{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

League Two play offs

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: League Two play offs

Postby Bros » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:10 am

Well done to Wycombe, still a community club I believe. The entertainment outside the ground before games is first class. We were always welcome there because it was our win against the Gas that kept them up. In fact our scorer Junior Daniel is a legend at Adams Park even though he never played for them. Mind you it will be chaos on that dead end road up to the ground when the big boys come to town. Good luck to them.
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:43 am

The biggest think I take from Wycombe promotion is that if they can get to the Championship, then there’s absolutely no reason that we cannot.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The biggest think I take from Wycombe promotion is that if they can get to the Championship, then there’s absolutely no reason that we cannot.
I think you have to take into account how they got into the Championship. They were a mid table side. If the season had gone full term it's doubtful they would have got in a play off position. I thought Oxford were much the better side and played all the football.

Having said that good luck to them. They took their chance.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:41 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The biggest think I take from Wycombe promotion is that if they can get to the Championship, then there’s absolutely no reason that we cannot.
I think you have to take into account how they got into the Championship. They were a mid table side. If the season had gone full term it's doubtful they would have got in a play off position. I thought Oxford were much the better side and played all the football.

I think you do them a disservice saying they were a midtable side. They were one point behind the other play off teams and three points behind second place Rotherham, with a game in hand on all.

Separately I don't necessarily agree with those saying that the best we can hope for is a season in the Championship, when Burton have managed a couple and Donny managed several.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Doubtful but also as likely. They achieved promotion fair and square. Great achievement.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:43 pm

Scothie the Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I think you do them a disservice saying they were a midtable side. They were one point behind the other play off teams and three points behind second place Rotherham, with a game in hand on all.

Separately I don't necessarily agree with those saying that the best we can hope for is a season in the Championship, when Burton have managed a couple and Donny managed several.

Well said. Wycombe were hardly mid table all season and PPG said they’re 3rd I believe so fully deserved.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:08 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Scothie the Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Well said. Wycombe were hardly mid table all season and PPG said they’re 3rd I believe so fully deserved.

Good luck to them. I don't begrudge their promotion. All I'm saying is that promotions and relegations this season in the lower leagues have been achieved in unusual circumstances. I'm sure that if a full season had taken its course things would have been different.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:42 pm

I begrudge them their promotion because Ainsworth's sides play the worst 'anti-football' since the John Beck days at Lincoln, even worse than Stevenage under Westley. Awful to watch, conning the ref at every opportunity.
A Lincoln supporting mate of mine messaged me at half time in the Lincoln v Wycombe game in 2017/18 and said it was the worst 45 minutes of football he had ever seen in his life, and although Ainsworth was a hero of his from his playing days he could f... off !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:16 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:I begrudge them their promotion because Ainsworth's sides play the worst 'anti-football' since the John Beck days at Lincoln, even worse than Stevenage under Westley. Awful to watch, conning the ref at every opportunity.
A Lincoln supporting mate of mine messaged me at half time in the Lincoln v Wycombe game in 2017/18 and said it was the worst 45 minutes of football he had ever seen in his life, and although Ainsworth was a hero of his from his playing days he could f... off !!

He’s got a nerve with The Cowley’s in their dugout!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Congratulations to Gareth Ainsworth and Wycombe Wanderers on their promotion from League 1 to The Championship. Tremendous achievement and I'm still not sure how they did it. It gives hope to all small clubs that you can have a wonderful season and win promotion against the odds. It certainly did not look likely when the Stags saved Wycombe from relegation to the National League by beating Bristol Rovers 1-0 away in May 2014; or when Steve Evans' Mansfield team beat Wycombe 2-1 at Adams Park on 30th December 2017. I saw them later that season win promotion at the Prozac Stadium.

League 1 Stats - Wycombe Wanderers
Average Possession - 23rd
Passes - 23rd
Short Passes - 23rd
More than 10 pass sequence - 23rd
Width per passing sequence - 23rd

League 1 Stats - Oxford United
Average Possession - 1st
Passes - 1st
Short Passes - 1st
More than 10 pass sequence - 1st
Width per passing sequence - 1st

Good old fashioned direct football
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:16 pm

The experimental 361 site had Wycombe only finishing eighth, and you can see why Peterborough were up in arms.

https://experimental361.com/2020/03/08/ ... -mar-2020/
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:25 pm

part time pete wrote:The experimental 361 site had Wycombe only finishing eighth, and you can see why Peterborough were up in arms.

https://experimental361.com/2020/03/08/ ... -mar-2020/

Poor Peterborough :lol:
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:53 pm

All the teams in the playoffs were rubbing their hands at playing Wycombe instead of Peterborough. Oh how that worked out. Agree, it’s not pretty on the eye but defensively and as a team they work so hard for their manager. Pity that never happens here.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:58 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Congratulations to Gareth Ainsworth and Wycombe Wanderers on their promotion from League 1 to The Championship. Tremendous achievement and I'm still not sure how they did it. It gives hope to all small clubs that you can have a wonderful season and win promotion against the odds. It certainly did not look likely when the Stags saved Wycombe from relegation to the National League by beating Bristol Rovers 1-0 away in May 2014; or when Steve Evans' Mansfield team beat Wycombe 2-1 at Adams Park on 30th December 2017. I saw them later that season win promotion at the Prozac Stadium.

Passes - 23rd
Short Passes - 23rd

Average Possession - 1st
Passes - 1st
Short Passes - 1st

And all that that proves is that when you statistic loving nerds bang on about your percentage this, and percentage that, you are talking bull. ;) :lol:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Big yella wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Congratulations to Gareth Ainsworth and Wycombe Wanderers on their promotion from League 1 to The Championship. Tremendous achievement and I'm still not sure how they did it. It gives hope to all small clubs that you can have a wonderful season and win promotion against the odds. It certainly did not look likely when the Stags saved Wycombe from relegation to the National League by beating Bristol Rovers 1-0 away in May 2014; or when Steve Evans' Mansfield team beat Wycombe 2-1 at Adams Park on 30th December 2017. I saw them later that season win promotion at the Prozac Stadium.

Passes - 23rd
Short Passes - 23rd

Average Possession - 1st
Passes - 1st
Short Passes - 1st

And all that that proves is that when you statistic loving nerds bang on about your percentage this, and percentage that, you are talking bull. ;) :lol:

It is when you useless stats such as the ones quoted above, I agree.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:A Lincoln supporting mate of mine messaged me at half time in the Lincoln v Wycombe game in 2017/18 and said it was the worst 45 minutes of football he had ever seen in his life, and although Ainsworth was a hero of his from his playing days he could f... off !!

I went to that game and sat with the Wycombe fans in the Stacey West Stand. It was a 0-0 draw and Wycombe were wasting time from the first minute. This was my summary of the game.

17/04/18: League 2
Lincoln City 0 Wycombe Wanderers 0
Felt very annoyed last night watching Lincoln City v Wycombe Wanderers. Mansfield have a better team and better players than both these very direct dull sides. Our fans would be moaning like mad if we hit so many long diagonal balls into the area to a big striker or deliberately time wasted like Wycombe. How we have ended up behind these two teams in the league is beyond me.

Best chants of the night from the Chairboys:

(To Rheady) "You're just a sh*t Akinfenwa"
Rheady was amazingly given the sponsors MOM. He had done very little all night apart from constantly foul and wrestle with the Wycombe defence. The Wycombe fans were constantly moaning about him but Akinfenwa is exactly the same.

"We know what we are, we know what we are, time wasting raspberries, we know what we are" (so true).

Wycombe are now in the Championship and Lincoln are in League 1 which makes me even more annoyed :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:17 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:A Lincoln supporting mate of mine messaged me at half time in the Lincoln v Wycombe game in 2017/18 and said it was the worst 45 minutes of football he had ever seen in his life, and although Ainsworth was a hero of his from his playing days he could f... off !!

I went to that game and sat with the Wycombe fans in the Stacey West Stand. It was a 0-0 draw and Wycombe were wasting time from the first minute. This was my summary of the game.

Felt very annoyed last night watching Lincoln City v Wycombe Wanderers. Mansfield have a better team and better players than both these very direct dull sides. Our fans would be moaning like mad if we hit so many long diagonal balls into the area to a big striker or deliberately time wasted like Wycombe. How we have ended up behind these two teams in the league is beyond me.

Rheady was amazingly given the sponsors MOM. He had done very little all night apart from constantly foul and wrestle with the Wycombe defence. The Wycombe fans were constantly moaning about him but Akinfenwa is exactly the same.

"We know what we are, we know what we are, time wasting raspberries, we know what we are" (so true).

Wycombe are now in the Championship and Lincoln are in League 1 which makes me even more annoyed :lol:

And if salary caps are introduced Wycombe will have a reported ceiling cap of 18 million to spend . :lol:
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:17 am

A lot of our fans rate Flitcroft (nice little passes with 0 success) over Paul Cox (direct football but title winners) so if we had Ainsworth has manager some folk would probably call him clueless :lol:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:20 am

Hjeldefan wrote:

A lot of our fans rate Flitcroft (nice little passes with 0 success) over Paul Cox (direct football but title winners) so if we had Ainsworth has manager some folk would probably call him clueless :lol:

If we were Wycombe - I.e had ainsworth and we're going up to the champ you'd still have loads of moaners about the style of football despite it being successful.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:41 am

I agree. I'm pretty sure that if Gareth Ainsworth was Stags manager then he would have been slaughtered on social media for his direct style of football or for playing with one up front or for having ten men behind the ball.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:47 am

Anti-football is tolerable when you are winning.

Anything less than challenging for top spot or promotion and it's dogdo.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby groundhoppingstag » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:35 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I agree. I'm pretty sure that if Gareth Ainsworth was Stags manager then he would have been slaughtered on social media for his direct style of football or for playing with one up front or for having ten men behind the ball.

I remember Ian Greaves only playing Keith Cassells up front away from home and we ended up naming a stand after him.
groundhoppingstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:31 am

Sneag wrote:Anti-football is tolerable when you are winning.

Anything less than challenging for top spot or promotion and it's dogdo.

You say that, Wycombe nearly went down to non league with ainsworth, they stuck with him and it did take 6 years but he achieved something pretty special in the end.

I would imagine their fans are a lot more tolerable than ours, because they don't chuck big money about and shout from the roof they want to smash the league.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:18 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Spiritater wrote:hope wycombe fans enjoy their one season in t'championship

With the spirit and drive they have I wouldn't write them off just yet, won't have a huge transfer budget at all but they've managed to get there in the first place. It'll be tough for them, but I wish that was us going up to the championship

They’ll stay up for three seasons

Autumn, Winter and Spring
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum