{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Salary Cap in league one and two.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Salary Cap in league one and two.

Postby Walton Stag » Tue May 05, 2020 9:20 am

Just read this. Not seen it anywhere else.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8305 ... cf20d37d04

Does anybody know what we pay out on salaries currently?
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Salary Cap in league one and two.

Postby part time pete » Tue May 05, 2020 9:22 am

Walton Stag wrote:Just read this. Not seen it anywhere else.

I think we pay about £2.5m per year.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Tue May 05, 2020 9:23 am

If that is true, Pete, there is some trimming to be done to get it down to £1.25m
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Tue May 05, 2020 9:25 am

Walton Stag wrote:If that is true, Pete, there is some trimming to be done to get it down to £1.25m

Seeing we have only about 5 players currently signed on for next season, we are a lot more flexible than most on who we can sign.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 05, 2020 10:13 am

Walton Stag wrote:Just read this. Not seen it anywhere else.

the letter sent out by John Radford on behalf of other clubs was here:

viewtopic.php?p=828154#p828154
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 05, 2020 10:16 am

I would think there would have to be a translation period to allow clubs to adjust their positions for players on longer contracts..

It could also almost guarantee relegated clubs an advantage for immediate promotion as there would have to be an exemption for the same reasons, thus allowing them players of a higher standard during their first season in the lower league.

Although I can see advantages to the wage cap, I can also see it creating a group of advantaged clubs in the lower leagues as has happened in the premiership. Maybe the cap for the two divisions should be closer to mitigate the effects.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 am

The suggested values are new news to me, I think we’ve got to go somewhere to making football more sustainable especially in circumstances like these. It’s a start towards agreement and I’d suggest it is required beyond any covid crisis period.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue May 05, 2020 10:47 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I would think there would have to be a translation period to allow clubs to adjust their positions for players on longer contracts..

It could also almost guarantee relegated clubs an advantage for immediate promotion as there would have to be an exemption for the same reasons, thus allowing them players of a higher standard during their first season in the lower league.

Although I can see advantages to the wage cap, I can also see it creating a group of advantaged clubs in the lower leagues as has happened in the premiership. Maybe the cap for the two divisions should be closer to mitigate the effects.

Maybe it's time that footballers had 'relegation wage cut' clauses written into their contracts in the same way that many of them have positive clauses written in for promotions, goals, appearances, etc. ?
Why should they continue to earn the same wage in a lower division if they have failed to perform to the standards expected of them in the higher division ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 05, 2020 10:54 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I would think there would have to be a translation period to allow clubs to adjust their positions for players on longer contracts..

Maybe it's time that footballers had 'relegation wage cut' clauses written into their contracts in the same way that many of them have positive clauses written in for promotions, goals, appearances, etc. ?
Why should they continue to earn the same wage in a lower division if they have failed to perform to the standards expected of them in the higher division ?

That's fine if they have under performed but it isn't always the case. Wasn't Micky Boulding amongst the divisions top scorers when we were relegated? That's just an example but I'm sure there are plenty more covering most positions.

We don't want to get to the situation where players will only sign for a team who have good players already. The obvious solution would be to introduce mandatory 12 month contracts within the game but that could also be counterproductive and difficult to hold onto players who shine. It may remove transfer fees at season end but some clubs rely on those for youth players.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed May 06, 2020 6:52 am

Wage caps will not work ,clubs will find a way around it probably via sponsorship deals like we ourselves must use to our advantage . If they do manage to cap wages in the efl the premier league boys will soon be trying to railroad their youth teams into the lower leagues i really cant see it happening
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 06, 2020 7:00 am

With or without a salary cap, wages for lower league players will fall. Simply as a result of lower numbers coming through the turnstiles or probably none at all coming through.

We may even see part time footballers in leagues 1 and 2.

The government are talking about the "new normal" it will apply to a lot of things we do, including spectator sport.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum