{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

florist

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

florist

Postby Norman » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:34 pm

Really hope they get knocked out of the playoffs . A successful florist is bad for MTFC. Taking support out of the area etc! Noticed a surge in folk wearing florist shirts in Mansfield . Saddens me to see this. One team in Notts MTFC!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: florist

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:23 am

Sadly it's never been 'cool' to support Mansfield, it's just the way it is.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:00 am

Always been the same.

There are those in Mansfield who technically support Forest and never been to the City Ground.

TV has much to answer for.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:18 am

I want Forest to lose because I work with a lot of Forest fans, who are still unbearably smug despite being garbage for the better part of 30 years. I think I hate Forest more than any other club on the planet.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:09 am

I live in Nottingham and I can't think of anything worse than them being in the Premier League. It would be unbearable.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:56 am

I know four Stags fans who are season ticket holders at both Stags and Forest.

Other local football fans will come and watch the Stags if we are doing well. There were lots of Forest fans who came to watch the Stags in the Glory Years from 1974-1978 when Forest were not at home.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:00 am

I’ve said this before , one of the worst things to happen to MTFC was when we got promoted to the old second division and florist went in to the first division the same season , a lot of folk from the Mansfield area then began following florist , even more when the won the European cup. Before that I can’t recall hardly any florist fans from the Mansfield area . Can’t and will never get my head around why anyone born and bred from the Mansfield area would follow a local rival club 14 miles away!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:07 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I know four Stags fans who are season ticket holders at both Stags and Forest.

Other local football fans will come and watch the Stags if we are doing well. There were lots of Forest fans who came to watch the Stags in the Glory Years from 1974-1978 when Forest were not at home.

That’s true , I think there are a lot more Forest fans in the Ashfield area
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:24 am

I must be in the minority then ,because i wish them nothing but well ,i never think of them as a rival because they are simply at a different level ,all my best mates were florist fans when i lived in notts and they were great lads ,anyway i think too dislike them as a club because quite a few locals follow them is just stags fans not wanting to accept our own clubs failings over the years .
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:04 am

Both Nottingham Forest and Notts County could be promoted this season.

Not as silly as it sounds, given that both Northampton and Wycombe have already been promoted, by the playoffs.

I think County will do it. Not so sure about Forest.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:13 am

Forest under Cloughie and Taylor were incredible to watch,
They took a 2nd division provincial club to the first division title and onto European success sweeping aside the mighty Liverpool.
Being of a certain age I consider it a privilege to have witnessed that, As was watching Dave Smith and Peter Morris Stags legends.
I'm a Mansfield lad but love The city of Nottingham.. Chalk and cheese.. But love em both.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 am

Most Forest fans I know look down quite favourably on Stags so I will be cheering them on now. They don’t look at County as warmly as us. Also, how can a team from Nottinghamshire being in the premier league be anything other than good for the local area? There is no rivalry between us.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:43 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Most Forest fans I know look down quite favourably on Stags so I will be cheering them on now. They don’t look at County as warmly as us. Also, how can a team from Nottinghamshire being in the premier league be anything other than good for the local area? There is no rivalry between us.

Agreed
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:49 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Most Forest fans I know look down quite favourably on Stags so I will be cheering them on now. They don’t look at County as warmly as us. Also, how can a team from Nottinghamshire being in the premier league be anything other than good for the local area? There is no rivalry between us.

"Look down" being the operative words. The ones I know are condescending in the extreme. Smarmy raspberries.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Norman wrote:I’ve said this before , one of the worst things to happen to MTFC was when we got promoted to the old second division and florist went in to the first division the same season , a lot of folk from the Mansfield area then began following florist , even more when the won the European cup. Before that I can’t recall hardly any florist fans from the Mansfield area . Can’t and will never get my head around why anyone born and bred from the Mansfield area would follow a local rival club 14 miles away!

I don't mind fans going the 14 miles to see Forest as these families could have roots in that area anyway and have moved a bit further north. The Stags take fans away from local non league teams within our hinterland from Sutton Town (a few years ago), Kirkby, Clipstone, Rainworth etc. Mansfield can gravitate towards Nottingham and be classed as within Nottingham's hinterland (a pecking order exists) so naturally we will lose fans to Forest. Stockport will lose fans to Man City and United as will Bury and Rochdale. Darlington and Hartlepool have the same issue with Newcastle and Sunderland. It's the ones with Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and lately Man City replica shirts that are lost from our counties local football grounds.
Forest were only out of the top flight for around five years anyway when promoted in 1977. Its the success they achieved when promoted that drew fans to the City Ground from the Mansfield and Ashfield areas in large numbers. In those days you could just hop on a bus and go to the match without having to plan in advance as gates were very rarely shut (v Liverpool on Boxing Day was probably the only one which sold out at 47000). I went to all the Stags home games during 1977-78 as a kid but also went to see Forest half a dozen times or so during their title winning season and the same during 1976-77 when Forest had gates of around 13000. If Forest go up this season they could only potentially draw another 2-3000 fans as they are around capacity anyway. These extra fans are likely to be latent Forest fans so our crowds should not suffer too much short term. if they remain successful for a few years and they go ahead with their planned ground development which is currently on hold they could then hoover up a few Stags floating fans. It is more important in the long term that the Stags do well, if we are successful then we should be fine irrespective of how Forest or Sky Sports perform but obviously if Forest, County and Chesterfield are in the doldrums and under achieving then it can't hurt our progress.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:07 pm

This is why Derby are my second team, love it when they're doing better than florist.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:19 pm

Sneag wrote:

"Look down" being the operative words. The ones I know are condescending in the extreme. Smarmy raspberries.

Oh yes “look down” was intended, however they might have a right to that given they won the European Cup a few times many moons ago, as they keep reminding everyone :lol:
However they wish us well generally.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:39 pm

I agree, I used to watch Forest every now and then when we didn't have a game. I don't really have a 2nd team, but Forest are probably the one I have watched the most, apart from the Stags of course.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:14 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Norman wrote:I’ve said this before , one of the worst things to happen to MTFC was when we got promoted to the old second division and florist went in to the first division the same season , a lot of folk from the Mansfield area then began following florist , even more when the won the European cup. Before that I can’t recall hardly any florist fans from the Mansfield area . Can’t and will never get my head around why anyone born and bred from the Mansfield area would follow a local rival club 14 miles away!

I don't mind fans going the 14 miles to see Forest as these families could have roots in that area anyway and have moved a bit further north. The Stags take fans away from local non league teams within our hinterland from Sutton Town (a few years ago), Kirkby, Clipstone, Rainworth etc. Mansfield can gravitate towards Nottingham and be classed as within Nottingham's hinterland (a pecking order exists) so naturally we will lose fans to Forest. Stockport will lose fans to Man City and United as will Bury and Rochdale. Darlington and Hartlepool have the same issue with Newcastle and Sunderland. It's the ones with Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and lately Man City replica shirts that are lost from our counties local football grounds.
Forest were only out of the top flight for around five years anyway when promoted in 1977. Its the success they achieved when promoted that drew fans to the City Ground from the Mansfield and Ashfield areas in large numbers. In those days you could just hop on a bus and go to the match without having to plan in advance as gates were very rarely shut (v Liverpool on Boxing Day was probably the only one which sold out at 47000). I went to all the Stags home games during 1977-78 as a kid but also went to see Forest half a dozen times or so during their title winning season and the same during 1976-77 when Forest had gates of around 13000. If Forest go up this season they could only potentially draw another 2-3000 fans as they are around capacity anyway. These extra fans are likely to be latent Forest fans so our crowds should not suffer too much short term. if they remain successful for a few years and they go ahead with their planned ground development which is currently on hold they could then hoover up a few Stags floating fans. It is more important in the long term that the Stags do well, if we are successful then we should be fine irrespective of how Forest or Sky Sports perform but obviously if Forest, County and Chesterfield are in the doldrums and under achieving then it can't hurt our progress.

And this is exactly why we need Clownty to remain non-league for years, so a generation grow up knowning we are second in that pecking order. Then we make an assault on first spot.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:50 pm

As teams in the playoffs go, I have lost count how many times I have seen them on TV this season and not been impressed by them at all.

But it's teams like those that aren't pretty on the eye yet still somehow grind out results are suited for playoff football.

It'll be wrong really if either Brentford or West Brom don't win the playoffs depending on which one fails to nab second spot.
Last edited by stagmanrob on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Sneag wrote:I want Forest to lose because I work with a lot of Forest fans, who are still unbearably smug despite being garbage for the better part of 30 years. I think I hate Forest more than any other club on the planet.

I could think of 2 teams much more deserving of that accolade, currently residing in the footballing dungeons ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Majority of Forest fans I know of genuinely want Stags to do well, just the odd fan that thinks otherwise.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:57 pm

I think having Forest in the Prem, and us having a good relationship with them can only be a good thing.

I don’t find them anywhere near as smug as the bedwetters.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:53 pm

spanishstag wrote:I must be in the minority then ,because i wish them nothing but well ,i never think of them as a rival because they are simply at a different level ,all my best mates were florist fans when i lived in notts and they were great lads ,anyway i think too dislike them as a club because quite a few locals follow them is just stags fans not wanting to accept our own clubs failings over the years .

No, I’m the same. They’re not a rival.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:26 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
spanishstag wrote:I must be in the minority then ,because i wish them nothing but well ,i never think of them as a rival because they are simply at a different level ,all my best mates were florist fans when i lived in notts and they were great lads ,anyway i think too dislike them as a club because quite a few locals follow them is just stags fans not wanting to accept our own clubs failings over the years .

No, I’m the same. They’re not a rival.

Man U and Liverpool aren't our rivals, it doesn't stop their fans being arrogant raspberries does it. ;)
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum