{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Entire EFL postponed until April 3rd (at earliest)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Entire EFL postponed until April 3rd (at earliest)

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:14 pm

Hope you been watching these daily , today's is a must watch.

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:57 pm

FROM Telegraph

Merkel in quarantine after doctor tests positive for virus
Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor has gone into quarantine after being informed that a doctor who administered a vaccine to her has tested positive for the new coronavirus.

More as we get it.

https://13wham.com/news/coronavirus/ger ... quarantine
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:20 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:FROM Telegraph

Merkel in quarantine after doctor tests positive for virus
Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor has gone into quarantine after being informed that a doctor who administered a vaccine to her has tested positive for the new coronavirus.

More as we get it.

https://13wham.com/news/coronavirus/ger ... quarantine

Think you going well off topic now friend
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 am

Getting back on topic.
The biggest issue with attempting to complete the season will be player contracts. This probably won't have as big an impact at top level, but lower down we know how many clubs will be similar to us and have a high percentage of their players out of contract at the end of June.
With the predicted peak of the virus being late May / early June there is no way matches will be back on before July at the earliest.
We then get the complication of completing the season with next years squads, or extending contracts till this season has ended. The first option would see legal challenges if somebody gains promotion or avoids relegation with a stronger squad than they would have had. The second option throws up the possibility that somebody gets injured playing for their old club when they have already agreed a deal with their new club.
Whatever the football authorities decide to do is going to cause a degree of upset, but for once the famous Bill Shankly quote is wrong.
The best thing to do in my opinion us to write off the whole 2019/20 season, pretend it never happened, and start afresh with the 2020/21 pre-season when the time is right.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:33 am

I think they should cancel 20/21, or look at ways to reduce it. One way could be a 1 season only reduction to north/south league with promotions split between leagues. So in our case it will be a 12 team league, 24 games 2 promotion spots in each league and then just re merge once the leagues can return to normal.

This would mean that this season can be finished starting in August (with a pre season before hand) and then once that's done have a mini break and the start the reduced season ending in May and then business as usual for 21/22.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:49 am

gazza1988 wrote:I think they should cancel 20/21, or look at ways to reduce it. One way could be a 1 season only reduction to north/south league with promotions split between leagues. So in our case it will be a 12 team league, 24 games 2 promotion spots in each league and then just re merge once the leagues can return to normal.

This would mean that this season can be finished starting in August (with a pre season before hand) and then once that's done have a mini break and the start the reduced season ending in May and then business as usual for 21/22.

But that won't solve the problem of players out of contract Gazza.

I agree with Dave, the season cannot possibly resume with any integrity of semblance to what has passed before and to try anything different would impact on future seasons. Yes it's unfortunate on the teams that would have gained promotion but that's better than condemning a team to relegation who would have survived under normal circumstances. It's much better to simply start again with all clubs at the level they were at before this total disaster on mankind.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stockportstag » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:47 am

There's one thing for sure, but there will be no footbball until July at the earliest
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:37 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:I think they should cancel 20/21, or look at ways to reduce it. One way could be a 1 season only reduction to north/south league with promotions split between leagues. So in our case it will be a 12 team league, 24 games 2 promotion spots in each league and then just re merge once the leagues can return to normal.

I agree with Dave, the season cannot possibly resume with any integrity of semblance to what has passed before and to try anything different would impact on future seasons. Yes it's unfortunate on the teams that would have gained promotion but that's better than condemning a team to relegation who would have survived under normal circumstances. It's much better to simply start again with all clubs at the level they were at before this total disaster on mankind.

There's a fund to help those clubs who will struggle. The players attached to the clubs would benefit from that as well. So using that fund and the fact that football would be resuming clubs can either renew the contracts of current players or the league allow the usual transfer windows either at the same time or weeks before football resumes. Don't forget that any player who is out of contract and doesn't want to renew they can leave. Clubs could always loan players from other clubs if they are struggling so much.

Either way no matter the option they take contacts run out 30th June so it's an issue regardless.

At this point they either cancel this season or cancel next season. Cancel this season and the fallout will be huge, cancel next season then they've got 13-14 months to sort this season out. Keep both season and just play alot of games in a relatively short period of time while a respiratory virus is going around is not the greatest idea imo.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:16 pm

i think the ability to finish this season or even start next season is the least of footballs problems at this time.
How many survive and how many will continue even after it's over will be the main factor.
Ticket sales if it restarts will be massively down due to redundancies etc..
Think our target was 4000 gates, I'd be surprised if we got 2000.

On a lighter note if players stayed 6 foot apart during games it would make a very interesting game.
It would be like basketball with scores of 70-68. :D

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:43 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

There's a fund to help those clubs who will struggle. The players attached to the clubs would benefit from that as well. So using that fund and the fact that football would be resuming clubs can either renew the contracts of current players or the league allow the usual transfer windows either at the same time or weeks before football resumes. Don't forget that any player who is out of contract and doesn't want to renew they can leave. Clubs could always loan players from other clubs if they are struggling so much.

Either way no matter the option they take contacts run out 30th June so it's an issue regardless.

At this point they either cancel this season or cancel next season. Cancel this season and the fallout will be huge, cancel next season then they've got 13-14 months to sort this season out. Keep both season and just play alot of games in a relatively short period of time while a respiratory virus is going around is not the greatest idea imo.

Sorry Gazza but that just doesn't hold water. If you allow clubs to bring in new players, that is a different ball game as they wouldn't have been able to do so if the season had continued. If you don't allow players to move on you are effectively denying their right to work for who they want to. As an example, Khan would still be our player as would Logan and we would have to be paying them. I doubt they would get a game whereas they could move in June and get a good career at another club. The season is dead in the water and there is nothing anyone can do to complete it in a fair manner.

In respect of next year, the new season can start at whatever point it is safe to do so. If that means November/December or even later then so be it. Remember the 2022 World Cup is probably going to be played in the winter and there were calls to alter the season's timing anyway so it could fit quite well. Whenever it does start, everyone would have a full and meaningful season to get their teeth into. If you think about it, there is no incentive for most clubs to want to finish this season as lots (like us) have absolutely nothing to play for.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm

It's difficult times. There is no easy solution. Clubs used to be able to loan players in the loan window, it's not like football hasn't done this kind of thing before. You could even allow clubs to replace the out of contract players in a 1 for 1 situation.

There will be players who want to move on and would be forced to play for a club they don't want to. This season is screwed and next season is screwed. Many clubs complain about fixture backlog, the cure that is being banded around is to increase this backlog. They have to think about the players, no matter how fit they are they can't be expected to play 3 games a week for weeks on end. It's dangerous.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:20 pm

People are dying and more will in the coming weeks and months.

Football is irrelevant
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Well said.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:07 pm

bellwhiff wrote:People are dying and more will in the coming weeks and months.

Football is irrelevant

I can't disagree with that but the thought of a behind closed game being televised on TV would make me very happy.
Anything that offers a glimmer of normality would be a massive boost to many.

Stay safe all.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:08 pm

chip63 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:People are dying and more will in the coming weeks and months.

Football is irrelevant

I can't disagree with that but the thought of a behind closed game being televised on TV would make me very happy.
Anything that offers a glimmer of normality would be a massive boost to many.

Stay safe all.

And I can’t disagree with that but we are weeks from that at the moment
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:44 pm

Did we not have harsh winter 63 or 64 were games were not played for 3 months ? What happened with backlog then ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:48 pm

The One wrote:Did we not have harsh winter 63 or 64 were games were not played for 3 months ? What happened with backlog then ?

Less domestic competitions, less clubs involved in Europe and on a much lower scale, Euros was a 4 team tournament.
Add to this the fact that player welfare is a consideration now whereas back then they just gave players pain killing injections and they played on - hence why so many 60s and 70s footballers were semi crippled in retirement.
There is nothing in life that is comparable to how it was 50-60 years ago, and definitely not professional football.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:01 pm

What happens if this isn’t over until June?

The government have hinted this could be for 6-9 weeks - which takes us until the beginning of June - players would need a week or so together to get going again - then you’d need to play 12 games or so - you’d have no end until august at the earliest.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:25 pm

The only fair thing to do is null and void the whole season. No ups no downs, no titles awarded etc.

There will be inevitably legal cases filed, I'd expect Liverpool, Wolves , Sheffield United West brom and Leeds to be at the front end of this queue.

On a plus note, the road cycling this week has been phenomenal. Beautiful weather and fewer cars on the road. Got out every day since last Sunday!
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:45 pm

I’d be really surprised if there are any sporting events whatsoever before September.

The Pooh is yet to hit the fan :cry:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:41 pm

The F.A want The WSL & Championship finished by August !
I don’t think this will be possible, as they will have to resume by July . maybe that’s what they will decide for the men’s leagues ?
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:30 pm

Read that the FA has agreed that the 2019-20 season can be extended indefinitely.
Bbc red button.
Makes sense but not the players contracts etc...
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:18 pm

Truncated 20/21 season? Teams could play each other once, with one wild card game. 12 home 12 away.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:15 pm

Sneag wrote:Truncated 20/21 season? Teams could play each other once, with one wild card game. 12 home 12 away.

So next season would be ruined as well.

They just need to accept that this season is over and write it off. I can't see why any club without anything to play for (and that is the majority) would want to go to the lengths necessary to finish this year. What is so difficult to understand that we won't be going anywhere for months.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum