{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Salary cap.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:19 pm

from https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... t-18584473

Worrying EFL update as Sunderland fight to stop flat salary cap ruling
Sunderland are against a flat salary cap being introduced because it would severely hamper their spending power in the third tier

12 JUL 2020

Sunderland are one of just two clubs said to be opposing new salary cap rules across the EFL, according to a worrying weekend report.

EFL chairman Rick Parry has previously spoken of his desire to introduce flat salary caps across all three EFL divisions, describing it as 'absolutely essential'.

And according to a Sun on Sunday report, most EFL clubs are in favour of the proposals, with only Sunderland and Porstmouth named as being opposed.

For Sunderland, the introduction of a flat salary cap across League One would feel like an unfair levelling of the playing field.

Their wage bill currently eclipses almost every other League One side, but it does so while complying with the current salary cap rules which allow League One and Two sides to spend just a percentage of expected turnover of player wages.

Sunderland's owners have long been champions of EFL clubs running more sustainably, but the flat salary cap proposals would see Sunderland limited to spending the same on wages as a club like Accrington Stanley, for example, whose turnover is far lower than the Black Cats' largely because of the number of supporters each club gets in the ground on average.

Speaking about the proposals recently, Sunderland CEO Jim Rodwell said: "We don't think that the proposed flat cap on salaries makes sense.

"We are all for running sustainable football clubs, but sustainability is not the same as levelling the playing field.

"Next thing you know there will be conversations about sharing gate receipts like they did in the early 1980s!

"I think the EFL are oversimplifying the sustainability issue.

"For a lot of clubs in League One, a £2.5m cap on wages is highly attractive, but our argument is that as a big football club we can generate more revenue and therefore we should be able to spend that revenue on players while remaining sustainable.

"This issue is not supposed to be about level playing fields, it is supposed to be about sustainability and trying to avoid what has happened to Wigan this week, and to Bury [who were expelled from the EFL due to financial problems] last summer.

"We agree with sustainability, but this is not the way forward at all."

It's not known exactly when any votes will take place, bit clubs need some clarity soon as they start to look ahead to next season.

For Sunderland, even after releasing numerous players this summer their wage bill would still eclipse proposed £2.5m and it is desperately short of reinforcements in its current state, with Phil Parkinson targeting seven or eight new arrivals in an ideal scenario.

But presuming this would come into effect immediately, exactly how it will work will be an equally complicated matter. Clubs would surely need to be given a grace period given that a lot of the contracts signed were done so before such rulings were even in the plans.

Not just that, but given how short of numbers Sunderland are, the question would need answering on if they could still sign players given they're already over the mark? The Black Cats could be in a situation whereby they're forced to sign under-21 players whose salaries aren't expected to be included, allowing more space in squads for younger players and offering more opportunities for the next generation of stars.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 20611
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:22 pm

from https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/fo ... ne-4321196

Portsmouth and Sunderland only League One clubs opposed to plans for EFL salary cap
The two clubs are the only ones to oppose the plans with both their wage bills much higher than the threshold suggested

13 JUL 2020

Portsmouth are one of two League One clubs to oppose plans for an EFL salary cap.

Pompey join Sunderland in being the sides who do not wish a salary cap to be introduced as they feel it would leave the top clubs in a worse position.

Mark Catlin has expressed his concerns at the plans, as has Kenny Jackett, in the past and both have several concerns about what state the league would be left in after a cap is introduced.

According to a report in the Sun on Sunday, every other club feels good about the plans and thinks they would provide a level of financial sustainability in the long term for clubs in the league.

Under current proposals, an £18m cap is proposed for the Championship with £2.5m in League One and £1.25m in League Two.

The Pompey hierarchy hold the belief that salary caps should be based on a club's turnover and not a blanket cap for every single club as this could reduce the appeal of Pompey compared to other clubs in the league.

Portsmouth's current wage bill reportedly far exceeds the current proposed cap, as per Portsmouth News, meaning that the club would have to offer all players a wage cut when it came to signing new deals.

Clubs are currently facing an uncertain financial future due to the coronavirus pandemic, with transfer fees set to be slashed and wages dropping hugely, and COVID-19 has accelerated plans to help clubs be sustainable.

Salary cap discussions are set to be continue between club officials and the EFL and it is currently unclear when a vote may formally take place.

The situation is made even more difficult with Pompey having released several players in their recent retained list and now have just 18 first team players to pick from, with two of those still negotiating new deals.

Portsmouth will need to recruit in the summer transfer window, with the centre-back spots needing at least two new options and both full-back spots possibly needing strengthening at the least.

The club will be wary of offering two high a wage to any player joining the club before these salary caps could be introduced and it may make it difficult for the club to attract better players.

With just Pompey and the Black Cats opposed, it looks unlikely that they will be able to persuade the majority of the league to change their minds, but only time will tell.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 20611
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Conker » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:27 pm

The quoted figure for L2 really seems a bit low for me, although I have seen £1.5m quoted around the media a few times too.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby west country stag » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:07 pm

I wonder what Macclesfields salary cap is ?
.... i think 2 bob & a conker !!!
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
User avatar
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:32 am
Location: Penzance , Cornwall

Re: Salary cap.

Postby one f in mansfield » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:33 pm

west country stag wrote:I wonder what Macclesfields salary cap is ?
.... i think 2 bob & a conker !!!



I would imagine anyone in Macclesfield who read that would have the same feeling for us that i have for Barceluton .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
User avatar
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:08 pm

Salary’s caps would be like Formula 1 teams all driving a Mini Cooper , I’m all for sustainability but caps will kill the game and clubs ambitions.
User avatar
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby adamstag » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Also if you get relegated from the championship having an £18m budget and you get relegated how are you supposed to get that down to £2.5?
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7910
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Salary cap.

Postby AlanStag » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:32 pm

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/18602955.bantams-speak-sudden-changes-salary-cap-proposal/

Makes a complete mockery of the cap for next season. Will we push through some big deals before Aug 6? Seems like it would be daft not to.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 am

Re: Salary cap.

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:37 pm

The salary cap is going to kill the notion of ambitious clubs. Absolutely terrible idea.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:22 am

MTFCMusings wrote:The salary cap is going to kill the notion of ambitious clubs. Absolutely terrible idea.


After reading the BBC article players and agents will be chasing contracts like headless chickens.

Maybe Maynard will be back?

This also gives me a little more hope that we can offload Cook before August 6th.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:44 am

"To make it easier for clubs to adjust to the salary cap, players already on the books would count at a maximum of £1,300 per week. The likes of Anthony O’Connor and Paudie O’Connor are understood to be on more than that at City."

I think most of the Stags squad (apart from the young lads) from the arrival of Mr Evans in November 2016 onwards would have been earning more than £1,300 per week. The last time the Stags could have complied with a salary cap of £1.5 million would have been when Adam Murray was manager in 2015-2016 although Matt Green was earning far more than £1,300 per week. Matty Blair could have been as well as we signed him from Fleetwood. Other new signings at the time might also have been earning more such as Craig Westcarr, Lee Collins, Mal Benning and James Baxendale etc.

Adam Murray did a good job as manager in 2015-2016 based on his playing budget.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7314
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:54 am

MTFCMusings wrote:The salary cap is going to kill the notion of ambitious clubs. Absolutely terrible idea.


How does it kill ambitious clubs? by that do you mean clubs with loads of money?

It will be refreshing seeing who can actually get a side going rather than just splashing the cash. (its why the prem is so boring)
Will Also bring a lot of agents and greedy players back down to earth.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2721
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Salary cap.

Postby lifestags » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:05 am

Interesting read that, so basically just get the players you want for potentially league 1 in before 6th aug.
lifestags
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:58 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The salary cap is going to kill the notion of ambitious clubs. Absolutely terrible idea.


How does it kill ambitious clubs? by that do you mean clubs with loads of money?

It will be refreshing seeing who can actually get a side going rather than just splashing the cash. (its why the prem is so boring)
Will Also bring a lot of agents and greedy players back down to earth.


Yes that’s what I mean. It stops an owner taking a club from rags to riches, although FFP has already done that to some extent.

Splashing the cash is not a precursor to success, as we’ve found out over the last three years, as Sunderland have found out, Portsmouth, the list goes on. But it’s also helped a lot of clubs get where they are despite the size of their club (Bournemouth, Fleetwood, Wolves). They wouldn’t happy with a salary cap.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:38 am

One problem with a salary cap is that clubs with good contacts or relations with higher league clubs would probably have a an advantage when it comes to obtaining and using loan players. Salford City could stick to the salary cap of £1.5 million (unlikely!) but then use their contacts at Man Utd to sign up their young players on loan and pay a very small part of their wages. They could even receive the players for free as long as they play them. There is a danger of lower league clubs just becoming feeder clubs because they need cheap players to comply with the salary cap although this could happen now.

The EFL would need to have a rule that if you sign a player on loan then you are deemed for the purposes of the salary cap to be paying a certain percentage of that player's wages (10-25%) even if the club concerned is paying a lower amount.

Clubs with a higher income/turnover would start complaining if they were prevented from signing players due to the salary cap but clubs with a lower income/turnover were picking up quality loan players on the cheap.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7314
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:03 pm

I can't see how it's fair on clubs who can attract larger crowds such as Sunderland and Hull City etc. They have the potential to have a much larger income than they can spend under a cap and surely should have the freedom to spend it to climb the leagues.

All a cap does is maintain the status quo of the leagues and allows clubs to maintain their pecking order when it may not be achievable if other clubs could spend what they earn. As much as it helps some clubs to survive by not overspending, it also stops other clubs from progressing. It is just denying some fans the chance to bask in the warmth of glory even if it is only for a short while.

Football should follow evolution with clubs rising and falling by natural means not have a status quo maintained by a group of elite clubs at the top who can pay much more than clubs caught in a salary cap trap.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I can't see how it's fair on clubs who can attract larger crowds such as Sunderland and Hull City etc. They have the potential to have a much larger income than they can spend under a cap and surely should have the freedom to spend it to climb the leagues.

All a cap does is maintain the status quo of the leagues and allows clubs to maintain their pecking order when it may not be achievable if other clubs could spend what they earn. As much as it helps some clubs to survive by not overspending, it also stops other clubs from progressing. It is just denying some fans the chance to bask in the warmth of glory even if it is only for a short while.

Football should follow evolution with clubs rising and falling by natural means not have a status quo maintained by a group of elite clubs at the top who can pay much more than clubs caught in a salary cap trap.

Agree that those with the resources should be allowed to spend them, but unfortunately too many clubs without the resources have gambled to try and compete.
EFL are in a no win situation. Bring in a cap and they are accused of penalising the 'bigger' clubs. Don't bring in a cap and they are slated when the next Bury/Wigan/Portsmouth comes along.
Dave Wayne
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Conker » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:52 pm

Premier League clubs are well known for wanting incredible amounts of money and putting in stupid demands when it comes to sending their young players to lower league clubs, so I dunno if that will be such a big problem.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:28 pm

It shouldn't be about level playing fields at all but affordability.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:55 pm

:lol: Don't Buskers us a salary cap :lol:
User avatar
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6052
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 9:32 am

Re: Salary cap.

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:49 pm

The vote has now been put back to Friday.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Conker » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:59 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:One problem with a salary cap is that clubs with good contacts or relations with higher league clubs would probably have a an advantage when it comes to obtaining and using loan players. Salford City could stick to the salary cap of £1.5 million (unlikely!) but then use their contacts at Man Utd to sign up their young players on loan and pay a very small part of their wages. They could even receive the players for free as long as they play them. There is a danger of lower league clubs just becoming feeder clubs because they need cheap players to comply with the salary cap although this could happen now.

The EFL would need to have a rule that if you sign a player on loan then you are deemed for the purposes of the salary cap to be paying a certain percentage of that player's wages (10-25%) even if the club concerned is paying a lower amount.

Clubs with a higher income/turnover would start complaining if they were prevented from signing players due to the salary cap but clubs with a lower income/turnover were picking up quality loan players on the cheap.


Lol Salford paid whatever the fee was for Bruno Andrade, gave him a £200,000 signing bonus and 5k p/w, they don’t want anything close to a salary cap!
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby west country stag » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:24 pm

Conker wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:One problem with a salary cap is that clubs with good contacts or relations with higher league clubs would probably have a an advantage when it comes to obtaining and using loan players. Salford City could stick to the salary cap of £1.5 million (unlikely!) but then use their contacts at Man Utd to sign up their young players on loan and pay a very small part of their wages. They could even receive the players for free as long as they play them. There is a danger of lower league clubs just becoming feeder clubs because they need cheap players to comply with the salary cap although this could happen now.

The EFL would need to have a rule that if you sign a player on loan then you are deemed for the purposes of the salary cap to be paying a certain percentage of that player's wages (10-25%) even if the club concerned is paying a lower amount.

Clubs with a higher income/turnover would start complaining if they were prevented from signing players due to the salary cap but clubs with a lower income/turnover were picking up quality loan players on the cheap.


Lol Salford paid whatever the fee was for Bruno Andrade, gave him a £200,000 signing bonus and 5k p/w, they don’t want anything close to a salary cap!


They will have to let him go then ( how can they pay that kind of money on 2800 gates !
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
User avatar
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:32 am
Location: Penzance , Cornwall

Re: Salary cap.

Postby Conker » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:52 pm

west country stag wrote:
Conker wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:One problem with a salary cap is that clubs with good contacts or relations with higher league clubs would probably have a an advantage when it comes to obtaining and using loan players. Salford City could stick to the salary cap of £1.5 million (unlikely!) but then use their contacts at Man Utd to sign up their young players on loan and pay a very small part of their wages. They could even receive the players for free as long as they play them. There is a danger of lower league clubs just becoming feeder clubs because they need cheap players to comply with the salary cap although this could happen now.

The EFL would need to have a rule that if you sign a player on loan then you are deemed for the purposes of the salary cap to be paying a certain percentage of that player's wages (10-25%) even if the club concerned is paying a lower amount.

Clubs with a higher income/turnover would start complaining if they were prevented from signing players due to the salary cap but clubs with a lower income/turnover were picking up quality loan players on the cheap.


Lol Salford paid whatever the fee was for Bruno Andrade, gave him a £200,000 signing bonus and 5k p/w, they don’t want anything close to a salary cap!


They will have to let him go then ( how can they pay that kind of money on 2800 gates !


£5 2800 gates, and it’s because they are owned by a billionaire.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Salary cap.

Postby oldweststander » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:48 pm

Not sure about the EFL deciding on salary caps, they can't even decide on a day to vote, we're at the third choice with tomorrow.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3550
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BELSE and 37 guests