{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

"No fans at EFL games until 2021"

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

"No fans at EFL games until 2021"

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:13 pm

Source: BBC Sport https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52493649

There are fears fans will not be able to attend English Football League games until January 2021, according to a leaked recording heard by the BBC.

Alex Rodman, Professional Footballers' Association delegate for Bristol Rovers, was talking to team-mates after a call with clubs, the EFL and PFA.

In the recording, obtained by BBC Points West, Rodman also said the prospect of a 23-team Premier League for next season had been discussed.

Rovers are investigating the leak.

BBC Sport understands no final decisions were made during Wednesday's call between club, EFL and PFA representatives, when several different ideas were discussed.

The EFL will follow the government's guidelines before making any decisions on whether or not the 2019-20 season can resume, how the issues of promotion and relegation will be decided if not, and when fans can attend matches.

In the recording, Rodman claims: "We won't be playing any games with any fans this year, they [the EFL] don't think so. We'll be looking at January 2021 [for fans] unless a cure pops up."

The winger also mentions to team-mates a scenario in which, if the season could not resume, league placings would be decided "on sporting merit".

Three teams would then be promoted from each EFL division but with no relegations, leading to a 23-team Premier League for 2020-21 and then extra relegation spots in future seasons throughout the pyramid to balance the numbers back out.

The EFL is still understood to want to finish the current campaign if safe to do so.

No elite football fixtures have been held in England since 13 March's suspension of games across the country because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: "No fans at EFL games until 2021"

Postby oldweststander » Fri May 01, 2020 8:51 am

That's the way I see it personally.

I wouldn't feel safe anyway until vaccinated.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Mansf1eld » Fri May 01, 2020 9:20 am

oldweststander wrote:That's the way I see it personally.

A vaccine?! :shock:

God knows what they'll put in that, no thanks.
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri May 01, 2020 9:50 am

Someone of them were apparently “scared” of playing infront of fans, so I look forward to upturn in form :lol:

In seriousness, health of everyone from the players to the fans, to the ticket staff is more important than a bag of wind being kicked about if it runs a risk of spreading things and/or takes any time from any medical professional when they’re needed in more important areas.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Fri May 01, 2020 11:42 am

Mansf1eld wrote:

Probably preferable to a killer virus though eh pal?
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri May 01, 2020 11:53 am

Hjeldefan wrote:
Mansf1eld wrote:

Probably preferable to a killer virus though eh pal?

It will probably come down to an age or underlying health issue, similar to the influenza jab.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri May 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Mansf1eld wrote:

It'll contain a weakened or disabled version of the covid19 germ cell so your immune system easily kills it, which it well remember how to do if you ever get infected with the full version of the germ cell. That's how vaccination works.

Are you an anti-vaccer?

Most ludicrous movement I ever did see.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri May 01, 2020 12:14 pm

The statement just emphasises what levels of disruption our lives will see for a significant period of time, I still think we’re kidding ourselves with an early 2021 date. I really hope I’m wrong because I just want to see a load of you lot in the pubs around Mansfield before and after the games and obviously in the stands cheering the players on.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby jpstags » Fri May 01, 2020 12:42 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Mansf1eld wrote:

It'll contain a weakened or disabled version of the covid19 germ cell so your immune system easily kills it, which it well remember how to do if you ever get infected with the full version of the germ cell. That's how vaccination works.

Are you an anti-vaccer?

I've had Corona and fortunately recovered but I would definitely have a recommended vaccine rather than face that again.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Fri May 01, 2020 3:16 pm

jpstags wrote:
Mansf1eld wrote:

Are you an anti-vaccer?

I've had Corona and fortunately recovered but I would definitely have a recommended vaccine rather than face that again.
Glad to hear you recovered. Are you still feeling the after effects? From what Ive heard it takes a lot out of you, leaving you feeling weak.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Fri May 01, 2020 4:03 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
jpstags wrote:
Mansf1eld wrote:

Are you an anti-vaccer?

Glad to hear you recovered. Are you still feeling the after effects? From what Ive heard it takes a lot out of you, leaving you feeling weak.

Thanks Andy, been about 5 weeks now, it does leave you feeling weak and slightly short of breath also still cough in the morning quite a bit.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Fri May 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks for sharing that jpstag. A truly nasty illness. I hope you are soon back to full fitness. And anyone else who has become infected.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri May 01, 2020 8:22 pm

jpstags wrote:been about 5 weeks now, it does leave you feeling weak and slightly short of breath also still cough in the morning quite a bit.

I was over it in a week, but it was another fortnight before I felt pretty much back to normal. I'd been exhausted all the time and out of breath, with no appetite and with intermittent fevers.
I had flu once and that was more intense. This one seems to cause symptoms that come and go, never really terrible, but drag on. 6 weeks later and I'm almost glad to have had it, assuming that I now have some level of immunity. The frustrating thing is that there was no test available, and now there's no antibody test. So it's self diagnosis and self treatment. And after all this time, people who get it this week still have no test available unless they are in a certain category, and will still have to treat themselves.
Those that have avoided catching it will very much want the vaccine when it appears, and those against vaccination will hopefully continue to self isolate until there are virtually no cases in the country. We don't want them wandering around giving the virus new homes.

I've a feeling that the rest of Europe will soon be up and running, but here we'll still be struggling on stoically until we get the vaccine.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sat May 02, 2020 11:14 am

Bradders wrote:
jpstags wrote:been about 5 weeks now, it does leave you feeling weak and slightly short of breath also still cough in the morning quite a bit.

I was over it in a week, but it was another fortnight before I felt pretty much back to normal. I'd been exhausted all the time and out of breath, with no appetite and with intermittent fevers.
I had flu once and that was more intense. This one seems to cause symptoms that come and go, never really terrible, but drag on. 6 weeks later and I'm almost glad to have had it, assuming that I now have some level of immunity. The frustrating thing is that there was no test available, and now there's no antibody test. So it's self diagnosis and self treatment. And after all this time, people who get it this week still have no test available unless they are in a certain category, and will still have to treat themselves.
Those that have avoided catching it will very much want the vaccine when it appears, and those against vaccination will hopefully continue to self isolate until there are virtually no cases in the country. We don't want them wandering around giving the virus new homes.

I've a feeling that the rest of Europe will soon be up and running, but here we'll still be struggling on stoically until we get the vaccine.

Can you not get an antibody test ? I think one of the main problems is that we are a small island and very over populated. Goodness knows how people manage in inner city areas without gardens etc.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby hucknallstag » Sat May 02, 2020 11:59 am

id agree with you on us being far too over populated but.....most of europe are 2-3 weeks in front of us in terms of the virus and i read that most of them are only taking the smallest of measures to start exiting from lockdown and most saying that if it shows signs of rising they wont hesitate to lockdown again.France as i understand is scrapping its season?and to the best of my knowledge theres to vaccine currently available anywhere on the planet?i dont see how we are any different to the rest of europe or indeed the world?in essence its going to be a long slow gradual exit and for all the right reasons i mignt add.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Sat May 02, 2020 3:39 pm

jpstags wrote:
Bradders wrote:

Can you not get an antibody test ? I think one of the main problems is that we are a small island and very over populated. Goodness knows how people manage in inner city areas without gardens etc.

There's no antibody test available to the public yet, no vaccine and no surefire cure. Hence the worldwide problems. I don't have too much faith in the government to do the right thing either. They seem to only act once they are forced, and spend most of the time covering their backs. Don't forget that our PM was recently belittling the whole problem and bragging that he's shaken the hands of coronavirus patients with no ill effects - how much effort do you think he was putting in to preparing us for the battle, with that attitude?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sat May 02, 2020 5:34 pm

Bradders wrote:
jpstags wrote:
Bradders wrote:

There's no antibody test available to the public yet, no vaccine and no surefire cure. Hence the worldwide problems. I don't have too much faith in the government to do the right thing either. They seem to only act once they are forced, and spend most of the time covering their backs. Don't forget that our PM was recently belittling the whole problem and bragging that he's shaken the hands of coronavirus patients with no ill effects - how much effort do you think he was putting in to preparing us for the battle, with that attitude?

I managed to get antibody tests.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sat May 02, 2020 6:18 pm

Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat May 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Bradders wrote:

Like you, I think I had it and my symptoms were exactly this for 1 week. No cough, not very bad fevers.

The fevers were like hot flushes, the bit that worried me was the shortness of breath which lasted ages, like having air hunger. It wasn't too bad, but took 5 weeks from symptoms start to back to normal.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat May 02, 2020 9:56 pm

Bradders wrote:

Like you, I think I had it and my symptoms were exactly this for 1 week. No cough, not very bad fevers.

The fevers were like hot flushes, the bit that worried me was the shortness of breath which lasted ages, like having air hunger. It wasn't too bad, but took 5 weeks from symptoms start to back to normal.

Yes, it makes you think that everywhere indoors is incredibly stuffy. I drank a lot of water, but couldn't touch alcohol. Beer had no taste when I tried (so I knew that I was ill!).
If it wasn't the virus then it would be a huge coincidence. My wife had the same. A very unusual range of symptoms. Glad it wasn't too bad for you.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum