{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: David Sharpe - New Director of Football

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 13, 2020 5:17 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby sunray » Wed May 13, 2020 5:48 pm

The Board seem to have changed their stance. When JD was struggling and needed support a DoF was not entertained. Now GC is struggling they've appointed one.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Wed May 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Looks like it makes sense to me given the Radfords in Portugal and the season we've had.

Coughlan will have been consulted no doubt and I don't buy this about him being old school and therefore not into DoFs. He was a player in the early 2000s. He'll have played under them before. Rovers may even have had one when he was manager there.

In 2020 DoF isn't the unknown, foreign concept it once was and as mentioned above, he'll be running the ship as a defacto CEO.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed May 13, 2020 6:03 pm

I’m sure Grandad knows a thing or two about taking a unfashionable club up the leagues , yep it may have cost a lot of money but money thrown at the right manager and the right players . Good appointment from the Radford’s and someone who could oversee day to running of the club while they step back a little .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed May 13, 2020 6:05 pm

My initial reaction to this is that it's a positive move for the club, for a few reasons. Firstly he is a football man, with actual experience of running a club and achieving success with them. He also appears to be from outside JR's usual circle so should be able to offer fresh perspective which could be invaluable to the club. It also offers someone in a proper leadership position when the Radford's are in Portugal.

The rest of the board should be absolutely applauded for thier efforts with the club, but none of them have the football experience that Sharpe has, so he adds value to club decision making at strategy. You never know, it may be that JR finally realised that he needed football people around him after seeing what happened when he sacked Flitcroft after consulting the current boardroom?

The risk is of course that he and Coughlin clash. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but if it does then I would expect JR to back Sharpe as the club need a long term vision and strategy, which can only be achieved through continuity at board/director level.

I'm really excited now. Hopefully the next month or two will see some ins and outs on the playing side and we can enter the next season fully prepared as opposed to the shambles of this year.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed May 13, 2020 6:23 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:My initial reaction to this is that it's a positive move for the club, for a few reasons. Firstly he is a football man, with actual experience of running a club and achieving success with them. He also appears to be from outside JR's usual circle so should be able to offer fresh perspective which could be invaluable to the club. It also offers someone in a proper leadership position when the Radford's are in Portugal.

The rest of the board should be absolutely applauded for thier efforts with the club, but none of them have the football experience that Sharpe has, so he adds value to club decision making at strategy. You never know, it may be that JR finally realised that he needed football people around him after seeing what happened when he sacked Flitcroft after consulting the current boardroom?

The risk is of course that he and Coughlin clash. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but if it does then I would expect JR to back Sharpe as the club need a long term vision and strategy, which can only be achieved through continuity at board/director level.

I'm really excited now. Hopefully the next month or two will see some ins and outs on the playing side and we can enter the next season fully prepared as opposed to the shambles of this year.

My thoughts too. As much as I will be forever grateful to the Radfords, some of their footballing decisions have been questionable (appointing Evans (I'd not have gone near him with a barge pole),sacking DF, appointing JD). I think this appointment is excellent, a professional football man to help and advise the owners and manager. Good stuff.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 13, 2020 6:28 pm

Future manager - Paul Cook (with Gary Roberts as his assistant) :shock: :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed May 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Future manager - Paul Cook (with Gary Roberts as his assistant) :shock: :lol:

Don’t forget the 1st signing Doyle :D
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed May 13, 2020 6:40 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
my name is jonas wrote:Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s a bit of a Chief Executive but without the title.

Like everyone says and knows, things haven’t been the same since the Radfords moved to Portugal.

I would think he is CEO in all but job title...

My view too.
Why appoint someone with his knowledge and experience and not use it to the full.
Carolyn is a mother of three with a sun tan to maintain, this guy is surely her replacement, as someone has already said, without the title.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 13, 2020 6:48 pm

If David Sharpe is going to have a full time role then he may end up running the club on behalf of JR and Carolyn. I can't see him just talking to other clubs and agents about players.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 13, 2020 7:05 pm

from John Radford's facebook page:

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 13, 2020 7:23 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:from John Radford's facebook page:

best post of the season :mtfc: :coys:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 13, 2020 7:47 pm

Very much a good move

Nice to see someone at the club who will be able to run it in the absence of the radfords and also maybe help us adopt a footballing style which doesn’t keep changing with each manager
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 13, 2020 7:48 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:

You do get some plonkers, surprised JR bothered to reply tbh
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 13, 2020 7:58 pm

for anyone who doesn't have time to listen to the audio interview, I've typed up key parts about how he sees his role:

David Sharpe spoke to BBC Radio Nottingham's Colin Fray, Wed 13 May 2020:

"My role will be a fine balance of sitting in between the manager and the chairman and chief executive.
"My key relationship is myself and the manager, trusting each other.
"The director of football title sometimes people think "well he'll sign the players and the manager just coaches the team", that's far from the truth when it comes to me.
"I'll support the manager, I'll help the manager, we'll work with the head of recruitment very closely, and the manager will always have the final say on what players come in and out of this football club, along with the chairman obviously from a financial point of view.
"I'm here to support the manager, to work between him and the board, to report to the board."

Full audio here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08d2m6v
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed May 13, 2020 8:10 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Future manager - Paul Cook (with Gary Roberts as his assistant) :shock: :lol:

Be careful what you wish for as apparently he's very good friends with Gary Caldwell :o :o
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 13, 2020 8:11 pm

adamstag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

You do get some plonkers, surprised JR bothered to reply tbh

not the first time ive seen him post negative tripe. even when we win he usually moans
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed May 13, 2020 8:39 pm

Sounds like the plan is to profit from the current state of football. We're very fortunate to have the Radfords that's for sure. With lots of clubs releasing players due to financial uncertainty, our own stability could allow us to pick off some very good players for this level. Good signs for us, at least.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed May 13, 2020 10:09 pm

ParisStag wrote:Sounds like the plan is to profit from the current state of football. We're very fortunate to have the Radfords that's for sure. With lots of clubs releasing players due to financial uncertainty, our own stability could allow us to pick off some very good players for this level. Good signs for us, at least.

Agree with this. We’ve sent out a bit of a statement to lower league footballers today. Whilst many clubs are facing uncertainty and will be skint due to circumstances, we’ve brought in a DoF who will not come cheap and will be here to help us be successful. Hopefully that translates to players that we are financially stable and that could be quite a pull at this time.

The 366 group that he worked for prior to joining us has some good players on its books that would be worth scoping out!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed May 13, 2020 10:33 pm

from Carolyn's facebook page:

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed May 13, 2020 11:10 pm

Some real wide swing and a miss posts on Facebook regarding this.

The fact people take there own comments as actually fact is worrying in today’s age.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu May 14, 2020 6:20 am

MTFCMAD wrote:Some real wide swing and a miss posts on Facebook regarding this.

The fact people take there own comments as actually fact is worrying in today’s age.

there's quite a few stags fans that seem to think theres some sinister motive whenever the club does something. very strange
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 am

This is good news on several levels.

It will provide leadership when the Radford's are away, as a de facto CEO.
It will provide a footballing opinion on matters that is outside the 'old guard' (by that I mean Hymas and co)
Bring new business ideas into the club
He has good links with 366 Agency and probably others and will possibly attract a higher Calibre of player.
Sends out a statement that MTFC is still very much open for business for players.

I'm really happy about this.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Thu May 14, 2020 7:02 am

Good statement, great knowledge and helps to run the club.

Great connections too and shows that we still have money.

Incidentally, vehicle insurance companies are making huge profits over this pandemic simply because there’s less traffic = fewer payouts. So, MTFC are in a pretty comfortable (I imagine, although I am just guessing) position
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Thu May 14, 2020 7:47 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Some real wide swing and a miss posts on Facebook regarding this.

there's quite a few stags fans that seem to think theres some sinister motive whenever the club does something. very strange

Indeed, some very very large swing and misses.

Nice to have someone at the club who will know what they’re doing, a refreshing change from the broughtons
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum