{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Wigan Athletic In Administration

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Wigan Athletic In Administration

Postby Big yella » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Sneag wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
The One wrote:Nice win for them tonight
Wigan 8 Hull 0. Sounds more like a rugby league result.

7-0 at half time. Pity they didn't get 10.

Great attitude from their players though. They have put themselves in a position where they can take a 12 point hit & still stay up.

If taking 12 points off Wigan would mean them staying up then they wont be taken off, and they will start next season on-12 points.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:46 am

Big yella wrote:
Sneag wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

Great attitude from their players though. They have put themselves in a position where they can take a 12 point hit & still stay up.

If taking 12 points off Wigan would mean them staying up then they wont be taken off, and they will start next season on-12 points.

I am fairly sure they only carry over into next season if the team would have been relegated without the deduction. If Wigan finish more than 12 points above relegation they will stay up and start next season with a clean slate.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:14 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Sneag wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

I am fairly sure they only carry over into next season if the team would have been relegated without the deduction. If Wigan finish more than 12 points above relegation they will stay up and start next season with a clean slate.

correct.

The English Football League said the club would be subject to a 12-point deduction, but that the timing of it could only be decided upon once the final Championship table is determined.

If the club are relegated by on-field results, the sanction would be applied in League One next season.

If the club stay outside of the bottom three, the sanction would be applied to the 2019-20 table.

Read more at https://news.sky.com/story/wigan-athlet ... n-12018790
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:56 am

Either way, if Wigan can avoid relegation this season & start next at -12 that would still be a good result for them.

Bournemouth & Rotherham both stayed up after -17 points deductions.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:05 am

Sneag wrote:Either way, if Wigan can avoid relegation this season & start next at -12 that would still be a good result for them.

They won’t though, if they finish 12 or more points it’ll be applied this season.

I think it only carries over to next season if they’re already in the relegation zone and it wouldn’t have made a difference
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:20 am

adamstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:Either way, if Wigan can avoid relegation this season & start next at -12 that would still be a good result for them.

They won’t though, if they finish 12 or more points it’ll be applied this season.

I think it only carries over to next season if they’re already in the relegation zone and it wouldn’t have made a difference

as adam says, they cannot start next season on -12 now, as they can no longer finish in the relegation zone (before any deduction is applied). So the 12 point deduction will be applied this season whatever happens now.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Big yella » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:01 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Sneag wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

Ah! That does seem fairer.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:49 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:46 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:up to 15 clubs at risk

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/uk- ... sk-4355149

Shocking statistic!
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:27 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:up to 15 clubs at risk

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/uk- ... sk-4355149

Either spot on journalism or an attempt from the Evening Post website to ‘bury the bad news’ of Forest throwing away a playoff spot in the most spectacular style possible.

Me, for the good of football I hope it is the latter.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:36 pm

The administrators have said that it will cost between four hundred and five hundred thousand pounds to launch an appeal. A disgustingly high figure which equates to one of the players they have just sold to keep the club afloat or a months wage bill. That is a hell of a decision for the administrators to make; appeal and gamble with such a large amount of cash and possibly their future or just bend over and bite the pillow? The legal definition of unforeseen circumstances in footballing governance circumstances has never before had such weight put upon it.

The worst of all this is the EFL rules. Wigan, as the club mounting the appeal have to fund the cost of theirs and the EFL’s legal teams. Not very fair is it. Don’t blame the EFL though, as it is the 72 chairman of the member clubs that came up with that rule. it’s about time that Chairmen/owners sat down in a room and actually worked for the good of the game, collectively, rather than their annual rubber stamping beano to Portugal or wherever it is staged.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:40 pm

Spartacus, as I am sure you are well aware, the chances of chairmen/owners working for the benefit of the game is less than slim.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:45 pm

garlic wrote:Spartacus, as I am sure you are well aware, the chances of chairmen/owners working for the benefit of the game is less than slim.

Regretfully you are bang on the money. And I don’t think it will change in our lifetime.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:19 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

Wonder where he will end up next, Watford?, Huddersfield?. Wherever it is I'm sure he won't be unemployed for long.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:26 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Wonder where he will end up next, Watford?, Huddersfield?. Wherever it is I'm sure he won't be unemployed for long.

Had an interview with Bristol City apparently
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

They will be better off with Cook than the Cowleys.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:29 pm

Interesting in championshi0 Sheff Wed deducted 12 points
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:35 pm

The One wrote:Interesting in championshi0 Sheff Wed deducted 12 points

Shame that it's been suspended until next season. Another panel bottling giving the proper punishment because they don't want to relegate a club?
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:38 pm

I once met Paul Cook in a restaurant near Sheffield. Was with my wife and young granddaughter. He was on a nearby table with his family. One of his children came over to speak to my granddaughter. Cook came over and apologised. I said no problem and said to him you are doing a good job of managing Chesterfield. He said thanks for saying that. I said it's praise indeed as I'm a Stags fan. We had a laugh about it. He said he had a lot of time for Paul Cox. I said in that case can you lend us Morsey. Really nice, bloke. He will do well wherever he goes.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:38 pm

eggy wrote:

Shame that it's been suspended until next season. Another panel bottling giving the proper punishment because they don't want to relegate a club?

Did not know that, wanted Charlton to stay up
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 pm

The One wrote:
eggy wrote:

Did not know that, wanted Charlton to stay upm

Don't worry Charlton are looking into it, as it took over 8 months to decide on this punishment from when they were first charged!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:16 pm

As said in the other thread against macc, the EFL are clueless, though appreciate this wasn’t them - how do you determine whether it shouldn’t be served this season? If administration points is served this season on Wigan on that basis why isn’t this served on sheff wed also?

They’re bloody hopeless.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:24 pm

adamstag wrote:As said in the other thread against macc, the EFL are clueless, though appreciate this wasn’t them - how do you determine whether it shouldn’t be served this season? If administration points is served this season on Wigan on that basis why isn’t this served on sheff wed also?

They’re bloody hopeless.

I think the answer is because it is after the end of the season.

A bit like Bury having the sanctions in 19/20 season instead of 18/19 season. Their ‘criminal’ actions were decided/found out after the season was finished, whereas Wigan’s misdeeds occurred during the season.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:24 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

They will be better off with Cook than the Cowleys.

I'm interested to see who they get, as my cousin is a young(ish) player there and this season is the season he'll finally nail down a first team place or not. He's been out on loan a fair bit, but is rated there. Hopefully he gets a manager that's willing to give him a chance rather than just go out an buy a more experienced player.

It's between Alex Neil, Chris Houghton and Paul Cook at the moment. Not sure which has the better record of nurturing from within.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum