{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Macclesfield ... now wound up

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Macclesfield Penalty

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:How can anyone feel for Stevenage? They won three games all season for crying out loud. If that doesn’t deserve relegation I don’t know what does.

But they did it within the regulations and paid all their staff on time.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:08 pm

https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-docu ... -final.pdf

The independent panel's full decision has released. They've admitted they didn't want to deduct enough points to relegate Macc.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:39 pm

WEAK
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:52 pm

eggy wrote:https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/200619---efl-v-macclesfield-town---decision_redacted-final.pdf

The independent panel's full decision has released. They've admitted they didn't want to deduct enough points to relegate Macc.

Good, the right decision, Stevenage absolutely deserved relegating. Only thing I would have done is relegate Macc too, but Stevenage absolutely had to go.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:16 pm

A few contradictory things in that report. The panel couldn't rely on the chairman's evidence but he wasn't lying? Does that mean he was a total incompetent who didn't know what he was doing or saying?

Why do they think he will be any better next year? This has all the hallmarks of another Bury and I can't see Mac completing next season.

When it comes down to it, Macclesfield cheated throughout the season by employing players they couldn't afford. If they didn't have those players how would they have faired? The fact they didn't pay them occasionally is only a means to an end in the disciplinary matters. They shouldn't have been there to pay in the first place. They employed more in January and should have been under an embargo.

As poor as Stevenage were, they did work within the rules and cheats should always come last. As the saying goes 'cheats should never prosper' and it should be Macclesfield who are relegated
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:51 pm

Rob wrote:
eggy wrote:https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/200619---efl-v-macclesfield-town---decision_redacted-final.pdf

Good, the right decision, Stevenage absolutely deserved relegating. Only thing I would have done is relegate Macc too, but Stevenage absolutely had to go.

No. If only one team goes, it should be Macc.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Definitely should be Macclesfield or do people forget they’ve literally survived by default. Cheats!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Rob wrote:

Can't say I agree that it's the right decision. Their actions warranted a stronger punishment, that much is universally accepted. If a stronger punishment is the difference between staying up and going down, that's your own fault for breaking the rules.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:19 pm

eggy wrote:
Rob wrote:

Can't say I agree that it's the right decision. Their actions warranted a stronger punishment, that much is universally accepted. If a stronger punishment is the difference between staying up and going down, that's your own fault for breaking the rules.

They had already been punished several times as per the rules set out at the start of the season. I don't disagree that Macc deserve to go down, but I dislike Stevenage based on living there for a while so want them to go down even more :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:42 pm

Rob wrote:
eggy wrote:
Rob wrote:

They had already been punished several times as per the rules set out at the start of the season. I don't disagree that Macc deserve to go down, but I dislike Stevenage based on living there for a while so want them to go down even more :D

They were punished several times because they broke the rules several times. The latest punishment was less severe because the panel took into account factors which they shouldn't have done (in my humble opinion).

If you only win three games and stay up because someone has less points than you, that's luck. Undeserved? Yes, but a part of sport.

If you break the rules but don't get the proper punishment because someone wants to go easy on you, it makes a mockery of having a set of defined rules in the first place.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:34 pm

eggy wrote:
Rob wrote:
eggy wrote:
Rob wrote:

They were punished several times because they broke the rules several times. The latest punishment was less severe because the panel took into account factors which they shouldn't have done (in my humble opinion).

If you only win three games and stay up because someone has less points than you, that's luck. Undeserved? Yes, but a part of sport.

If you break the rules but don't get the proper punishment because someone wants to go easy on you, it makes a mockery of having a set of defined rules in the first place.

Yep, fair enough Eggy, I don't dispute any of that. I've not looked into the rules but surely if the EFL have not followed the rules Stevenage will take legal action?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:16 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkstag » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:58 pm

Multiple offences should incur higher penalties surely
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:43 pm

Grimsby Town chairman says EFL should appeal decision over Macclesfield points deduction

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spor ... on-4281346
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:51 pm

I'm not surprised other clubs are upset as it will cost them all money next year when Macclesfield fold.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:38 am

Macc have got away with things if they continue like this.

Stevenage might have been crap but they did that in the regulations.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:04 am

Wish they’d just crack on and make a decision. The season is over now and we still don’t know who is going down. Everything seems to be a long process when the EFL are involved.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:37 am

BH_Stag wrote:Wish they’d just crack on and make a decision. The season is over now and we still don’t know who is going down. Everything seems to be a long process when the EFL are involved.

If the appeal is successful and Mac get a heavier points deduction this will run through the courts for a long time .. relegate them both
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:40 am

macc have already been told by the EFL they need to produce proof of funding and a business model by sometime in July.

Quite how you’re supposed to do that when you don’t know when the season is starting and whether you’re allowed fans through the gate is an interesting one.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:59 pm

The EFL will appeal against Macclesfield Town's two point deduction for failing to pay wages on time in March. Macclesfield say they are "shocked and profoundly disappointed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53278818
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:25 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Wish they’d just crack on and make a decision. The season is over now and we still don’t know who is going down. Everything seems to be a long process when the EFL are involved.

If the appeal is successful and Mac get a heavier points deduction this will run through the courts for a long time .. relegate them both

Pity they can’t !!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:46 pm

Cant we relegate both? how is promotion/relegation working this year regarding filling in for Bury?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Cant we relegate both? how is promotion/relegation working this year regarding filling in for Bury?

4 going up from L2, 3 coming down from L1.
1 down from L2, 2 up from the national league.
This will put both divisions back to 24 teams.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:21 pm

It’ll be Stevenage that go down.

If the punishment for macc has been delivered and is fair then that should be enough.

Looks like another case of where the EFL are trying to fob another club off due to their own incompetence.

Maybe if the EFL’s “fit and proper test” worked the problems at bury and Bolton wouldn’t have happened in the first place (appreciate the macc owner will have been in place before their promotion to the EFL)
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:37 pm

adamstag wrote:It’ll be Stevenage that go down.

If the punishment for macc has been delivered and is fair then that should be enough.

Looks like another case of where the EFL are trying to fob another club off due to their own incompetence.

Maybe if the EFL’s “fit and proper test” worked the problems at bury and Bolton wouldn’t have happened in the first place (appreciate the macc owner will have been in place before their promotion to the EFL)

That’s the thing. Many don’t think it is.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum