{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Macclesfield ... now wound up

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Macclesfield Penalty

Postby Sneag » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:06 am

tinman wrote:I remember in the mid 70's after the final whistle at the Stags going down to Leeming Street and watching final results in the shop window :lol:

Quick sprint to Wigfalls. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Sneag wrote:
tinman wrote:I remember in the mid 70's after the final whistle at the Stags going down to Leeming Street and watching final results in the shop window :lol:

Or Vallances
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:08 pm

The One wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Or Vallances

Also remember that well, and being done over In doorway by Sheff Utd fans and having my scarf knicked....ee they were the days :lol:
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jimstag » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:52 pm

Guilty and 2 point deduction, quite convenient.

So that means Stevenage are down.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:02 pm

Excellent, another north-west team

With tranmere, Macclesfield, Salford, Oldham, Bolton, Morecambe, Carlisle, barrow it’s pretty handy if you live up this way :lol:

That’s before the easy trips to Bradford and port vale
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:28 pm

from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53028810

League Two: Macclesfield deducted points but avoid relegation

Macclesfield Town will remain in the English Football League despite a two-point deduction for breaches of regulations over non-payment of wages.

A deduction of three points or more by an independent panel would have seen the Silkmen drop below Stevenage and be relegated into the National League.

The decision leaves Macclesfield 23rd in League Two after the application of the points per game formula agreed by clubs earlier this month.

They have also been fined £20,000.

As well as being ordered to cover payment of the legal costs related to the latest hearing, the Silkmen have been given an additional four-point penalty, but that is suspended for the 2020-21 season.

The punishment relates to late payment of wages for March and it is the third time Macclesfield have been deducted points during the 2019-20 campaign.

December 2019: A 10-point deduction, with four suspended, for non-payment of salaries and failing to fulfil a fixture against Crewe. In March, this was reduced to a seven-point penalty with three suspended after Macclesfield appealed.

May 2020: A seven-point deduction for failing to play a match against Plymouth and non-payment of wages, including the suspended three points from the first case being applied to the second punishment.

Stevenage's only hope of a reprieve now is if the National League is unable to assure the EFL Board that their 2020-21 season is able to go ahead.

Discussions are ongoing to confirm that the relegated club from League Two has somewhere to play next season.

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:35 pm

There's still the following additional possibility for Stevenage. After the Bury fiasco last season, the EFL might take early action to chuck Macclesfield out and bring Stevenage back in.

"Macclesfield must deliver a "professionally prepared business plan to the EFL, seeking to demonstrate sustainable financial resources and management to be put in place for next season and beyond" by 31 July."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:40 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:There's still the following additional possibility for Stevenage. After the Bury fiasco last season, the EFL might take early action to chuck Macclesfield out and bring Stevenage back in.

"Macclesfield must deliver a "professionally prepared business plan to the EFL, seeking to demonstrate sustainable financial resources and management to be put in place for next season and beyond" by 31 July."

The only sensible question to ask given they struggled to pay the wages when they had an income.

I read an article that rumoured clubs were discussing that all owners be guarantors if clubs couldn’t pay wages.

Edit. Found the link:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -vote.html
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:15 am

Macc should be relegated.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:48 am

Total bottle job. How convenient to give a two point deduction. The EFL have no backbone at all. Stevenage should seek legal advice and Macclesfield should be thrown out!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:56 am

I feel for Stevenage, Macclesfield have habitually broken the rules all year and should have been removed from the league. I think they will end up being removed at the beginning of the season.

There is only room for one MTFC.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:42 pm

london amber stag wrote:I feel for Stevenage, Macclesfield have habitually broken the rules all year and should have been removed from the league. I think they will end up being removed at the beginning of the season.

Shades of Bury last year ?
Did Stevenage feel sorry for us ?
Stevenage have been garbage this season and deserve to go down.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:43 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Total bottle job. How convenient to give a two point deduction. The EFL have no backbone at all. Stevenage should seek legal advice and Macclesfield should be thrown out!!!

Totally agree, the EFL bottle it every time
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:59 pm

How can anyone feel for Stevenage? They won three games all season for crying out loud. If that doesn’t deserve relegation I don’t know what does.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:20 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:How can anyone feel for Stevenage? They won three games all season for crying out loud. If that doesn’t deserve relegation I don’t know what does.

I don’t feel sorry for anyone. I hope Notts and Chesterfield never come back up, I could not care less about any other team but ours, however Macclesfield should be thrown out like Bury were. Simple as that. The EFL know it too, but they are bottlers !!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:03 pm

It needs finishing and then move on.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:55 pm

Jimstag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:There's still the following additional possibility for Stevenage. After the Bury fiasco last season, the EFL might take early action to chuck Macclesfield out and bring Stevenage back in.

The only sensible question to ask given they struggled to pay the wages when they had an income.

I read an article that rumoured clubs were discussing that all owners be guarantors if clubs couldn’t pay wages.

Edit. Found the link:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -vote.html

It’s the daily mail, don’t worry it’ll be bull
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:35 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Macc should be relegated.

Independent Arbitration panel says they shouldn’t .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:41 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
london amber stag wrote:I feel for Stevenage, Macclesfield have habitually broken the rules all year and should have been removed from the league. I think they will end up being removed at the beginning of the season.

Shades of Bury last year ?
Did Stevenage feel sorry for us ?
Stevenage have been garbage this season and deserve to go down.

I agree Dave, they were the worst team in the league by a mile and should be relegated regardless of what happens to Macclesfield. As Musings said, these wasters won three games all season and now bleat that their relegation is unfair. Get them gone.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Update from Stevenage Chairman, Phil Wallace.

Stevenage Chairman Phil Wallace remains philosophical after hearing the decision on the Macclesfield charges late on Friday evening. "It is what it is," he said. "We will be looking closely at that with our legal advisors this coming week when we see the reasons and we will have to see where it goes from there. Is it over? No, it’s most definitely not.

"Looking at our own situation, it has been a horrendous season from just about every perspective with certain distractions to the season unforeseeable, but what has gone ihas gone. We know what went wrong, we know the mistakes made and from now on we only look forwards, with a determination never to be in this position again.

"But I have to be honest and admit we have a huge financial hurdle to overcome when we get back playing, no matter which league we are in. It will just be a much bigger hurdle with relegation. We will continue to fight, but if we are relegated by artificial means, then it won’t be for the want of trying to ensure fair play and sporting integrity. However, if relegation happens then we will take our place in the National League and focus on being an exemplary member of that League, whilst trying to regain our EFL status. I have lost all the sleep I am going to lose over a forced, artificial relegation and I am now focused on the fact that I had 10 good years in the Conference (now National League) so I have absolutely no problem embracing that again. The crucial thing is that we get winning back in our Stevenage DNA again, whether that is in League Two or the National League and that we stay as one team – directors, management, players and fans.

"Our signings this season will have to be staggered as we have no idea when we will start playing again, but we have pencilled 1st August as our date to resume training for a 12th September start to the 2020/21 season. "That move will be costly if we have to embrace the testing protocols and bring our players and staff back from furlough without income. To be frank, I am not sure we have the funds to survive for long if we are forced to play matches with no income. We will need all the help we can get from our fans and the Stevenage community to ensure our Club survives this crisis. We are OK for the moment, but the crunch time will come when furlough is no longer available, as that is our only source of income right now."

https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2020/j ... june-2020/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:29 pm

I don't think you can fault a word of that statement.

I've said all along that it is unfair to relegate anyone when only three quarters of the season has been played not to mention the financial basket case that is Macclesfield

I find the statement to be both dignified and inspiring. If only everyone involved in football were so honest and fair.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don't think you can fault a word of that statement.

I've said all along that it is unfair to relegate anyone when only three quarters of the season has been played not to mention the financial basket case that is Macclesfield

I find the statement to be both dignified and inspiring. If only everyone involved in football were so honest and fair.

What's dignified about being the totally shittiest team in the league but not abiding by the decision and the legal battle is "not over" to save his pathetic team by default. Is JR mounting a legal battle cos Bury weren't deducted points too and cost us promotion, that was dignified, accept it.

Your idea of dignified is totally different to mine :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don't think you can fault a word of that statement.

What's dignified about being the totally shittiest team in the league but not abiding by the decision and the legal battle is "not over" to save his pathetic team by default. Is JR mounting a legal battle cos Bury weren't deducted points too and cost us promotion, that was dignified, accept it.

If you have to ask what's dignified, you obviously don't understand the word.

He hasn't raved or ranted but merely stated that he will explore all legal avenues to right an obvious wrong. If all else fails and they end up in the national league, Stevenage will try their hardest to regain league status by success on the pitch. He accepts that they are at the bottom through their own shortcomings even though Macclesfield have effectively cheated by spending money they clearly don't have.

A dignified battle does not mean giving in and accepting whatever is thrown at you and he is showing fight and backbone. How are Macclesfield any different from Bury? They've both overspent to the point of bankruptcy and cheated their way to winning football matches and should be the first out of the door. It's the financial equivalent of athletes taking performance enhancing drugs and then complaining when they get caught.

Cheats should always come last.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:40 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

If you have to ask what's dignified, you obviously don't understand the word.

He hasn't raved or ranted but merely stated that he will explore all legal avenues to right an obvious wrong. If all else fails and they end up in the national league, Stevenage will try their hardest to regain league status by success on the pitch. He accepts that they are at the bottom through their own shortcomings even though Macclesfield have effectively cheated by spending money they clearly don't have.

A dignified battle does not mean giving in and accepting whatever is thrown at you and he is showing fight and backbone. How are Macclesfield any different from Bury? They've both overspent to the point of bankruptcy and cheated their way to winning football matches and should be the first out of the door. It's the financial equivalent of athletes taking performance enhancing drugs and then complaining when they get caught.

Cheats should always come last.

Once again, did JR spout all over the press about the Bury debacle with legal threats etc.
You cant compare Macclesfield and Bury but not compare JR and Wallace to justify your idea of dignified.
Ill leave it at that and we'll agree to differ.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:28 pm

Ours was a totally different situation to Stevenage and doesn't even come close to being comparable.

Bury hadn't been charged or come close to it until the end of the season and close season even. Macclesfield have been at it all year and even signed more players in January when they couldn't pay the ones they'd already got.

By the time Bury fell to bits it was too late to alter things. I don't remember any attempt to fight by JR but that doesn't mean it was dignified just fatalistic.

As you say, we will agree to differ.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum