{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lillywhite's scorethread sponsored by Caribou Cola.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lillywhite's scorethread sponsored by Caribou Cola.

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:55 pm

The One wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Meanwhile relegated Stevenage are beating Pompey 3.1

Except they did not get relegated.

Well done Sherlock. Had your 3 Weetabix today.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:55 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I thought we were ok for most of the game. Defensively disorganised though and that led to our problems.

I'm not sure if it was a deliberate tactic or not, but a few times one of our centre backs ran into the midfield to press the ball, leaving a big space behind them. Because they were too good in possession they played around us and we looked exposed over and over again.

If it is a deliberate tactic then we need to either sharpen up with it or hope that less technical teams in our division are not good enough to play around it.

I'm sure that the manager will have a whole list of things to work on. I think that they worked hard enough but obviously they need organising.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:58 pm

spanishstag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:never the less, professional footballers are expected to give 100% every time they play, that’s the core value of this manager, he’s told us that every interview
only question at this stage then is ;
did they ?

Is this for real yorkie ,are you saying they are not giving 100% ,go sit with the numptys

i didn’t watch it youth was driving home from holiday so cannot comment on something i didn’t see, i was asking the question, not sure that’s a numpty sitting reason is it ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:01 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
The One wrote:

No I had 4, aids my memory.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:04 pm

The One wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
The One wrote:

No I had 4, aids my memory.

4 more than our players had today! Stevenage lost on pens anyway.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:18 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:never the less, professional footballers are expected to give 100% every time they play, that’s the core value of this manager, he’s told us that every interview. Only question at this stage then is did they ?

The players gave 100% Dave as we tried to play at a high tempo throughout the game. We were doing well and could have been 1-0 up when Andy Cook's shot rebounded back off the post but then we conceded a very bad goal. It was just a long punt downfield by the Preston keeper which Farrend Rawson should have headed away but I think it came off Sean Maguire's back and the ball went out to Tom Barkhuizen on the right and he fired in from the edge of the area. Ryan Sweeney should have done better blocking the shot and Mal Benning was nowhere in sight. Defensively we then fell apart like in the 2nd half against Rotherham last Saturday and conceded two more very sloppy goals. We gave it a go in the 2nd half but didn't learn the lesson of letting Mal Benning charge forward and leaving Tom Barkhuizen with loads of space behind him and he crossed for Josh Harrop to make it 4-0. We kept going but looked a little ragged at times.

I would say that some players were not up to full match fitness such as James Perch or off the pace like George Maris, Farrend Rawson and Ryan Sweeney. I would have subbed James Perch and either Farrend Rawson or Rollin Menayese at half time.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:21 pm

I didn't expect to get a result today.. I just expected the Preston players to have felt that they had to work bloody hard for their win...
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby KJW STAG » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:54 pm

like he said in his preview before the game ,it was one he really did not need at this moment.
Be pretty sure that even with the defeat is main objective was to get out this game injury free and to add minutes for players fitness.
Last edited by KJW STAG on Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:never the less, professional footballers are expected to give 100% every time they play, that’s the core value of this manager, he’s told us that every interview. Only question at this stage then is did they ?

The players gave 100% Dave as we tried to play at a high tempo throughout the game. We were doing well and could have been 1-0 up when Andy Cook's shot rebounded back off the post but then we conceded a very bad goal. It was just a long punt downfield by the Preston keeper which Farrend Rawson should have headed away but I think it came off Sean Maguire's back and the ball went out to Tom Barkhuizen on the right and he fired in from the edge of the area. Ryan Sweeney should have done better blocking the shot and Mal Benning was nowhere in sight. Defensively we then fell apart like in the 2nd half against Rotherham last Saturday and conceded two more very sloppy goals. We gave it a go in the 2nd half but didn't learn the lesson of letting Mal Benning charge forward and leaving Tom Barkhuizen with loads of space behind him and he crossed for Josh Harrop to make it 4-0. We kept going but looked a little ragged at times.

I would say that some players were not up to full match fitness such as James Perch or off the pace like George Maris, Farrend Rawson and Ryan Sweeney. I would have subbed James Perch and either Farrend Rawson or Rollin Menayese at half time.

cheers Darren we move on
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Not one shot on target.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:20 pm

7 goals conceded in 2 games with nothing in the net for us is not looking good and feel we are in for an average season but we have to keep the faith and back GC
Onwards and hopefully upwards no excuses for CG this season !!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:21 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Not one shot on target.

Correct they could have put a cone in net and it wouldn’t have been troubled
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:22 pm

It was far from a decent showing, but it certainly wasn't as poor as many on here would make us believe. I also don't agree that they didn't give it a 100%. I saw 11 committed Mansfield players outclassed and outplayed by a Championship team who will be aiming for the Premier League this season.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:26 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:It was far from a decent showing, but it certainly wasn't as poor as many on here would make us believe. I also don't agree that they didn't give it a 100%. I saw 11 committed Mansfield players outclassed and outplayed by a Championship team who will be aiming for the Premier League this season.

You'd think we've been tanked by Macclesfield with some of the comments
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:It was far from a decent showing, but it certainly wasn't as poor as many on here would make us believe. I also don't agree that they didn't give it a 100%. I saw 11 committed Mansfield players outclassed and outplayed by a Championship team who will be aiming for the Premier League this season.

Definitely. Yes a loss is never good, but it seems Stagsnet has lost very ounce of perspective needed to be applied to today's defeat.

I took many positives from today. Even when Preston made it look like a training session with their 20+ passes, we harried and chased and never really let them make much of it. We suffered when Preston were too quick in their attack. Only a handful of L2 teams will have that in them next season. Lots of lessons learned across all areas of the pitch. We move on.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:38 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:2 weeks to get a disorganized rabble into a defence. Think we can do it?
No, me neither!

Think GC needs to get off to a flyer or he’s going to be under pressure

Only from dickheads

And your user name is ?? Unlike most I tend to judge a manager on his ability at getting results and not by the nonsensical drivel they spout in press conferences..

First competitive game for how long? In preseason and you’re stamping your feet ?

Calm your tits Hondo.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:38 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Definitely. Yes a loss is never good, but it seems Stagsnet has lost very ounce of perspective needed to be applied to today's defeat.

I took many positives from today. Even when Preston made it look like a training session with their 20+ passes, we harried and chased and never really let them make much of it. We suffered when Preston were too quick in their attack. Only a handful of L2 teams will have that in them next season. Lots of lessons learned across all areas of the pitch. We move on.

Good post. GC will learn a lot more from today about his players than beating a non league team. It'll be good to try and get a few more games in before the start of the season though and hopefully get some morale in the boys
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:41 pm

tillydog123 wrote:7 goals conceded in 2 games with nothing in the net for us is not looking good and feel we are in for an average season but we have to keep the faith and back GC
Onwards and hopefully upwards no excuses for CG this season !!

No excuses? What about it's a totally new squad, coronavirus lockdown and social distancing, a salary cap that may well be masking the boards desire to reduce playing budget, the average age of the squad reducing... To name a few.

I don't think GC will hide behind any of these excuses, but you have to give him some slack there has been a lot of upheaval.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Not one shot on target.

Apart from Cooks effort that hit the inside of the post, on another day that would have bounced in.

Cook surprised me today with his work rate.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:50 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:2 weeks to get a disorganized rabble into a defence. Think we can do it?
No, me neither!

Think GC needs to get off to a flyer or he’s going to be under pressure

Only from dickheads

And your user name is ?? Unlike most I tend to judge a manager on his ability at getting results and not by the nonsensical drivel they spout in press conferences..

First competitive game for how long? In preseason and you’re stamping your feet ?

Calm your tits Hondo.

This is a open forum for fans views is it not ? Brave little soldier
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:13 pm

Did I say you weren’t entitled to an opinion ?

I’m just laughing at it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:16 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Good post. GC will learn a lot more from today about his players than beating a non league team. It'll be good to try and get a few more games in before the start of the season though and hopefully get some morale in the boys

I thought that there were a small number of occasions when we looked at sixes and seven in the defence but these tended to come when their midfield had pushed and pulled us out of shape. The corner was an early season abomination which cannot happen again. We had two efforts on goal which is not good enough but again it was early doors. Danny looked out of comfort zone against such quality centre halves but put in a good shift. Cook looked fit and up for it. He should have scored.
It was good to see the two young come on lads upfront and more importantly, no injuries for anyone.

No-one wanted this tie, it was the wrong opponents at the wrong time and we came out of it needing a morale boosting clean sheet with a few goals upfront.

Bluntly, we got what we expected from this game and move on with an eye on Sept 12th
The players look fit, pressed well, we didn't see ridiculous
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby G B » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:40 pm

A little perspective required as per normal it seems.
A win in 2 weeks time and most on here will be marking us down as promotion candidates. A defeat and suicide will be on the cards.
Nothing changes.
G B
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:43 pm

G B wrote:A little perspective required as per normal it seems.
A win in 2 weeks time and most on here will be marking us down as promotion candidates. A defeat and suicide will be on the cards.
Nothing changes.

Loss = GC out

Draw = Give GC time

Win = 5 year contract for GC

You know it's coming.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:52 pm

The match looked exactly like what it was. A league two side who have not played a competitive game for almost 6 months against a top championship team who last played around 5 weeks ago. We could not possibly expect anything except a heavy defeat and it could have been much worse.

I was impressed with some aspects of our play and pleasantly surprised at the number of headers Cook won against good class centre halves. If he can do that against Preston he will be a big asset against league 2 opposition and hopefully Maynard or some of the midfielders will get onto his flick ons.

We will do ok against league2 teams and will only improve as we go. Let’s just stay calm and get behind the team.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum