{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lillywhite's scorethread sponsored by Caribou Cola.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lillywhite's scorethread sponsored by Caribou Cola.

Postby James » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:13 pm

We’ve played a very good Championship side and did. okay. Defensively not great but they had players up top with far better movement than we’ll ever face in our league. Came at completely the wrong time. Let’s move on.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:37 pm

I have watched Preston play Salford City, Tranmere Rovers and the Stags in the last couple of weeks. Salford and Tranmere did not look great but our defending today was the worst of all three League 2 sides. Defend like that in league games and we will be bottom half. It is fairly basic stuff and as GC said it is a massive wake up call. He now knows he needs to work on his defence like mad for the next two weeks.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:50 pm

James wrote:We’ve played a very good Championship side and did. okay. Defensively not great but they had players up top with far better movement than we’ll ever face in our league. Came at completely the wrong time. Let’s move on.

We lost 4-0 at ease.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:43 pm

James wrote:We’ve played a very good Championship side and did. okay. Defensively not great but they had players up top with far better movement than we’ll ever face in our league. Came at completely the wrong time. Let’s move on.

It's early days and we need to put this defeat into perspective. The game came too soon against a side two devisions higher.

I don't think we can say we did ok. Quite clearly we didn't as we conceded four goals and didn't have a single shot on target. Yes, we gave 100% and were committed, however that alone doesn't win football matches.

A lot of work needs to be done in the next two weeks ahead of the first league game.
As well as 100% commitment we need better defending and shots on target.

As someone has already said GC needs to use this as a wake up call.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:45 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

We lost 4-0 at ease.

To a very good championship side :lol:

And with the 100% comments (not aimed at you). 100% is what we should get from the players at a minimum imo. They're well paid and there's no excuse for them to not put in a full shift every Saturday
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:11 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:It was far from a decent showing, but it certainly wasn't as poor as many on here would make us believe. I also don't agree that they didn't give it a 100%. I saw 11 committed Mansfield players outclassed and outplayed by a Championship team who will be aiming for the Premier League this season.

Summed up in a nutshell well said
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby daddycool » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:18 am

Big difference now in league standards , if Preston Draw Liverpool away next round you would expect them to lose 4-0
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:47 am

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: for Sneag's tenure of the fred.
Next!
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:52 am

Spiritater wrote::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: for Sneag's tenure of the fred.
Next!

No one is gonna top that for longevity. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:53 am

Need to sort that defence out, they were all over the place, the goals were shocking, espeiclalt
The first one, centre halves just seemed too high up and out of position all the time. I also worry that our midfield don’t have the legs, we’ll see.

Positives is the rwb, our best player by far.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:15 am

I think our defence has been infected by that mutant algorithm that is going around causing havoc. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:29 am

I see CJ Hamilton played the full 90 minutes for Blackpool in the 0-0 draw at Stoke City. He had a shot saved early on and should have scored with a header. He also scored his penalty in the shoot out which Blackpool lost. Sam Clucas scored his penalty for Stoke.

I don't know if John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood was in the ground at Stevenage because somebody kept ringing a bell every time Portsmouth scored.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:45 am

Sneag wrote:
Spiritater wrote::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: for Sneag's tenure of the fred.
Next!

No one is gonna top that for longevity. :lol:

:) I think to be fair to Sneag we should give him his chance to start the new league season proper.

:D Like the team getting minutes on the board and avoiding injury Sneag as been fine tuning his talent for when the new season starts.

;) ;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:00 am

lifestags wrote:Need to sort that defence out, they were all over the place, the goals were shocking, espeiclalt
The first one, centre halves just seemed too high up and out of position all the time. I also worry that our midfield don’t have the legs, we’ll see.

Positives is the rwb, our best player by far.

Negative, the LWB was shocking. He seems to think when he's in that position he has hardly any defensive responsibilities, when he does it was half hearted dangle ya leg out defending!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:36 am

I wasn’t too concerned from what I saw, apart from the mad 15 minute spell after conceding the first goal we gave a good account of ourselves. We started very brightly and I think against L2 opposition we would have created more chances. The fact is Preston are a class above and have a crispness and sharpness to their passing that we won’t come up against.

It was disappointing to see us crumble after the first goal as it was against the run of play. It’s been a factor of our play last season to chase games after conceding and end up with high scoring games. I think the defence looked more assured with O’Driscoll in there who seemed to be more commanding and rallying the back line.

Overall with the squad turnover I expect us to make a disjointed start to the season. I saw glimpses of play where we caused problems and with a bit more sharpness and organisation we will be a vast improvement on last season.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:42 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I see CJ Hamilton played the full 90 minutes for Blackpool in the 0-0 draw at Stoke City. He had a shot saved early on and should have scored with a header. He also scored his penalty in the shoot out which Blackpool lost. Sam Clucas scored his penalty for Stoke.

I don't know if John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood was in the ground at Stevenage because somebody kept ringing a bell every time Portsmouth scored.

Read an article about John Westwood a few years back.
https://www.google.com/search?q=john+we ... A9muz88lCM

Work and football seem different people
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:40 pm

The view of Preston centre half, Paul Huntington who thought the Stags provided a different type of opposition.

Speaking to iFollow PNE post-match, Huntington admitted that early chance provided a scare, as the visitors pressed high early on, but he was always confident that they could surpass that early challenge. “First 20 minutes we didn’t start particularly great, took a little bit to get into the game, but then when we scored the first goal, I think we were dominant and could have won by a few more goals really. We were coming up against a different formation that they played today with two strikers and we had to work hard that first 20 to 30 minutes and then we managed to get a foothold in the game, get goals and I felt we could have won by more in the end.

“As in any game, there’s no easy games, they’ve come here and they were pressing really high for that first 20 minutes. In the back of my mind I was thinking that if they’re doing it for 20, 30 minutes, they won’t be able to sustain it for 90 minutes and we managed to play through them on quite a few occasions. We came up against a different type of opposition. We played Tranmere the other day who are in Mansfield’s league and they sat in. It’s quite brave, quite bold to do that coming away to a Championship side, but maybe they thought that was their best way of attack. They created a good chance early on and then we got a foothold in the game, we settled down a bit and I thought we controlled it and we had some nice passages of play.”

https://www.pnefc.net/news/2020/august/ ... pposition/?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:58 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think our defence has been infected by that mutant algorithm that is going around causing havoc. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Post of the thread!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:05 pm

League Cup 1st Round

HT: Derby County 0 Barrow 0

Barrow have done what the Stags should have done in the first half at Deepdale and sat back and parked the bus. They have only had 31% possession but they are looking comfortable on the ball and have had the two best chances to score. Dior Angus was clean through on goal but his final touch took him too close to the keeper and his shot was saved. Jack Hindle then seized on a terrible back pass and chipped the ball over the keeper but wide of the post.

Barrow's first game in the League Cup for 49 years.

Barrow
Joel Dixon
James Jones, Matthew Platt, Kgosi Nthle
Connor Brown, Lewis Hardcastle, Mike Jones, Tom Beadlong, Josh Kay
Jack Hindle, Dior Angus
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:League Cup 1st Round

HT: Derby County 0 Barrow 0

Barrow have done what the Stags should have done in the first half at Deepdale and sat back and parked the bus. They have only had 31% possession but they are looking comfortable on the ball and have had the two best chances to score. Dior Angus was clean through on goal but his final touch took him too close to the keeper and his shot was saved. Jack Hindle then seized on a terrible back pass and chipped the ball over the keeper but wide of the post.

Barrow's first game in the League Cup for 49 years.

Barrow
Josh Dixon
James Jones, Matthew Platt, Kgosi Nthle
Connor Brown, Lewis Hardcastle, Mike Jones, Tom Beadlong, Josh Kay
Jack Hindle, Dior Angus

Preston did what Derby haven't and moved the opposition defence around with rapid passing and movement off the ball. Barrow are doing very well, but Derby are helping them.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:53 pm

FT: Derby County 0 Barrow 0

Excellent defensive performance by Barrow and they had good chances to score. Barrow deserved the draw and probably should have won.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:07 pm

Barrow lose 3-2 on penalties after having the advantage of taking the first penalty. Joel Dixon also saved two penalties to keep them in the shoot out.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:17 pm

Hayden White not in squad for Walsall today
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:59 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Hayden White not in squad for Walsall today

They'll want to get used to that quickly :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Matt Penney on as a sub for Sheffield Wednesday against Walsall. A fairly dull game but Walsall holding their own against a Championship side.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum