{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A Definite improvement

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

A Definite improvement

Postby diablo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:34 pm

It is now 15 games since Mr Coughlan took over with the results of won 4, drawn 4, lost 7, goals for 23, goals against 25 so we are playing as a mid table side and so although not mathematically safe it is more or less certain we will be in League 2 next Season. Considering the quality of players he inherited and the poor start we had to the Season I think next Season will be a much more positive one for us all. COYS
diablo
First Team
First Team

Re: A Definite improvement

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:52 pm

I’ll drink to that
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:00 pm

I agree we're all but safe now, but 16pts from 15 games isn't usually mid table form, more like squeaky bum time form. Sooner this season is over the better.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:14 pm

Definitely not mid table points wise more like bottom 4, but there is definitely an improvement in the system he’s trying to employ.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:23 pm

diablo wrote:It is now 15 games since Mr Coughlan took over with the results of won 4, drawn 4, lost 7, goals for 23, goals against 25 so we are playing as a mid table side and so although not mathematically safe it is more or less certain we will be in League 2 next Season. Considering the quality of players he inherited and the poor start we had to the Season I think next Season will be a much more positive one for us all. COYS

So based on your figures that's a win ratio of less than 27%. Achieved with " the quality of players " that got us into fourth place last season. In the same league which had more quality teams last season than this. Sorry I can't get too enthusiastic at the moment.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
diablo wrote:It is now 15 games since Mr Coughlan took over with the results of won 4, drawn 4, lost 7, goals for 23, goals against 25 so we are playing as a mid table side and so although not mathematically safe it is more or less certain we will be in League 2 next Season. Considering the quality of players he inherited and the poor start we had to the Season I think next Season will be a much more positive one for us all. COYS

So based on your figures that's a win ratio of less than 27%. Achieved with " the quality of players " that got us into fourth place last season. In the same league which had more quality teams last season than this. Sorry I can't get too enthusiastic at the moment.

I don't think you're over flitcroft getting sacked yet, are you mate?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:29 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

It's nothing to do with that Bobby.

It's about expectations. Some fans are assuming we are going to be world beaters next season. I'm really happy with the win. Yet it needs to be put in context. We played 80minutes with an extra man and won by the odd goal.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:30 pm

The biggest improvement is that we clearly have a plan and the players are getting more familiar with it.

I fancy us to have a decent season next year. Maybe not top 3 but playoffs.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:36 pm

last 5 games is DLWLW. 1.4 points per game. which is 64.4 points over a season. Which is mid table form based on last season.

the 16pts from 15 games gives us 49pts over a season. So we are currently getting "better" results.

At the end of the day, these players need to impress GC enough to show why they should be here next season. Managers live and die by their decisions so basically the best thing we can do as fans is trust GC with whoever he retains and wipe the slate clean for next season. We also need to thank those leaving for their service and wish them well.

Most of this side finished 4th last season, a few less finished 8th the season before and a few finished 12th the season before that. They aren't "rubbish", they've been mis managed by a rookie this season, you don't progress like that and then suddenly become rubbish. GC has come in, with good experience in training senior players and is slowly sorting us out.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:25 pm

The last 5 games in the league last season DWLLL.

Dempsters last 5 games DLLLD

So we are improving.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:47 pm

There’s lots to be cautiously happy about.

As said, when he’s had the chance to bring in who he wants and get rid of who he doesn’t like we’ll see a big improvement next season.

The football might not be so easy on the eye but Lincoln got promoted playing the long ball more and are doing alright so why not us?

I’m pleased that the fitness levels have improved as has the closing down.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:10 am

Give him a chance, he tookover an unfit, demotivated team.

Will he join the top 11 next season

Steve Evans 44.74%
Paul Cox 44.83%
David Holdsworth 40.66%
Peter Morris 43.37%
Dave Smith 47.79%
Freddie Steele 49.59%
Charlie Mitten 42.61%
Stan Mercer 41.56%
Tommy Cummings 43.28%
Raich Carter 41.72%
Harry Parkes 42.65%

Graham Coughlan
Bristol Rovers 44.64%
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:07 pm

sunray wrote:

Give him a chance, he tookover an unfit, demotivated team.

Will he join the top 11 next season

Steve Evans 44.74%
Paul Cox 44.83%
David Holdsworth 40.66%
Peter Morris 43.37%
Dave Smith 47.79%
Freddie Steele 49.59%
Charlie Mitten 42.61%
Stan Mercer 41.56%
Tommy Cummings 43.28%
Raich Carter 41.72%
Harry Parkes 42.65%

Graham Coughlan
Bristol Rovers 44.64%

Andy wants him to have an interview before season starts :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:57 pm

Said it before, but I believe he will come good.

He seems like a realistic and pragmatic man from the old-school.

his attitude will get a very ordinary bunch of players to upper mid-table from their application alone. However, put a bit of quality throughout the team, specifically in midfield and out wide, the likes of Maynard will score plenty. A team with resilience, mental aptitude and the ability to score goals will challenge at the top end of the league.

Coughlan's managerial style will get us 70% there, the remaining 30% needs to be provided on the pitch by the players. We just need to see how well GC can operate in the market come the Summer. Are his targets going to elevate us to the next level? turn draws into wins, and losses into draws? Although wholesale changes are attractive at the moment, as someone has said before, we might be surprised how many he wants to keep. It could be more a quiet evolution, not revolution, with just a handful of better players in to complement what we already have - which to be fair, did finish 4th list time!

I've got a lot of time for GC, but my interest in this season has all but evaporated. For me, GC has got 10 free hits to find out a bit more about who he wants to keep, and who he gets rid of.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:15 pm

Keep the faith, GC next season with his own players will do the business, however I have to agree my interest in the rest of the season is dwindling a bit like the players
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:50 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

It's about expectations. Some fans are assuming we are going to be world beaters next season. I'm really happy with the win. Yet it needs to be put in context. We played 80minutes with an extra man and won by the odd goal.

Andy. Are you really saying that you cannot see the recent improvements?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 pm

The full impact Graham Coughlan's exit has taken on Bristol Rovers laid bare
The Irishman's impact on the training ground cannot go understated

Read more at https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... it-3929429
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:10 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
The full impact Graham Coughlan's exit has taken on Bristol Rovers laid bare
The Irishman's impact on the training ground cannot go understated

Read more at https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... it-3929429

Good article that
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:39 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Andy. Are you really saying that you cannot see the recent improvements?
I'm saying that any improvement has not translated into results and to expect that we will have a promotion winning side, (based on what we have seen so far) next season is stretching things.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:44 am

So a side in 4th changes manager. THey then struggle after that manager has gone. They replaced him with a managerial rookie. TThe form following this is less satisfactory that it was before. Anyone able to tell me where this has happened before? ;)

Look the proof is, as always, in the pudding. I just hope our board gives this manager longer than 2 transfer windows. Certainly longer than the 14 months DF got, if they don't then GC needs to have promotion wrapped up by the end of January 2021. That's a tall order :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:57 pm

gazza1988 wrote:So a side in 4th changes manager. THey then struggle after that manager has gone. They replaced him with a managerial rookie. TThe form following this is less satisfactory that it was before. Anyone able to tell me where this has happened before? ;)

Look the proof is, as always, in the pudding. I just hope our board gives this manager longer than 2 transfer windows. Certainly longer than the 14 months DF got, if they don't then GC needs to have promotion wrapped up by the end of January 2021. That's a tall order :lol:

I think they (the Radfords) will give CG more time than they gave DF.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jmustag » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:41 am

We are starting to see the improved difference, id love to see the stats in relation to us conceeding in the last five mins of the game, otherwise his percentage may have a completely different look.
Jmustag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stags 2002 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:46 pm

All available points in March have been taken so definitely on the up. Unbeaten during a calendar month for the first time this season, every cloud has a silver lining. :lol:
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum