{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Manager

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:26 am

With the quality of players going, eg Maynard and Pearce and last season performances. Do you still have faith in Graham. Me the jury is out.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Re: Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:32 am

Kernow wrote:With the quality of players going, eg Maynard and Pearce and last season performances. Do you still have faith in Graham. Me the jury is out.

Proof will be in the pudding this coming season he will have his team his training his tactics let’s just hope he hits the ground running .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:38 am

I have much more faith now than I had this time last year!

I quite like the signings he had made so.far and we are being rumoured to bring in some very solid players for our level.

The team will definitely be stronger, fitter and more disciplined Nathan last season.

My only concern is that the football might not be very pleasing on the eye and even if we are successful he might get the Paul Cox treatment.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:I have much more faith now than I had this time last year!

I quite like the signings he had made so.far and we are being rumoured to bring in some very solid players for our level.

The team will definitely be stronger, fitter and more disciplined Nathan last season.

My only concern is that the football might not be very pleasing on the eye and even if we are successful he might get the Paul Cox treatment.

Weve had different managers playing different systems since the Radford's starting pumping money in from Evans getting the ball forward quickly, to flitcroft trying to play out from the back and neither achieved anything for us. I couldn't care on the style now as long as it gets results.

I definitely feel more optimistic about this season than I did last season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:07 am

One thing to bear in mind is that both teams he has managed so far were in a relegation scrap. Very rarely you’ll see a team in trouble try and play nice football. The second season with Bristol Rovers he had them up their competing. The style was reportedly not great and I don’t think it will be here either. However, he now has a big budget for the league and will attract better players for the level, so there is the possibly his style may change.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:12 am

Kernow wrote:With the quality of players going, eg Maynard and Pearce and last season performances. Do you still have faith in Graham. Me the jury is out.

If the players gone were that high quality we'd be in league 1 now, so they weren't that good IMO.

I have faith, under GC we sussed out top teams (Plymouth, Bradford, Cheltenham) tactically but missed chances. Which under a lot of previous managers we've struggled to find ways to beat top sides and got out-thought.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:12 am

First sly shots fired and its early June...

The first I told you so post to look back to i suppose.....

Cleared the dead wood and bottle jobs

1 decent signing
1 brilliant signing

So far so good for me.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:25 am

Didn't realise Maynard had gone?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:52 am

Wait and see.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:06 am

I feel confident in the manager & the type of players he’s signed , hard working & no nonsense.
I prefer that to the so called flair players we’ve had that don’t try
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:13 am

Sooooooo Stagsnet.

This place.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:15 am

On the fence, but Jan to March didn't have me seeing him as the second coming.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:22 am

I for one think this is a ridiculous post.

Over the last couple of seasons we have no idea what has gone off behind the scenes
commitement levels of the players, efforts in training etc etc.

Am i sad to see Pearce go Yes - however there will be reason for it, and as mentioned some of these players have been through a lot at this club.

My only really regretful departure is White, but is his injury too much?

I aslo think we'll see an electric CJ hamilton next season
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:31 am

For all his quality and there is no doubt Maynard is, he never looked happy or particularly bothered when playing, the same could be said for Pearce under Dempster.

Just me but I never warmed to Maynard for that reason and I don’t think he enjoyed his time at MTFC, for that reason alone I’m not to bothered he has / will go.

Hopefully we will replace him with quality and passion / desire to be here
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:04 am

I like the manager. I really DIDN'T like the last manager.

Dempster has set us back years in terms.of progress, whether that was down to him or the board is a different question.

Coughlan now has the opportunity to clear out the old guard (who some still hold in very high esteem even though they got 2 managers sacked and finished 21st!). He has/is clearing the decks and seems to have a philosophy and a plan.

I am happy with.whats happening and I'll happily watch solid, workmanlike winning football if that's what's on offer, which I think it will be...
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:05 am

It was obvious by the way Maynard was constantly substituted that the manager was not happy with him even though he was putting the effort in and trying to fit into the managers 'style'. Maynard is at his most dangerous in the last 15 - 20 minutes of the game but rarely played in that period under GC. I'm not surprised he's looking elsewhere as I don't think the football will change a deal this year.

His body language said it all as he was constantly substituted while less effective tired players stayed on.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:31 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It was obvious by the way Maynard was constantly substituted that the manager was not happy with him even though he was putting the effort in and trying to fit into the managers 'style'. Maynard is at his most dangerous in the last 15 - 20 minutes of the game but rarely played in that period under GC. I'm not surprised he's looking elsewhere as I don't think the football will change a deal this year.

His body language said it all as he was constantly substituted while less effective tired players stayed on.

It’s not true to say he rarely played in the last 20 minutes of matches, or that he was constantly substituted. Maynard played the last 20 minutes of games 10 times out of 15 under GC. He was only substituted 5 times, as follows below. In fact he was specifically brought on for the last 20 minutes in 3 of those 15 games. It is true to say he had an impact whilst on the pitch though. We dropped 4 points after he had been taken off, and gained one point after he had been brought on.

Bradford (H) - came off when 2-0 up in 74th minute, won 3-0
Oldham (A) - came off when 2-0 down in 51st minute, lost 3-1
Carlisle (H) - came off when 2-1 up in the 88th minute, drew 2-2
Morecambe (A) - came off when 1-0 up in 76th minute, drew 1-1
Northampton (A) - came off when 2-0 up in the 82nd minute, won 2-1

Of the 7 full games he did play, we won 6 points from a possible 21. He scored four goals in full games, three in one game at Cambridge.

Of the 12 games he started, we got 14 points from a possible 36. He scored 7 goals.

We didn’t win any league game which Maynard did not start.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:36 pm

I’m more confident with GC than I ever was with JD and even DF.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:09 pm

All ill add is... please drop this expectation that a new manager, his own players will equal promotion in one season and anything less is a failure.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:41 pm

Sedgwick wrote:All ill add is... please drop this expectation that a new manager, his own players will equal promotion in one season and anything less is a failure.

You just know if we're not in the top 7 after 5 games people will start calling for GC's head :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:34 pm

As an expert on fifa taking stags to the champions league title, premier league championship and FA cup I’d say give him a chance
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:08 pm

He’s not really had long enough to judge, the only way alarm bells would be ringing is if you come in and having a shocker of the remainder of the season - eg flitcroft.

He speaks a good game and seems to have managed to bring in a decent Calibre of player, seems very no nonsense which I like.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 pm

I think its been covered by other posts already but
1) next season is going to be like no other, so many unknowns. I’m hopeful we can take advantage but we have to limit what we expect.
2) talk of the quality of players but we’ve fallen short 2 years in a row so I’m not too fussed.
3) I’m confident Coughlan brining in his own players will make us more competitive than last season, for one I expect the team to be disciplined and match fit for the start of the season!
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:34 pm

Jimstag wrote:I think its been covered by other posts already but
1) next season is going to be like no other, so many unknowns. I’m hopeful we can take advantage but we have to limit what we expect.
2) talk of the quality of players but we’ve fallen short 2 years in a row so I’m not too fussed.
3) I’m confident Coughlan brining in his own players will make us more competitive than last season, for one I expect the team to be disciplined and match fit for the start of the season!

It will be nice to not have a boat load of players who have chucked away two amazing chances of getting a promotion on their CV. I think the fresh start will do us good
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:05 am

Can only judge him once it has fully got his stamp on the squad really.

Must be more to the story where Pearce is concerned, he's been consistently one of the best in this division normally you wouldn't let him go.

Can't see us being a team that will easily roll over and have our bellies tickled, but at the same time I think it will come as a compromise with us being pleasing on the eye.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum