{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

CJ to Blackpool

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

CJ to Blackpool

Postby grufti » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:13 am

Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: CJ to Blackpool for £300k?

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:27 am

I would be hugely disappointed if this happened. I know some don't agree but I rate Hamilton as one of our most outstanding players of recent years. His presence and pace alone frighten defenders to death and if our forwards had kept up, his number of assists would be at least doubled even during the last abysmal season for the team.

Add the fact that he can cover at left back/wing back and he would be extremely hard to replace. I know that in current circumstances fees have taken a nose dive so £300,000 would be a good amount but I think he is worth more than that to us especially if we are again looking at promotion. I don't think we could get a better or more valuable player to the team at our level.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:34 am

I'm afraid I'm one of "the others" SPBS.....whilst what you say is true about his pace....his consistent inability to deliver a good cross, find a team mate with often a simple pass or more importantly fail to beat the goalkeeper, hit the target or even score with a positive chance ratio causes his critics to just shrug our shoulders and accept those inevitabilities as "it's just CJ". Wish him well if he goes though....he's a really great lad personality wise.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:39 am

I would be sad to see CJ leave.

Fully understand that people have their frustrations with his end product at times, but he can be such a huge threat at this level and puts defenders on the back foot. We would struggle to replace him in my opinion and our squad already lacks any real pace.

Last season was a shambles for the entire squad but we know what CJ can do when he is managed properly. Evans and Flitcroft both put a lot of time in to him and in turn they got one of the most effective wingers in the league.

He can play multiple positions quite effectively as well which could be crucial if we are going to work with a slightly smaller squad considering all that’s going on.
I wouldn’t accept £300k personally.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:46 am

Given it seems he’s only got a year left on his deal, and his poor form last season (not on his own of course), If we did want to sell him, I don’t think you’d get much more than 300k in the current climate. If we are looking so sell, the McLaughlin rumour makes a bit more sense.

However, it would seem there is no particular financial need for us to sell.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 am

I have said this a few times previously.

We should me selling when a decent profit is available.

Hamilton came on a free, from non-league football and whilst I agree that when he is hot he is a real threat, when is is not hot he is a complete passenger.

He showed glimpses under Evans and was sensational at times under Flitcroft. I'm not sure that he fits Coughlins physical and high pressure style though.

He is probably on a good wage and might still expect a good wage next season, which needs to be factored in.

We might be able to squeeze a bit more for him, but I'd accept 300k as a fair price.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 am

300k is a lot of money at our level. Is CJ really worth that amount? I like him, and when he’s playing well he’s worth more than that, however he has had more bad games than good. I do think under GC he could improve but he’s not a youngster anymore and personally I’d be taking that sort of money and spending it wisely on the defence and a decent midfielder who can score a few!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:57 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:I'm afraid I'm one of "the others" SPBS.....whilst what you say is true about his pace....his consistent inability to deliver a good cross, find a team mate with often a simple pass or more importantly fail to beat the goalkeeper, hit the target or even score with a positive chance ratio causes his critics to just shrug our shoulders and accept those inevitabilities as "it's just CJ". Wish him well if he goes though....he's a really great lad personality wise.

I acknowledge what you say Chris but I put that down more to other players failing to keep up or find positions clear of defenders than CJ's ability to find them. Put him with better footballing players and he will be one of the hottest properties around. To succeed you need players to commit forward but unfortunately ours seldom do.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:58 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:I'm afraid I'm one of "the others" SPBS.....whilst what you say is true about his pace....his consistent inability to deliver a good cross, find a team mate with often a simple pass or more importantly fail to beat the goalkeeper, hit the target or even score with a positive chance ratio causes his critics to just shrug our shoulders and accept those inevitabilities as "it's just CJ". Wish him well if he goes though....he's a really great lad personality wise.

I acknowledge what you say Chris but I put that down more to other players failing to keep up or find positions clear of defenders than CJ's ability to find them. Put him with better footballing players and he will be one of the hottest properties around. To succeed you need players to commit forward but unfortunately ours seldom do.

Very true. The amount of times he beats a defender and literally has nobody in the box to pass to is incredible.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:00 am

We shot have cashed in this time last year while he was hot property, would have got more. Hindsight is 20/20. We weren't to know he or we would have the season we had.

I'd take 300k plus add ons now.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:01 am

If we get a good season out of CJ again he could go for our record fee, obviously last season with others he was dreadful.

We either sell him or offer another contract at this point.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:04 am

I'd keep him personally, poor season last season but still potentially a massive threat at this level - worth the risk.
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:04 am

How accurate is this source as ive never came across it before ?

£300k seems alot of money for Blackpool to be splashing out given they way football finances are at the minute.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am

MTFCMAD wrote:How accurate is this source as ive never came across it before ?

£300k seems alot of money for Blackpool to be splashing out given they way football finances are at the minute.

Although not always a sign of reliability, they have over 50k followers.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:19 am

I feel if he stays here, un GC he will have a good season and be worth more. Was crap last year but everyone was under a manager that didn't have a clue.

Go to Blackpool and he will be another Adi Yussuf back out on loan elsewhere.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:19 am

As frustrating as CJ can be at times, he's still our most dangerous player on form and probably the quickest in the league, pace isn't easy to find in L2.
He gets a rough deal in my opinion, teams clearly see him as the danger man and pay him special attention...as he matures he'll get better at dealing with this - this next season should be the one for him to really step up.

I cant understand why any fan would think 300k is a good price? He's under contract, we need him and it would be v.expensive to replace his pace (we wouldn't be able to) so would end up weaker.
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby S7AGS » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:21 am

Sedgwick wrote:I feel if he stays here, un GC he will have a good season and be worth more. Was crap last year but everyone was under a manager that didn't have a clue.

Go to Blackpool and he will be another Adi Yussuf back out on loan elsewhere.

Agreed, he's the type that thrives on good coaching, in a well organised, fit and aggressive side like I think we'll have next season he could end up being worth double the quoted figure or more...
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:30 am

CJ should not be leaving MTFC, especially for 300k. He is that much of a danger teams double up on him. Yes, it makes him a passenger when that happens, but its taking an extra player out of the game.

We know the potential in him with the right guidance.. just look what DF achieved with. He was up and down and never stopped, scoring and making goals as well as putting in a defensive shift.

You cannot buy pace and fitness like it
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:34 am

tough one this!

pace to burn in league two is a real asset, however he needs to work on his crossing as we know, for me i’d keep if we don’t need the money

i’m sure Sharpie & GC will do what’s best
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:34 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:How accurate is this source as ive never came across it before ?

Although not always a sign of reliability, they have over 50k followers.

as Musings says, 50k followers. Been going for 11 years. This account is not part of the recent epidemic of fake twitter accounts made up in someone's back bedroom. Looks like a genuine insider account.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tess Tickle » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:41 am

Snap their hands off. And if that don't work snap their legs off.
Apart from a 3 month good spell a season and half ago he hasn't produced enough. The most frustrating player we have. Final ball is 90% shocking. Sorry but the amount of times his crosses don't get over the first man is criminal.
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wink68 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am

If you make him the main man and play football that suits him as Flitcroft did he's worth at least double that. Under GC he will just stay another frustrating winger. Might as well have the money and spend it on a player that fits into the managers style of play.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:49 am

Another thought on this, it depends if GC sees him as one of our best players and will build a team around him.....

Thinking about it, We will be a team built on a solid defence and a tough midfield that gets the ball forward quickly. can't see CJ really fitting into it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:20 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Another thought on this, it depends if GC sees him as one of our best players and will build a team around him.....

Thinking about it, We will be a team built on a solid defence and a tough midfield that gets the ball forward quickly. can't see CJ really fitting into it.

Needs a midfield to knock a weighted pass in front of him to run onto. Then he's unplayable. Not going to beat his man as a tricky dribbling winger. And will be a waste of time if we knock high ball forward. Only place I see him fit into a GC team is wing back. So we take the money and keep Mal there.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:49 pm

I’d probably prefer to keep him. It would be nice to have some genuine pace in the team, CJ aside we currently don’t really have any.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum