{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

CJ to Blackpool

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: CJ to Blackpool for £300k?

Postby Conker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Talk about OTT - I would personally rather we keep him, unless the offer was ridiculously large, but the ‘sell him and I can see which way we are going’ is such a funny thing to say.

I’ll go out on a whim here and say we will be better next season even if we sell CJ, yeah I get it on his day he is a top L2 player but no individual is so important in our squad that selling them means we will be instantly going downhill, so let’s calm down a tad!
Last edited by Conker on Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:07 pm

Tess Tickle wrote:Snap their hands off. And if that don't work snap their legs off.
Apart from a 3 month good spell a season and half ago he hasn't produced enough. The most frustrating player we have. Final ball is 90% shocking. Sorry but the amount of times his crosses don't get over the first man is criminal.

This. Sell. Sell sell.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:09 pm

geoffhill wrote:It will be impossible to replace CJ.He is the quickest player I have ever seen in a Stags shirt.Somebody mentioned Gary Ford.He was a very average footballer no comparison to CJ.Iknow he blew hot and cold but under the right coaching and care he could still fetch a lot of money.£300 k is a lot but you would need o spend far more than that to replace him.Perhaps if we sign Mclaughlin then perhaps he could be his replacement.Different type of winger but would probably fit in better in the managers style.We shall see.

I think White was quicker than CJ last season, the bloke could have won the grand national before the injury.

The point stands though, CJ is terrifyingly quick for the opposition defence, similarly i don’t understand anybody calling him a ‘flair player’
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:19 pm

This for me is quite straightforward - he has a year to go on his contract which he probably won’t sign again. His head will have already been turned.
I have nothing against CJ but purely on a business basis I would take the money .
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:39 pm

geoffhill wrote:It will be impossible to replace CJ.He is the quickest player I have ever seen in a Stags shirt.Somebody mentioned Gary Ford.He was a very average footballer no comparison to CJ.Iknow he blew hot and cold but under the right coaching and care he could still fetch a lot of money.£300 k is a lot but you would need o spend far more than that to replace him.Perhaps if we sign Mclaughlin then perhaps he could be his replacement.Different type of winger but would probably fit in better in the managers style.We shall see.

Only player I can think of to replace him is Bruno Andrade but I doubt he would leave salford. Maybe he doesn't fit into GC's plans/formation so we're cashing in on him
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:41 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Only flair player we have. Sell him and I can see which way we are going.

Could we replace his speed and skill for £300k ? I very much doubt it.

He’s not a flair player.
Well put it this way, he's the only player we have, that gets fans off their seats when he has the ball.
If he is going, they need to put a good sell on clause, as he wil progress. As did Clucas.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:43 pm

S7AGS wrote:As frustrating as CJ can be at times, he's still our most dangerous player on form and probably the quickest in the league, pace isn't easy to find in L2.
He gets a rough deal in my opinion, teams clearly see him as the danger man and pay him special attention...as he matures he'll get better at dealing with this - this next season should be the one for him to really step up.

I cant understand why any fan would think 300k is a good price? He's under contract, we need him and it would be v.expensive to replace his pace (we wouldn't be able to) so would end up weaker.

Fully agree. You won't replace him with the same potential for that money and managed the right way and played far enough forward I bet he is the one player we have that really scares the opposition!
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jimstag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:59 pm

I’d take it. I rate CJ, I think there’s a decent player there if he can find that consistency but with the market as it is we could get a decent player in on a free and have a bit of cash, like many have said I can see him getting a better offer and be gone for free next season.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:00 pm

I think in the current situation £300k is a very good offer.

I we are set for recession, will we get as much in the coming years? We either sell him now for £300k or lose him for nowt at the end of the season.

The club get £300k which would help towards covering loss of income. Its makes business sense to cash in now.

However he'd be a great player to have in our team.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:03 pm

You can have all the speed in the world but that alone doesn’t make you a good footballer, CJ would beat most defenders in a foot race but it’s what you do with the ball when you’ve won that race and that’s his downfall it’s either down to bad coaching or he doesn’t have the ability to find that final cross or ball . I’d take the money without a doubt best for the player and club .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:15 pm

I'd think we had someone lined up to replace him.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:23 pm

yorkstag wrote:This for me is quite straightforward - he has a year to go on his contract which he probably won’t sign again. His head will have already been turned.
I have nothing against CJ but purely on a business basis I would take the money .

Agreed
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:26 pm

So happy to sell CJ for brilliant 300K. He is very average though.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:53 pm

"He is the quickest player I have ever seen in a Stags shirt".

Quicker than Daley Thompson? :roll:
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:58 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:

:lol: Brilliant
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby 60+40 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:02 pm

take the cash
60+40
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kenwood » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:19 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:

Certainly quicker than Daley Thompson when he played for us. ;)

I remember watching the reserve game he played in and was no longer the athlete he once was... he wasn’t a footballer either from memory, although he did play at centre half during the match I seem to remember?
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:23 pm

five to three wrote:
S7AGS wrote:As frustrating as CJ can be at times, he's still our most dangerous player on form and probably the quickest in the league, pace isn't easy to find in L2.
He gets a rough deal in my opinion, teams clearly see him as the danger man and pay him special attention...as he matures he'll get better at dealing with this - this next season should be the one for him to really step up.

I cant understand why any fan would think 300k is a good price? He's under contract, we need him and it would be v.expensive to replace his pace (we wouldn't be able to) so would end up weaker.

Fully agree. You won't replace him with the same potential for that money and managed the right way and played far enough forward I bet he is the one player we have that really scares the opposition!

So the decision to be made if this whole thing is straight up, keep him and hope he plays to his potential, then let him walk away at the end of his contract for free or cash in now.

My view is cash in now if £300k is the offer.

Question, where have Blackpool found £300k?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:27 pm

oldweststander wrote:
five to three wrote:

So the decision to be made if this whole thing is straight up, keep him and hope he plays to his potential, then let him walk away at the end of his contract for free or cash in now.

My view is cash in now if £300k is the offer.

Question, where have Blackpool found £300k?
That's a good point. More often than not, fees are paid in instalments.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Nutty Stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Didn't Paul Fleming win a competition to find the fastest player back in the 80's?
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:37 pm

For those that think he isn't rated by GC, remember he kept Mal Benning out of the side before the interruption to the season.

I also think that CJ is a more talented footballer than a lot give him credit for. He is excellent at left wing and quite competent at left back left wingback, right back, right wingback and right wing. He can also play in the centre when we play balls for him to run onto. In short, he is the most versatile player we have.He is however a confidence player and doesn't play well when members of the crowd get on his back.

If we are going to have a smaller squad it would be madness to let him go for that money as we will need to sign at least two other players to replace him. We will not find a better player in his best position on the left wing which could be the difference between promotion and failure. If we really are going for it, he needs to stay.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:42 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:For those that think he isn't rated by GC, remember he kept Mal Benning out of the side before the interruption to the season.

I also think that CJ is a more talented footballer than a lot give him credit for. He is excellent at left wing and quite competent at left back left wingback, right back, right wingback and right wing. He can also play in the centre when we play balls for him to run onto. In short, he is the most versatile player we have.He is however a confidence player and doesn't play well when members of the crowd get on his back.

If we are going to have a smaller squad it would be madness to let him go for that money as we will need to sign at least two other players to replace him. We will not find a better player in his best position on the left wing which could be the difference between promotion and failure. If we really are going for it, he needs to stay.

That won’t be a problem for a month or two so we might be top of the league by the time the fans are allowed back in :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Dan wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:For those that think he isn't rated by GC, remember he kept Mal Benning out of the side before the interruption to the season.

That won’t be a problem for a month or two so we might be top of the league by the time the fans are allowed back in :D

So many players are going to be exposed by this rubbish about crowd reaction equalling poor form. One less excuse for them to hide behind if/when they underperform.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:06 pm

Watching CJ is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's always just a quick spurt, then a tremendous anti climax and feeling cheap and deflated.

Yeah sell him.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:13 pm

Needs to be a hefty sell on fee as CJ would thrive with better players around him...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum