{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The more you stay at home, the sooner we will be back.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The more you stay at home, the sooner we will be back.

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:45 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: The more you stay at home, the sooner we will be back.

Postby Fitzy499 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:29 pm

At least this will give Mez the chance to get the grass back and pitch up to a good standard again
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:39 pm

My isolation note runs out next Sunday. Providing all is well I have to return to work on the 6th. Its nowhere near essential work but it can't be done from home and I work in a small team in a small-ish room. I'd rather not have to travel into work using public transport (I have no choice on that) where I pass Queens medical centre and get off at Nottingham train station.

I'm really apprehensive about it. Seems unsafe and unnecessary. But they won't shut the company. We can't export the machine at the minute anyway.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:46 pm

gazza1988 wrote:My isolation note runs out next Sunday. Providing all is well I have to return to work on the 6th. Its nowhere near essential work but it can't be done from home and I work in a small team in a small-ish room. I'd rather not have to travel into work using public transport (I have no choice on that) where I pass Queens medical centre and get off at Nottingham train station.

I'm really apprehensive about it. Seems unsafe and unnecessary. But they won't shut the company. We can't export the machine at the minute anyway.

Think about those folk driving the buses for sometimes 11 hours a day. Everyone of their passengers could potentially be a carrier. Let's do our best to minimize contact by using the contactless payment facilties and not cash.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:17 pm

Spiritater wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:My isolation note runs out next Sunday. Providing all is well I have to return to work on the 6th. Its nowhere near essential work but it can't be done from home and I work in a small team in a small-ish room. I'd rather not have to travel into work using public transport (I have no choice on that) where I pass Queens medical centre and get off at Nottingham train station.

Think about those folk driving the buses for sometimes 11 hours a day. Everyone of their passengers could potentially be a carrier. Let's do our best to minimize contact by using the contactless payment facilties and not cash.

I have a prepaid robin hood card for the tram. Contactless isn't an issue (except when they check tickets) just 1 extra person on the tram, that in the grand scheme of things, doesn't "need" to be there.

Whilst I have been ill and had many of the symptoms associated with Coronavirus doesn't mean I have had it. It's like when someone googles symptoms and the result is anything from a mild cold to a terminal illness.

I'm 90% sure I have had it, the company I work for had a service technician return from China in December 2019 and my colleague visited family in Italy just before Christmas. On top of this I go to the train station a few times a day on packed public transport that passes a hospital and the University up until nearly 2 weeks ago. It is highly likely I came into contact with it. On my way to work the tram nearly empties at QMC for all the staff to go to work. That's a "high risk" journey to me.

I took my concerns to my bosses and they say I'm overreacting and looking for an excuse to have time off. What do others feel? Am I overreacting?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

I have a prepaid robin hood card for the tram. Contactless isn't an issue (except when they check tickets) just 1 extra person on the tram, that in the grand scheme of things, doesn't "need" to be there.

Whilst I have been ill and had many of the symptoms associated with Coronavirus doesn't mean I have had it. It's like when someone googles symptoms and the result is anything from a mild cold to a terminal illness.

I'm 90% sure I have had it, the company I work for had a service technician return from China in December 2019 and my colleague visited family in Italy just before Christmas. On top of this I go to the train station a few times a day on packed public transport that passes a hospital and the University up until nearly 2 weeks ago. It is highly likely I came into contact with it. On my way to work the tram nearly empties at QMC for all the staff to go to work. That's a "high risk" journey to me.

I took my concerns to my bosses and they say I'm overreacting and looking for an excuse to have time off. What do others feel? Am I overreacting?

For what it's worth, I don't think you're overreacting and I think your boss is an arsehole.

One of our lasses mates was saying last night (on Zoom) that where she works they are still being told to go in, and she's afraid if she doesn't she'll be sacked. She is an asthmatic & has had the NHS text telling her to stay home. She works in HR for God's sake. She could easily work at home & this is a major company that could comfortably furlough non essential staff.

She ain't the swiftest pigeon in the loft, but no way should she be getting bullied into putting her health & her kids health at risk.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby spainmick » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:57 pm

You shouldn't have to go to work but money is being put before health...over here in Spain we have been in lockdown for 15 days, extended for another 15 and the government have ordered nonessential businesses to shut and have agreed all employees to be paid
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 am

Sneag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

For what it's worth, I don't think you're overreacting and I think your boss is an arsehole.

One of our lasses mates was saying last night (on Zoom) that where she works they are still being told to go in, and she's afraid if she doesn't she'll be sacked. She is an asthmatic & has had the NHS text telling her to stay home. She works in HR for God's sake. She could easily work at home & this is a major company that could comfortably furlough non essential staff.

She ain't the swiftest pigeon in the loft, but no way should she be getting bullied into putting her health & her kids health at risk.
I don't think you are overreacting. I have sympathy for any person who finds themselves in this situation, especially if the have a medical condition like asthma. Not only does it compromise a person's health, potentially it's another patient for the NHS to deal with.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:11 am

Gazza, they say there is going to be a test kit on sale this week at boots and amazon ,this says if you have had the virus.
If you have had it you can carry on as normal .
Then i expect panic buying again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... body-kits/
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:35 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

My place isn't shutting either for the time being and is also saying people are over reacting about it. I don't think it will to be too long until nearly everything is forced to shut because the numbers are just going to get worse
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:16 am

The amazon warehouse on the Marr route is still being built ,probably 300 plus working on it ,Is that essential work ? .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:35 am

Like spainmick says we are on lockdown ,but a proper lockdown not like the uk ,eventually the governments worldwide are going to decide whether the virus is more or less important than the economies ,trump is already alluding to it lets hope its decreasing before the decisions are made
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:23 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Gazza, they say there is going to be a test kit on sale this week at boots and amazon ,this says if you have had the virus.
If you have had it you can carry on as normal .
Then i expect panic buying again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... body-kits/

I see this as a highly dangerous prospect, and hopefully the lockdown rules won't be relaxed because of this.

Firstly, nowhere in that article does it say that you can't still carry and transmit the virus even if you have the antibodies, so potentially we could see a second wave if people who 'pass' the test start going out and about again as normal.

Secondly, how can you prove that you have taken the test successfully ? Therefore, people who are bored or self important will claim to have taken it and 'passed' and could again cause a second wave.

The only useful element to this test is allowing key workers to return to work and keep the essential work ticking over. The rest of us need to be sitting this out for a long time to come or we will never eradicate the virus.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:41 am

Sorry to be a debbie downer Dave, but we'll never eradicate it. A cure or vaccine is the best and only real hope. As we know, it hasn't been found yet but likely will be soon and be ready next year.

They could lock us down for a months but if one person has it, as soon as we all go out again it will be the same as a reset back to the early days. But it will spread again. My prediction now is waves of being in and out of lockdown, perhaps 6 weeks at a time throughout 2020, maybe longer until we have the drugs.

The thing to watch now is Wuhan. Restrictions are lifiting. It will be interesting to see if or how quickly cases rise again and if they lock down again in a few weeks.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby tinman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:01 am

Herd immunity is the only way

Let me know when you've all done it and I'll come out of hiding ;)
First Stags Match Stags 0 Crewe 0, 14th September 1974
tinman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:06 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I just wanted know if I was being unreqasonable. Anyway I'm due back a week today so still time for tougher measures to be introduced.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 am

Jamie wrote:Sorry to be a debbie downer Dave, but we'll never eradicate it. A cure or vaccine is the best and only real hope. As we know, it hasn't been found yet but likely will be soon and be ready next year.

They could lock us down for a months but if one person has it, as soon as we all go out again it will be the same as a reset back to the early days. But it will spread again. My prediction now is waves of being in and out of lockdown, perhaps 6 weeks at a time throughout 2020, maybe longer until we have the drugs.

The thing to watch now is Wuhan. Restrictions are lifiting. It will be interesting to see if or how quickly cases rise again and if they lock down again in a few weeks.

Can't disagree with anything you say their Jamie, but I still say that this test could potentially lead to a false sense of security and another explosion of cases. To make it commercially available to the general public is a very dangerous thing to do and smacks of profiteering by the manufacturers and the wholesalers.

With regards to the lockdown then yes it could be eradicated by this process. If contact is minimised then there will come a point where everyone infected has either recovered, or is sadly no longer with us. At this point the virus ceases to exist in the UK. The threat then is overseas travel to and from other countries how haven't achieved the same outcome.

Yes I agree that we could go through waves of lockdown being relaxed and then tightened again, but the relaxation won't take us back to normal life as things will still be controlled to some degree. I would be surprised if another football match is played with a crowd in attendance in the UK in 2020.

Going back to gazza's original question. No you are not overreacting at all and I have sympathy for your situation. It would be interesting to know how your bosses can justify staying open if it is non-essential work. Maybe an anonymous phone call to the authorities could be made ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:42 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Jamie wrote:Sorry to be a debbie downer Dave, but we'll never eradicate it. A cure or vaccine is the best and only real hope. As we know, it hasn't been found yet but likely will be soon and be ready next year.

Can't disagree with anything you say their Jamie, but I still say that this test could potentially lead to a false sense of security and another explosion of cases. To make it commercially available to the general public is a very dangerous thing to do and smacks of profiteering by the manufacturers and the wholesalers.

With regards to the lockdown then yes it could be eradicated by this process. If contact is minimised then there will come a point where everyone infected has either recovered, or is sadly no longer with us. At this point the virus ceases to exist in the UK. The threat then is overseas travel to and from other countries how haven't achieved the same outcome.

Yes I agree that we could go through waves of lockdown being relaxed and then tightened again, but the relaxation won't take us back to normal life as things will still be controlled to some degree. I would be surprised if another football match is played with a crowd in attendance in the UK in 2020.

Going back to gazza's original question. No you are not overreacting at all and I have sympathy for your situation. It would be interesting to know how your bosses can justify staying open if it is non-essential work. Maybe an anonymous phone call to the authorities could be made ?

Yes we are in lock down ,but this is the biggest danger,look were you can still come from.

https://www.heathrow.com/arrivals
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:43 am

gazza1988 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I just wanted know if I was being unreqasonable. Anyway I'm due back a week today so still time for tougher measures to be introduced.

You are not over reacting Gazza and my company is saying similar things and staying open. Funny how the essential workers are the under paid and usually under valued. Hope you’re feeling better. I also share your concerns. Your boss is an arsehole if that’s what he said......but then again most bosses are!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:41 am

spanishstag wrote:Like spainmick says we are on lockdown ,but a proper lockdown not like the uk ,eventually the governments worldwide are going to decide whether the virus is more or less important than the economies ,trump is already alluding to it lets hope its decreasing before the decisions are made

Money will eventually be more important than life...
Its wrong but will soon be the case..
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:12 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
spanishstag wrote:Like spainmick says we are on lockdown ,but a proper lockdown not like the uk ,eventually the governments worldwide are going to decide whether the virus is more or less important than the economies ,trump is already alluding to it lets hope its decreasing before the decisions are made

Money will eventually be more important than life...
Its wrong but will soon be the case..

hasn't it always been the case?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:02 pm

:?: :?: With me being in self isolation , i need to have a website built , does anyone have any advice , ideas of cost i would be looking at ,know a good local website designer.
Last edited by STAGS FOR LIFE on Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:09 pm

Don’t think the lockdown rules apply to the industrial estate I work on at least 80% off it is still working as per usual , is making furniture or garage doors , or making cardboard boxes essential ???
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Don’t think the lockdown rules apply to the industrial estate I work on at least 80% off it is still working as per usual , is making furniture or garage doors , or making cardboard boxes essential ???

Cardboard boxes ( otherwise known as cheap coffins) might become essential.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:

Two very sensible posts gentlemen. I agree with much of what you have said. Keep safe.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum