{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

League Two clubs meeting today (April 21)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: League Two clubs meeting today (April 21)

Postby london amber stag » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Living in the south I do not want regionalised leagues obviously. Surely you have to you have to have a mixture of teams geographically. It would be like going back in time and be so dull. It’s never going to happen.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:22 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:To split leagues 1 and 2 into north and south, it would mean the championship agreeing to relegate 4 teams which I can't see happening. The only alternative would be to promote both champions and have a playoff system for the third place. If that were so, you could not really have any other playoffs in the divisions as you could finish 2nd and still not go up.

We've seen that system in the conference and look how hard it is to get out of there. The plus side is that only one team would be relegated to the pit of hell.

It would mean a massive shake up of the entire promotion/relegation system to avoid that scenario and agreement across all of the leagues.

To me it’s an excessive step to save on average an 30miles less an away day.

Yes I agree. I think it would be a backward step with no long term advantages. The promotion/relegation issues would just cause a log jam (as in the conference) with clubs overspending and in more danger of going bang. Certainly the steps from League 1 to the premiership would be harder for clubs that have temporarily slipped down the pyramid.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:12 pm

So was there an outcome of this meeting?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:52 pm

I wonder if prem teams will offer the elf teams cash to complete the season.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:03 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:So was there an outcome of this meeting?

not seen anything so far

This would be a good place to check on an ongoing basis if anything has come out: https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/League+Two

update - here it is:

League Two clubs committed to ending season but questions remain
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52374576
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:53 pm

Sounds like another of those most productive of league meetings.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:05 pm

It sounds like many clubs would vote to abandon the season if it goes past June 30th.
I'm sure I've read 56 days to complete games.
It's not looking good at the moment.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:18 pm

From Grimsby Telegraph

"A latest suggestion would see each of the three divisions below the Premier League — Championship, League One and League Two — next season divided into north and south sections as a means of cutting travel and accommodation costs to help cash-strapped clubs."

LEAGUE TWO
North: Bradford, Carlisle, Crewe, Grimsby Town, Macclesfield, Mansfield, Morecambe, Oldham, Port Vale, Salford, Scunthorpe, Walsall.

South: Cambridge Utd, Cheltenham, Colchester, Crawley, Exeter, Forest Green, Leyton Orient, Newport Co, Northampton, Plymouth, Stevenage, Swindon.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/spor ... wo-4065964
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Peter Swann, Chairman of Scunthorpe United

Peter Swann has issued an urgent call for football’s decision-makers to act quickly and ‘save the future of lower league clubs.’ The Scunthorpe United chairman believes the situation is reaching crisis point and tough decisions have to be made one way or another. It comes ahead of the latest meeting of League Two clubs on a video call with the EFL, when the big issues will again be debated, such as if, when and how the season should be restarted, plus finances and the critical problem of clubs having no income during the coronavirus pandemic. According to Mr Swann, it’s time for actions to start speaking louder than words.

“All governing bodies need to step forward now with a unilateral plan to secure the future of lower league clubs,” he said. “League One and Two clubs must be the priority at the moment because we get the least of all the TV money that comes into the game. We are at the bottom of the pile. We definitely need help to get us through – and then start working up the leagues. Get League Two surviving, get League One surviving, then see what we can do for the Championship. We are not here for hand-outs usually – but this is for the future of football. This is about the future of the whole of the football league. We need help. We will need a cash influx from somewhere.

The most important thing is we need an end date. We need to know when we will be playing. Or if the season is going to be cancelled, we need to know that too. We do need to be making some very difficult decisions very quickly. You can’t keep drip-feeding money into the game when there’s nothing at the end, no income. If you have no income it will make a huge impact on clubs, especially smaller clubs like ourselves.

Mr Swann continued: “We really need some quick direction and foresight and some financial help. We need financial help for every club, I do not want to see a single club go. Never mind what they were doing before this or what they will do after it, to lose a club because of Covid-19 would be a disaster for the league."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Hopefully our saviour could be that insurance companies are making a huge profit.
Less cars on roads means less accidents.
One insurance company is giving every customer £25.00 back.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:16 pm

League One and Two club owners want season ended by 31st July at the latest
chad.co.uk, By Stephen Thirkill, Wednesday, 22nd April 2020, 2:08 pm

Mansfield Town owner John Radford wants to see the League Two season completed by the end of July.

Mr Radford confirmed his desire in a letter sent to EFL chairman Rick Parry, and released to Chad, following a series of meetings with fellow League One and Two club owners.

The owners met to discuss their concerns over the issues raised by the Covid-19 fall-out, with Mr Radford chairing the meetings.

Read more at https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/l ... uBtwmmOtDo
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:34 pm

League One and League Two clubs join forces to urge EFL to introduce salary caps for next season to stop them from going bust

EFL clubs are struggling to make ends meet due to the coronavirus pandemic
Clubs from League One and League Two have been holding remote meetings
John Radford, the chairman of Mansfield Town, has taken the lead on discussions
A group of 34 clubs has written to the EFL to suggest a salary cap be introduced

Read more at https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... y-cap.html
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:13 pm

from the Daily Mail article:

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:37 pm

A few interesting points there.

It would appear that a few players will be disappointed they will be expected to play until the end of July for no extra money. Traditionally this is when statutory holidays are taken and players take their families away for a break. I suppose clubs could tell players to take their leave entitlement now even though they cannot travel.

If a wage cap is put in place, what will happen if the national league don't follow suit and allow clubs to pay more? Will the better players drop down the leagues to earn more money? Would there be a temporary exemption for promoted national league clubs with players on higher wages still under contract?

More questions than answers I think.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:24 pm

Speaks volumes about him as a person, he must be held in high regards by other clubs to be chosen as the spokesman.
Let's hope the efl listen to the points stated.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:15 pm

Great to see JR taking the lead and like the letter he has set out
All depends on the medical and scientific side as even behind closed doors there will be contact for 90 mins with trainers and managers medics etc
In essence not purely a football decision at all but what do any of us know as they speak tonight about social distancing for a year !!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:29 pm

The players who’s contracts expire at the end of June will have a real dilemma.

Do I ask for another year and refuse to play beyond June if not offered one?
Do I instruct my agent to contact clubs with a view of my future elsewhere?
If I’m offered a role at a rivals club, do I risk injury playing for MTFC out of contract?
Am I insured to play?

No-one out of contract can be forced to play, so if their future at MTFC is over why should they bother to turn up for work after June?
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Beano wrote:The players who’s contracts expire at the end of June will have a real dilema

No-one out of contract can be forced to play, so if their future at MTFC is over why should they bother to turn up for work after June?

Because they would have had 8 weeks full pay without playing a game.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:28 pm

chip63 wrote:
Beano wrote:The players who’s contracts expire at the end of June will have a real dilema

Because they would have had 8 weeks full pay without playing a game.

Yes but don't forget that they have statutory holidays and bank holidays to pull in. These are normally taken in June/July but they can't do that if they have to play. You may say they haven't done anything for weeks except ring fans up etc but the clubs should have put them on leave if they wanted them to play later.

Some will undoubtedly say that they have a soft life, but having been compelled to work bank holiday periods myself, I know how disruptive it is to family life. No two week breaks at Chrimbo or long Easter breaks for players and even when they do get holidays, they still have individual training regimens to go through.

All families need unhindered time away if they can afford it. Footballers are no different.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Most players don't give a fig about working Bank hols n Crimbo. It's football, it's what they've wanted to do all their lives. I'd imagine if you gave them the choice of playing footy on Boxing Day or going round the sales in IKEA etc with t'kids n trouble n strife they be not short in givin footy the nod, it's the business they've lived and strived for all their lives for since they first kiced a ball.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:35 pm

Spiritater wrote:Most players don't give a fig about working Bank hols n Crimbo. It's football, it's what they've wanted to do all their lives. I'd imagine if you gave them the choice of playing footy on Boxing Day or going round the sales in IKEA etc with t'kids n trouble n strife they be not short in givin footy the nod, it's the business they've lived and strived for all their lives for since they first kiced a ball.

Of course they accept it as a normal part of the job but this wouldn't be normal would it. They will have gone almost a year since their last holiday and if they don't get a break in July (and the new season starts on time) they won't get a break until June 2021.

Families grow up fast and time with young children is precious. It's not critical to complete this season so why cause so much disruption?
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:13 pm

The players whose contracts expire at the end of June also receive a month's pay for July.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:33 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The players whose contracts expire at the end of June also receive a month's pay for July.

Is that holiday pay?
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:50 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The players whose contracts expire at the end of June also receive a month's pay for July.

bull!
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum