We are back in the FL thanks to them but the tenure in the FL hasn't moved on at all. The town in general still look at MTFC with no interest, 'oh they've bottled it/lost again, I'm not suprised.'
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:26 am

The comment I picked up on was about IFollow. With away passes, after the first 500 have been sold, we receive 100% pf the money. Do we get a percentage from the first 500? So come on you Staggies, especially those that cannot get to away matches, get those passes bought.
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:48 am

Spiritater wrote:Plenty to do to really progress t'club. We are back in the FL thanks to them but the tenure in the FL hasn't moved on at all. The town in general still look at MTFC with no interest, 'oh they've bottled it/lost again, I'm not suprised.'

The avearage attendance at Field Mill is probably double what it was when they arrived, and crowfs held up pretty well last season considering how dreadful the product was on the pitch.

I'd say the town is far more engaged with the club now than it has been in the last 40 years.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stephen » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:09 am

Sneag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Plenty to do to really progress t'club. We are back in the FL thanks to them but the tenure in the FL hasn't moved on at all. The town in general still look at MTFC with no interest, 'oh they've bottled it/lost again, I'm not suprised.'

The avearage attendance at Field Mill is probably double what it was when they arrived, and crowfs held up pretty well last season considering how dreadful the product was on the pitch.

I'd say the town is far more engaged with the club now than it has been in the last 40 years.

I wouldbt say 40 years, our promotion season 01/02 we used to always hit around the 5,000 mark
Stephen
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:19 am

Rob wrote:I am perhaps on my own here and I do hope I am wrong, but all the signals appear to me to point to a slow, but inevitable exit from the club for the Radfords. Sometimes other things in life are just more important, they have done a wonderful job for the club and words cannot express what they have done for us, but I suspect the last few weeks will be looked back upon as the beginning of the end.

With the imminent travel restrictions to Portugal and the fact that they have to spend a lot of time out of the country, you'd expect them to appoint someone else to look after club affairs. Somebody who can actually attend Field Mill on a regular basis. I can't read much else into it.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:04 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:44 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Brilliant! thank you
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:01 am

Stephen wrote:
Sneag wrote:

I wouldbt say 40 years, our promotion season 01/02 we used to always hit around the 5,000 mark

Temporary three season blip thanks to Haslam's asset stripping mentality. Under the Radfords crowd growth has been slower but sustained.

It will be interesting to see what crowds are like generally in the 21/22 season, when fans finally have full access to grounds after a year of streaming games being the norm.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:42 am

I had heard a rumour resurfacing that they wanted away, again.

I do hope they stay. But as much as we have to thank them for there's plenty more to do.

We're still a bottom half L2 club with a 3 sided stadium. I thought they'd have got us further than they have by now since we've been out the conference for nearly 10 years.

However I also hope they pass on the club before it gets stale or starts to go backwards. 8 years back in the FL, 2 flirtations with relegation and 1 failed playoff campaign isn't a great return for their investment to date.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:56 am

I do find it ironic that they're asking us to pay that £10, and then they fly back to their millionaire villa in Portugal.
I do hope they haven't had to self isolate either with Covid restrictions in place.
Look at John's face when he says it's great to be back in Mansfield, wind's howling, cloudy overcast, or in Portugal, sun sea and beaches, hummmm.
Funny that our last two owners both end up in the Algarve.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:03 am

1970Stag wrote:I do find it ironic that they're asking us to pay that £10, and then they fly back to their millionaire villa in Portugal.
I do hope they haven't had to self isolate either with Covid restrictions in place.
Look at John's face when he says it's great to be back in Mansfield, wind's howling, cloudy overcast, or in Portugal, sun sea and beaches, hummmm.

Hope your just fishing....
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:34 am

1970Stag wrote:I do find it ironic that they're asking us to pay that £10, and then they fly back to their millionaire villa in Portugal.

someone's jealous

or just being a dick
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Bros wrote:The comment I picked up on was about IFollow. With away passes, after the first 500 have been sold, we receive 100% pf the money. Do we get a percentage from the first 500? So come on you Staggies, especially those that cannot get to away matches, get those passes bought.

The first 500 away ticket money goes to the home side. The 500 figure was because the average away attendance last season was about 500 which the home side got the money last season.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:00 pm

part time pete wrote:
Bros wrote:The comment I picked up on was about IFollow. With away passes, after the first 500 have been sold, we receive 100% pf the money. Do we get a percentage from the first 500? So come on you Staggies, especially those that cannot get to away matches, get those passes bought.

The first 500 away ticket money goes to the home side. The 500 figure was because the average away attendance last season was about 500 which the home side got the money last season.

There is clearly an obvious flaw in the mechanism, the average attendance of 500 equating to 500 pass sales therefore assumes each one of those travelling fans belong to a single household when this is clearly not the case.

You will get single travellers but also families travelling - assuming the average is 2 fans per household this means the 500 average will account for 250 match pass sales (assuming they all purchase one) There will be those who don't travel who will be interested in buying one but the number of fans needing to purchase before the threshold is broken is clearly a lot higher that what appears on face value.

I'm sure it will get off to a great start, we've all missed our team playing but it's going to need a significant improvement on last season to maintain high levels of match pass sales come November / January onwards if we are in a relegation battle.

Either way i'll be buying one but would make interesting reading if they ever release the number of sales over the period its operational.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:13 pm

part time pete wrote:

Thanks for the info
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum