{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Funniest things seen at a stags game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Funniest things seen at a stags game

Postby DazMondo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:12 pm

[bbc-radio][/bbc-radio]Back in the early 80s, a Monday night game against Bradford, whom we seemed to draw regularly at that time.
I was in the North stand. A bit of a kerfuffle was occurring to my right between a small group of skinheads and police officers.
This resulted in a skinhead being arrested and led away.
Only then did we see why.
As he was being led around the pitch we could see he was adorned in a standard green pilot jacket and doc marten boots. He also was wearing a pair of multi coloured speedo type swimming trunks.
Apparently, offensive clothing :lol: :lol:
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Funniest things seen at a stags game

Postby Jamie » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Cambridge away, the 2 - 1 win with 9 men. A coppers helmet ended up in the away end. Very funny!
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby oldnic » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Not funny but rewarding. Stags v Middlesborough in the cup. Big Bill Curry knocked goalie and ball into the net old Quarry lane terrace. Found a wallet on the floor, shouted to a policeman who was walking round the pitch. He wouldnt take it off me but dragged me over the wall. I was in my late teens, 6'+.He took me down the tunnel in the old West stand. Took my address and the wallet, i then had to walk up the tunnel just before the players came out, weird feeling. Clambered back over the wall. Enjoyed the game. Two weeks later received a letter with a fiver in it thanking me for my honesty and a invite to visit the owner of the wallet if ever i went up to Middlesborough. Really enjoyed that sentiment, one football fan to another. Cant remember the year but i think we won.
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:50 pm

oldnic wrote:Not funny but rewarding. Stags v Middlesborough in the cup. Big Bill Curry knocked goalie and ball into the net old Quarry lane terrace. Found a wallet on the floor, shouted to a policeman who was walking round the pitch. He wouldnt take it off me but dragged me over the wall. I was in my late teens, 6'+.He took me down the tunnel in the old West stand. Took my address and the wallet, i then had to walk up the tunnel just before the players came out, weird feeling. Clambered back over the wall. Enjoyed the game. Two weeks later received a letter with a fiver in it thanking me for my honesty and a invite to visit the owner of the wallet if ever i went up to Middlesborough. Really enjoyed that sentiment, one football fan to another. Cant remember the year but i think we won.

I remember that game. They had beaten us 4-5 in the league earlier in the season and thought they were going to do it again.

My other memory from the game was some poor sod getting his head split wide open. When the stags scored, a member of the crowd threw his shopping bag in the air. His flask came out and landed on the poor chaps head in the lower West Stand. There was blood everywhere and it's funny what makes a game stand out in your memory.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:00 pm

Same game and I seem to recall just before kuckoff and Middleboro fan came out north stand weaved drunkenly to centre circle tried to kick ball and missed. Dressed like Andy Cap with scarf round neck and fag wedged in mouth.
Those were the days when police never even noticed him get on the pitch as they where engrossed in spotting hooligans in stand
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:29 pm

Ronnie at Bury away
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:40 pm

My nephew (who is a big unit) getting wedged between the seats at Rushden during a goal celebration and the geezer in the row behind dropping moulten hot pie filling on his neck.

Oh how we laughed as the gravy boiled away on his neck while his arms were trapped. It's always funny when it's someone else getting hurt. Just as nothing prompt more laughter from a group of blokes than one of their mates getting whacked in the raspberrys.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby BELSE » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:54 pm

Went to Aston Villa long time ago with a few mates
and girl friend was a evening kick off .
Stags score we go mad then notice in wrong end
stags won 1 0 then got lost on ring road got home about
1 am dropping girl friend home asked me to go in said
no thanks as her dad was policeman and I had not passed test
BELSE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby acasman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Our full back Barry Foster catching a ball in the penalty area coz he heard a whistle which came from the terraces not the ref ! Penalty given .
acasman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sneag » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:12 pm

acasman wrote:Our full back Barry Foster catching a ball in the penalty area coz he heard a whistle which came from the terraces not the ref ! Penalty given .

I can remember that. Barry caught the ball and dutifully handed it to the ref, who then gave a pen.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:14 pm

Chief running off to the toilet during a game and returning to a chorus of he sh*ts when he wants. :lol:
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:23 pm

BELSE wrote:Went to Aston Villa long time ago with a few mates
and girl friend was a evening kick off .
Stags score we go mad then notice in wrong end
stags won 1 0 then got lost on ring road got home about
1 am dropping girl friend home asked me to go in said
no thanks as her dad was policeman and I had not passed test

Malcolm Partridge scored . Brilliant night .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:32 pm

Funniest chant I can remember apart from who's the fat bird in the pink at Huddersfield , Towards the end of Cox's reign We took a large following to Shrewsbury and there was a lot of banter between fans . They didn't take kindly to us chanting Liam Lawrence is a stag and when they scored they gave it the who are you chant .Stags faithful replied with we lose every week,we lose every week , your nothing special we lose every week.

Just about summed football up for me .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Stags against Bury late 1970's, early 1980's. Players removed from field during violent thunderstorm. While we all waited for players to return, some Stags lads came running out of the tunnel and headed towards the North Stand goal. They then proceeded to simulate a game of football with an imaginary ball. One lad slid in sending another into orbit. The pretend ref then pointed to the penalty spot. The whole ground were on tenterhooks as the striker sent an imaginary football into the North Stand net past the bemused goal keeper. He then celebrated with a knee slide towards the fans.

This was without doubt the funniest episode I have seen at a Stags match. Back in the day there were no stewards to stop the fun. When Stags and Bury returned the late Neville Hamilton scored the winner from a header into North Stand net. Great memories of an unforgettable game.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Sneag wrote:
acasman wrote:Our full back Barry Foster catching a ball in the penalty area coz he heard a whistle which came from the terraces not the ref ! Penalty given .

I can remember that. Barry caught the ball and dutifully handed it to the ref, who then gave a pen.

I remember it too. Was at the QLE
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:17 pm

Probably shouldn’t have found it funny but Colin Foster knocking a player clean out with a storter of a punch. Might have been Pompey.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:29 pm

York away about 20 years ago. Someone from away terrace had thrown a half empty bottle of coke onto the pitch. Ball drops to Sisson, he shoots and makes contact with ball and bottle at same time. Keeper dives for the bottle as ball goes into opposite corner of the goal.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:43 pm

Hartlepool away mid 80’s (shared away end with separating fence) heavy banter all through the first half.

Pools fans start fighting with cops at half time, 1 lad gets marched across pitch with his arm up his back.

His mate runs to the centre circle and “Kung foo’s” the cop in an attempt to perform a heroic rescue. It all ended with several cops fighting on the pitch and Greavsie coming out of the changing rooms to tell US to calm down :lol:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:38 am

i seem to remember a sunderland fan, wearing white overalls tumbling onto the pitch, drunk, and obviously having wet himself
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am

Ronaldo in a program booth at Boston - which got tipped over
Ronaldo flat out across the terrace at peteborough
Ronaldo turning up in his hospital gown at Tranmere
Ronaldo trying to beat up Billy mckewen at Torquay away
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby tinman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Cruel, but funny at the time.

Mr Toupee man, (seller of the football program around the North Stand) in the the 70's having his hairpiece removed and thrown around the crowd.

Disclaimer
No hairpieces were injured during the melee
First Stags Match Stags 0 Crewe 0, 14th September 1974
tinman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby chip63 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm

The 118 steward.
Always made me smile when we sang 118 118 118.....
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Cossall_Stag » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:50 pm

I remember in the early 80's 4 of us going on the public bus to Doncaster. Having just about survived the hostile atmosphere on the walk to the ground with a bunch of Donny lads wanting to have a go we got near the ground and saw the welcoming site of the psycho express trundling towards us, complete with 3 lads stood on the roof doing the surfboard as it turned into the car park. Donny lads dispersed quick time they must have thought they were nutters. Can't remember the score but I think we drew
Cossall_Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Random Hero » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:06 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Ronaldo in a program booth at Boston - which got tipped over
Ronaldo flat out across the terrace at peteborough
Ronaldo turning up in his hospital gown at Tranmere
Ronaldo trying to beat up Billy mckewen at Torquay away

Ronaldo asleep with chips and curry on his head at Torquay
Ronaldo asleep with pie on his head at Scunthorpe
Ronaldo falling asleep in a phone box at 8am after a bottle of vodka on the train to Liverpool Lime Street
Ronaldo turning up in a hospital gown in the pub later the same day
Samo 'borrowing' 4 cooked chickens from services
Scully stealing that treasure chest from the pub at Buxton on way back from Macclesfield
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:36 pm

I never found anything funny about Sean's mates encouraging him to get paraletic drunk & then treating the lad as a joke. He's got a heart the size of a whale that lad he deserves a lot more respect.

I can think of at least two occassions where he could have ended up in serious (as in life threatening) situations if other folk hadn't have looked after him.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum