{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

League Two clubs meeting today (April 21)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

League Two clubs meeting today (April 21)

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:07 am

League Two sides devastated by the coronavirus crisis will hold crisis talks over ending the season, a decision that could impact the Premier League.

On Tuesday, all 24 sides in England's fourth tier will meet for a video conference call to discuss the best course of action with play still suspended and Covid-19 draining their finances. If there is a significant will to end the campaign, a vote is likely to follow. Should League Two opt to declare the league null and void, it may set a precedent for the higher up divisions, including the Premier League. The financial outlook between the divisions are invariably very different, however.

Some League Two chairmen fear being unable to have the funds to resume the season after a decision is made or lockdown restrictions lifted. Clubs still have to pay wages and there is a significant chance that games could be played behind closed doors, meaning no money from ticket sales. Hundreds of players in the league are on shorter-term deals that see their contracts run down on June 30, another enormous financial issue for the 24 teams. Rather than face the financial oblivion which could follow, there is said to be growing interest in ending the campaign as soon as possible.

One club official told SunSport: 'The numbers are growing. This was first brought up in calls to chairman Rick Parry after he came up with the emergency plan to finish the programme. 'Since then more and more have started talking about closing it down. If League Two club chiefs do vote to end the season now, there are concerns the Premier League could follow suit.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... eague.html
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Entire EFL postponed until April 3rd (at earliest)

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:36 am

Seems like pennies are starting to drop all over the country.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby dazstag » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:36 am

if they make the season null and void how will any prize money be sorted? surely better to vote on finishing positions as they are now as they did in scotland
dazstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:38 am

Prize money isn't worth a lot if you are getting relegated. Just share it equally amongst the 24 teams.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby dazstag » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:41 am

the teams with a chance of promotion are not going to vote for that as it means missing out on promotion and the chance of playing some big teams in the league above like sunderland and pompey
dazstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:58 pm

dazstag wrote:the teams with a chance of promotion are not going to vote for that as it means missing out on promotion and the chance of playing some big teams in the league above like sunderland and pompey

They may not want to vote to end the season based upon sporting, relegation or promotion issues, but the harsh financial realities may force them to end the season. Some clubs do not have the financial stability which John has told us we have.

The clubs should not be, though often they do especially as you get nearer the championship, voting for the here and now, but for the longevity of the EFL as a competition.

This is an opportunity, which hopefully we will never see again, for the ‘cluster****’ of the EFL to sort it’s governance and financial stability for the good of the game. Fingers crossed.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:39 pm

Could clubs afford to finish the season with no gate money?
If they made the play offs it will obviously be behind closed doors.
It would also mean they lose the 80% gov wage for players and staff.
Next season could start with many games behind closed doors.
Surely every game will be running at a loss.

I would really like a message from our owners on their thoughts about tomorrow's vote.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:47 pm

The Premier league will never follow suit in this. Hundreds of millions of pounds versus pocket money, from a PL POV.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Several EFL clubs 'days away from going bust' amid wage dispute. Growing number of League One and League Two club owners believe 2019-2020 season should be cancelled.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ge-dispute

Listening to that guys report, I think it's time we heard a message from JR.

Will we have a club or are we going to go to the wall?

When the Crewe game was postponed, the following statement was made on the official club website :

"The club can also inform supporters that owners John & Carolyn Radford have pledged to cover any financial shortfalls over the coming weeks that result from the loss of matchday income."

If nothing has changed since then, why do we need anything else ?

It's easy to say that, but covering £100k/month will soon take its toll. I'd rather not test JRs pockets. If there is a chance we can keep the lights on without bleeding JR dry, might be a better idea. Things have changed.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Re: League Two clubs meeting today (April 21)

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:29 am

League Two clubs to discuss concerns over ability to complete season on Tuesday
By Simon Stone, BBC Sport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52360266

END GAME League Two clubs hold crisis talks to discuss ending season now in move which could influence Prem

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... 1587330048
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Jimstag » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:01 am

With fixtures likely behind closed doors when football does resume how do will that effect the economic model for next season?

Financially many clubs at our level don’t want the season to be extended as it is additional cost with limited additional income, what I don’t understand is how that’s going to change if they can’t let fans in?

Using something like iFollow will reduce incomes, I’m sure sponsors will struggle to justify expenditure partly due to less guarantees of people seeing their adverts but also their own spend pressures. I just don’t see the same levels of cash flowing through the lower leagues in 2021 when clubs are already struggling.

So the point I think I’m making is how is stopping this season early going to change much? it might give clubs a respite but I don’t think the situation is going to change overnight either. Any thoughts on the matter?
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:37 am

Interesting comments from the Fleetwood chairman about maybe restructuring the lower leagues into north/south sections. This is the time to think about things like this. Would it work? Do you think it might happen?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:59 am

I have thought for years that we should go back to north and south leagues.This would mean less travelling and more local derbies.More cash coming in.Win Win.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:28 am

geoffhill wrote:I have thought for years that we should go back to north and south leagues.This would mean less travelling and more local derbies.More cash coming in.Win Win.

I’d be up for that.

Nothing gets the pulse racing like Tuesday night trips to Plymouth and Crawley
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:51 am

What makes people think we would be in the northern league can i ask?

Pretty sure we was always on the edge of the divide back in day and knowing our luck would still be playing Southend, exeter and the Plymouths of this world.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby brum » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:54 am

adamstag wrote:
geoffhill wrote:I have thought for years that we should go back to north and south leagues.This would mean less travelling and more local derbies.More cash coming in.Win Win.

I’d be up for that.

But might still happen as geographically we could be North or South (like in the late 50's). So we could be top end location for South. But agree it would mean less travelling overall for Mansfield based fans but could severely impact those exiled south or north.
brum
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Gruff » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:55 am

Here we go then... straight knockout competition behind closed doors on Saturdays & Wednesday, all televised live on iFollow
(Matches based on League position... Highest position plays at home ALWAYS)

** At this point I can't work out the right numbers to finish it off with 2 in the final with a group league, but you get the idea :)

Preliminary round
Match 01 - 13th place vs 24th place
Match 02 - 14th place vs 23rd place
Match 03 - 15th place vs 22nd place
Match 04 - 16th place vs 21st place
Match 05 - 17th place vs 20th place
Match 06 - 18th place vs 19th place

Preliminary Round 2
Match 07 - Winner Match 01 vs Winner Match 06
Match 08 - Winner Match 02 vs Winner Match 05
Match 09 - Winner Match 03 vs Winner Match 04

1st Round
Match 10 - 1st place vs Winner Match 09
Match 11 - 2nd place vs Winner Match 08
Match 12 - 3rd place vs winner Match 07
Match 13 - 4th place vs 12th place
Match 14 - 5th place vs 11th place
etc. etc. etc.

All player to wear full colour co-ordinated PPE to represent their team, and to abide by 2m social distancing whilst the game is played.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:58 am

Gruff wrote:Here we go then... straight knockout competition behind closed doors on Saturdays & Wednesday, all televised live on iFollow
(Matches based on League position... Highest position plays at home ALWAYS)

** At this point I can't work out the right numbers to finish it off with 2 in the final with a group league, but you get the idea :)

Preliminary round
Match 01 - 13th place vs 24th place
Match 02 - 14th place vs 23rd place
Match 03 - 15th place vs 22nd place
Match 04 - 16th place vs 21st place
Match 05 - 17th place vs 20th place
Match 06 - 18th place vs 19th place

Preliminary Round 2
Match 07 - Winner Match 01 vs Winner Match 06
Match 08 - Winner Match 02 vs Winner Match 05
Match 09 - Winner Match 03 vs Winner Match 04

1st Round
Match 10 - 1st place vs Winner Match 09
Match 11 - 2nd place vs Winner Match 08
Match 12 - 3rd place vs winner Match 07
Match 13 - 4th place vs 12th place
Match 14 - 5th place vs 11th place
etc. etc. etc.

All player to wear full colour co-ordinated PPE to represent their team, and to abide by 2m social distancing whilst the game is played.

We'll be ok as our midfield gets nowhere near the opposition anyway
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:53 pm

Is the meeting being aired live online via tweetbook etc..
Think today could be a massive decision for the future of lower league football.
If the Germans have cancelled Oktoberfest what chance have we got.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:33 pm

chip63 wrote:Is the meeting being aired live online via tweetbook etc..

no
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:44 pm

adamstag wrote:

I’d be up for that.

Rather a good day out an Exeter or Plymouth over a Saturday in Accrington any day of the week.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:52 pm

brum wrote:
adamstag wrote:

I’d be up for that.

But might still happen as geographically we could be North or South (like in the late 50's). So we could be top end location for South. But agree it would mean less travelling overall for Mansfield based fans but could severely impact those exiled south or north.

Bad for Mansfield as we could miss out playing our local rivals.
Good for Wycombe, Northampton etc as they can guarantee derby games.

We could do what Chile do and regionalise east to west instead of north to south?
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:15 pm

brum wrote:
adamstag wrote:

I’d be up for that.

Very roughly calculated as follows.

Current average journey in league two this season is 119 miles, this would reduce to 89 miles if placed in a northern section which also includes the assumption that Barrow would be elected to fill the void (no guarantee that would happen of course).

Drawing a straight line across the country based on current teams in league 1 and 2 plus Barrow means it would cut between Shrewsbury (North) and Peterborough (South).

We'd rank as the 20th most northern team with Crewe, port vale, burton and Shrewsbury falling below us geographically. 16 games would be within 100 miles.

Clearly it would need a number to teams to push us into the southern region Barnsley, Hull, Wigan, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield all teams that could do it over time but would also be reliant on a number of Southern based teams gaining promotion.

However based on current mix we'd play Burton, Lincoln, Grimsby, Rotherham, Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Crewe and Port Vale all very close by.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:06 pm

To split leagues 1 and 2 into north and south, it would mean the championship agreeing to relegate 4 teams which I can't see happening. The only alternative would be to promote both champions and have a playoff system for the third place. If that were so, you could not really have any other playoffs in the divisions as you could finish 2nd and still not go up.

We've seen that system in the conference and look how hard it is to get out of there. The plus side is that only one team would be relegated to the pit of hell.

It would mean a massive shake up of the entire promotion/relegation system to avoid that scenario and agreement across all of the leagues.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:To split leagues 1 and 2 into north and south, it would mean the championship agreeing to relegate 4 teams which I can't see happening. The only alternative would be to promote both champions and have a playoff system for the third place. If that were so, you could not really have any other playoffs in the divisions as you could finish 2nd and still not go up.

We've seen that system in the conference and look how hard it is to get out of there. The plus side is that only one team would be relegated to the pit of hell.

It would mean a massive shake up of the entire promotion/relegation system to avoid that scenario and agreement across all of the leagues.

To me it’s an excessive step to save on average an 30miles less an away day.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum