{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Macclesfield ... now wound up

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Macclesfield Penalty

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:09 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I think the points per game calculation adversely affecting the points they have been deducted is relevant.

How is PPG calculated when teams have points deducted?. If for example Macclesfield had 12 points deducted over a season of 46 games then if the season is cut short by a quarter do they get deducted only75% of 12 ie 9 poonts or the full 12. I would imagine it would only be 9?

Surely they reinstate those points. Work out PPG and then deduct the points they have been deducted.

I've no idea where that leaves them. Probably 3rd bottom.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:49 pm

Macclesfield Town have released a statement saying they’ve provided a business plan to the EFL. This was a condition of the last charge from independent panel.

“The Club believe that the aforementioned plan is robust and fully complies with it's set objectives.”
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Macclesfield Town have released a statement saying they’ve provided a business plan to the EFL. This was a condition of the last charge from independent panel.

“The Club believe that the aforementioned plan is robust and fully complies with it's set objectives.”

The EFL have made such a cackhanded deal of this.

I wonder if they’ll appeal against the 12 point deduction for Sheffield Wednesday! And why is that next season as opposed to Wigan’s this season? Appreciate slightly different context but not too different.

And despite the owner of macc being a dick how do they suppose they’ll be able to provide a plan for business next season when the government dont know what they’re doing tomorrow? Fans were going to be allowed back in October time, will this still happen?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:01 am

Macclesfield only have 2 players under contract so I imagine this helps their business plan! They will probably sign players on month to month (or even week to week) contracts.

Joe Ironside has joined Kidderminster Harriers in National League North

Macclesfield Town (2 Players Under Contract, 5 In Negotiations and 10 Released)
Under Contract (Extensions Activated): Fiacre Kelleher and Fraser Horsfall
In Negotiations: David Fitzpatrick, Harry Hamblin, Joe Ironside, Jak McCourt, Ben Tollitt
Released: Jacob Blyth, Nathan Cameron, Reice Charles-Cook, Adam Dawson, Arthur Gnahoua, James Pearson, Michael Rose, Ben Stephens, Donovan Wilson, Peter Vincenti
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:10 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Macclesfield only have 2 players under contract so I imagine this helps their business plan! They will probably sign players on month to month (or even week to week) contracts.

Joe Ironside has joined Kidderminster Harriers in National League North

Macclesfield Town (2 Players Under Contract, 5 In Negotiations and 10 Released)
Under Contract (Extensions Activated): Fiacre Kelleher and Fraser Horsfall
In Negotiations: David Fitzpatrick, Harry Hamblin, Joe Ironside, Jak McCourt, Ben Tollitt
Released: Jacob Blyth, Nathan Cameron, Reice Charles-Cook, Adam Dawson, Arthur Gnahoua, James Pearson, Michael Rose, Ben Stephens, Donovan Wilson, Peter Vincenti

Joe Ironside has signed a 2 year contract at Cambridge United !!
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Goodbye Macclesfield, Hello Stevenage

The EFL has been successful in getting Macclesfield Town rightly chucked out of the league after their appeal was upheld. Stevenage are saved. It's a shame they could not have done this at the end of the 2018-2019 season for Bury which would have meant the Stags would have been promoted to League 1.

Will County now try and argue that they should be promoted. :lol:

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/august/of ... ield-town/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Macclesfield Penalty RELEGATED

Postby london amber stag » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:19 pm

Correct decision, Stevenage remain in League Two.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:20 pm

There is justice in the world after all.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:21 pm

And as another chapter of this, the most forgettable of seasons for most clubs, farce turns to appeal to expulsion.

Is this the end of Macclesfield as a club now?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 pm

I wouldn't recommend going on Stevenage message board, fairly sure it just gave my eyes AIDS
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:46 pm

Think the signing of prosser gave the game away , again the EFL board of old farts should resign .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:05 pm

Correct call.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:12 pm

Stevenage have just signed Ben Coker and Like Prosser. I think they knew they had a good chance of staying in the league.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:00 pm

Stevenage have only just announced the news of their survival on their website

Following the outcome of the EFL’s appeal with regards to misconduct charges against Macclesfield Town, Stevenage Football Club will remain in Sky Bet League Two for the 2020/21 season. The Club’s attention now switches firmly to the beginning of the new EFL season, which begins on the weekend of 12th September 2020.

Chairman Phil Wallace said, "I can’t begin to explain how much work went into our fight to stay in the EFL. We, along with many other clubs, believed that the decision of the panel in June was unduly lenient insofar that points were not deducted simply because they would have resulted in relegation. That’s not, in our opinion, how sanctions should work - if a panel decides there should be no consequences of a points deduction, then there is no point in the sanction. The EFL obviously felt the same way and all credit to them for deciding to appeal and to state their case as the organising body.

"The episode is now closed and we look forward to the coming season. We have learnt from the mistakes made last season and hope to come back with a winning team that is exciting to watch. The support of our community has been crucial since the pandemic started and I hope that we can unite and drive the club forwards from here under Alex, Lennie and Mark."

https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2020/a ... gust-2020/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:11 pm

Macclesfield Manager, Mark Kennedy, has rejected the offer of a new contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53751248

Macclesfield have issued a vague statement about considering their options. Their fans are concerned that they cannot satisfy the membership requirements to join the National League.

"In order to move forward, the Club is currently investigating a number of avenues that are open to us. Whilst we appreciate that fans will want as much clarity as possible on such options, at this stage it would not be appropriate to divulge any specifics - but please rest assured that we are doing everything we can to ensure that we have a Club that we are all proud of. We will provide a further update as soon as we are able."

https://www.mtfc.co.uk/news/2020/august ... -decision/

I wonder if GC is still interested in Fiacre Kelleher as he may now be available for a small fee.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:10 pm

There we are then

Clubs within the EFL live in a nazi state, they’ll do whatever they want to you and you’ve no choice

Give 12 points to Wigan this season relegating then but not giving them until next season for Sheffield weds, even though the same 12 points would relegate them.

Macclesfield were hounded by the EFL and will probably go out of business now.

The same EFL who provided a fit and proper test as Wigan but then deducted points as their own system had failed.

The same EFL that had a disaster over bury, and also Bolton.

But the same EFL that isn’t quizzed by a higher body on the shambolic way the operate their leagues?

The only fit and proper test that needs conducting is over the EFL themselves, not fit for purpose
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Don't forget that the Charlton buyers have failed the fit and proper owners test that Charles Ponzi, Nick Leeson, Jordan Belfort and Frank Abagnale would have passed and they were allowed to takeover the running of Charlton in January.

You have to remember that the EFL is an owners club and they regulate themselves. They only meet two or three times a year. It's time for an Independent Football Regulator.

This is what Accrington Chairman, Andy Holt, said this time last year arguing that the EFL needs an Independent Regulator with strong powers to intervene in failing clubs.

"I think the situation is very poor. The EFL have allowed last seasons poison to ruin another season. No way on earth should an administrator start a new season, but if the EFL let them, the least they could do is make sure the club had a squad to complete fixtures. There is no defence for this because the risks were obvious. The EFL took the risk and deserve criticism.

I don’t know whether the wins by Wycombe and Wanderers and Tranmere Rovers will affect the ultimate table come May. I do know that there was a dozen teams or so fighting to avoid relegation last season. I also know Accrington's income is down having missed the first home match against Bury. Margins are close in this league. We’d be fined if we played kids. We’d have points deducted if we failed to complete fixtures. The EFL have not concluded the outcome for Bolton for missing a fixture last season yet. This should have been concluded either way before the start of this season.

We need a cold dose of reality. It isn’t only Bolton and Bury struggling to pay wages. We have worked damned hard to get
Accrington on its feet in spite of the regulators. If we go down, losing £750k income, on goal difference to Mark Palios' excellent Tranmere then I’ll be furious. The poison they’ve allowed would have killed us.

The EFL have:
- failed on financial distribution
- failed on financial regulation
- failed as a competition owner
- failed to keep on the shirt tails of the premier league on income leading to Championship sides selling stadia.
- failed to properly consult properly on the Sky TV deal which nearly led to break up of the EFL
- failed supporters by ramming B teams into our competitions.
- failed clubs by allowing and trumpeting bad owners to run club.

Yes it’s a great organisation and does a great job in many instances but it cannot defend itself on the above. For me, they can please themselves now. I have debated and argued these point for years, they don’t listen. They don’t understand how battered their image is.

Clubs are in trouble on their watch. All we have to do is ensure the season can start and finish with 72 teams. We couldn’t even do that. By any measure we have failed. It’s as simple as that."
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:58 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Don't forget that the Charlton buyers have failed the fit and proper owners test that Charles Ponzi, Nick Leeson, Jordan Belfort and Frank Abagnale would have passed and they were allowed to takeover the running of Charlton in January.

You have to remember that the EFL is an owners club and they regulate themselves. It's time for an Independent Football Regulator.

This is what Accrington Chairman, Andy Holt, said this time last year arguing that the EFL needs an Independent Regulator with strong powers to intervene in failing clubs.

"I think the situation is very poor. The EFL have allowed last seasons poison to ruin another season. No way on earth should an administrator start a new season, but if the EFL let them, the least they could do is make sure the club had a squad to complete fixtures. There is no defence for this because the risks were obvious. The EFL took the risk and deserve criticism.

I don’t know whether the wins by Wycombe and Wanderers and Tranmere Rovers will affect the ultimate table come May. I do know that there was a dozen teams or so fighting to avoid relegation last season. I also know Accrington's income is down having missed the first home match against Bury. Margins are close in this league. We’d be fined if we played kids. We’d have points deducted if we failed to complete fixtures. The EFL have not concluded the outcome for Bolton for missing a fixture last season yet. This should have been concluded either way before the start of this season.

We need a cold dose of reality. It isn’t only Bolton and Bury struggling to pay wages. We have worked damned hard to get
Accrington on its feet in spite of the regulators. If we go down, losing £750k income, on goal difference to Mark Palios' excellent Tranmere then I’ll be furious. The poison they’ve allowed would have killed us.

The EFL have:
- failed to keep on the shirt tails of the premier league on income leading to Championship sides selling stadia.
- failed to properly consult properly on the Sky TV deal which nearly led to break up of the EFL

Yes it’s a great organisation and does a great job in many instances but it cannot defend itself on the above. For me, they can please themselves now. I have debated and argued these point for years, they don’t listen. They don’t understand how battered their image is.

Clubs are in trouble on their watch. All we have to do is ensure the season can start and finish with 72 teams. We couldn’t even do that. By any measure we have failed. It’s as simple as that."

It’s a very valid point. It’s like going to a council to contest a parking fine. Is going to the same body that issued you with the fine to contest it democratic? Is it raspberry.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:08 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Don't forget that the Charlton buyers have failed the fit and proper owners test that Charles Ponzi, Nick Leeson, Jordan Belfort and Frank Abagnale would have passed and they were allowed to takeover the running of Charlton in January.

You have to remember that the EFL is an owners club and they regulate themselves. They only meet two or three times a year. It's time for an Independent Football Regulator.

The EFL have:

Frank Abagnale, useless at finances though brilliant at knock knock jokes.

For me the rot really took hold when Portsmouth were advanced their tv money to ensure they could finish the season off and not ruin the integrity of the Premier League leaving the EFL to manage the mess. The Premier League does not care about the EFL and the club owners of the EFL Have proved themselves not fit for purpose in self regulating the EFL.

Football these days, at the professional level, is a business. Would it be too much to ask for the 72 chairman, whom purport to be business men to actually run the EFL as a functioning business?

I think it may well be.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:34 pm

Macclesfield are asking the EFL for a reprieve as there is no guarantee that the National League will start next season.

They also mention that another League 2 club failed to pay wages on time and no sanctions were imposed. Oldham Athletic?

"As part of the Club's ongoing fight to retain our EFL status, we advised yesterday that one element of concern to us is the fact that there appears to be no guarantee of when the 2020/21 National League season will commence.

In particular and having taken advice, it is the Club’s strong view that the following Regulation should be invoked by the EFL -

7 . Application for and Relegation from Membership

7.7 At the end of each Season the Clubs occupying the bottom two places of League Two shall, in accordance with the Articles of Association and these Regulations, cease to be members of The League and join the National League, save as otherwise provided in Regulations, 7.7A to 7.7C, 10 and 11.

7.7A The Board shall have the power, exercisable at any time, to reprieve the one Club that would otherwise cease to be a member of the League and join the National League at the end of Season 2019/20 where the National League is unable to guarantee to the Board’s satisfaction that competitive fixtures in the National League National Division will commence within a reasonable period of time. In determining whether to exercise that power, the Board will take into account the decisions the League has taken to that date in relation to commencement of League Two fixtures in Season 2020/21.

7.7B Where the exercise of the power set out in Regulation 7.7A would, taking into account any other movement of Clubs (or clubs) as might otherwise be provided for by these Regulations, will result in the EFL having more than 72 Member Clubs, the power shall not be capable of being exercised without the approval of Clubs to the allotment of any additional share in accordance with Article 3.3.

7.7C Where the Board exercises the power to reprieve as set out in Regulation 7.7A, at the end of Season 2020/21 only, the number of Clubs that shall cease to be members of The League and join the National League shall be such number as is required to restore the number of Clubs in League Two to 24, and Regulation 7.7 shall be modified accordingly.

The Club has therefore asked the EFL to confirm that it has a ‘guarantee’ from the National League as to the date upon which competitive League fixtures will commence and noting that the National League usually commences either before the EFL season or on a corresponding date, why they consider any start date other than this to be ‘reasonable’. In our view, this is not within a reasonable timeframe as the absolute best-case situation ahead of the 2020/21 campaign is that the National League will start four weeks after the EFL. We therefore believe that there is sufficient evidence for Regulation 7.7 to be invoked and the Club reprieved from relegation in line with the rationale for this Regulation amendment back in June 2019.

The Club understands that the EFL Board will be meeting tomorrow to make a decision on our request and we will provide a further update as soon as we are able.

In addition to this, we hope that the EFL Board will be making a statement regarding the news that has emerged today which suggests a fellow League Two member has been late or has not paid player wages for a substantial part of the 2019/20 season. It was alleged that the relevant Club has not been sanctioned for this - despite the EFL having knowledge of these Regulatory breaches.

https://www.mtfc.co.uk/news/2020/august ... fl-update/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:21 am

25 clubs in league 2 this season then?

If this happens it will make the relegation scrap interesting as 3 will go down unless someone goes bust.

That also gives a problem to the national league as they will either have to run a club short this year or sort numbers out next year if three go down. Is it possible they will solve this by relegating the bottom club in 20/21 straight into national league north/south?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:12 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Stevenage have just signed Ben Coker and Like Prosser. I think they knew they had a good chance of staying in the league.

As Exagent said, they knew they would stay up.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:34 pm

Relegation upheld. Macc Town gone.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Source BBC Sport https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53792727

Macclesfield Town: Relegation to National League confirmed as EFL rejects reprieve request

The English Football League has turned down Macclesfield's request to allow them to retain their League Two status.

The Silkmen were demoted to 24th spot in last season's table earlier this month after the EFL won its appeal against a points deduction.

Macclesfield subsequently asked for a reprieve, in line with EFL regulations approved by clubs in June.

They argued that there "appeared to be no guarantee" when the next National League season would commence.

The regulation states that if no date is in place for the start of the 2020-21 National League season, then the club finishing bottom of League Two could be reprieved by the EFL board.

However, the EFL said in a statement on Monday: "The National League informed its clubs on 27 July 2020 of its intention to commence season 2020-21 on 3 October 2020 and has provided the EFL with further information alongside confirming the details relating to how it intends to do so in compliance with all relevant government guidance.

"The board is satisfied that competitive fixtures in the National League will commence within a reasonable period of time and that it should not utilise its power to reprieve.

"As a result, Macclesfield Town, the 24th-placed team in League Two are relegated from the EFL."

After clubs had voted to end the League Two season early, Macclesfield appeared to have escaped relegation in June when they were docked two points, with four suspended, for breaches of regulations relating to payment of wages.

That decision left them above Stevenage in the table, but the outcome of the appeal meant the Silkmen dropped to the foot of the table, having been deducted a total of 17 points over the course of the 2019-20 season, across three disciplinary cases.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:55 pm

Oldham need looking at immediately.
Conker
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum