{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Update - Retain list now out

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Update - Retain list now out

Postby bellwhiff » Tue May 19, 2020 4:01 pm

Rob wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
kwambo wrote:What has he put. Not on instagram

Mal Benning on instagram:
mal_1632
Sad to see some good friends leave, but especially this guy right here , being in a car with him for 5 years and playing together since we both came to the club 5 years ago. Had some great memories for the stags, and for me one of the best CB in the league no doubt. Been a pleasure skip

Pearce is 31 next and been a great servant to the club but we have to trust GC in his judgement and give thanks to all the players leaving and wish them well in their careers .

You say 31 like its old, for a centre back its probably about his prime. Some of our greatest centre halves have been well over 30. Of course it might be Pearce's decision to leave, but if not and if GC let him go, it is a bad mistake.

As for trusting in GC's judgement, we'll see. Nothing so far in his early time here has given me any cause to trust his judgement just yet, time will tell and of course he must be given time to build his own squad and own style of play - I just hope its better than what we saw early doors!

Quality. Billy Bistable.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 19, 2020 4:04 pm

A nice message from Hayden White, hope he gets back to what he was.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 19, 2020 4:11 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue May 19, 2020 4:12 pm

Some classy departures.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 19, 2020 4:32 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

A weird one, a player I thought we would develop and sell on for big money but wasn't to be. That performance against Newport in his first game under flitcroft was the best he played.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue May 19, 2020 4:35 pm

Nice to see some of the messages from the players leaving. Hopefully they all go on to have good careers, just didn’t work out here one way or another (maybe harsh on Pearce to put him in that bracket)

I think Charsley was worth keeping on. He looked alright in the games he played and with a full pre season think he could be good for us.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Tue May 19, 2020 5:11 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Paraphrasing, that’s he sad to see KP leave after 5 years at the club together, and that he’s one of the best centre backs on the league. Don’t think you would say the last bit if it was the clubs decision, as it implies the club have made the wrong decision.

MTFCMusings wrote:Carolyn has also commented his post saying that ‘he will be missed’. More suggestion that this was choice IMO.

Perhaps said in the heat of the moment? I tweeted very similar about him being one of the best defenders in the league and how I couldn't believe that he was on the scrapheap, it was directly underneath the retained list post and only included @mansfieldtownfc as a tag, Mal Benning liked that tweet within 5 minutes. This morning, that 'like' has been 'un-liked'.

I think this is a case of Coughlan making the decision, Carolyn backing her manager, the man she pays to make these football decisions and Mal being upset that his friend will be moving on.

Just my take.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 19, 2020 5:14 pm

88BenM wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Paraphrasing, that’s he sad to see KP leave after 5 years at the club together, and that he’s one of the best centre backs on the league. Don’t think you would say the last bit if it was the clubs decision, as it implies the club have made the wrong decision.

MTFCMusings wrote:Carolyn has also commented his post saying that ‘he will be missed’. More suggestion that this was choice IMO.

Perhaps said in the heat of the moment? I tweeted very similar about him being one of the best defenders in the league and how I couldn't believe that he was on the scrapheap, it was directly underneath the retained list post and only included @mansfieldtownfc as a tag, Mal Benning liked that tweet within 5 minutes. This morning, that 'like' has been 'un-liked'.

I think this is a case of Coughlan making the decision, Carolyn backing her manager, the man she pays to make these football decisions and Mal being upset that his friend will be moving on.

Just my take.

You could be right, perhaps we’ll find out in time.

I personally think it’s a Rhys Bennett situation, where the club made out it was their decision and then it turned out he had a better from elsewhere. Wouldn’t be surprised if Pearce/Preston/White end up at Bolton.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Tue May 19, 2020 5:19 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
88BenM wrote:

Just my take.

I personally think it’s a Rhys Bennett situation, where the club made out it was their decision and then it turned out he had a better from elsewhere. Wouldn’t be surprised if Pearce/Preston/White end up at Bolton.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is where all 3 ended up myself. I think Pearce's days were numbered when Coughlan said he was available in January, for whatever reason, he just has not taken to Pearce. We'll probably find out when the Chief retires.

Interesting also that all the departures have mentioned the owners in glowing terms, only bodes well for future signings that this is the case.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue May 19, 2020 5:22 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
88BenM wrote:

Just my take.

I personally just think GC didn’t want him. He was transfer listed in January and not exactly shone this season as he and was rumoured to be one of the bad apples which helped get JD sacked. Total clean sweep and I’ll back the gaffer instead of players who have been paid handsomely for three straight years and only got into the play offs once.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Neal Bishop on instagram nbisho
Been a absolute pleasure to represent @mansfieldtownfc for the past 2 years. From fantastic owners, supporters, players and staff, I can’t thank everyone enough for making me feel so welcome from day 1.
Although the disappointment of not achieving promotion during that first season is something I’ll feel for a long time yet, I’m sure the club will achieve that goal in the none to distant future, and I sincerely hope they do. As for me there’s some fantastic opportunities ahead and I can’t wait to get back to work! Stay safe everyone. Bish
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby adamstag » Tue May 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Not that they would’ve got bad receptions anyway but khan, white, Pearce etc have ensured they’ll get a warm reception on any respective trip back to field mill or when we encounter them away.

Interesting how small things like that can make a difference, like being bitter and posting what Ollie Palmer posted meaning he always gets a rough side whenever we encounter him.

Wish the lads all the best moving forward.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 19, 2020 8:53 pm

adamstag wrote:Interesting how small things like that can make a difference, like being bitter and posting what Ollie Palmer posted meaning he always gets a rough side whenever we encounter him.

He usually scores against us as well! :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed May 20, 2020 12:11 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Neal Bishop on instagram nbisho
Been a absolute pleasure to represent @mansfieldtownfc for the past 2 years. From fantastic owners, supporters, players and staff, I can’t thank everyone enough for making me feel so welcome from day 1.
Although the disappointment of not achieving promotion during that first season is something I’ll feel for a long time yet, I’m sure the club will achieve that goal in the none to distant future, and I sincerely hope they do. As for me there’s some fantastic opportunities ahead and I can’t wait to get back to work! Stay safe everyone. Bish

I know I’m in a minority but I’m gutted Bish has gone. Always gave 100% even if things weren’t working on the pitch he gave his heart and soul for our shirt and as a fan that is all you want. I would’ve kept him on myself as his experience for our youth lads would’ve been invaluable.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 20, 2020 5:17 am

I'm sorry to see several of the players going.

It was required though.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed May 20, 2020 5:37 am

55 goals against says the defence wanted sorting
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed May 20, 2020 5:45 am

Dan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:Neal Bishop on instagram nbisho

I know I’m in a minority but I’m gutted Bish has gone. Always gave 100% even if things weren’t working on the pitch he gave his heart and soul for our shirt and as a fan that is all you want. I would’ve kept him on myself as his experience for our youth lads would’ve been invaluable.

100% effort is not all I want , that’s the minimum I want .if you are looking for 100% effort, wearing the shirt with pride and someone willing to run through brick walls for the cause then you could simply choose posters on this forum . Personally I don’t think I could play midfield any longer , my 63 year old knees have gone but I am Still willing to replace the chief if needed.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:37 am

I just hope that whoever GC brings in are better than those departing. There are some big boots (not literally) to fill.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed May 20, 2020 9:01 am

As well have lost 2 goalkeepers we need a good replacement there is no better keeper in league 2 than James mckeown.he is grimsby player of the season for the last few years.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 am

football is like any other modern profession. You need to move on to keep at the top of your game. If you stay in one place to long complacency sets in and only the minority can stay motivated year in year out.

The reality is this is what has happened to members of our squad. The majority will go and achieve great things in their careers but not here. That time was last season.

The chance has gone.

Onwards and upwards and good luck to all who move on but those that stay you are in the last chance saloon
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed May 20, 2020 12:20 pm

Great posts from all of them. Any one of them will get a great reception from me when they return. Nice to see respect for the owners, fans and club in general.
Bodes well for the future of the club making us an attractive place to pursue a footballing career
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed May 20, 2020 12:24 pm

Agree with Grimsby keeper.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 20, 2020 12:29 pm

Would take McKeown in a heartbeat, it was a while ago now but he was fantastic for them in the conference and by the sounds of it is still decent now
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed May 20, 2020 1:25 pm

McKeown is brilliant for this level, but he’s absolutely loved at Grimsby and is Captain I believe. Can’t see him leaving them for another league 2 club, particularly after Holloway joining them.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed May 20, 2020 6:30 pm

First silly rumour of the summer and probably the most obvious one, Johnson Clarke Harris. He loves GC and Apparently is out of contract? He was linked with champ in Jan so doubt this is true.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum