{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Counter Attack Podcast With Jacob Mellis

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Counter Attack Podcast With Jacob Mellis

Postby martinf » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Jacob speaks about his time at Mansfield towards the start of this and him leaving if anyone's interested....

martinf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Counter Attack Podcast With Jacob Mellis

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:28 pm

Sounds promising, think we will pick points up at London Marathon away
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon May 04, 2020 8:16 am

Jacob going out with a little bit of class. Nice to see. very respectful in his account of what happened.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon May 04, 2020 9:56 am

He definitely come across a damn sight better than the person conducting the interview.

Shame that his career will be looked upon with a host of regrets.

No matter what happens Jacob, I will raise a glass to you (not at three in the morning though) should you end your career with an Indian summer.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon May 04, 2020 10:49 am

I think he will look back on his career to date with more regret than any of us.

Amazing talent for our level, shame the effort didn’t match.

Good interview though, pretty refreshing - I think when coughlan came in though I think most worked out pretty quickly he wouldn’t be round for long.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Mon May 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Good interview man yeah. That was wicked to listen to man yeah man
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 05, 2020 5:52 pm

The disgust on this face when he mentions GC wanting him to run 12k a game is exactly why his career has not been as successful as it should have.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:51 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The disgust on this face when he mentions GC wanting him to run 12k a game is exactly why his career has not been as successful as it should have.

I can think of many a good player that didn't run 12 km in a season. Yes you need a few athletes in your side but you also need someone who makes things happen with the ball at his feet.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 05, 2020 7:14 pm

wink68 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The disgust on this face when he mentions GC wanting him to run 12k a game is exactly why his career has not been as successful as it should have.

I can think of many a good player that didn't run 12 km in a season. Yes you need a few athletes in your side but you also need someone who makes things happen with the ball at his feet.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue May 05, 2020 9:15 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Neither are the two both compulsory.
It might not fit with all your stats that you so regularly love to quote, but Chris Waddle once played against us for Torquay at the latter end of his career and gave an absolute masterclass without hardly leaving the centre circle for the whole match.
Playmakers don't always have to be workhorses as well.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
wink68 wrote:

It might not fit with all your stats that you so regularly love to quote, but Chris Waddle once played against us for Torquay at the latter end of his career and gave an absolute masterclass without hardly leaving the centre circle for the whole match.

You'd be lucky if the best footballer (Gordon Hodgson) I've ever seen in the famous Amber shirt ran 12k a season. :lol: :lol:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed May 06, 2020 12:18 am

Let the runners run and the players play
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:09 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
wink68 wrote:

I remember Peter Beardsley also doing that when he played his latter games for Hartlepool
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johan » Wed May 06, 2020 9:27 am

Has Jacob Mellis ever delivered a masterclass in anything though?

Necking pints on a school night..? Hide and seeking during important games..?

He certainly isn’t worthy of comparison with Beardsley and Waddle.
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 06, 2020 11:44 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
wink68 wrote:

I think you have misinterpreted my original point.
I was trying to say, it isn’t whether you have to run 12k or not to be a good player (of course your don’t), the point is his manager wanted him to run 12k a game, or at least give it a go, and his reaction says it all.

If you don’t do as your manager wants, you’re going to keep falling down the pyramid.

Also, the Waddle performance, presumably over 20 years ago, is not comparable to Mellis, who has never hit the heights of Waddle. I also presume Waddles manager was well aware of his limitations, and not expecting him to run 12k a game. The games has changed since then. Even Mesut Ozil, often labelled as a ‘lazy player’ runs 11.5km a game.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 06, 2020 6:18 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Let the runners run and the players play

Bit like me and Mallam on a Thursday...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed May 06, 2020 6:55 pm

A very interesting interview.

On his day a fantastic player but he tended to be on it 1 in 4. If he could have played every week as he could he was a Championship player in my view.

Easy to criticise GC for his demise but I think the interview glosses over his indiscretions. Fighting in the town centre in the early hours is not professional.

Definitely a wasted talent
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:27 pm

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/05/ ... t-chelsea/

Came across this earlier. If anyone is interested.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Sat May 09, 2020 2:52 pm

The 12km figure, I think, is less about running more = better player but more about commitment and fitness.

And it helps the manager understand who will listen and work hard vs those who won't
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby mousemousemouse » Sat May 09, 2020 2:54 pm

yorkstag wrote:A very interesting interview.

On his day a fantastic player but he tended to be on it 1 in 4. If he could have played every week as he could he was a Championship player in my view.

Easy to criticise GC for his demise but I think the interview glosses over his indiscretions. Fighting in the town centre in the early hours is not professional.

Definitely a wasted talent

He mentions it's an ongoing case in the video, so legally probably can't talk about it.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Sun May 10, 2020 8:19 am

I agree.

The point I was trying to make is that as I listened to him speak there appears to be very little recognition of the part he played in his exit
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 10, 2020 9:58 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Chris Waddle was 38 when he appeared for Torquay.

He'd played c450 games at the top level of club football and won 62 caps for England.

At that stage in his career a player gets to test his legs a bit. In his pomp, despite his laid back running style Waddle was regarded as on of the fittest player in the game.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum