{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What do we think a league 2 player should earn a week

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

What do we think a league 2 player should earn a week

Postby spanishstag » Sat May 30, 2020 4:08 pm

Hypothetical question ,in todays climate what are peoples opinions on wages for league two players ,must admit having left the uk 10 years ago im a bit i the dark re monetary issues ,a grand a week or is that too much ,just checking
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Re: What do we think a league 2 player should earn a week

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat May 30, 2020 4:54 pm

According to the AGM in 2018, the club turnover for the 16/17 season was £2.6million.

I think FFP is for League 2 clubs to spend no more than 55% of turnover on wages, just over £1.4 million

Average £1000 per week for 20 players = 1,040,000. Add approx 30 percent for on costs equals 1,320,000.

I'd like the club to be cautious, so think that if the players wages average £850 per week for a squad of 20 then that should be affordable and leave enough in the kitty for no playing staff wages etc.

All very much back of a fag packet, but we definitely need to be sensible with wages, which i don't think we have been over the last few seasons.

Of course any such approach will rely upon some fringe players and youngsters stepping up to the plate if we want to complete for promotion.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun May 31, 2020 8:06 am

Players will earn as much as a Chairman or Director of Football is wise enough or daft enough to pay them.

Here ends today’s lesson in football economics.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun May 31, 2020 8:44 am

In today’s climate most might be lucky to get the average weekly wage. I think that’s around £450 after tax. I would say double that for a decent league two footballer wouldn’t be bad. I’d snap your hand off to play for the Stags and be on either of those amounts :P
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 31, 2020 12:59 pm

I bet there’s not many of last seasons squad on less than 1200 a week minimum.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 31, 2020 1:30 pm

Hopefully the new DOF and GC will use Radfords finances more wisely and give us something to show for his money.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun May 31, 2020 3:23 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Players will earn as much as a Chairman or Director of Football is wise enough or daft enough to pay them.

Not if new rules are enforced ,and i mean properly ,
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun May 31, 2020 3:31 pm

A league 2 player should be on whatever the owners deem appropriate.

If we had salary caps then the second a league 1 club is interested in our player they'd want a move for more money. Mental health in footballers would worsen because if they have to drop down a league they could end up with a pay cut and financial trouble.

If they want a salary cap then what they need to do is allow x amount of players per team to be over this cap.

I know the proposals were the league 1 cap was double that of league 2. That would remove some of the competitiveness between the leagues. What if a club gets relegated and are over league 2 limits? There'd have to be a season or 2 grace period to come down to league 2 limits. Essentially giving them an advantage. All a salary cap would do is keep all clubs in their respective leagues and stay there. With a few yoyo clubs.

A global pandemic would mess with clubs in that business plan too.

Fans are generally the lifeblood of clubs, remove the fans you've got no club. People like to blame the finances in football because the top players are on ridiculous amounts.

The only fair way to curb spending on wages is to lower the percentage of turnover spent on players wages.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:44 am

No to salary caps.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:48 pm

I dont think wage caps are of any benefit ,but if league 1 is double that of league 2 it does not necessarily mean that players will be on double the wages ,squad sizes would bring wages down ,in reality until crowds are allowed into stadiums its completely irrelevant anyway
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:25 pm

player I know has taken a cut down to 450 a week to secure a contract for another year. Released from a championship club.. as he said "anything is better than nothing"

Pandemic already having an affect
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yellafella » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Gazza88.
How can the L1 salary capable double the L2 salary cap if the L2 cap is 55%. You cant have a £££s limit, it can only be workable as a% of income.
yellafella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:56 pm

spanishstag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:Players will earn as much as a Chairman or Director of Football is wise enough or daft enough to pay them.

Not if new rules are enforced ,and i mean properly ,

It the EFL management board we are on about here, held in highest regard by member clubs legal firms. After all the EFL provide them with so much work when the clubs win case after case.

The rules that are required for a sustainable and competitive league structure will need to encompass the shithousery of the Premier League as well as football at our level. Do you think that will ever happen?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:05 pm

I notice on social media some fans asking when will we get new signings. But why would you substantially add to your wage bill in these unprecedented times without any form of decent income.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:13 pm

HU7stag wrote:I notice on social media some fans asking when will we get new signings. But why would you substantially add to your wage bill in these unprecedented times without any form of decent income.

Do people understand what’s going on in the world?

I picked up on the following article on social media, I think the quote below sums it up fairly well:

‘Offers are few and far between. There’s not much to speak about until we know when next season is starting. How can a club sign someone when they’re deferring players’ wages?’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/if-y ... -hrj38d0vz
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:33 am

yellafella wrote:Gazza88.
How can the L1 salary capable double the L2 salary cap if the L2 cap is 55%. You cant have a £££s limit, it can only be workable as a% of income.

Well im sure i keep hearing managers saying players are giving 110%
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Onelove » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:43 am

I would cap the income of multi millionaires, billionaires and huge businesses who avoid taxation, before I penalised league 2 footballers. Given the nature of the game, it is yet again a cap on the aspirations of the working class. When this is all over, the rich will have got richer and it will be paid back by the minions. This government are sickly in their praise of public sector workers, when almost all of them voted to not give nurses etc a pay rise during austerity. Once, the cannon fodder have served their purpose, we will be the ones to be penalised and will be made to pay back the mega rich. Football is a short career. Wages should not be cut.
Onelove
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am

Onelove wrote:I would cap the income of multi millionaires, billionaires and huge businesses who avoid taxation, before I penalised league 2 footballers. Given the nature of the game, it is yet again a cap on the aspirations of the working class. When this is all over, the rich will have got richer and it will be paid back by the minions. This government are sickly in their praise of public sector workers, when almost all of them voted to not give nurses etc a pay rise during austerity. Once, the cannon fodder have served their purpose, we will be the ones to be penalised and will be made to pay back the mega rich. Football is a short career. Wages should not be cut.

There is a political forum for rants like this.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:00 am

The problem lies with the unsustainability of the lower league business model.

A lot of clubs (with some exceptions) are not ‘normal’ businesses and are run at a loss because they are funded by well meaning owners, who are attached to the club (emotionally/geographically) and are therefore willing to ‘invest’ (‘invest’ effectively means subsidise losses). There’s nothing wrong or immoral about that (and in fact it’s good for the teams that have such owners, like us).

Because they want their club to succeed they are willing to pay higher wages than the income of the business will stand to get the best players. This means that wages are driven up and then the wage bill either becomes uneconomic for everyone or the less well funded clubs fall behind because they can’t compete for the best players.

So you end up with a situation that the best funded clubs run at a loss and those that have less well off/accommodating owners have to stretch themselves to keep up or else they fall behind. And then when something like this happens numerous clubs are in trouble.

This wouldn’t happen in any (or many) other industry than sport. No one would pay wages to employees without the income base to support it, just to be seen to the best at what they do.

The problem lies with the structure, not the players themselves. The players do what most sensible people would do, which is to maximise their earnings according to their market value (within reason of course).
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby bmthstag » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:38 am

The other thing you have to take into account is that football is a relatively short career and can be ended at anytime by an injury. Based on that I can understand why a footballer “needs” to earn more than the average wage.
Maybe there’s a way they can do some training for work after football during their career. I know many do coaching etc and was it Alan Marriott trained to be a sparky in the last part of his time with us but I wonder if the model could be changed so that they all did some kind of vocational training as well.
bmthstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Big yella » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:44 pm

bmthstag wrote:The other thing you have to take into account is that football is a relatively short career and can be ended at anytime by an injury. Based on that I can understand why a footballer “needs” to earn more than the average wage.
Maybe there’s a way they can do some training for work after football during their career. I know many do coaching etc and was it Alan Marriott trained to be a sparky in the last part of his time with us but I wonder if the model could be changed so that they all did some kind of vocational training as well.

I really don’t buy this short career excuse for lower league football players being paid well over the odds. He only does a part time job. 3/4 hours a day maximum. He knows he’s done by his mid 30’s so he should get out there and get the skills to make himself employable for the 30’ years after he is finished as a player. If he doesn’t tough, it’s his own fault.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:30 pm

bmthstag wrote:The other thing you have to take into account is that football is a relatively short career and can be ended at anytime by an injury. Based on that I can understand why a footballer “needs” to earn more than the average wage.

When a pro footballer retires from the game,ceither through injury or age, he doesn't retire from the human race they get a job.

Ok, enjoy the time as a footballer, get fair pay, but you cannot say a footballer deserves extortionate pay, there is a lifetime after football to earn a living.
We do it, why not them.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:19 pm

Pretty sure the FFP rules below the Championship can be skirted around quite easily, and many clubs do, definitely us included in that when Evans was here.

The Championship make it harder to do so, but Derby and Sheff Weds have "sold" their stadiums to get round the rules there.

I would hazard a guess that there are players at League 2 level on laughable amounts when you compare it to their actual ability.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:08 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Pretty sure the FFP rules below the Championship can be skirted around quite easily, and many clubs do, definitely us included in that when Evans was here.

The Championship make it harder to do so, but Derby and Sheff Weds have "sold" their stadiums to get round the rules there.

I would hazard a guess that there are players at League 2 level on laughable amounts when you compare it to their actual ability.

I bet we had some ridiculous wages when Evans was here, apparently players didn't have bonuses in their contracts just bigger wages. We've all heard that Paul Anderson was reportedly on 2-4k a week which is absolutely criminal when you see what he contributed to the team/achieved here
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:31 am

yellafella wrote:Gazza88.

There are calls for a salary cap from the EFL. Instead of a % of income the proposal was that maximum outlay on wages was L1 £2.5m and L2 £1.25m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597 this is the link I should have posted with my last post.

I think league 1's SCMP % is 45% so they've got to earn over £5m to be able to spend that £2.5m budget. How many league 1 clubs earn that? So I would hope the the scmp would still be in effect.

We would need an income of around £2m to be able to spend the £1.25m cap.

For alot of clubs nothing will have changed. Just way of forcing the clubs with a high income to spend less on players.

I'm not into club finances but I don't think this measure would have prevented Macclesfield'troubles.

Personally I think they should lower the percentage of income used on wages. Meaning clubs need to find more income to have the same budget.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum