{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan interview Thu 23 Jul

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Coughlan interview Thu 23 Jul

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:44 pm

16 minute interview now available on iFollow Stags
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Coughlan interview Thu 23 Jul

Postby spanishstag » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:48 pm

Really good interview ,honest and to the point ,says another centre half on his wishlist ,the squad will be cheaper this season ,due to corona as will most others wants to have a look at some young uns and he wants to build HIS team
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:09 pm

It is free to view if you have an account, but here’s a summary for those who don’t have access :

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Younger squad and the clubs overheads reduced says to me don’t expect any wow signings .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:37 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Younger squad and the clubs overheads reduced says to me don’t expect any wow signings .

We wouldn’t of gone for Doyle if we wasn’t after wow signings.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:40 pm

lifestags wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:Younger squad and the clubs overheads reduced says to me don’t expect any wow signings .

We wouldn’t of gone for Doyle if we wasn’t after wow signings.

But did we go for Doyle ?? We have 4 strikers on the books as per GC interview
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:46 pm

Yeah we definitely wanted him, Carolyn put something on Insta about it. To me it sounds like GC wants Cook off the books as well.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:52 pm

I just think ,he wants to create his own team ,he isn,t a flash type ,and i think he knows the value of money ,he wont pay over the odds to maynard or anyone else ,im comfortable with that
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:06 pm

You really are a cheery fellow aren't you
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:40 pm

here's 10 minutes of the 16 minute interview

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:here's 10 minutes of the 16 minute interview

Thank you for that
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 pm

lifestags wrote:Yeah we definitely wanted him, Carolyn put something on Insta about it. To me it sounds like GC wants Cook off the books as well.

When I asked her she said "we would love him to be a stag" doesn't mean we actually went for him, probably out of the wage threshold for the season.
Also been stated agents use Mansfield amount other clubs fake interest as a way to drive up wages... crazy but its what they do "oh he's has interested from XXXX££££" club and end up getting more money for them.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:03 pm

Why do you think GC doesn't want Cook from his interview. He names Cook as one of the 4 strikers?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
lifestags wrote:Yeah we definitely wanted him, Carolyn put something on Insta about it. To me it sounds like GC wants Cook off the books as well.

When I asked her she said "we would love him to be a stag" doesn't mean we actually went for him, probably out of the wage threshold for the season.
Also been stated agents use Mansfield amount other clubs fake interest as a way to drive up wages... crazy but its what they do "oh he's has interested from XXXX££££" club and end up getting more money for them.

Someone asked her a few weeks back and she put fingers crossed emoji.

And in the answer to Cook when asked what position are priorities he replied “depends if players want to move on” cook was well known to want out in Jan, also he stated we were poor at holding the ball up last season a strength that Cook has built his career on.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:20 pm

lifestags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

And in the answer to Cook when asked what position are priorities he replied “depends if players want to move on” cook was well known to want out in Jan, also he stated we were poor at holding the ball up last season a strength that Cook has built his career on.

I tend to agree regarding Cook I think GC thought he’d be gone elsewhere but will be on a good wage here regardless if he plays or not . Having cook , Rose,Bowdery all do a similar job leaving a rookie non league Reid to hit the ground running ,
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am

A younger and cheaper squad is exactly what we need.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:18 am

The average of the most used 18 players players last season was 27.39.

Obviously there are going to be more incomings which will push this up. But the current average age of the 18 players who (in my opinion) are most likely to be in the squad is 24.33.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:19 am

Conker wrote:A younger and cheaper squad is exactly what we need.

I agree, we've chucked money at players in recent years, many of whom have failed to deliver and turned into an Anderson, ie a total waste of money. Younger and cheaper with the odd slice of experience is exactly what we now need.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:21 pm

Rob wrote:
Conker wrote:A younger and cheaper squad is exactly what we need.

I agree, we've chucked money at players in recent years, many of whom have failed to deliver and turned into an Anderson, ie a total waste of money. Younger and cheaper with the odd slice of experience is exactly what we now need.

I’d rather we spend a transfer fee on a young player with lower wages than pay what the likes of Anderson got off us, there’s exceptions though ie Maynard who was a good signing despite age and I’m sure big wages but you only want a few like that.

I really liked how he set out what was missing, pace in Reid in the striker position, somebody who can hold it up in Bowery. Obviously we’ve gotta wait and see if those players actually have them attributes but it’s a good sign.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
lifestags wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

I tend to agree regarding Cook I think GC thought he’d be gone elsewhere but will be on a good wage here regardless if he plays or not . Having cook , Rose,Bowdery all do a similar job leaving a rookie non league Reid to hit the ground running ,

I think Cook will go out on loan but much nearer to season's start, why take a player and pay him to get fit, wait until he is fit or in Cook's case, as fit as he will ever be before taking him on?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum