{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Manager

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:03 am

stagmanrob wrote:Can only judge him once it has fully got his stamp on the squad really.

Must be more to the story where Pearce is concerned, he's been consistently one of the best in this division normally you wouldn't let him go.

Can't see us being a team that will easily roll over and have our bellies tickled, but at the same time I think it will come as a compromise with us being pleasing on the eye.

Next season he will have almost entirely his own squad, we had the option on most players and we do not have the Evans hangover of over-paid, under-performing players. I don't think we have retained anyone we didn't want to. As long as we progress from last season then fair enough, I suspect mid-table for us next season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:31 am

Rob wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:Can only judge him once it has fully got his stamp on the squad really.

Must be more to the story where Pearce is concerned, he's been consistently one of the best in this division normally you wouldn't let him go.

Can't see us being a team that will easily roll over and have our bellies tickled, but at the same time I think it will come as a compromise with us being pleasing on the eye.

Next season he will have almost entirely his own squad, we had the option on most players and we do not have the Evans hangover of over-paid, under-performing players. I don't think we have retained anyone we didn't want to. As long as we progress from last season then fair enough, I suspect mid-table for us next season.

If we do finish mid table, I hope we don't sack coughlan. We'll never get anywhere giving a manager one shot at promotion and then offing him if it's not achieved. It's not sustainable and we'll be in a constant state of rebuild.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:29 pm

I think we should be good enough to make the play offs. Anything more will be a bonus.

However, it all rests on who we sign for our midfield.

For a number of years this has been our weakness
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Think we need a better striker.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:38 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Think we need a better striker.

Agree
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:43 pm

Reckon everything regarding a new striker will depend on someone taking Cook, maybe a season long loan?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:52 pm

oldweststander wrote:Reckon everything regarding a new striker will depend on someone taking Cook, maybe a season long loan?

Can't see many teams wanting to pay a fee for a player after the virus situation and clubs losing a lot of money, could be wrong but you might be right in a loan rather than a purchase
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:59 pm

Well he is our player ,if nobody pays ,nobody gets ,simple really if cooke wants to go thats his perogative ,but its in mtfc,s hands
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:15 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:I’m more confident with GC than I ever was with JD and even DF.

Based on what ? DF got us to fourth from top, GC got us fourth from bottom.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:I’m more confident with GC than I ever was with JD and even DF.

Interesting comparison to be done.

DF first 12 games as manager (a side in the play-offs and challenging for autos) - 12pts
GC first 12 games as manager (suffering in the bottom third of the league) - 10pts

Not too much difference and given the quality of players at their disposal you would probably say GC had the better start, although neither covered themselves in glory

DF final 12 games (having had two transfer windows and a full pre-season, having done brilliantly in the first half of the season) - 15pts
GC final 12 games (no pre-season, offloading players who didn’t want to be here) - 14pts

Again, not too much difference here.

GC 19 games taken charge of Bristol Rovers after a full pre-season (lower half budget for the league) - 34pts
DF 19 games taken charge of us in 18/19 season after a full pre-season (at the very least top 6 budget, probably higher) - 32pts

GC with a far better job here given respective expectations.

There are two big differences I suppose. The first is that Rovers were performing without expectation, so we’re able to go under the radar and utilise as underdog mentality. There was no expectation on them to play pretty football so no huge pressure from fans against style of play etc. Flitcroft had to deal with project promotion and smash the league and expectation of fans. Whilst our expectations as fans may be a little lower this season, fans from other clubs have already started the ‘moneybags Mansfield’ stuff given our early activity in the market.

The other difference is that GC has no track record of achievement, whereas Flitcroft had been there and done it before.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:14 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

DF first 12 games as manager (a side in the play-offs and challenging for autos) - 12pts
GC first 12 games as manager (suffering in the bottom third of the league) - 10pts

Not too much difference and given the quality of players at their disposal you would probably say GC had the better start, although neither covered themselves in glory

DF final 12 games (having had two transfer windows and a full pre-season, having done brilliantly in the first half of the season) - 15pts
GC final 12 games (no pre-season, offloading players who didn’t want to be here) - 14pts

GC 19 games taken charge of Bristol Rovers after a full pre-season (lower half budget for the league) - 34pts
DF 19 games taken charge of us in 18/19 season after a full pre-season (at the very least top 6 budget, probably higher) - 32pts

There are two big differences I suppose. The first is that Rovers were performing without expectation, so we’re able to go under the radar and utilise as underdog mentality. There was no expectation on them to play pretty football so no huge pressure from fans against style of play etc. Flitcroft had to deal with project promotion and smash the league and expectation of fans. Whilst our expectations as fans may be a little lower this season, fans from other clubs have already started the ‘moneybags Mansfield’ stuff given our early activity in the market.

The other difference is that GC has no track record of achievement, whereas Flitcroft had been there and done it before.

You can quote all stats you want, Andy will never get over DF going.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Dempster got us 4th from bottom
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:29 pm

The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

:lol: :lol: That's so true. Andy's like a teenager who has lost his first love :D

Great stats there Musings, and let's not forget that GC did it in a higher division too with Brizzle.

The way I see Flitcroft is the same way I see Curle. Both managers failed with the sides they had at their disposal & both should've got us automatic promotion.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Dan wrote:
The One wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

:lol: :lol: That's so true. Andy's like a teenager who has lost his first love :D

Great stats there Musings, and let's not forget that GC did it in a higher division too with Brizzle.

The way I see Flitcroft is the same way I see Curle. Both managers failed with the sides they had at their disposal & both should've got us automatic promotion.

Curle also managed our relegation from League 1 and was best mates with Haslam Dan :lol: I obviously don't agree with you on DF but I think that has been done to death now. Mid table next season, any better then GC will have done a good job.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:44 pm

Yes that's true. But you can't deny that both managers failed with the teams they'd got surely?!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:30 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Your last paragraph is so relevant.

I just don't understand what cassellswasmagic is basing his optimism on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Dan wrote:Yes that's true. But you can't deny that both managers failed with the teams they'd got surely?!

I think Curle had the most talented squad we have had since the 70's, I think DF had a strong squad but had a few high earners who contributed nothing. I think the end of the season was a huge disappointment and yes a failure, but it still remains the most entertained I've been for a very, very long time and we were only a point off. Who knows that free from Evans dead weight what we'd have done this season - we'll never know Dan. What we do know is what happened after we sacked him.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:50 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Well I assume it’s what the rest of my post shows, that there hasn’t been much difference between the two.

Neither of the leagues top two managers this season had a track record of achieving anything either.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:49 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:All ill add is... please drop this expectation that a new manager, his own players will equal promotion in one season and anything less is a failure.

You just know if we're not in the top 7 after 5 games people will start calling for GC's head :lol:

Everyone to their own opinion and all that.

But I do like listening to some of our seasoned experts, who are adamant they're right as always, but somehow forget the dozens of times they weren't ;)

The life of a football fan eh? :D
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:56 am

Amber Andy wrote:

Ridiculous post. And so in character
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:02 am

spanishstag wrote:Well he is our player ,if nobody pays ,nobody gets ,simple really if cooke wants to go thats his perogative ,but its in mtfc,s hands

We might mutually agree to terminate the contract.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 am

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:Yes that's true. But you can't deny that both managers failed with the teams they'd got surely?!

I think Curle had the most talented squad we have had since the 70's, I think DF had a strong squad but had a few high earners who contributed nothing. I think the end of the season was a huge disappointment and yes a failure, but it still remains the most entertained I've been for a very, very long time and we were only a point off. Who knows that free from Evans dead weight what we'd have done this season - we'll never know Dan. What we do know is what happened after we sacked him.

Rob your mate Curle on football focus at 12 50
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:25 am

The One wrote:
Rob wrote:

Can't wait :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Rob wrote:
The One wrote:
Rob wrote:

Can't wait :lol:

Wasn't worth the wait.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:20 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Nor do I - but it’s equally strange the comparison you made, despite knowing the situation GC came in to the club.
Conker
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum