{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mellis leaves by mutual agreement

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Mellis leaves by mutual agreement

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:25 pm

adamstag wrote:Looks like mellis and flitcroft are really pulling up trees in their respective roles at Bolton. Shock horror

Mellis has been there a couple weeks.... Flitcroft is the assistant, its really no surprise Bolton are doing so badly is it? What a daft comment.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:30 pm

Even more a daft comment when he says GC has a free pass for this season but doesn’t extend the courtesy to our ex-boss.

Anyone would think he didn’t like DF, not sure he said so though.
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:18 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
adamstag wrote:Looks like mellis and flitcroft are really pulling up trees in their respective roles at Bolton. Shock horror

Mellis has been there a couple weeks.... Flitcroft is the assistant, its really no surprise Bolton are doing so badly is it? What a daft comment.

Hardly. I just don’t see what the love in for him was. Taking into account the players they’ve transferred in January even the 2 Bolton fans I know (the advantage of being in manchester) are massively concerned by both hill and flitcroft - lack of plan B - like what happened here - odd comments in interviews, player favouritism. Not good at all.

If folk have difference of opinion cool, that’s the point of a message board, but I’d still not have him back.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:21 pm

What a balls post. Bolton are a joke side this year. No one could have saved them.

I’d suggest moving on
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:22 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

What a balls post. Bolton are a joke side this year. No one could have saved them.

I’d suggest moving on

Thanks for the advice. :lol:

I guess you’re right. It’s nothing but old news now consigned to history, the records will show a decent win percentage but unfortunately for him and us, no promotion.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:03 pm

I see Jacob Mellis started for Bolton in their 1-0 away defeat at Franchise FC on Saturday but was subbed after 57 minutes. He only made 16 passes (12 accurate) according to whoscored.com and 2 tackles.

He came on as a 82nd minute sub tonight in Bolton's 2-1 defeat at Blackpool.

Will Keith Hill and DF manage to keep their jobs until the end of the season?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:39 am

Bolton will be top of League 2 next season and Keith Hill will still be there in my view and will bring them onwards, there is no way they will sit in League 2 for a few seasons and neither will Southend.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:49 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

I’d say so given they had no players when they took over, what a ridiculous question trying to justify sacking DF in the summer, try more fishing trips.
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:15 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 am

tillydog123 wrote:Bolton will be top of League 2 next season and Keith Hill will still be there in my view and will bring them onwards, there is no way they will sit in League 2 for a few seasons and neither will Southend.

Portsmouth & Loooun thought the same I'm sure.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:58 pm

One of which is now in the championship and the other fighting to join them, point being?
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:05 pm

BigGuy wrote:One of which is now in the championship and the other fighting to join them, point being?

That they didn't expect so stay in League Two as long as they did?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
BigGuy wrote:One of which is now in the championship and the other fighting to join them, point being?

That they didn't expect so stay in League Two as long as they did?
Neither did we. I suspect we will be stuck in league two a lot longer than they were, despite our "top three budget".
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:04 pm

The point is, it's a lazy assumption that big clubs bounce back after relegation at the first attempt.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:11 pm

Sneag wrote:

The point is, it's a lazy assumption that big clubs bounce back after relegation at the first attempt.

Almost as lazy as not getting a fred up :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:55 pm

The One wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Almost as lazy as not getting a fred up :D

Chill out mofo, it's up.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:29 pm

BigGuy wrote:

I’d say so given they had no players when they took over, what a ridiculous question trying to justify sacking DF in the summer, try more fishing trips.

I'm not on a fishing trip and it's not a ridiculous question. Keith Hill has only won one of the last 13 games as Bolton manager and he is under pressure. Many Bolton fans have already lost confidence in him and want him out. There is a Keith Hill Out Thread on the Bolton forum. New owners also often have high expectations and can be very impatient.

From The Bolton News:
Asked whether he expected to be given the backing of the club’s board to continue, the Boltonian was typically frank.
“Time? It’s the only industry you don’t get time, I think. I have no idea (if I will get time) but I am stood here a proud man and that decision won’t be down to me. Do I want time? Of course I do. I want the opportunity to manage the club now and next season. What is the point of me doing all this hard work and going through this pain? I am not a masochist, I don’t like pain, that’s for sure. But I am going through it for a reason so I can be part of this future. I am here to help and I took on this job when there had been a massive earthquake. The building has stopped shaking but the foundations need underpinning, there’s no question about that. I can’t make those decisions. I am a proud man stood here doing what I want to do, doing what I have to do for a group of supporters, for a football club, for a group of players who are going through a lot of pain. And I will stand here and front that.”

Hill says he will take criticism for the recent run of poor results on the chin and while there was some improvement in the performance during the second half at Bloomfield Road, he accepts results have not met expectations. "I don’t think there’s anything we can do as a group,” he said. “It’s difficult to not accept the negativity of the run we are in, the embarrassment. But we have to put our head above the parapet and really go for it. It is difficult but I knew exactly what it was I was going to experience. I am not a prophet. There is a lot changed but it’s not evident at this moment in time. It is going to take time to see the big changes that are necessary. I knew the biggest risk of all was my risk, all my risk. But it’s a challenge I want to continue doing, one I really encouraged to take, I wanted to take and I am not going to shirk responsibility.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -comments/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:43 am

BigGuy wrote:

I'm not on a fishing trip and it's not a ridiculous question. Keith Hill has only won one of the last 13 games as Bolton manager and he is under pressure. Many Bolton fans have already lost confidence in him and want him out. There is a Keith Hill Out Thread on the Bolton forum. New owners also often have high expectations and can be very impatient.

From The Bolton News:
Asked whether he expected to be given the backing of the club’s board to continue, the Boltonian was typically frank.
“Time? It’s the only industry you don’t get time, I think. I have no idea (if I will get time) but I am stood here a proud man and that decision won’t be down to me. Do I want time? Of course I do. I want the opportunity to manage the club now and next season. What is the point of me doing all this hard work and going through this pain? I am not a masochist, I don’t like pain, that’s for sure. But I am going through it for a reason so I can be part of this future. I am here to help and I took on this job when there had been a massive earthquake. The building has stopped shaking but the foundations need underpinning, there’s no question about that. I can’t make those decisions. I am a proud man stood here doing what I want to do, doing what I have to do for a group of supporters, for a football club, for a group of players who are going through a lot of pain. And I will stand here and front that.”

Hill says he will take criticism for the recent run of poor results on the chin and while there was some improvement in the performance during the second half at Bloomfield Road, he accepts results have not met expectations. "I don’t think there’s anything we can do as a group,” he said. “It’s difficult to not accept the negativity of the run we are in, the embarrassment. But we have to put our head above the parapet and really go for it. It is difficult but I knew exactly what it was I was going to experience. I am not a prophet. There is a lot changed but it’s not evident at this moment in time. It is going to take time to see the big changes that are necessary. I knew the biggest risk of all was my risk, all my risk. But it’s a challenge I want to continue doing, one I really encouraged to take, I wanted to take and I am not going to shirk responsibility.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -comments/

It would be utter stupidity to sack Hill, therefore, it is likely he will be sacked. Bolton were dead men at the start of the season so bringing in Hill should have been the signal to build for a promotion challenge next season, this takes time and more than one transfer window, an argument I have had on here with many over the years! Anyway, if Bolton stick with Hill I suspect they will win League 2 next season, if they don't, I don't think they will.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:04 pm

I think Southend could keep falling. There's usually o e team that comes down from league 1 that struggles in league 2 the following season.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:05 pm

1970Stag wrote:I think Southend could keep falling. There's usually o e team that comes down from league 1 that struggles in league 2 the following season.

Especially with sol Campbell blaming everyone else apart from himself.

Surprised he hasn’t carted out the good ole faithful race card for his failures yet
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:03 pm

Bolton draw 0-0 at home with Accrington. Jacob Mellis was on the bench but did not come on. He does not seem to be being given much of a chance even though a lot of Bolton fans are saying their midfield is very weak.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Probably tossing it off in training like he was here.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:56 pm

The common denominator here is Jacob mellis - in short he’s a tit.

From Chelsea to Ipswich to Mansfield to Bolton - back to league 2 under hill and flitcroft (our of their control in fairness) he’s the reason he’s not doing well - mainly that he’s a tosspot.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby manssmooth » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:36 am

adamstag wrote:The common denominator here is Jacob mellis - in short he’s a tit.

From Chelsea to Ipswich to Mansfield to Bolton - back to league 2 under hill and flitcroft (our of their control in fairness) he’s the reason he’s not doing well - mainly that he’s a tosspot.

Please adam don't beat about the bush, tell us what you really think ;)
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby G B » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:26 am

manssmooth wrote:
adamstag wrote:The common denominator here is Jacob mellis - in short he’s a tit.

Please adam don't beat about the bush, tell us what you really think ;)

He does have a point though. You don't go from a promising career at Chelsea to Mansfield that quickly without underlying issues.
G B
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum