{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Alex MacDonald interview

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Alex MacDonald interview

Postby Conker » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:43 pm

Steve Evans putting him at centre mid and Flitcroft keeping him in that position always baffled me, a centre mid who cannot pass?

Although It was a better positional move than right back at the promotion deciding game against MK Dons - I wonder if Flitcroft can finally admit that was mental, especially considering his reasoning was because he's played right wing for the majority of his career :lol:

No doubt Macca always gave his all for Mansfield though, and he's definitely good enough to do a job at L2.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:13 pm

Conker wrote:Steve Evans putting him at centre mid and Flitcroft keeping him in that position always baffled me, a centre mid who cannot pass?

Although It was a better positional move than right back at the promotion deciding game against MK Dons - I wonder if Flitcroft can finally admit that was mental, especially considering his reasoning was because he's played right wing for the majority of his career :lol:

No doubt Macca always gave his all for Mansfield though, and he's definitely good enough to do a job at L2.

you say he can't pass, watch the equaliser Zander diamond scored against the raspberry ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Old amber » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:43 pm

Good on ya Macca.. good battler on the pitch and what we would call a “ bread & butter “ player in the old days
Thanks for your time at the stags. Take care and best to your family
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:06 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Conker wrote:Steve Evans putting him at centre mid and Flitcroft keeping him in that position always baffled me, a centre mid who cannot pass?

you say he can't pass, watch the equaliser Zander diamond scored against the raspberry ;)

You mean the hail Mary sling it in the box cross?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

It was still a cross that resulted in a goal ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:29 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Stop winking as though you've proved your point.
Conker said a CM who couldn't pass, come up with a 'pass' that resulted in a goal, even if you do or don't you won't find many considering he's been here a long time.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:41 pm

He could whip a good cross in but his passing was very league two standard.

Says alot when your best assett is work rate.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:42 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Conker said a CM who couldn't pass, come up with a 'pass' that resulted in a goal, even if you do or don't you won't find many considering he's been here a long time.

Stop telling me what to do ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:33 am

you say he can't pass, watch the equaliser Zander diamond scored against the raspberry ;)[/quote]

You mean the hail Mary sling it in the box cross?[/quote]

It was still a cross that resulted in a goal ;)[/quote]

Conker said a CM who couldn't pass, come up with a 'pass' that resulted in a goal, even if you do or don't you won't find many considering he's been here a long time.[/quote]

Stop telling me what to do ;)[/quote]

No need your mummy and daddy still do that ;)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:36 pm

88BenM wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Who were the league 1 club ?

It was Gillingham. Chances are, he will end up with them. From what I was told, he stayed after GC promised him that he would be here beyond the end of the season. Obviously a number of factors have come into play since January, so GC's position on him has changed for one reason or another.

Knowledge :lol:
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:41 pm

Nothing but admiration for alex ,gave his all
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Always gave his all, whatever was asked of him. Though one persons great player is another persons liability.

Thanks for the goal at Coventry and those shots in the Scotsman Bar in Malta.

Good luck, though not too much as I would hate to see Chinese Steve do well and best wishes for you career.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:37 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

wow one cross out of how many???
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Everyone loved him when we played away at Coventry.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Billy the fish » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:37 pm

So fickle are some he gave 100% you can’t ask for much more , good luck to him
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:49 pm

Billy the fish wrote:So fickle are some he gave 100% you can’t ask for much more , good luck to him

You can, that’s why we’ve moved him on.

He’s a workhorse that never stops, nobody can question that, but he gave the ball away far too often and his goals/assist output wasn’t great. Had some good games for us though and scored one of the best goals we’ve seen over recent years so wish him well, Gillingham is a good move for him.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:30 pm

I always liked Alex MacDonald. He was excellent in 2017-2018. His fantastic goal away at Coventry City will live long in the memory. It was a shame he got injured after signing his new 2 year deal in June 2018. He probably became one of our big earners at that stage. It was great he signed a new deal because we all expected him to join Steve Evans at Peterborough. You could never fault his work rate and his "hustle and bustle" but his distribution and lack of creativity let him down at times. He also did not score many goals for someone who Steve Evans originally signed as an attacking midfield player. Lack of goals from midfield cost the Stags dearly in 17/18 and 18/19. We did not really need him as a central midfield player once we had signed Neal Bishop as they were both doing the same job and Neal Bishop had a great season in 2018-2019.

I was very surprised he was released though as I thought he was a GC type of player with running 11-12k per game and lots of pressing. Perhaps GC decided that he wanted more bang for his buck.

There were rumours that Lincoln City wanted to sign him at one stage and that they had bid money for him.

League Appearances
2016-2017 13(5) 1 Goal
2017-2018 40(1) 3 Goals
2018-2019 13(8) 1 Goal
2019-2020 27(2) 1 Goal

Good luck Alex
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:52 pm

Amazing how the players the stagsnet experts do not rate finish in a league above .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:04 pm

daddycool wrote:Amazing how the players the stagsnet experts do not rate finish in a league above .

Two words : salary cap
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:39 pm

Think the move into midfield made him think he was a different player to what he was. He was highly rated as a winger at Oxford with good delivery, but for me never had the guile and mind of a midfielder.

His goal return for a midfielder was poor ,but he wasn’t alone in that, which is an area we have struggled with for a while. I wish him all the best but I’m not gutted to lose him.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:01 am

I think the bulking up he did in the gym was his downfall too.
That coupled with his injury made him appear far more slow and sluggish even though his work rate and fitness was still there.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:31 am

I was sorry to see him go. He was regularly top of the "successful pass" stats after matches last season, and top on possession too. He seemed to divide opinion though. I remember one match where I thought he was running the show, the post match stats showed him by far the best on passes and possession, and yet some people thought that he had barely touched the ball. Baffled me.
I suppose that people don't value passing midfielders and expect them to score a lot. But he was also the one who intercepted loose balls in front of the defence and restarted forward moves. A lot of his passing was simple as well, so maybe people only notice the more dramatic passes.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:06 am

You watched a very different McDonald to me Bradders.

His passing was woeful. Often he would place his pass behind the receiver and stop any forward momentum we had, or he would launch an ill thought out cross field pass which would be cut out by the opposition who regularly used the opportunity to counter attack from it.

Passing volume does not equal passing quality of and Macca consistently showed this.

His work rate was excellent, but his positional play was terrible. He charged around the pitch like a bull In na China shop and often let huge spaces in the midfield for the opposition to get at our back four.

He was a good winger but poor central midfielder and considering his wages, I think releasing him was the right decision.

He always came across as a really decent bloke though and I wish him every success at the Gills
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:26 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:You watched a very different McDonald to me Bradders.

His passing was woeful. Often he would place his pass behind the receiver and stop any forward momentum we had, or he would launch an ill thought out cross field pass which would be cut out by the opposition who regularly used the opportunity to counter attack from it.

Passing volume does not equal passing quality of and Macca consistently showed this.

His work rate was excellent, but his positional play was terrible. He charged around the pitch like a bull In na China shop and often let huge spaces in the midfield for the opposition to get at our back four.

He was a good winger but poor central midfielder and considering his wages, I think releasing him was the right decision.

He always came across as a really decent bloke though and I wish him every success at the Gills

The stats detailed successful passes, not just attempts, and he was consistently top. I did note that some people clearly didn't like his style of play, and picked on the occasional misplaced pass as if it was the only time he attempted a pass. My theory is that people simply don't notice short accurate passing at all. He's not a Premier League player, and even they occasionally misjudge an ambitious pass, so no surprise that such a busy player sometimes gets it wrong. But you have to balance that against the good work that he did most of the time, even if you didn't notice at the time and had to refer to the stats.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:41 am

The issue with him for me was, that despite working incredibly hard for every second he was on the pitch, his charging around unsettled and unbalanced the midfield.
His positional discipline was not good and it put pressure on the other players which included a 37 year old Neal Bishop and other midfielders who were often unable to backfill.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum