{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Entire EFL postponed until April 3rd (at earliest)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Entire EFL postponed until April 3rd (at earliest)

Postby Sneag » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:10 pm

I suspect the football authorities are afraid of litigation from clubs missing out on promotion if the pull the plug on the season.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Sneag wrote:I suspect the football authorities are afraid of litigation from clubs missing out on promotion if the pull the plug on the season.

Maybe so but I'm sure the ones who suffer are just as likely to sue. And would litigation succeed anyway under the circumstances? It's not the EFL's fault the season has come to an abrupt end and I can't see how they have been negligent and therefor liable.

I feel they would be more likely to be liable if someone gets relegated because of their insistence in playing over a short break following a long layoff
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:35 pm

From BBC WEBSITE

Forest Green Rovers owner Dale Vince said suspending all professional matches on 13 March was a "mistake" because the virus had "barely impacted the country" by that stage.

"I think cancelling all games until 3 April was a mistake," Dale told BBC Sport.

"I think it was an error of judgment - there were a few cases in the Premier League of self-isolation.

"In that three to four week period we could have virtually finished our season playing Saturday to Tuesday.

"Instead of shutting down I would have doubled down and said let's play our way to the end of the season as soon as possible because the virus and the rate of infection across the county is not going to get better in two, three or four months."

I agree with him, the EFL closed football down before it was Government policy regarding crowds. They should of carried on playing and advised the elderly and more at risk groups not to attend.
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:43 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:From BBC WEBSITE

Forest Green Rovers owner Dale Vince said suspending all professional matches on 13 March was a "mistake" because the virus had "barely impacted the country" by that stage.

"I think cancelling all games until 3 April was a mistake," Dale told BBC Sport.

"I think it was an error of judgment - there were a few cases in the Premier League of self-isolation.

"In that three to four week period we could have virtually finished our season playing Saturday to Tuesday.

"Instead of shutting down I would have doubled down and said let's play our way to the end of the season as soon as possible because the virus and the rate of infection across the county is not going to get better in two, three or four months."

I agree with him, the EFL closed football down before it was Government policy regarding crowds. They should of carried on playing and advised the elderly and more at risk groups not to attend.

Is this post for real?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:52 pm

My take on what’s been said by players, managers, officials and ex players etc is that next season will not start until this one has been finished. It’s easier to delay or postpone next season and get this season finished!!! Otherwise it will be a legal minefield for football.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:30 am

I'm sure there would be legal challenges, but we are not in normal times. This virus may end up somehow providing blanket legal exceptions.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:53 am

So as I said. This season will now be finished before the next one starts. The right decision has been taken imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Stockportstag » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:58 am

The man's a fool. Health always comes first.
There will be no more games played this season, especially as Boris is has said it will be yanother 12 weeks before things improve..
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Johnny H » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:14 pm

On what date do players contracts come to a close......assuming they are Out of Contract at the end of the season
Is it the last day in May ?

Could clubs get to a stage where they have games left to play but under Employment law players cant or won't play because their contracts have ended ?
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:08 pm

I am as disappointed as everyone else about the loss of football, closure of restaurants, theatres, etc but COVID-19 will kill thousands of us and, compared to this, social disruption is a minuscule amount to pay.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:52 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:I am as disappointed as everyone else about the loss of football, closure of restaurants, theatres, etc but COVID-19 will kill thousands of us and, compared to this, social disruption is a minuscule amount to pay.

Was listening to a guy from Chicago on tv who was in the financial markets, a money man.

He was saying that we should have just let the virus rip and get over with it in a short time.

He was actually saying business of 99% of the population was more important than 1% of deaths.

Can you believe it?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby awalkinthepark » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:05 pm

But at best we would have played 2 matches (maybe 3) before the government advice changed so his argument is invalid.
awalkinthepark
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby west country stag » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:35 pm

Will you still be allowed to commentate on the games if they are being played behind close doors Martin ?
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:44 pm

part time pete wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:I am as disappointed as everyone else about the loss of football, closure of restaurants, theatres, etc but COVID-19 will kill thousands of us and, compared to this, social disruption is a minuscule amount to pay.

Was listening to a guy from Chicago on tv who was in the financial markets, a money man.

He was saying that we should have just let the virus rip and get over with it in a short time.

He was actually saying business of 99% of the population was more important than 1% of deaths.

Can you believe it?

I can absolutely believe it, what's 70-80 million dead compared to the mighty $ to these shitheads.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:15 pm

Gordon Gecko lives. What a clown
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:20 pm

Following today's announcement in respect of sporting events, it now seems obvious that there will be no tournaments etc (even behind closed doors) for at least 3 months. In view of that surely the EFL must admit defeat and abandon the season.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:15 pm

627 Deaths in Italy last 24 hours .6000 New cases :(

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/euro ... index.html
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:52 pm

Sneag wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Can you believe it?

I can absolutely believe it, what's 70-80 million dead compared to the mighty $ to these shitheads.

The twanker wouldn't probably bat an eyelid if members of his own family were amongst the victims
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:32 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Sneag wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Can you believe it?

The twanker wouldn't probably bat an eyelid if members of his own family were amongst the victims

From a pure financial perspective, he’s right of course

Virus will be over in a matter of weeks
Far less pensions to pay out
Care home crisis solved for a few years
Economic impact minimised
Far fewer job losses
Chance to avoid world recession
Etc etc etc

But from a human perspective he’s a proper bell end
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:24 pm

WW1 & the American Civil War were both supposed to be over in a few weeks. Didn't quite pan out like that.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:19 am

Beano wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Sneag wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Can you believe it?

From a pure financial perspective, he’s right of course

Virus will be over in a matter of weeks
Far less pensions to pay out
Care home crisis solved for a few years
Economic impact minimised
Far fewer job losses
Chance to avoid world recession
Etc etc etc

But from a human perspective he’s a proper bell end

And if we let this virus evolve and get stronger and stronger like it is doing?
They don't shut down the whole world for no reason.
Yes it's killing older people at the moment but no one is working to pay for future generations.
The younger generation need to wake up and realise they could be next.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 am

:(

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:34 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::(

Data seems to show a link between age, underlying medical conditions but also smoking. Italy tops this list. Spain isn’t far behind, but I’m amazed we are also on the same trajectory. Worrying times right now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:48 am

New guide lines on who gets treated.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... -patients/
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Reg Holdsworth » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:43 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::(

Data seems to show a link between age, underlying medical conditions but also smoking. Italy tops this list. Spain isn’t far behind, but I’m amazed we are also on the same trajectory. Worrying times right now.

Smoking won’t help for sure, but the reason for men dying at twice the rate of women in most age bands is seemingly due to the amount of the hormone estrogen in pre-menopausal women. The survival rates for younger women are predicted to be the highest; males and older females are thus potentially at greater risk, with increased age and pre-existing conditions being the main predictors of non-survival.

Be careful out there chaps!
Reg Holdsworth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum