{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Maynard

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Maynard

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon May 18, 2020 7:27 pm

So we never found out if Maynard signed a 1 or 2 year deal last summer but with him being "in negotiations" I'm assuming it was a 1 year deal..

He would need to take a big drop in wages for me to sign another deal but GC clearly wants him or he would've just been released.

I hope he stays.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Re: Maynard

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 18, 2020 8:13 pm

100% 1 year deal i’ve been saying it for months
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon May 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:So we never found out if Maynard signed a 1 or 2 year deal last summer but with him being "in negotiations" I'm assuming it was a 1 year deal..

He would need to take a big drop in wages for me to sign another deal but GC clearly wants him or he would've just been released.

I hope he stays.

Don’t think he’d need to do that. He’s going to be in demand
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon May 18, 2020 9:17 pm

Can see him ending up at Salford myself if they want him.

His lad is at Man Utd's academy and it will be more local for them both that way, plus they can afford it.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 am

Hope he stays. He’s quality and in a better side would show that
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 19, 2020 7:27 am

Lol if any proper caps come in to place Salford will struggle to afford Luke Medley.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue May 19, 2020 8:04 am

Hope he stays, OK he missed some chances but he has quality, if he stays fit and given the service will bag 20 goals a season for some years yet.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue May 19, 2020 9:24 am

Agree.quality player at our level.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon May 25, 2020 7:51 am

Conker wrote:Lol if any proper caps come in to place Salford will struggle to afford Luke Medley.

With the personalities on board behind them, they will find ways around it.
You just know the FA will bow down to the likes of Beckham, Neville and Scholes given their high profiles.
Apparently Peter Lim expects a promotion every season and wants them in the Premier League ASAP too.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:13 pm

Agree be great to keep him but he has missed a few and was not particularly prolific
My guess is he will go where best money is and Salford would be about right
Hope u do stay Nicky and give Stags a boost for promotion
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 25, 2020 7:26 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Agree be great to keep him but he has missed a few and was not particularly prolific

Had the season finished I think it was realistic that he’d bag 20 goals .

Is 20 not prolific no more in a team that’s 21st in table ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 25, 2020 7:31 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Agree be great to keep him but he has missed a few and was not particularly prolific

Strikers that don't miss don't stay in L2 for very long! I hope he stays too, he is the best striker we've got right now and need to keep hold of him
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Mon May 25, 2020 7:49 pm

Can’t say I’d miss him to be honest. Came on big money with a big reputation and bar one or two games hasn’t really done much for me.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 25, 2020 7:55 pm

my name is jonas wrote:Can’t say I’d miss him to be honest. Came on big money with a big reputation and bar one or two games hasn’t really done much for me.

Second highest goalscorer in the league in a crap team and 'hasnt done much for you'? :lol:

Hard to please then
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Mon May 25, 2020 8:06 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
my name is jonas wrote:Can’t say I’d miss him to be honest. Came on big money with a big reputation and bar one or two games hasn’t really done much for me.

Second highest goalscorer in the league in a crap team and 'hasnt done much for you'? :lol:

Hard to please then

Not that I’m hard to please but having seen him week in week out and on the amount he’s reported to be on I think we can find better value for sure.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 25, 2020 8:12 pm

my name is jonas wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Hard to please then

Not that I’m hard to please but having seen him week in week out and on the amount he’s reported to be on I think we can find better value for sure.

Proven goalscorers don't come cheap, we have one at our club (the second highest scorer in the league). Why would you get rid of him and get someone in who may or may not do the job, when we know we have that player already?

I would rather us get rid of cook than Maynard personally
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon May 25, 2020 8:23 pm

my name is jonas wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Hard to please then

Had the season come to it’s natural conclusion it’s probable that Maynard would have hit 40 goals over the course of 2 the last seasons. Players with a track record like that at this level are incredibly hard to come by.

He misses some chances but don’t they all. He is a trusted source of goals at this level and we should be doing what we can to keep him, though I still feel that will be difficult.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue May 26, 2020 8:37 am

I think it’s crazy not to rate Nicky Maynard at this level, one of the top scorers last season and second top scorer this season in a poor side that often struggles to provide the service.

According to the bbc stats his shot accuracy is 62% which is up there with the best in the league and at 176 minutes per goal this stat is the third highest of the top 25 goal scorers in the league.

He might be expensive but you’re not going to get better at this level.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue May 26, 2020 8:52 am

Jimstag wrote:I think it’s crazy not to rate Nicky Maynard at this level, one of the top scorers last season and second top scorer this season in a poor side that often struggles to provide the service.

According to the bbc stats his shot accuracy is 62% which is up there with the best in the league and at 176 minutes per goal this stat is the third highest of the top 25 goal scorers in the league.

He might be expensive but you’re not going to get better at this level.

I agree, maybe in the current football situation he will have to take less in wages wherever he goes in League 2.

He's very much one we need to keep. Having confidence in the manager will, I think, be a telling factor. At his age, the next season is likely to be his Swan song and if he believes he can go out with a promotion it could swing a deal.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue May 26, 2020 12:07 pm

Not only a goal scorer but a very intelligent player. Need to keep him
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 26, 2020 12:12 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Not only a goal scorer but a very intelligent player. Need to keep him

Only if he really wants to play for MTFC
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue May 26, 2020 12:34 pm

Guaranteed goalscorers are hard to get.Maynard is one of them.I hope he stays with us.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue May 26, 2020 1:41 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:Not only a goal scorer but a very intelligent player. Need to keep him

All players only have one club they want to play for, their club. Everyone else they play for is just a job. For me, he's more than welcome to do his job here.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:21 pm

Big yella wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

All players only have one club they want to play for, their club. Everyone else they play for is just a job. For me, he's more than welcome to do his job here.

This :good_post:
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby diablo » Tue May 26, 2020 6:38 pm

my name is jonas wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Hard to please then

He is experienced and nearing the end of his career , I think he has one more Season left so it might as well be with us unless he gets a better offer elsewhere...but I would not label him as being prolific, he misses far too many "one on ones" which have cost us points..
diablo
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum