{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

John Haselden R.I.P.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

John Haselden R.I.P.

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 am

Terry Curran has posted on Facebook that John Haselden has died. He was 76. He was Dave Smith's first team coach at Mansfield Town when we won the Division 4 Championship in 1974-1975.

He was suffering with alzheimer's disease

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/wes ... n-15293355

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... am-2123656

From wikipedia
John Haselden went on to become Huddersfield Town's physiotherapist/coach under Tom Johnston and was promoted to the manager's role in 1977 when the club's board voted him into the hot-seat. This role only lasted six months, though as Johnston came back to Huddersfield for a third time in 1977. Huddersfield Town finished 91st in The Football League in 1978 and Tom Johnson retired and Mick Buxton was brought in as caretaker manager. When Mick Buxton was given the role full-time he made John Haselden his assistant manager and in their full season at the helm Huddersfield Town won the Fourth Division title. Huddersfield Town also gained promotion from Division Three in 1983. In 1986 Haselden was sacked by Town to free up the club's wage bill.

John Haselden then joined Reading's coaching staff and took caretaker charge of Reading in 1991 for a couple of weeks. He left Reading in 1993 to join Nottingham Forest. He worked at Forest for nine years before leaving to join Aston Villa in 2002. He left Villa in 2004 for Notts County. He spent 4 years at Notts County before being replaced by Paul Smith in July 2008.

Mick Buxton took over as coach at Mansfield Town after John Haselden left and became caretaker manager when Dave Smith left the Stags in 1976. He went on to be a very successful manager at Huddersfield Town and signed Mick Laverick from Southend United.

From wikipedia
Mick Buxton's first season was the 1978-79 season where Huddersfield finished 9th in the Fourth Division. It was the season after which would prove to be the catalyst for the most successful period of Town's history in the past 10 years. He offloaded the deadwood and brought in players such as Brian Stanton, Mick Laverick and Steve Kindon. He would eventually go on to be one of the most successful managers in the club's recent history, winning promotion to the Third Division at the end of the 1979/80 season where the team scored 101 goals in the league. This team is still loved by the club to this day and have held reunions in 2000, 2010, 2016 and 2017 where the majority of the team and coaching staff still attend. Buxton then took Huddersfield up to the Second Division in 1983. The Terriers would remain in the second tier for five seasons, but Buxton was sacked on 23 December 1986, to be replaced by Steve Smith. Mick Buxton later returned to Town in March 1993 as coach under Ian Ross, and helped the Terriers on one of their best runs in recent history where they only lost once in last eighteen games to avoid relegation. Buxton resigned at the end of the season and Ian Ross soon followed suit.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: John Haselden R.I.P.

Postby Wilfred » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 am

Sad news. RIP Nutty.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:36 am

When the Stags sacked Dave Smith didn’t John Hazelden take over as caretaker manager or was it somebody else?
Whoever it was had a superb unbeaten record of about a dozen games or so
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:08 pm

Sad news.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm

RIP
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum