{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

League Two play offs

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: League Two play offs

Postby west country stag » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:33 pm

Love Exeter , but being a Stags fan living in Cornwall , its a local derby for me !
..... so come on you Cobblers !
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Red card for Exeter, was that a elbow by mccormack leading up to that tackle? Wouldn't surprise me he's a dirty git.

Looks like Northampton will have it wrapped up now
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:51 pm

All over now. Well done Northampton!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Nottsstag100 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:25 pm

4-0!!!
Nottsstag100
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:26 pm

Congratulations to Northampton. Not pretty to watch but completely bullied Exeter out of it, as they did Cheltenham. Shows how important good set pieces are.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby 88BenM » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:29 pm

And here ends the worst League 2 season I can remember for many years. I do believe our relegated side in 2008 would have challenged for promotion in this years division.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:41 pm

Paul Anderson promotion winner.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Callum Morton on loan from West Brom was excellent again and Man of match .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:47 pm

God I hate Curle
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:17 pm

bellwhiff wrote:God I hate Curle

We have almost nothing in common, thankfully, but on this we are agreed.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Paul Anderson promotion winner.

Paul Anderson made 17(1) league starts and scored one goal for the Cobblers. He made 24(9) league starts for the Stags in two seasons and scored one goal.

17 league starts is:
- more than Andy Cook, Craig Davies, Otis Khan, Jacob Mellis, Hayden White, Bobby Olejnik and Omari Sterling-James made for the Stags last season;
- more than Danny Rose, Craig Davies, Otis Khan, Alex MacDonald, Will Atkinson and Omari Sterling-James made for the Stags in 2018-2019
- more than Lee Angol, James Spencer, Calum Butcher, Will Atkinson, Alfie Potter, David Mirfin and Omari Sterling made for the Stags in 2017-2018
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:46 pm

Congratulations to Keith Curle on his first promotion. He's a strange bloke and has had his demons but he's worked hard as a lower league manager and deserves a bit of success.

He was an alcoholic when he was the Stags manager so having Hasloan as Chairman would not have helped. I'll always have some respect for him for standing his ground against Hasloan and successfully taking him on in the courts and winning his wrongful dismissal case.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Congratulations to Keith Curle on his first promotion. He's a strange bloke and has had his demons but he's worked hard as a lower league manager and deserves a bit of success.

He was an alcoholic when he was the Stags manager so having Hasloan as Chairman would not have helped. I'll always have some respect for him for standing his ground against Hasloan and successfully taking him on in the courts and winning his wrongful dismissal case.

I did wonder about that when he spat that champagne out that was sprayed in his face earlier & said he didn’t drink. Then said he would celebrate with a hot chocolate.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:23 pm

Keith Curle gave up drinking 6/7 years ago and I assume he still goes to AA meetings.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... ny-sansom/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Paul Anderson promotion winner.

Paul Anderson made 17(1) league starts and scored one goal for the Cobblers. He made 24(9) league starts for the Stags in two seasons and scored one goal.

17 league starts is:
- more than Andy Cook, Craig Davies, Otis Khan, Jacob Mellis, Hayden White, Bobby Olejnik and Omari Sterling-James made for the Stags last season;
- more than Danny Rose, Craig Davies, Otis Khan, Alex MacDonald, Will Atkinson and Omari Sterling-James made for the Stags in 2018-2019
- more than Lee Angol, James Spencer, Calum Butcher, Will Atkinson, Alfie Potter, David Mirfin and Omari Sterling made for the Stags in 2017-2018

And he’s still rubbish.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:31 pm

Paul Anderson is now a League 2 promotion winner and you can't take that away from him. He was a big disappointment for the Stags but he was badly treated by Flitcroft and Futcher. They should have kept him involved with the squad as he may have come in useful towards the end of the season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:43 pm

Congratulations to Nicky Adams as well. I think that's 6 promotions in total and 4 promotions in 6 seasons from League 2. I saw him on the pitch after the game filming himself on his phone camera. I wondered if he was sending another message to Ben Futcher. :lol:

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Paul Anderson is now a League 2 promotion winner and you can't take that away from him. He was a big disappointment for the Stags but he was badly treated by Flitcroft and Futcher. They should have kept him involved with the squad as he may have come in useful towards the end of the season.

Anderson was absolutely and utterly useless for us and on a big wage too. Barely a single person was asking for him to be in the team and to accuse DF and Futcher to have treated him badly is utter nonsense. He took a lot of money from MTFC and gave nothing back. His departure was marked with the lack of class he showed throughout his time here. A tool from the very top shelf.

Badly treated my a1rse!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:54 pm

He was FaceTiming the chairman in Florida. You could hear him mention about a 25% pay rise if you listen carefully enough :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:21 am

Northampton got gifted a chance and took it... We had two chances for promotion last year (1 point req from stevenage or mk dons & playoffs vs Newport) and blew them both. Good luck to them I say.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:48 am

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Paul Anderson is now a League 2 promotion winner and you can't take that away from him. He was a big disappointment for the Stags but he was badly treated by Flitcroft and Futcher. They should have kept him involved with the squad as he may have come in useful towards the end of the season.

Anderson was absolutely and utterly useless for us and on a big wage too. Barely a single person was asking for him to be in the team and to accuse DF and Futcher to have treated him badly is utter nonsense. He took a lot of money from MTFC and gave nothing back. His departure was marked with the lack of class he showed throughout his time here. A tool from the very top shelf.

Badly treated my a1rse!

Totally agree Rob. Constantly rubbish when he did play, and constantly moaning when he didn’t.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:24 am

Unless a player is pure poison then it's always poor man management (and a massive waste of the club's money) if a manager has to bomb a player out of a club. Paul Anderson did not come across to me as a wrong 'un and his crime was said to be suggesting to Flitcroft that he stick with Evans/Raynor's tactics in the last 12 games of the season in 2017-2018. He was right! :lol: Flitcroft made a terrible mess of those last 12 games and not only blew automatic promotion but the play offs as well.

If Flitcroft had kept Anderson in the squad in 2018-2019 then he might have done a better job than Jorge Grant or not had to play Alex MacDonald as a right wing back at Franchise FC. Who knows? Your squad players do become very important towards the end of the season and do give the manager a few more options. It's a good man management skill to try and keep players on board even though they may not be in the first team just in case you need them.

Lots of other football managers are guilty of bombing players out including Paul Cox and Keith Curle.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:24 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Congratulations to Nicky Adams as well. I think that's 6 promotions in total and 4 promotions in 6 seasons from League 2.

Nicky Adams is one of the best crossers in the lower leagues, if not the best. Was interesting to see the stat that he has more assists this season than any other player other than Kevin de Bruyne.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Kernow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

I prefer the away day to Exeter, rather than the cold wecolme at Northampton.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:40 am

They'll come straight back down on record low points you watch
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum